• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I start Camino in two weeks (December 2022)

Time of past OR future Camino
December 2022
I’ve been looking here for a while so not completely clueless but I just signed up to ask these questions.

I’m debating starting Camino Frances in a few weeks doing the 800 Km from SJPP.

I feel a call to do this. This timing fits into my life. But I haven’t committed because I realize December is not the best time and also the holiday season is not the best time.

My concerns are pretty basics. I guess centering around food and lodging as well as traveling alone.

I am well traveled in general, I have done several big hikes, I’m used to being outside in all weather, not in the best shape but fit enough.

I know people do the Camino in winter but it seems it will be very challenging just to find lodging. Case in point, someone last week posted here looking for recommendations for lodging in SJPP and I was curious so looked at these places and they were all closed for winter. I get that not every Albergue or hotel will be open but will I be able to find places at the recommended overnight towns? And same for restaurants especially with vegetarian requirements.

And I hear walking over Christmas makes it more difficult with even more places closing for the holiday.

I understand there is no correct answer but I would appreciate your insights to help with my last minute decision.

Thank you in advance

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have enjoyed walking in winter but it is definitely not as easy as in the normal "season ". I walked solo but met up with others, and found that I had more interactions with locals. There will be less bars etc open an it is very wise to carry food to cover lunch, dinner, breakfast eg dried soup, nuts, crackers, cheese.
There are lots of threads labelled with winter for advice and you should read these. In many cases you will need to ring/message ahead to book accommodation, and for Christmas etc you need to have a plan in place in advance. And having some extra money for a hotel or taxi is necessary. This website is invaluable as a starting point to what albergues are open http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

I love walking the camino in winter, but it is different to what the CF is in season. I am heading back to finish the Via Bayona in January for a week, and very excited!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have volunteered at 2 albergues over the holiday season and it was a lovely experience. These albergues were open all year round. My husband did some walking before Dec 15 and had no difficulties finding food or lodging.
We also did some walking between Jan 1 and Jan 8. one year. Be prepared that you may need to bus or taxi ahead or behind to find lodging in some areas on the CF. Also be prepared that some albergues may be quite cold as heat may not be on at night.

We used the Gronze site and the winter albergue site mentioned above to find lodging and I recommend you call ahead to let the hospitalero know you are coming. Usually just one day ahead is enough, and you may want to reserve a bed or room for holidays such as Dec 24 or 25, 31, Jan 1 and Jan 5, 6.

Many if not most communities will have celebrations during this holiday season and that can be a lot of fun if you take the time to participate.

Hi. I don't know if you have done any other caminos in Spain. I did 3 weeks in Norte last summer and I miss it terribly, so I am doing a week of the Francés in early December, only free period I've got is 3-8 December.
Use the web of Aprinca, which has already been posted. Also use Gronze and I would plan the places I'm staying in and call before (you can also use WhatsApp or email to make reservations). Because not so many pilgrims are walking at this time of the year and many albergues may be closed. This could be specially challenging for the Christmas period (in Spain, between the 24th and the 6th of January). You could find some places are closing for pilgrims and renting the whole albergue for groups of people making parties... This happened to me last September!. At the end of the year, it is more likely.
You also have the option of pension or casa rural. The prices could be between 40-60€. I used booking.com for this, but recently I have found that it's better to look for the places in Booking or Google maps and call directly: better places and much more availability.
As for food, I think it's not going to be an issue, bit I'm not sure about this route, as it is not very touristic. So I'll carry some of it and try to have breakfast/lunch in a bar when possible. I think most albergues have breakfast.
I will start in Burgos December 2nd, I hope we can share information, I am a little worried about the weather, as I am not used to long hiking in cold weather. Feel free to contact for some common planning! I am Spanish so with certain things or is easier for me.
Good luck if you decide to do it. I think it will be amazing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love walking in December. It’s a very special time to go - fewer pilgrims, shorter days, lots of closures. It just takes a bit more planning, packing-wise and walking-wise. Use Wise Pilgrim. Rather than breaking up your day the way pilgrims do in the summer, you’ll see the entire route in each region, and you’ll have all overnight accommodations in the app. Buen Camino! My book about winter walking might be helpful to you. It’s on Amazon.

@Willdtrout : You have expressed above your intention to begin your camino in SJpdP in December. I am hoping that you are aware that it is not permitted to walk the Napoleon route over the mountain in December. To do so is both dangerous and forbidden. It could cost you your life or a major fine if the bomberos have to rescue you, or try to. Buen (safe) camino.

I’ve been looking here for a while so not completely clueless but I just signed up to ask these questions.

I feel a call to do this. This timing fits into my life. But I haven’t committed because I realize December is not the best time and also the holiday season is not the best time.

My concerns are pretty basics. I guess centering around food and lodging as well as traveling alone.

I am well traveled in general, I have done several big hikes, I’m used to being outside in all weather, not in the best shape but fit enough.

I know people do the Camino in winter but it seems it will be very challenging just to find lodging. Case in point, someone last week posted here looking for recommendations for lodging in SJPP and I was curious so looked at these places and they were all closed for winter. I get that not every Albergue or hotel will be open but will I be able to find places at the recommended overnight towns? And same for restaurants especially with vegetarian requirements.

And I hear walking over Christmas makes it more difficult with even more places closing for the holiday.

I understand there is no correct answer but I would appreciate your insights to help with my last minute decision.

Thank you in advance
I believe the monastery will be open in Roncesvalles and one alberque in Zubiri ..you have a tent ??? Buen Camino whatever you decide as it be a challenge in itself

Can someone help me find the Gronze site for winter albergues?
Gronze does not have a specific site for winter albergues. They do show the opening/closing dates to the best of their knowledge. Gronze is only in Spanish but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice.

I mentioned another site that maintains a list of winter albergues on the Camino Francés in this post:

If you do decide to go, this website maintains a list of albergues that are open in the winter:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not sure you'd want to be camping in December.
Yes about 10c in the day and maybe down to 4c at night like what it is here in Wales at the present time , only suggestion I would have is double check what is open and maybe compare with Booking.com

I have enjoyed walking in winter but it is definitely not as easy as in the normal "season ". I walked solo but met up with others, and found that I had more interactions with locals. There will be less bars etc open an it is very wise to carry food to cover lunch, dinner, breakfast eg dried soup, nuts, crackers, cheese.
There are lots of threads labelled with winter for advice and you should read these. In many cases you will need to ring/message ahead to book accommodation, and for Christmas etc you need to have a plan in place in advance. And having some extra money for a hotel or taxi is necessary. This website is invaluable as a starting point to what albergues are open http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

I love walking the camino in winter, but it is different to what the CF is in season. I am heading back to finish the Via Bayona in January for a week, and very excited!
Thank you for sharing your tips and personal experiences

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have volunteered at 2 albergues over the holiday season and it was a lovely experience. These albergues were open all year round. My husband did some walking before Dec 15 and had no difficulties finding food or lodging.
We also did some walking between Jan 1 and Jan 8. one year. Be prepared that you may need to bus or taxi ahead or behind to find lodging in some areas on the CF. Also be prepared that some albergues may be quite cold as heat may not be on at night.

We used the Gronze site and the winter albergue site mentioned above to find lodging and I recommend you call ahead to let the hospitalero know you are coming. Usually just one day ahead is enough, and you may want to reserve a bed or room for holidays such as Dec 24 or 25, 31, Jan 1 and Jan 5, 6.

Many if not most communities will have celebrations during this holiday season and that can be a lot of fun if you take the time to participate.
Thank you for sharing
@Willdtrout : You have expressed above your intention to begin your camino in SJpdP in December. I am hoping that you are aware that it is not permitted to walk the Napoleon route over the mountain in December. To do so is both dangerous and forbidden. It could cost you your life or a major fine if the bomberos have to rescue you, or try to. Buen (safe) camino.
I have read this. Thank you for reminding me

Thank you in advance
I don't think it's a good decision to run over Christmas and the New Year, unless you are willing and able to run longer distances, even with plenty of snow, because many hostels are closed at Christmas/New Year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just spent a week in Burgos and (apart from Wednesday) felt sorry for the few pilgrims I saw. It was just rain, rain, rain and wind. But the muni was open.

LOL. Not very scientific, but I have walked the Camino in December two times, and have lived on the Meseta in December 14 times. I kinda notice.
Aha, then you can also tell me what the weather will be next year at the end of April 7 - beginning of May on the route from Burgos to Astrorga, including the Meseta. I have only hiked 11 times in Spain at this time and have experienced 3 weeks of continuous rain, 3 weeks without a drop from above, and often a mixture of both. My crystal ball and weather frog refuse to give me a forecast.

Yes, you should! Or at least I would if I had the opportunity. My first Camino was in December 2004, and I had a wonderful time. Just be sure to pack warm, waterproof clothing and research the next few nights' accommodation whenever you have wifi (though much less an issue if you have a mobile data plan).

Aha, then you can also tell me what the weather will be next year at the end of April 7 - beginning of May on the route from Burgos to Astrorga, including the Meseta. I have only hiked 11 times in Spain at this time and have experienced 3 weeks of continuous rain, 3 weeks without a drop from above, and often a mixture of both. My crystal ball and weather frog refuse to give me a forecast.
I can tell you what's happened in the past, but the Future's Not Ours to See.
I just spend the last four days out on the Way between Castrojeriz and Bercianos del Real Camino, picking up trash. Foggy mornings, some clouds, some sun... No rain. Despite a pretty dreary forecast.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.