• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I stay or should I go now? Which way is the best in January?

Just1k

Snould I stay or should I go now?
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Leon à Santiago (Octobre 2019)
Plata ou Costa ? Janvier 2020
Hello! I am new here!

So...I have been wondering for two weeks now : is it a good idea to go in the winter.

Do you guys have any advice on which way to take that would be easier ?
Is it warmer on Via de la Plata ? de la Costa? or another way ?

I usually travel by improvising, but it seems like it is not a way to go as you can be lost in the cold, walking more than 30kms because the hostels are closed.

I dont mind not taking a shower! But I do mind eating dry noodles in the dark in a stabble crying ! 😂

Thank you for your advices!

Down below are some thoughts on the cold weather

Arguments I m trying to weigh :

I have read a lot. People say :
- it's too cold
But I live in Quebec. Here though, we do have heaters.
- Being alone? Walking alone, I enjoy it. Sleeping alone in a foreign country. Not sure about that!
I ve been in a hostel in october where the hospitalero left the albergue at 9 o'clock leaving us three peregrinos alone... I was a bit scared at three, imagine alone, alone...
- Walking in bad weather conditions :
I have walked for 2 days under pouring rain in october and I was ok with it, with a good poncho.
Heavy mud for several hours, it would be too hard,
being in an albergue where the water freezes in the bowl... I mean that's not human / sensible.
We read a lot of stories :)

Attachments

• Camino Frances Octobre 2019.jpg
    Camino Frances Octobre 2019.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello! I am new here!

So...I have been wondering for two weeks now : is it a good idea to go in the winter.

I usually travel by improvising, but it seems like it is not a way to go as you can be lost in the cold, walking more than 30kms because the hostels are closed.

I dont mind not taking a shower! But I do mind eating dry noodles in the dark in a stabble crying ! 😂

- it's too cold
- Being alone? Walking alone, I enjoy it. Sleeping alone in a foreign country. Not sure about that!
I ve been in a hostel in october where the hospitalero left the albergue at 9 o'clock leaving us three peregrinos alone... I was a bit scared at three, imagine alone, alone...
I have walked for 2 days under pouring rain in october and I was ok with it, with a good poncho.
being in an albergue where the water freezes in the bowl... I mean that's not human / sensible.

Camino de Madrid
(it's cold everywhere in Spain)

How far do you want to walk? If you're just looking for a short Camino, Augusta (Cadiz - Seville) is definitely warm(ish), but there are very few pilgrims.

If you want company and facilities, most of Camino Francés is OK, even in winter. Skip the mountains, and look at this for open albergues.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had the same question, will leave in 2 weeks.
What I decided is that I will see at the last moment. I do like a camino where there some other people. My last camino was the portugese coastel in november. I did not meet anyone else, which was fine then. Now I prefer something else. That makes the Frances as my first choice.
But, if the weather will be very bad only in the north, I will still decide to go somewhere more south, Madrid. Sevilla or maybe Malaga.

Darling, you got to let me know
Should you stay or should you go?
If you say that you are mine
I'll be here 'til the end of time

So you got to let me know
It's always tease, tease, tease
You're happy when I'm on your knees

One day it's fine and next it's black
So if you want me off your back
Well, come on and let me know

Should you stay or should you go now?
Should you stay or should you go now?
If you go, there will be trouble
And if you stay it will be double

So come on and let me know
This indecision's bugging me
If you don't want me, set me free
Exactly whom I'm supposed to be
Don't you know which clothes even fit me?

:D (Ok a little change from my side on "you" and "I" in the lyrics).

Go! Camino Augusta sounds as a good solution.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lots of pilgrims are still walking this month.
According to the PIlgrim Office, 54 pilgrims arrived yesterday in Santiago.
So you won't be entirely alone.
I've heard a winter Camino can be beautiful, though challenging.
Whatever you decide, Buen Camino!

I chose to quote the lyrics that talked to me :

"One day it's fine and next it's black

"If you go, there will be trouble
And if you stay it will be double"

"So come on and let me know
This indecision's bugging me
If you don't want me, set me free
Exactly whom I'm supposed to be
Don't you know which clothes even fit me?"

Go! Camino Augusta sounds as a good solution.

Wow! I didnt know that this song was so deep and that I had answers in it.
I was actually referring to that song. It reminds me when we were in the car and my Australian lover was driving me to the airport in L.A. a while back :)

Thank you very much for you answer! I didnt know about the Augusta. I am going at the moment to do a search on the topic.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just looked up the weather forecast for the Augusta - sunny for the next 14 days with highs between 16 and 18 Celsius with lows usually around 7 lowest 3. If that is cold weather in Spain, you have nothing to worry about!

Notes on the forum suggest that you would have to stay in pensions so you wouldn't be alone, but you might not be with other pilgrims.

What is a pension like?

Hello! I am new here!

- it's too cold
Hola
Frances is easiest and "best" in winter.
Most albergues are open, most pilgrims are on route.
If you have a month you can start in Saint Jean and walk to Leon- After Leon you could change to The Camino Invernio, if you dont want to walk the same stretch again.
Else I wouold recommend Norte if not Frances.
VDLP and Camino Madrid have very few walking in Winter.
Alternatively you could check out Portuguese.
Still, id say Frances in Winter. :)
Buen Camino.
Lettinggo

Lettinggo

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maybe I am a Camino snob but I can't imagine walking in the winter, it would be cold and wet with soggy boots and garments and freezing cold accommodations. I live in Biarritz in the summer and walk the Camino in the warmer months and then hibernate to Florida for the winter. Like I said call me a snob.

The problem for me is that many albergues would be closed on the Via de la Plata. Pretty sure a lot of them won't open until March at the earliest.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The problem for me is that many albergues would be closed on the Via de la Plata. Pretty sure a lot of them won't open until March at the earliest.

I walked the Via de la Plata 2016 starting beginning of February and had no problem to find open albergues, the only closed ones where those that were permanently closed but the 'regular' ones were all open.
BC SY

I walked the Via de la Plata 2016 starting beginning of February and had no problem to find open albergues, the only closed ones where those that were permanently closed but the 'regular' ones were all open.
BC SY
I walked it in 2019 and remember seeing signs that many municipal albergues were closed for the winter. I don't think it was the case for private ones though.

is it a good idea to go in the winter.
which way to take that would be easier ?
I walked the Coastal from Porto + Variante Espiritual in Jan last year. Enjoyed it a lot! Will be walking in winter again if there is a chance! The route is popular, the infrastructure is very good after Porto, all or most of the albergues are open, and even out of season there will be people on the way. Some of the buisnessness might be closed for the winter so if you see an open bar and you are hungry then take your opportunity. I posted about my walk here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...r-those-who-consider-walking-in-winter.65099/ Make sure to take wanterproofs and also smth warm to chance into in the albergues as there heating might be tricky. Sleeping bag might be handy if you are staying in municipal albergues. Bom Camino! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back