• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I take a sleeping bag? (early October camino)

Joseito

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Hi all, I'm starting my camino at SJPdP on Sept 29th, I'll be walking for about two weeks until I reach Burgos.

I have my gear 95% complete, however, I'm still not sure about what to do for my sleeping gear. My plan all along was to take a cotton sleeping bag liner, which I already have, but now I'm having second thoughts and debating if I should take a light sleeping bag or not.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Only if it is a summer weight bag....no more than a kilo in weight, at the most.
Albergues in early October not that cold.

Depends on how warm you are yourself :)
I was walking in October last year using a fleece liner from SeatoSummite - I was COLD! Luckily there are blankets in most albergues. In a few places though I had to put on all my clothes and put a rain poncho on top of myself to keep warm.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
starting my camino at SJPdP on Sept 29th, I'll be walking for about two weeks until I reach Burgos.

Me too, turns out its the feast day of the Archangel Michael, the feast of feasts. My plan was to walk to Leon and expect it should take three weeks and last year it took me two weeks to reach Burgos so good guestimation 🤠

My plan all along was to take a cotton sleeping bag liner, which I already have, but now I'm having second thoughts and debating if I should take a sleeping bag

I left St Jean 9th Sept last year with little more than a silk sleeping bag liner, apparently bedbugs find it less attractive that the heat generated by cotton. I never had a cold night and didn't need or want additional blankets (bugs paradise). If cold I'd wear clothes in bed. I walked right up until November and didnt need anything more than carried. I also carried a bedbug sheet and my own travel pillow and never slept in bottom bunk, (for not so obvious reasons) and not one bite in two Caminos back to back. This time around I was contemplating taking a lightweight 2 season sleeping pack but then remembered my own advice. Multiple use items is worth consideration and my turkish towel offered another layer if needed, after 25km days body temperature rises and if anything rooms were too hot plus staying in municipal albergues there is enough heat generated by other pilgrims in close proximity plus listening to snorers, middle of the night toileters and bag rustlers should take your mind off any cold spots. Ultreia 🤠

Last edited:
I am starting a day before you and also walked during same time 2 years ago. I am carrying same sleeping bag I took in 2017, a 45 degree down bag.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all, I'm starting my camino at SJPdP on Sept 29th
Hi Joseito,
We are also starting from SJPP on Sept. 29 and are taking light weight sleeping bags because on previous trips to Spain in October we have been cold in buildings with no heat.
Hoping to see you along the way (we are staying at Beilari),
Elaine, Ned, and Marie

This thread is turning out to be a Calander feature that no-one uses..

I've booked the Beilari also for the same night. Have you arranged travel plans to SJPdP? I was considering the Express Bourricot but need numbers to get the price down to 19 euro one way from Biarritz to St.Jean anyone? Arriving around 3pm on 28th September!🤠 👍

Last edited:
So now you have two answer - both different.
It just depends on you.
Do you sleep warm or cold.
I found many albergues to be very cold in October with no heat.
I never travel the Camino without my lightweight down sleeping bag.
I've frozen in June in Santo Domingo.
She's got a point....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We've hiked camino frances twice, both times starting in September and ending in October. A 2 season sleeping bag that can be compressed into a stuff sack is essential. Some of the nights can be quite cold. A few occasions, I climbed into my silk sleep sack, then into my sleeping bag to stay warm. For our upcoming camino, we are staying in private rooms each night, so are leaving our sleeping bags behind. Bob

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated! I don't get cold that easily, so I might just wing it with a liner and then if it gets too cold, just start putting on layers, like @Derrybiketours said.

Hi Joseito,
We are also starting from SJPP on Sept. 29 and are taking light weight sleeping bags because on previous trips to Spain in October we have been cold in buildings with no heat.
Elaine, Ned, and Marie

Hopefully we'll see each other on the camino! I'm staying at a small hotel because I'll be arriving late by bus on the 28th and I'm only going up to Orisson on the 29th, so I wont be leaving super early, otherwise I would have definitely booked a bed at Beilari.

Thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated! I don't get cold that easily, so I might just wing it with a liner and then if it gets too cold, just start putting on layers, like @Derrybiketours said.

Hopefully we'll see each other on the camino! I'm staying at a small hotel because I'll be arriving late by bus on the 28th and I'm only going up to Orisson on the 29th, so I wont be leaving super early, otherwise I would have definitely booked a bed at Beilari.
That's makes two shivering Pilgrims on the way, my routine involves walking in clothes I wore night before, walking into shower in Albergue with clothes on, washing clothes with black African soap, removing clothes and continue washing. Rinse and hang out to dry or pin to my pack following day. Retire for evening and change into fresh set of walking clothes and up and away already dressed at crack of dawn, I carry a 22 litre pack so everything is considered, tested and by no means would I describe a sleeping bag essential in September/October plus alternatives are just as efficient, Orisson is a good opportunity to break up first day and meet your Camino family 🤠

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes -- though probably you'll only need a super-light one.

Only if for whatever reason(s) you might need to sleep out some nights would you want a heavier one.

Hi all, I'm starting my camino at SJPdP on Sept 29th, I'll be walking for about two weeks until I reach Burgos.

I have my gear 95% complete, however, I'm still not sure about what to do for my sleeping gear. My plan all along was to take a cotton sleeping bag liner, which I already have, but now I'm having second thoughts and debating if I should take a light sleeping bag or not.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I have walked four complete different Caminos, always in Sept/Oct. I have never taken more than a silk sleep sheet. There were a couple of nights on the Camino via de la Plata that I needed a blanket, which the hospitalario provided. And yes you can wear your fleece and tights if you are cold.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
washing clothes with black African soap,

OK I’ll bite.

What (apart from the obvious) is black African soap? Why is it superior to other colours of African soap or black soap from other continents?

Honestly - never come across it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ordered a six-pack.

Every day’s a school day.
Be weary of the sting, took me by surprise first time I used it. One bar did 3 camino and skin smoother than proverbial baby 🤠

Today will be my fourth night on Camino Frances and only in SJPD I were given a blanket in albergue. I slept in thermolite liner and it was a little bit cold, so I think it's better to have 500 gr down sleeping bag (10-11°C comfort)

First week in October in Najera I nearly froze my . . . Well let's just say it was cold! My dorm-mates left the window open and the cold draft also wafted in the smoke from the sidewalk below. ANYWAY - that night in particular I was quite thankful for my 32 degree 25 oz down sleeping bag. While all the albergues I stayed in offered blankets at an extra cost, I was happy to carry the extra weight.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First week in October in Najera I nearly froze my . . . Well let's just say it was cold! My dorm-mates left the window open and the cold draft also wafted in the smoke from the sidewalk below. ANYWAY - that night in particular I was quite thankful for my 32 degree 25 oz down sleeping bag. While all the albergues I stayed in offered blankets at an extra cost, I was happy to carry the extra weight.
Sometimes, Dan, it is better to keep control over your night environment than to surrender it to others whom may not be able to meet your needs. Excellent choice carrying a down bag.

On reflection I decided to take on-board the advice expressed here. Normally I'd make do with a 100 gram silk sleeping bag liner but instead of opting for a two season 900+ gram sleeping bag I went for a 700 gram thermal blanket .(its not the 300 as marketed on amazon 🤔) A good compromise for extra heat (7 degrees), space saving (6"×6") and doubles as picnic blanket as one-side water proof (1.9m×1.6m) so thank you Pilgrims and here's a link for anyone looking to make their 2 season bag closer to 3 🤠
Modern day Woobie blanket made in UK

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
the liner now or not.
I'd take it, its compact and gives flexibility to sleep with only liner if too hot, liner and sack if cooler and keeps inside of sleeping bag clean, only requiring washing liner that dries quickly. 🤠

I sometimes resist the urge to chime in on these threads, but hey, here I go. I am pasting in a post from the last time I got on my soapbox. My bottom line is that no one’s advice is any good, it’s an individual question.

Sorry to get on my soap box, but all the categorical advice like “yes, you need a sleeping bag” or “no, a liner is all you need” is good only for the person giving that advice and not for anyone else. Everyone here is trying to give good advice, of course, but whether any person needs a sleeping bag or not depends on the temperature range in which that person can sleep comfortably with or without bags or liners. That is an extremely individual physical characteristic. I “run cold”, so I always take a bag. I also take lambswool gloves — I left them home this year, and though I started in June, there were mornings when my hands were frozen. My walking buddy’s hands were fine.

I always tell people who ask — if you are the one who brings a sweater into restaurants and theaters during the summer because the AC is too cold, you likely need a sleeping bag at any time of year. If you love the icy AC, and go in wearing sleeveless shirts and shorts, you likely don’t.

Anyway, my point is that just because 45 people say that you need a bag and 35 people say that you don’t, that really doesn’t help you answer the question. And just to make it more interesting, it appears that there is a gender correlation.
https://www.glamour.com/story/theres-a-scientific-reason-women-are-always-colder-than-me

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
also take lambswool gloves — I left them home this year, and though I started in June, there were mornings when my hands were frozen.
This is not my advice but in my experience I'm reminded of a friend I met on the trail who said 'opinions are like an aholes, everybody has one' 😉 I have used my spare merino socks as substitute gloves and for me every piece of kit has to have multiple uses although challenging to find multiple uses for my walking shoes, flower pot or anti-snoring device perhaps 🤠

Last edited:
So I thought I'd check in after my camino, in case that someone else had the same question.

I took a lightweight sleeping bag(15°) and it was the right choice for me, it wasn't particularly cold on most days, but I always took it out to lay on top of it and I would usually put my feet inside. It started getting cold during the last 2-3 days, but the sleeping bag was enough to keep me warm. I slept wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

If I had started a couple of weeks earlier then I'd probably gotten away with just a sleeping bag liner.

I started on Sept 30th from SJPdP and finished on October 16th in Burgos.

Buen Camino!

I'm still a ways off from my first Camino so can't offer any direct advice - but I can say that I almost never travel anywhere without my Kelty Bestie Blanket, which is light(ish), warm when needed, resists dirt and muck, and can double as a picnic/lap blanket when needed. Planning on using this + a silk liner next fall.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.