• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I take the alt. Route to bonneville abbey tomorrow?

kelleymac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.
I am currently in in Nasbinols and am headed to Aubrac tomorrow morning. I am considering walking to condom and then to bonneville abbey the next day. The weather should be good, but it looks a little isolated - I am a 55 yo female walking alone--also I'd miss saint-Comt-d'Olt. Ideas? Recommendations?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am considering walking... to bonneville abbey ...--also I'd miss saint-Comt-d'Olt. Ideas? Recommendations?
Personally, I'd take the Abbey variant. It looks very interesting! http://www.abbaye-bonneval.com/frame_new/hotellerie/saint_jacques.php In all my walks, the opportunity to stay in monastic houses was a real highlight. In addition to re-connecting with the historic pilgrimage, one has the opportunity for spiritual re-connection as well.

But - there are no bad choices here. And you will be back to France another year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Personally, I'd take the Abbey variant. It looks very interesting! http://www.abbaye-bonneval.com/frame_new/hotellerie/saint_jacques.php In all my walks, the opportunity to stay in monastic houses was a real highlight. In addition to re-connecting with the historic pilgrimage, one has the opportunity for spiritual re-connection as well.

But - there are no bad choices here. And you will be back to France another year.
I walked twice this part of the GR 65 and until now I never read or heard about the "Abbaye Bonneval" - variant which seems also very nice!

I walked the Abbeye variant. It was beautiful, if a bit lonesome. I walked alone for two days. On Condon d'Albrac a kind woman at the village office opened the municple center for me, and the cafe owners opened the cafe so I could have dinner, breakfast, and a picnic lunch. Parts of the path took me between some walls higher than my heads-- with the paths only a meter wide! Between Condom d'Albrac and the Abbeye Bonneval was only 15 km so I thought it would be an easy and quick walk. But the paths were steep and the going slow both climbing up and making my way down. The path was lined with wet stones that shone with flecks if mica-- and there were thousands of chestnuts on the pathway. I fell three times, the second time I broke one of my walking sticks. There was no cell phone coverage and there was no one else walking-- so it was just me and God. On the third fall it took me numerous attempts to get back up-- there were just so many chestnuts and the path was narrow. I proceeded very very slowly after that fall. -- the actual stay at Bonneval was fine. It was very quiet-- I had a room to myself and meals with a few others --I was the only one walking. The singing was beautiful. The place is huge-- the chocolate is very good-- I only wish it were not so empty.

Last edited:
I walked the Abbeye variant. It was beautiful, if a bit lonesome.
Thanks so much for reporting back with your experience! Indeed, the paths (even the main route) can be very steep, stony, and treacherous in that part of France. How did you contact the abbey for reservation: by email or by phone?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks so much for reporting back with your experience! Indeed, the paths (even the main route) can be very steep, stony, and treacherous in that part of France. How did you contact the abbey for reservation: by email or by phone?
I called them by phone in the early afternoon the day before I arrived, literally right at the turn off from GR65 onto the blue marked path. ( just look for the tall cross -- ha.).

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back