• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should we expect Albergue rates to go up this year?

Wandershot

CarolG
Time of past OR future Camino
2014 Camino Frances: Burgos to Santiago
I'm wondering about the albuerges because of COVID and the related economic impact.
1. Have many albuerges closed?
2. Should we expect rate inflation?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How much? Now that is a question that nobody has the answer to.
We should just expect and accept it. (a rise in cost) It will be more expensive on the Caminos. I, for one, will completely understand it. The situation is bad for the locals and needs to be brought back to sustainable.

Which is not strange. It is time for all of us, but just IMHO, to lift the Camino back to its real existence. I should say that I will happily accept additional costs: Many albergues have been out of business for more then one year: I can only imagine their losses and desperation for income. It is so sad for our friendly helpers on our Way.

As I walk my next Camino, I will have all this in my mind: Paying gladly for my bed, if a few Euros more expensive; accepting higher prices for my cold beer break, but being more generous with my tipping, hoping that every penny (I am not rich) will be welcomed.

I just feel with the people, and will try my best (with not much means) to help where help is clearly needed.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm wondering about the albuerges because of COVID and the related economic impact.
Good questions Wandershot,,,,,,,

Answers:
1 we don’t know yet.
2. Yes, and God willing, those who can afford it will give more than asked on the day so the albergue will remain open another day for those that follow us.

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good questions Wandershot,,,,,,,

Answers:
1 we don’t know yet.
2. Yes, and God willing, those who can afford it will give more than asked on the day so the albergue will remain open another day for those that follow us.

Buen Camino
With regards to albergues prices: they are housing fewer pilgrims and will need to charge more for those beds.

With regards to albergues prices: they are housing fewer pilgrims and will need to charge more for those beds.
Furthermore, the effort and overheads involved in running an albergue have increased because of enhanced sanitary measures and reporting etc. but pilgrims are no richer than they were before the pandemic. There are some challenging months and years ahead for both non-profit and for-profit albergues.

Hola - well the easy answer is how much have prices in your area for food, fuel (petrol/gas etc), travel and entertainment increased in the past two or three years. The private accommodation operators have just experienced a year with virtually no incomes. So yes IMHO there will be or you can expect increases. Please do not complain if a place listed in the 2019 guide was charging E10/12 per night is now asking E15, or more. If you frequent the "donativo" establishments then please ensure that your donation is meaningful (for me this is based on "how much did I pay at the comperable establishment last night or two nights ago.). Hope you able to enjoy the camino in the very near future. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Personally I think that most Albergues will reopen, maybe with a new owner or under new management.
Prices will rise. The local government of Galicia announced it quite a while ago and many owners of commercial Albergues will (or better have to) do it, too.
But: some Albergues will never reopen, that is for sure, too.

I will be happy to give 15€ instead of 10-12€ for the night.

BC
Roland

It might go slightly up but nothing unexpected. If you go to your local pub these days, it is probably gonna be more expensive than last year as they need to compensate for the losses. We might even see a bit of shift in accommodation on the Camino as some pilgrims will never ever want to sleep with a group of strangers after these COVID times. At the end of the day, the quality of services on the camino should improve in the long run

Indeed, a chicken-and-egg scenario: less pilgrims = higher costs; higher costs = less pilgrims.

Another affiliated question, will it be the end of bunk beds?

Personally I believe that the costs will rise considerably, and if, due to social distancing, bed numbers are halved in each establishment then (a) prices may more than double and (b) there may be more Albergues, pensiones etc. opening in the longer term to make up that lack of beds for a reasonable return on their capital, if ( a big if) numbers remain as high as in the post "Way" past.

It could also mean the end of those walkers with short arms and distant pockets.😜

If you add 2 euros to the price you are pretty much there. And then some places do not have dormitories because of restrictions. Then you are about the current budget.

And yes, quite a few places closed :/

Hola - well the easy answer is how much have prices in your area for food, fuel (petrol/gas etc), travel and entertainment increased in the past two or three years. The private accommodation operators have just experienced a year with virtually no incomes. So yes IMHO there will be or you can expect increases. Please do not complain if a place listed in the 2019 guide was charging E10/12 per night is now asking E15, or more. If you frequent the "donativo" establishments then please ensure that your donation is meaningful (for me this is based on "how much did I pay at the comperable establishment last night or two nights ago.). Hope you able to enjoy the camino in the very near future. Buen Camino.

And minimum wage almost doubled over the last couple of years in Spain

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We should just expect and accept it. (a rise in cost) It will be more expensive on the Caminos. I, for one, will completely understand it. The situation is bad for the locals and needs to be brought back to sustainable.

Which is not strange. It is time for all of us, but just IMHO, to lift the Camino back to its real existence. I should say that I will happily accept additional costs: Many albergues have been out of business for more then one year: I can only imagine their losses and desperation for income. It is so sad for our friendly helpers on our Way.

As I walk my next Camino, I will have all this in my mind: Paying gladly for my bed, if a few Euros more expensive; accepting higher prices for my cold beer break, but being more generous with my tipping, hoping that every penny (I am not righ) will be welcomed.

I just feel with the people, and will try my best (with not much means) to help where help is clearly needed.
I totally agree. For those of you who feel that the Camino should continue to be affordable, I ask why do these good folks have to work hard and sacrifice for your needs, especially after a long and devastating economic downturn? I know it sounds harsh, but if you can't afford the long-distance expenses, perhaps you should walk a shorter distance (Sarria-SDC or?). If you need a Compostela, you can get it for walking only 100 KM-plus. No one is entitled to (nor needs to) walk from St. Jean (for example). It's all good.

I totally agree. For those of you who feel that the Camino should continue to be affordable, I ask why do these good folks have to work hard and sacrifice for your needs, especially after a long and devastating economic downturn? I know it sounds harsh, but if you can't afford the long-distance expenses, perhaps you should walk a shorter distance (Sarria-SDC or?). If you need a Compostela, you can get it for walking only 100 KM-plus. No one is entitled to (nor needs to) walk from St. Jean (for example). It's all good.

It becomes a problem when the majority can not afford it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good Morning Not sure if the prices have increased because i do not know what the pre covid prices were . I booked last week for mid august in Orisson @42 euro taxes in and roncesvalles @25 euro.

I respectfully but totally disagree with you. I do believe as others have mentioned that those who can be more generous than ever.
As I walk my next Camino, I will have all this in my mind: Paying gladly for my bed, if a few Euros more expensive; accepting higher prices for my cold beer break, but being more generous with my tipping, hoping that every penny (I am not righ) will be welcomed.
One of the great memories and experiences many of us have had is either finding ourselves or watching others giving or receiving great acts of generosity.
As Rebekah Scott said:
Be especially generous at donativo and "minimum charge" places. They are becoming endangered species.
These are the places where those less fortunate depend to walk their caminos.
The need and length of one pilgrim’s Camino must never be based on their economic status. If we were going to apply that logic and I shudder to think we would then those of greater economic abilities should cut their caminos short so those less fortunate can walk. Generosity of a smile and a sympathetic ear is wonderful.
The anonymous generosity of someone’s wallet to help a Spaniard or a less fortunate pilgrim is a blessing or as the a Jewish religion calls it a mitzvah. People have tremendous burdens that they carry that often need time to heal and reflect on. Someone’s economic hardships should never be an additional burden.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nothing will be more expensive but much will be less cheap.

I’d challenge anyone to find me anywhere in Western Europe where so much affordable food and lodging is available as it is along the majority of the CF.
"Nothing will be more expensive but much will be less cheap."
Well said. Thank you.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I can personally afford higher prices but do feel for those people who have to budget very carefully if they want to do a longer walk like the full Frances.
Being from the US, I’ve always found prices in Spain to be extremely affordable (€3 for a copa of vino, yes please). But these tiny towns that depend upon pilgrim revenue are really hurting right now.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am sure that I recently saw a new reservation site for municipal albergues in Galicia and remember the price of €8 which would be inline with a €1 per year increase (2017 I paid €5, 2018 €6) at municipal.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I can personally afford higher prices but do feel for those people who have to budget very carefully if they want to do a longer walk like the full Frances.
Being from the US, I’ve always found prices in Spain to be extremely affordable (€3 for a copa of vino, yes please). But these tiny towns that depend upon pilgrim revenue are really hurting right now.
Wandershot,
May I humbly offer to you a personal bag carrying, sight-seeing, all singing, all dancing, all happy-clapping, everything Scottish in welcome and blessings older, but interesting Camino companion ,,,,,,,,,,,, me😂

Buen (continue being empathetic) Camino.

Just returned from an eight days Camino on the Francés.
Many albergues were closed but some are opening its doors for high season.
The prices are a little bit higher, but it could be because we choose some hostels and private acomodations, due the lack of traditional albergues in some stages.
Paying let's say 12 to 18 euros for a night in a bed (nor a bunk) with disposable sheets in a room with only 50% of its capacity due Covid measures, don't appears expensive to me .

Last edited:
Due to Covid and the many seasonal and mandatory (Covid) closings, I can foresee many albergues permanently closing and/or going up for sale.
With that in mind some, who are looking towards retiring in Spain and opening an albergue, might want to keep their eyes open for a business opportunity of this kind. There could be a silver lining in this pandemic for both the buyer and the seller coming out with a win-win situation...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back