• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should we give up on Triacastela?

Diana Kringelbach

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago (2017)
Looking for a little adwise.

My son and I are arriving at the airport i Santiago de Compostela next Sunday the 14.th. We have 8 full days for hiking and really wanted to start out in Triacastela, but it seems very hard to get there Sunday evening. Apperently there is no bus until Monday 6 PM. My son (16) has a small handicap with his feet and we would need 8 days to make it to Santiago from Triacastela so Monday night is to late for us as it would cost us a day for walking.
Should we just let it rest and start out in Sarria? Or does anyone have little transport tricks up their sleeve. I have tried to have a Spanish speeking friend call local taxi-companies serverer times, but no one answers the phone and it might also be very expensive.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

My son and I are arriving at the airport i Santiago de Compostela next Sunday the 14.th. We have 8 full days for hiking and really wanted to start out in Triacastela, but it seems very hard to get there Sunday evening. Apperently there is no bus until Monday 6 PM. My son (16) has a small handicap with his feet and we would need 8 days to make it to Santiago from Triacastela so Monday night is to late for us as it would cost us a day for walking.
Should we just let it rest and start out in Sarria? Or does anyone have little transport tricks up their sleeve. I have tried to have a Spanish speeking friend call local taxi-companies serverer times, but no one answers the phone and it might also be very expensive.

Hello Diana,

I don't know from where you are flying in but if from far way it might be a good idea to take your time and just relax a bit in Sarria. Especially if you planned eight days as it is.
Ok, Triacastela to Sarria via Samos monastery is a nice etapa and you could ask for a taxi from Sarria to Triacastela. But in terms of landscape the part from Sarria to Santiago is equally nice.

By next week I guess the huge crowds will be gone but there will still be enough pilgrims to interact with.
And Santiago de Compostela is such a lovely city to stay another night too :)

To both of you : Enjoy it to the fullest!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ehem...did you notice that next Sunday is 15th? I mention that just in case you are making reservations the wrong day...
There is another option. Go to Piedrafita on Sunday (ALSA bus, around 3.5 hrs), take next morning the o6:45 Monbus to Triacastela -no reservation needed. You will be there at 07:33, just in time for a cofffe (there is a restaurant facing the bus stop) and start walking in good time.
That depends on the hour you are arriving at SdeC, obviously.
upload_2017-10-8_11-23-7.png
The alternative is to take it easy, and start to "decompress" from our hectic daily schedules. The success of your pilgrimage does not depend on the distances walked.
Buen camino!

Thank you guys! It is great to get your view on things to make a decision. I am fine with staying in Sarria but my son is really keen on a bit of elevation. And Filipe - you are of course rights on the date:). We are leaving from Denmark to London on the 14th and then on to Santiago De Compostela on the 15th. Is the schedule with departure from Santiago de Compostela city?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think starting in Triacastela and walking via Samos (or starting in Samos) would be very nice because they are the last two quiet (and very beautiful) segments before all of the post Sarria hustle and bustle. Although I'm sure things are not nearly as busy now after Sarria as they were in June. In Samos, we stayed at Casa Licerio http://www.everyonehasastory.world/casalicerio/ . The young American* woman who runs the place was especially helpful and I think she might be able to help you with your transportation question. There is also a nice albergue in Samos with excellent food! Hope that helps. Good luck and Buen Camino!
*EDIT I should have said English speaking - I have no idea if she was American, but she was very helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_4469.JPG
    IMG_4469.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4489.JPG
    IMG_4489.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Enjoy the time you have, don’t measure it in stages. 6 stages, 5 stages, it’s about what you take away from your Camino. If you start in Sarria, take 6 days instead of 5 and explore a bit of Galicia. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello Diana,

By next week I guess the huge crowds will be gone but there will still be enough pilgrims to interact with.

I'll be in Triacastela on the 12th. I am ahead of PLENTY of lovely folks to interact with! No worries about that issue. Welcome to the Camino Frances "Gray Wave" 2017 (as they are calling it)!

Triacastela is after the elevation. You may be thinking of O Cebreiro. There is not a lot to see between Triacastela and Sarria unless you go through Samos, which is worth a visit.
That is really good o know. Now I am certain to start out in Sarria an enjoy the trip from there. Thank you all again. This was great help to me.
BUEN Camino til all off you out there. Might see you soon:)

Best Regards
Diana

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola @Diana - given your son's situation and your tight deadline I agree with commencing in Sarria. If you are looking for "hills" well there are enough of them in that last 100 km to satisfy almost every walker (Sarria/Portomarin/Palas De Rei - comes to mind. Yes not 1500 metres but at the end of your 20 km day walking up hill to your bed is no fun). Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi Diana , my sister and I just finished 200kms of the Camino . She just got a new hip a year ago therefore very Steeple elevations ie mountains were out for us. We took taxi from the base of O Ceb to Samos and then started walking again. One if my favorite days was the alternative route as leaving Samos - keep to your right as your leaving the town ,up a hill tree lined road . Be sure to have a light lunch and snacks to enjoy a long the way and a couple of waters because it will be a wonderful 7 or 8 Kms before you run into any great amount of civilization again . I think we seen one car that day ! But there were a couple of churches and a couple of farms . It may spoil you for the rest of the Camino because it was like the way I imagine the Camino to be . The only two days of walking out of 10 that were the Camino trail I had in my mind were the two 'alternative ' trails . I'm not as much of a fan of taking the routes along side the roads.
Have fun , enjoy
Buen Camino

Once you get to tricastella it's easy enough to get a taxi from the bus station. If that fails as someone else mentioned any bar or just ask at the booking office. Language shouldn't be an issue if you have no spanish. Taxi? Is a fairly universal word From my memory it cost about 20 or 25. It was nice to experience a stage with less people. It will work out don't stress....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I had the best stay of the whole Camino in Triacastela Albergue A Horta de Abel I loved it and can understand why you wanted to stay there. It’s alsi a great walk into a Sarria, mind you if you do the the complete France camino you would bypass Saria and stay at Barbadelo and extra 3.4 km

We got back to Ireland from Santiago last night so I am only seeing your post now. We got a taxi from Sarria to Triacastela, it cost €27.00. We walked the hillier version via Samos to Sarria and I must say it was one of our favourite days of the walk to Santiago. The hill after Samos was really tough but we learnt from it and stopped half way up every other hill we met after it. It was lovely and quiet the day we did it and did see a huge increase on the Road from Sarria onwards.

There is a steep hill on the road from Portomarin to Palas de Rei that your son will love and the view is amazing from it. He will have loads of hills on the walk to Santiago.

Buen Camino and make fabulous memories as I and my Dad did on our trip.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back