• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should we or shouldn't we?

Annette19

Time of past OR future Camino
This is NOT a question of - Do you think the Camino will be open for pilgrims in late Aug. through early Oct. Rather, I'm wondering if U.S. travelers are allowed into Spain by then, should we go or wait until 2022? We have been planning to walk during this time period for about 4 years now as a milestone memory for our retirement. I'll admit the religious pilgrimage is not what is driving my interest. I'm more excited about meeting fellow pilgrims from various cultural backgrounds, experiencing an extended time period in another country and interacting with locals, the physical and mental challenge of walking so many miles, the natural beauty and architecture of northern Spain, along with a few other reasons. If the travel restrictions are lifted, I'm assuming there will be fewer travelers anyway. Will we be missing a piece of the camino experience? Will it actually be better with less crowds and more available beds? If we wait until 2022 I'm also assuming it will be very crowded due to everyone walking who postponed trips in 20-21 and the extension of the the holy year. Are there advantages/disadvantages we haven't thought of?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Annette19 on your first post :)

No one can really predict the overall dynamics of what will be, and when it will be. If you wait for all stars to align perfectly, then that can create other problems or issues that may be less to your liking. Part of experiencing the Camino is to take it as it comes. To let the Camino provide. To be open to experiencing what is given as it occurs. THAT is the Camino experience.

All the other stuff, the pilgrims, the architecture, the villages, the people, etc will all be there. If Spain is open to tourism, then the Camino infrastructure will be there to one extent or another.

Personally, I would just pick the time of year and season I want to go on Camino, and then go.

This is NOT a question of - Do you think the Camino will be open for pilgrims in late Aug. through early Oct. Rather, I'm wondering if U.S. travelers are allowed into Spain by then, should we go or wait until 2022? We have been planning to walk during this time period for about 4 years now as a milestone memory for our retirement. I'll admit the religious pilgrimage is not what is driving my interest. I'm more excited about meeting fellow pilgrims from various cultural backgrounds, experiencing an extended time period in another country and interacting with locals, the physical and mental challenge of walking so many miles, the natural beauty and architecture of northern Spain, along with a few other reasons. If the travel restrictions are lifted, I'm assuming there will be fewer travelers anyway. Will we be missing a piece of the camino experience? Will it actually be better with less crowds and more available beds? If we wait until 2022 I'm also assuming it will be very crowded due to everyone walking who postponed trips in 20-21 and the extension of the the holy year. Are there advantages/disadvantages we haven't thought of?
Can you hang on a bit longer? The camino has been there for, give or take a decade, around 1200 years so it should still be there in 2022, and hopefully, so will we. As for the numbers of other pilgrims, walk another route if you are worried about crowds, otherwise, as davebugg says, take it as it comes - que sera, sera.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Annette, re what you will experience, I am with Dave Bugg, the Camino you go on will be your Camino experience and if you start scripting it now with what you think it should be or could be you will always be comparing the reality with your ideal - not good.

as for when to go if borders open, 21 or 22 .. who knows? We have to balance personal desire with the common good ... and as we aren't the ones in control that will be decided by those who are and their balance is between safety and their economies .... Spain is desperate to get their tourist income back .... so those businesses on Camino should welcome you with open arms (from a distance ;)).

so the answer? I just don't know! Up to you I guess.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No one knows what tomorrow brings.
Maybe next year the pandemic will become even more dangerous, with some new mutation in the virus. We may not be here next year for some other reason.
When I first went, I was hesitant about a hundred things, I didn’t know what to expect or how it would be.
Now I choose a date that suits me and if it will be possible, then I will travel and start the Camino.
If not, I’ll pick another date and hope to be able to really get going then.
Don’t bother with uncertainty, decide what you want and can do, and adjust to what is possible.

It's a good question, and I've been wondering the same thing. My 5 year anniversary for the CF is April of 2022, and I was planning to do it again. But even if things are open by then, between the holy year and the mad dash of everyone who couldn't come for two years, I worry the experience will be poorer. So I'm on the fence as well.

Consider going as soon as you judge it safe and legal - then you’ve more of your life remaining to go again. Crowds, accommodation etc. are entirely unpredictable - but in a free market economy supply and demand balance out in the medium term.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My answer here is the same as my answer in a similar thread, on when I would feel safe sleeping in an albergue. I wouldn't inflict myself upon Spain until the same conditions are in place. Aside from having the available time, the necessary conditions (in my opinion) are:
  • Both my home country and Spain are saying that they think international travel (in particular from my home country to Spain and back again) is not inadvisable;
  • I am fully vaccinated (both doses) with enough additional time for the vaccine to be fully in effect.
I have no idea whether both those conditions will by in place for 2021. I'm not sure I will have the time until 2023, for which I am cautiously optimistic.

The Camino has been there for a thousand years, so it's not going away. Whenever you go, you will be encountering pilgrims and visiting churches, testing the wine, and enjoying the hospitality of our Spanish hosts. Others have posted about the uncertainty of it all at this point. I had hoped to be able to head off this autumn, but do not know if it will be possible-- things will become clearer as time goes on. Do not overplan-- overscripting will not help your first time. I doubt very much if there will the Holy Year hordes of past years. The pandemic has greatly affected Spain and it might be a while before they return to their gregariousness and crowds; but they will be happy to see you when you go.

should we go or wait until 2022
It depends entirely on the public health advice of both countries, and on your personal circumstances.
Will we be missing a piece of the camino experience?
Yes, of course. Every person and every camino is different. If you get experience A, you necessarily will miss experience B, etc., etc. You can make a guess about which experiences you personally would prefer, but there are too many unknowns for you to have any confidence of what you'll encounter.
Are there advantages/disadvantages we haven't thought of?
Undoubtedly.

You seem to be trying very hard to optimize the experience as if there is one "best" outcome, and further, that it is something that you can easily choose. No matter when you go, if you go with an open mind, tolerance and flexibility, you will likely be glad that you did.

You could keep 2021 in mind for a while as you wait and watch, but at some point you might say "that's it, now I'll watch 2022"

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am off on Monday. Will walk from O Cebreiro to Santiago 👣🎒😎

I believe North American travelers will be allowed into Spain by Summer as long as there is no new major outbreak. There may be barriers, such as some type of credential, travel passport indicating you have been vaccinated, requirement of a negative covid test or even some quarantine period upon arrival.

As far as crowds, that is up for more speculation. On one hand you have a great deal of pent up cabin fever and lost tourism revenues that should fuel the desire to open up for travel. That said, above mentioned potential barriers and other unknown factors, accommodation availability, potential COVID pockets along the route, how local populations might react to Pilgrims following/not following local rules etc., etc. could reduce numbers.

I personally believe the Camino will open up this Summer and it will be well populated on common routes. That opinion and $5. will buy you an airport coffee.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My husband and I are in the same boat - it's a bit scary to plan for the Camino this year, but we're both fully vaccinated and willing to compromise by staying in private rooms and small hotels if the albergues are not available. The Camino may be here for the next millennium, but we won't be (we're newly retired as well) - we have no idea how long our health will allow us to make this trek. So we're planning it for this Sept and Oct (from Lisbon to Santiago) and if we're not allowed in country by then, we'll have to shift our plans....

should we go [later in 2021] or wait until 2022?

@Annette19, to my mind the question is when will each of our pilgrimages be best for the countries we are to pass through?

To my mind there are two aspects. In alphabetical order they are economic and social.

And the only people who can answer these questions is the populations in each place.

It is not for us as outsiders to decide what is best for Spain (or France etc)

It is not for us as outsiders to say we have been vaccinated so there is no problem. For example, there is some evidence from my national health service that vaccinated people can be carriers (and spreaders), while not being affected themselves. I am sure as time goes by the circumstances and limits of this will become clear.

Out of an abundance of caution, for yourself and for your Spanish hosts, my answer is 2022 at the earliest.

And I say this having not completed my Via Francigena and walks in UK and Canada in 2020 as booked. I will return when I judge the locals and authorities will wish to greet me with open arms and with smiles on their faces. For me, I hope that will be in 2022.

Otherwise I am just a helicopter tourist: dropping in and leaving a few coins behind as I move on.

So, @Annette19, I wish you kia kaha, kia mā'ia, kia mana'wa'nui (be strong, confident and patient)

My answer here is the same as my answer in a similar thread, on when I would feel safe sleeping in an albergue. I wouldn't inflict myself upon Spain until the same conditions are in place. Aside from having the available time, the necessary conditions (in my opinion) are:
  • Both my home country and Spain are saying that they think international travel (in particular from my home country to Spain and back again) is not inadvisable;
  • I am fully vaccinated (both doses) with enough additional time for the vaccine to be fully in effect.
I have no idea whether both those conditions will by in place for 2021. I'm not sure I will have the time until 2023, for which I am cautiously optimistic.
Point number two is looking like the easy criteria. Number one is in chaos due to varying country views on safety and risk vs. economics. When many country’s views and actions converge, I think I’ll have my answer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
"is not inadvisable". Please clarify😳

"is not inadvisable". Please clarify😳
There are no travel warnings in effect from my own country advising us not to travel to Spain. And likewise, there are no restrictions in Spain indicating that they don't want people from my country visiting. Neither country is advising against the visit.

Neither country is advising against the visit.

I say this with as much humility as I can, and very much aware when am seen to be pointing a finger at anyone there is at least one finger pointing back at me.

The Canadian government, on 22 April (still in force on 24 April), in respect of Spain, says Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice. You might argue that, for you, being an international tourist in Spain is essential for both countries. Good luck with that.

And what of the views of the residents of the towns and villages you might pass through: will they welcome you with open arms and smiles? This might be judged by the number of municipal, parish and donativo albergue that will be open when an international pilgrim arrives.

Kia kaha

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Canadian government, on 22 April (still in force on 24 April), in respect of Spain, says Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice. You might argue that, for you, being an international tourist in Spain is essential for both countries. Good luck with that.
I'm not sure why you suggest I might argue that. I thought I was clear that I had no intention of international travel while the Canadian government was advising against it, which it clearly is. I apologize if I was unclear.

I say this with as much humility as I can
In post #20, David Tallan was clarifying what he meant by the words that were questioned in post #19, in which he put forth his criteria for going. In post #20, he wasn't saying that there were no travel advisories, as your quote in post #21 suggested.

Is that all clear? o_O 🤣 Double negatives and hypotheticals are always fun.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just me. 2021 will still not be safe. We have had 3 lockdowns so far in Canada. Spain has had a worse time of it with infections and deaths. I guess in your case, I am looking at the potential for a lot of extra major upheaval, the worst of which would be another Covid death, or causing someone to be infected. This pandemic will not be over in 2021, maybe not till 2025 or 2026.

Over the opinions and feelings of us laypeople, perhaps it would be wisest to engage the thoughts / recommendations of an epidemiologist? They deal with facts and standards designed to keep us all as safe and healthy. Yes?

If the Spanish government says I am welcome to come and walk a Camino, I will be walking.

I will not be disrespectful of local municipality rules. The rules and guidelines that each region, city, and town have will be followed, by me. If Pilgrims are "Persona non grata" somewhere, I will walk to the next village.

Anyone who feels Covid will magically disappear, imo, is mistaken. It will be here in 2022 and beyond. We will learn to live with it, like many other diseases, until someday there is a cure.

We are 5 months into a vaccine and less than 10% of the worlds population has been vaccinated. At this rate it will take years to vaccinate our planet. This disease is not going away soon.

It would be nice if our governments could get together and establish common guidelines. That said, if they did the likelihood of them being followed universally is, imo remote. So far we, as a planet, have developed 218 different solutions to how to deal with this pandemic. Hopefully, if anything good comes from this we will develop an international strategy to manage future pandemics. They are coming.

I apologize for the length of my narrative. Therefore, see my first sentence and Buen Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back