• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoulder issue and training with backpack

Bouwmeester

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Francés SJPdP-PlR (July 2013)
Hi everyone,

Just a few more weeks until my Camino starts! I've been training extensively during the past months. However, I'm a bit concerned I haven't had enough training with my backpack. I did a couple 20-25k training walks with about 5 kgs in my pack, which caused my left shoulder to get sore (during the walk and 1-2 days afterwards). It turned out my backpack wasn't yet properly adjusted (classic scenario: most of the weight distributed to my shoulders instead of my waist). First, I tried to readjust my backpack by myself, which didn't really make a difference. Also, while my shoulder usually was back to normal soon after training, it remained a bit sore during the past few weeks without having trained (just minor pains, not really worth taking painkillers for).

To make sure everything would be in order, I decided to give my shoulder some rest and to go back to the store first to have my backpack readjusted. This has definitely made a difference. When I try my backpack on, I now feel the center of gravity is located more towards my lower back. I've also visited a manual therapist, who concluded that my shoulder is just overused and gave me a brief treatment and some exercises to do at home.

My questions: what would be the best way to get some more backpack training before departure? And is it even worth worrying about? I'm thinking of walking 10k soon, with a fully loaded backpack (about 7kgs + 2L water) - and if that works out, do it a couple days in a row. I'll be walking the Francés, staying overnight in Orisson, so that could be a good simulation of my first day's walk. FYI: I'm a 22-year-old male and haven't had any other injury-related issues than my shoulder.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You are doing something new, so have new muscles to make. I think that you will find that waist, leg, and lower back muscles will become sore from stabilizing the pack. Cinch the waist belt, and gut it out! It will get better! If your pack rests on your shoulders, eventually your neck muscles will ache. You should be able to run your hand under the shoulder straps at all times. Your pack should have adjustments to move the top or bottom forward or backward without adjusting the shoulder straps. Use them to change your load. Pull the shoulder strap adjuster only to hold the load against your back.

Have enough weight low in the pack to help lock the waist belt. Otherwise, weight should be against your back and slightly high.

Buen Camino!

Get rid of a kilo from your backpack and reduce your water to one litre - on the Camino Frances one litre is plenty.
If that does not fix the problem then reconsider your choice of backpack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
falcon269 said:
You are doing something new, so have new muscles to make. I think that you will find that waist, leg, and lower back muscles will become sore from stabilizing the pack. Cinch the waist belt, and gut it out! It will get better! If your pack rests on your shoulders, eventually your neck muscles will ache. You should be able to run your hand under the shoulder straps at all times. Your pack should have adjustments to move the top or bottom forward or backward without adjusting the shoulder straps. Use them to change your load. Pull the shoulder strap adjuster only to hold the load against your back.

Have enough weight low in the pack to help lock the waist belt. Otherwise, weight should be against your back and slightly high.

Buen Camino!

You're right, Falcon, it's all in the waist belt! I just got back from a short training hike and noticed the difference the pack adjustments made for my shoulders. With the shoulder straps loosened up and a tightened waist belt, the weight is now distributed properly. My pack also didn't leave any marks on my shoulders, which was the case before.

I think Osprey's instructional YouTube video on fitting a pack, which I followed step-by-step, has 'misled' me (it suggested that there shouldn't be any gaps between your pack and your shoulder). Having your post in mind while walking, I also realised that I shouldn't expect to feel nothing now the backpack is in order - after all, I'm still walking around with 8-9 kgs on my back. I'll have to get used to that. Now my back's just a bit sore, but in a good way (not as painful as my left shoulder was).

Kanga said:
Get rid of a kilo from your backpack and reduce your water to one litre - on the Camino Frances one litre is plenty.
If that does not fix the problem then reconsider your choice of backpack.

Thanks so much for that water advice, Kanga. I'll go for just 1L then and probably an additional 0,5L bottle with a sports drink. I must note, by the way, that the 7 kgs I mentioned included my backpack (5,5 kgs of stuff + 1,5 kgs pack weight). Including food and water I'll end up around 9kgs. That additional weight will, of course, decrease as the day progresses :)

I am not sure how you are carrying your water, but if you carry the capacity for 2 lts you don't have to fill it. We carry 2 bottles each and half fill them so that the rucksac remains balanced. On a hot day we can fill to capacity and can soon drink them lighter. A similar pattern could be followed with a camelback. We are also careful to pack the clothes etc in such a way as to keep our rucksacs balanced.
Buen Camino

Hi Tia Valeria, I have an Osprey Kestrel 38 with a 2L hydration bladder. It's good to know that I don't need to fill it completely (I figured 2L would be reasonable in the Spanish heat, but of course, there are many stops on the Francés). Will also make sure that my backpack is well-balanced - thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back