• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoulder Strap Irritation

Unie

Irish in QLD Australia
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, May 2019
The shoulder strap material causes me irritation and rash, I considered having sheep skin covers made but wondered does anyone else with the same problem have any other suggestions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
HI, fellow Aussie!

I'm allergic to a lot of rubbery/latex/plastic materials, so some backpacks can cause huge rashes and even wounds on my skin. Of course I do not use any that i identify as 'dangerous' for me.
But for the normal ones, first I re-check the fitting to see if anything is too tight, or sliding because it is too loose. Where are the rashes? on the shoulders?

Usually I never let the straps touch directly on my skin, but over the tshirt. Sheepskin, microfiber and other very gentle materials can reduce the rubbing and irritation. Have you tried just putting a layer of a gentle fabric between the strap and the skin to see what happens?

HI, fellow Aussie!

I'm allergic to a lot of rubbery/latex/plastic materials, so some backpacks can cause huge rashes and even wounds on my skin. Of course I do not use any that i identify as 'dangerous' for me.
But for the normal ones, first I re-check the fitting to see if anything is too tight, or sliding because it is too loose. Where are the rashes? on the shoulders?

Usually I never let the straps touch directly on my skin, but over the tshirt. Sheepskin, microfiber and other very gentle materials can reduce the rubbing and irritation. Have you tried just putting a layer of a gentle fabric between the strap and the skin to see what happens?
Thanks for responding, it irritates through clothing too, very annoying.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Check your shoulder straps are adjusted properly and that your torso harness is correctly sized and adjusted. If everything is properly adjusted and you still have irritation, here is something that I have used to help others:

Materials needed:

4 - kitchen sponges
2 - small microfiber dish / face towels
4 - largish rubber bands
Duck tape

Take two sponges, wrap them in one towel. Use duck tape to hold the towel closed. You now have one shoulder pad.

Unfasten the shoulder strap. Using two rubber bands, fasten the pad to the underside of the shoulder strap. Refasten the shoulder strap.

Repeat for the other side.

This adds cushioning and takes up excess ‘air space’ if you need to customize your backpack’s fit. I have made these pads several times along the Camino for others who needed it.

The components are readily available in tiendad or supermercados. You should be carrying duck tape and rubber bands as general use and repair items anyway.

Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I always have an irritation/itching where my backpack straps start curving before the underarm area. It usually subsides after about a week on the trail. It is not a rash. I had purchased an Osprey women's specific pack, but that didn't help. I recently purchased these from Amazon as a recommendation on the forum and will be anxious to see if they help. I may cut them down a bit. Sorry, I don'tknow how to send the link, but here is a screenshot I took.
Screenshot_2019-01-10-19-15-05-1.jpg

That’s what I was thinking about having made, I used to have them for a seatbelt in a car I used to have but can’t find them now. It may be cheaper and easier to order them. Thanks for that info.
I purchased an Osprey Aura and didn’t give much thought to the problem I had with my day pack...silly me.
Thanks again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Unie..

Do the straps rub creating friction? Or do they retain a lot of heat and moisture due to lack of airflow?
Dave, with my own similar problem I've never known what causes the irritation/itching. I've used an Osprey Atmos 25 and now own an Osprey Sirrus women's 34L, and have the same issue with both. The problem lessens or goes away after about a week and wonder if my skin "toughens up"?

Dave, with my own similar problem I've never known what causes the irritation/itching. I've used an Osprey Atmos 25 and now own an Osprey Sirrus women's 34L, and have the same issue with both. The problem lessens or goes away after about a week and wonder if my skin "toughens up"?

It can be very difficult to track down a cause. Sometimes its excessive rubbing. Sometimes contact dermatitis. Sometimes and allergy to a material. Other times it is due to blocking or pressure on the skin which affects the ability of sweat to be excreted.

Hi, Unie..

Do the straps rub creating friction? Or do they retain a lot of heat and moisture due to lack of airflow?
Not due to rubbing, it happens within a short time (less than an hour) of carrying the pack. I think it’s the material but perhaps it has to do with lack of airflow and moisture.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I bought a pair of sheepskin innersoles.
Had my tailor lady trim them, then sew them to my straps.
Regards
Gerard

Check your shoulder straps are adjusted properly and that your torso harness is correctly sized and adjusted. If everything is properly adjusted and you still have irritation, here is something that I have used to help others:

Materials needed:

4 - kitchen sponges
2 - small microfiber dish / face towels
4 - largish rubber bands
Duck tape

Take two sponges, wrap them in one towel. Use duck tape to hold the towel closed. You now have one shoulder pad.

Unfasten the shoulder strap. Using two rubber bands, fasten the pad to the underside of the shoulder strap. Refasten the shoulder strap.

Repeat for the other side.

This adds cushioning and takes up excess ‘air space’ if you need to customize your backpack’s fit. I have made these pads several times along the Camino for others who needed it.

The components are readily available in tiendad or supermercados. You should be carrying duck tape and rubber bands as general use and repair items anyway.

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for taking the trouble to help, I’m going to give everything a go.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Gold Bond or Ammen´s medicated powder against your skin. And stuff a washing-up sponge between the strap and where it rubs. It looks kind of strange, but no one´s going to say so! Also, try redistributing the weight in your pack, to take the stress off that point.

Gold Bond or Ammen´s medicated powder against your skin. And stuff a washing-up sponge between the strap and where it rubs. It looks kind of strange, but no one´s going to say so! Also, try redistributing the weight in your pack, to take the stress off that point.
I’m going to experiment with everything and I couldn’t care less how I look, thanks Rebekah.

How horrid. I think you have to look at three things here.

The first is fitting the pack properly. The shoulder straps shouldn't really be rubbing at all - if the load is properly cinched tight across the top of your hip bones then there should be no strain at all at shoulders. Unless the pack is too short - is it measured for you? Or too heavy, where the tendency then is to cinch it tight down onto the shoulders - an error.
But I also agree with comments above - soft pad those straps!

2. You are concentrating on the itchiness and rash coming from the pack whereas the pack doesn't actually touch your skin. I have seen this before with people who wear synthetic under garments such as 'tech' T shirts as the warmth and so called 'wicking' properties can cause skin problems. Try going for pure cotton or preferably Merino wool instead. I won't wear synthetics - think about it, have you noticed how quickly they start to stink? Ok, then think about your poor skin underneath!

3. Itchiness and rashes are not caused just by rubbing, they are caused by microbes on the skin in a sweaty area that thrive and cause itchiness and rashes - think of prickly heat - this is always to do with the skin being dirty. Sure - you showered, sure you keep clean - but a warm enclosed space on the body - under straps, under arms, groin areas, under socks .. is a perfect Petrie dish and those microbes thrive and the body does its best to fight them - hence irritation and rashes.

So keep those areas scrupulously clean, wash regularly in soapy water, put a good 'skin-kind' cream on top, Calendula cream is good, and the type made for nappy (diaper) rash and eczema, such as E45, is brilliant.
Also, never ever use a shower gel nor deodorants - almost impossible to really rinse off a shower gel, it sticks! and the chemicals in both are terrible!! - and, as well, be equally careful with the clothes that rest against the skin - so be aware of what laundry detergent is used, always use one that is specifically skin friendly.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great advise to think about, David, and I will consider trying a cotton t-shirt at home in training to see if it helps. I hope it's not going to be my problem as it weighs more and takes longer to dry although I prefer its cozy feel...But no deodorant?:eek: How will I make any new friends? Lol!

I always have an irritation/itching where my backpack straps start curving before the underarm area. It usually subsides after about a week on the trail. It is not a rash. I had purchased an Osprey women's specific pack, but that didn't help. I recently purchased these from Amazon as a recommendation on the forum and will be anxious to see if they help. I may cut them down a bit. Sorry, I don'tknow how to send the link, but here is a screenshot I took.
View attachment 50596
I use similar sheepskin seat belt pads which I purchased from a local auto parts store.

Great advise to think about, David, and I will consider trying a cotton t-shirt at home in training to see if it helps. I hope it's not going to be my problem as it weighs more and takes longer to dry although I prefer its cozy feel...But no deodorant?:eek: How will I make any new friends? Lol!
They are expensive, but I prefer Merino Wool 'T' shirts over cotton, I stink less when sweating and they dry quick. If they get wet from sweat they will still keep you warm. I carry I long sleeve and I short sleeve on my hiking or walking adventures. One to wear one to carry.

They are expensive, but I prefer Merino Wool 'T' shirts over cotton, I stink less when sweating and they dry quick. If they get wet from sweat they will still keep you warm. I carry I long sleeve and I short sleeve on my hiking or walking adventures. One to wear one to carry.
I usually am allergic to wool so always avoid it, but I do read merino is much softer and less stinky. I should probably give it a try, especially if I eliminate deodorant as David suggested.o_O

If you're not already, use a hypoallergenic laundry soap in case the combination of an allergen in your regular soap plus friction/pressure is the cause of your irritation.

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I usually skip the deodorant on the Camino. 😉 And I only wear merino wool, which truly doesn't get stinky.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

The first is fitting the pack properly. The shoulder straps shouldn't really be rubbing at all - if the load is properly cinched tight across the top of your hip bones then there should be no strain at all at shoulders. Unless the pack is too short - is it measured for you? Or too heavy, where the tendency then is to cinch it tight down onto the shoulders - an error.

2. You are concentrating on the itchiness and rash coming from the pack whereas the pack doesn't actually touch your skin. I have seen this before with people who wear synthetic under garments such as 'tech' T shirts as the warmth and so called 'wicking' properties can cause skin problems. Try going for pure cotton or preferably Merino wool instead. I won't wear synthetics - think about it, have you noticed how quickly they start to stink? Ok, then think about your poor skin underneath!

3. Itchiness and rashes are not caused just by rubbing, they are caused by microbes on the skin in a sweaty area that thrive and cause itchiness and rashes - think of prickly heat - this is always to do with the skin being dirty. Sure - you showered, sure you keep clean - but a warm enclosed space on the body - under straps, under arms, groin areas, under socks .. is a perfect Petrie dish and those microbes thrive and the body does its best to fight them - hence irritation and rashes.

So keep those areas scrupulously clean, wash regularly in soapy water, put a good 'skin-kind' cream on top, Calendula cream is good, and the type made for nappy (diaper) rash, such as E45, are brilliant.
Also, never ever use a shower gel nor deodorants - almost impossible to really rinse off a shower gel, it sticks! and the chemicals in both are terrible!! - and, as well, be equally careful with the clothes that rest against the skin - so be aware of what laundry detergent is used, always use one that is specifically skin friendly.

Hope this helps.

So keep those areas scrupulously clean, wash regularly in soapy water, put a good 'skin-kind' cream on top, Calendula cream is good, and the type made for nappy (diaper) rash, such as E45, are brilliant.

Hope this helps.
A great help David, thanks for taking the trouble. I only use quick drying clothing for travelling so perhaps that is a contributing factor indeed. I’m careful with lotions and potions and make a lot of my own. I haven’t honestly worn a lot of merino clothing apart from socks and would appreciate recommendations for female tops / shirts available in Australia

Haha Camino Chris, have you tried the deodorant crystal, it kills off the bacteria that causes the smell. You can sweat away but not smell.

I use similar sheepskin seat belt pads which I purchased from a local auto parts store.
Jim, I’ll definitely try them too and take a look at my shirt fabric as David suggested.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you're not already, use a hypoallergenic laundry soap in case the combination of an allergen in your regular soap plus friction/pressure is the cause of your irritation.
Will do, thank you.

I suppose that I am well out of the central box we are supposed to live in .. I make all sorts of connections that aren't mentioned elsewhere but they worry me - well, concern me. Par ex: under-arm deodorants are mainly aluminium in some form ... under the arms the lymph glands are close to the surface ... the lymph glands up there connect directly to the breasts .. breast cancer has always happened but it was once very rare, but now it is wildly rampant, and those now with breast cancer tend to have high aluminium content - no one has mentioned a connection here but it concerns me as breast cancer is a modern epidemic - ghastly and terrifying for women, an appalling thing, and I do not make light of it, but now even men get it. Is there a connection? I don't know, but I do know that adding aluminium and strong chemicals directly to the lymph glands for possibly thirty, forty, or fifty years is not a healthy thing to do.

The skin is a living organ, the largest on the human body, and it is naturally covered in beneficial bacteria - if you looked at it under a microscope it is a wild forest there, on the surface. It was designed, it evolved, to protect us from invasion, and it works well doing that - except! in the last few decades it has become habitual to attack it daily or even twice daily with chemicals .. people shower even two times a day, stripping off the beneficial bacterial defense and leaving it wide open and vulnerable and also leaving it covered in an artificial chemical residue from the cheap artificial shower gels and bath bubble soaps that they use .. this is not a good thing, this is not a good thing at all!

I never bath, and shower perhaps once a month, or two months. I daily flannel wash smelly areas with warm natural soapy water and use no chemicals on my body - I want to allow my skin organ to protect me, as it is designed to do - allied with this I never wear synthetic unnatural clothing, only natural fibres; cotton, wool, and silk .... I may seem like a complete idiot, but would suggest that you - whomever you are reading this - go past this consumer fear advertisement and consumer company led propaganda about over-washing and 'smelling good' all the time and do some Google searching ........ for our own health we have to take control of our own bodies, and base that action upon how they have successfully developed over the last three or four million years ........ apart from anything else, a clean body that sweats (if one eats healthy food) smells quite lovely when it sweats - it is only old stale sweat, and an unhealthy diet, that makes it smells horrid.

and if you must use a deodorant then, as mentioned above by Unie, Crystal Deodorant is the way to go.

My point of view ..... but, think on ...... you could start researching here - https://www.lifehack.org/355349/science-suggests-you-should-abandon-the-habit-showering-every-day

Last edited:
Wow, David, this information is alot to absorb! Thank you, I may re-evaluate my personal hygiene approach at home and possibly make a few changes. I've always thought you a "first aid camino angel" and now I think there is even more to what you know. Thanks for sharing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I suppose that I am well out of the central box we are supposed to live in .. I make all sorts of connections that aren't mentioned elsewhere but they worry me - well, concern me. Par ex: under-arm deodorants are mainly aluminium in some form ... under the arms the lymph glands are close to the surface ... the lymph glands up there connect directly to the breasts .. breast cancer has always happened but it was once very rare, but now it is wildly rampant, and those now with breast cancer tend to have high aluminium content - no one has mentioned a connection here but it concerns me as breast cancer is a modern epidemic - ghastly and terrifying for women, an appalling thing, and I do not make light of it, but now even men get it. Is there a connection? I don't know, but I do know that adding aluminium and strong chemicals directly to the lymph glands for possibly thirty, forty, or fifty years is not a healthy thing to do.

The skin is a living organ, the largest on the human body, and it is naturally covered in beneficial bacteria - if you looked at it under a microscope it is a wild forest there, on the surface. It was designed, it evolved, to protect us from invasion, and it works well doing that - except! in the last few decades it has become habitual to attack it daily or even twice daily with chemicals .. people shower even two times a day, stripping off the beneficial bacterial defense and leaving it wide open and vulnerable and also leaving it covered in an artificial chemical residue from the cheap artificial shower gels and bath bubble soaps that they use .. this is not a good thing, this is not a good thing at all!

I never bath, and shower perhaps once a month, or two months. I daily flannel wash smelly areas with warm natural soapy water and use no chemicals on my body - I want to allow my skin organ to protect me, as it is designed to do - allied with this I never wear synthetic unnatural clothing, only natural fibres; cotton, wool, and silk .... I may seem like a complete idiot, but would suggest that you - whomever you are reading this - go past this consumer fear advertisement and consumer company led propaganda about over-washing and 'smelling good' all the time and do some Google searching ........ for our own health we have to take control of our own bodies, and base that action upon how they have successfully developed over the last three or four million years ........ apart from anything else, a clean body that sweats (if one eats healthy food) smells quite lovely when it sweats - it is only old stale sweat, and an unhealthy diet, that makes it smells horrid.

and if you must use a deodorant then, as mentioned above by Unie, Crystal Deodorant is the way to go.

My point of view ..... but, think on ...... you could start researching here - https://www.lifehack.org/355349/science-suggests-you-should-abandon-the-habit-showering-every-day
The very reason I stopped using deodorants and anti perspirants about 30+ years ago. I now make a lot of my own brews...think witch without a broom!
Thanks for the info and health reminder David.

I used the sheepskin seatbelt covers as mentioned above, on the underarm part of my shoulder strap, because it was causing rubbing. They worked perfectly and my Aarn backpack was otherwise perfect!

I often use a pair of old woollen socks cut out the toe area. Thread socks through the shoulder strap on pack then fold the sock at least three times into a neat pad and slide down to where the pack is rubbing on the shoulders. With me it's the collarbone as I have very narrow shoulder blades.

€83,-
Try feminine hygeine maxi pads , the self adhesive sorts with wings. Placed on the straps and over the most irritated area of the shoulder blades. They absorb moisture , are sterile and have anti bacterial properties as well as significant padding . If attached neatly they are discrete and almost indistinguishable from the harness itself . Just don't use the 'G string ' sort :eek:.
Best of all they are cheap and easily replaced when worn or grubby.

Well that's a clever and interesting idea. I'm sure it works, but think I'll stick with the new seat belt covers I purchased!☺
BTW, I thought this post was written by a woman until I noticed your avatar name.😉

I used the sheepskin seatbelt covers as mentioned above, on the underarm part of my shoulder strap, because it was causing rubbing. They worked perfectly and my Aarn backpack was otherwise perfect!
Gee that sounds so simple and we’ll worth a try, thank you

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Try feminine hygeine maxi pads , the self adhesive sorts with wings. Placed on the straps and over the most irritated area of the shoulder blades. They absorb moisture , are sterile and have anti bacterial properties as well as significant padding . If attached neatly they are discrete and almost indistinguishable from the harness itself . Just don't use the 'G string ' sort :eek:.
Best of all they are cheap and easily replaced when worn or grubby.
You are seriously an ideas man Charles!

I often use a pair of old woollen socks cut out the toe area. Thread socks through the shoulder strap on pack then fold the sock at least three times into a neat pad and slide down to where the pack is rubbing on the shoulders. With me it's the collarbone as I have very narrow shoulder blades.
Unreal, what a great idea, thank you.

Thank you kind folk for taking the bother to help, you gave me lots to think about and to experiment with.....and a few good laughs too.
Toeless socks, seatbelt covers, kitchen sponges, cloths, insoles, sanitary pads, lotions and potions and all else in between.....there has to be solution in there!
Slainte.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Interesting thread, and it got me thinking about why my own pack is so comfortable.

The shoulder straps barely touch my skin.

Is the pack adjusted correctly?

All the weight should be on the hip belt.

The shoulder straps merely stop the pack falling off your back, backwards.....
There is no weight on them at all. I can slide my fingers under mine, there is clear air under them.
The sternum strap tends to be tighter.........

Just a thought.

Interesting thread, and it got me thinking about why my own pack is so comfortable.

There is no weight on them at all. I can slide my fingers under mine, there is clear air under them.

Just a thought.
Thanks Robo, I’ll test it out when I put weight in it and adjust it properly. I used a light day pack in Europe last year with the same strap material and it drove me crazy so I’m getting prepared in advance. I’m a precious and delicate wee soul....

breast cancer has always happened but it was once very rare, but now it is wildly rampant
those now with breast cancer tend to have high aluminium content
Can you provide some authoritative references that support either of these statements?

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
when you get a few scares you do what’s best for you,
Absolutely! The challenge is to sort out the facts (i.e. the best knowledge that the real experts can agree on) from the random rumoured fears that lurk everywhere, including on this thread! That is why I asked for the source of the "information." I don't think we should be spreading rumours and unsupported fears here.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The shoulder strap material causes me irritation and rash, I considered having sheep skin covers made but wondered does anyone else with the same problem have any other suggestions.
It was suggested to me to go to an autoshop that sells car supplies and buy those sheepskin seatbelt covers. I haven't tried it but it sounds like it might work!

Just a thought.

Short of an allergic reaction to certain materials in your clothing or the back pack material, this seems to me to be an issue of the adjustment of the pack.
I agree with Robo as to how a properly adjusted back should be set
My shoulder straps help stabilize my pack, but don't put any real weight on my shoulders. I can easily stick my fingwrs under the shoulder loops when wearing it.
After wearing my pack all day I have no redness or indentations where the shoulder straps have been. Even on hot days when my shirt may be dripping wet.
Really, all the weight should ride on your hips.

That’s what I was thinking about having made, I used to have them for a seatbelt in a car I used to have but can’t find them now. It may be cheaper and easier to order them. Thanks for that info.
I purchased an Osprey Aura and didn’t give much thought to the problem I had with my day pack...silly me.
Thanks again.
Hi Unie try looking in your local Reject Store. That's where I bought mine from and I'm in Sydney. Very comfortable.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi. I can sympathize. For all my backpacks other than the lightest most minimal tiny ones I have made covers out of microfiber towels. They are essentially tunnels that slip over the opened straps, somewhat covering the buckles as well since I find they irritate as well. They can be removed easily for washing and dry quickly. I have also sewn small mesh pockets on them for my cell phone, etc. I’m sure thicker ones may be more comfortable but these seem more than adequate. My shoulders are pretty bony, and I hike in tank tops all the time. Hope this helps - Cherry

Hi. I can sympathize. For all my backpacks other than the lightest most minimal tiny ones I have made covers out of microfiber towels. They are essentially tunnels that slip over the opened straps, somewhat covering the buckles as well since I find they irritate as well. They can be removed easily for washing and dry quickly. I have also sewn small mesh pockets on them for my cell phone, etc. I’m sure thicker ones may be more comfortable but these seem more than adequate. My shoulders are pretty bony, and I hike in tank tops all the time. Hope this helps - Cherry
That’s a brilliant idea thank you, I actually purchased two sheepskin thingys on Friday, the lady there says it’s a common problem and she sells them all the time for backpacks...so we aren’t the only ones suffering cherrys! My irrigation occurs near the armpit area so hopefully this works, they feel glorious.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.