• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shout out for a great cafe on the way out of Santiago

peregrina2000

Staff member
Since the amigos apartment in Santiago is right on the Camino to Fisterre and Muxia, we got to know the area pretty well. I would highly recommend the Café Tertulia, owned and run by a young eager beaver John Henry (that's his real name even though he is Spanish). He was a barista in the US for years and makes excellent coffee, even with the little swirls of milk in the shape of a heart and all that jazz. He is also extremely accommodating and will cook anything you ask for that he has ingredients for. His menu lists a lot of breakfast and snack options.

To find this place -- the Camino to Fisterre and Muxia leaves from right in front of the parador, goes down the steps and takes little roads essentially straight all the way to an intersection with the Sarela River. The first (and only) traffic light on this part is about three blocks from the cathedral, where you cross the Rua Pombal. The Café Tertulia is on the left corner as you cross the street.

It's open at 7:30 every morning (though I was frequently there at 7:15 and was not the first one to enter) except for Sunday, when it opens at 8:00.

And tell him the americana with white hair said hi! Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I second (third?) that! I spent nearly every morning at Tertulia while I stayed nearby for a few days. I loved the local flavor, the staff, the comfy couches, the ambience. It feels a little bit like a Parisian cafe.. with divine croissants and cafe to boot.

I second (third?) that! I spent nearly every morning at Tertulia while I stayed nearby for a few days. I loved the local flavor, the staff, the comfy couches, the ambience. It feels a little bit like a Parisian cafe.. with divine croissants and cafe to boot.

Yes, healing pilgrim, how could I have forgotten??!! Those whole grain croissants were absolutely the best.

And on several occasions, John Henry let me use the side room for Skypes back home, he is a great guy! Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Someone on a different thread said we should not turn this forum into a TripAdvisor site by recommending facilities. I disagree. I think sharing this kind of information is exactly what this forum should be about. So thanks peregrina2000 and fralucha for your recommendation.

It's not a restaurant, though it serves breakfast and will always make you something to eat. I would say prices are average, probably a bit cheaper than in the center. On the other side of the Rua de Poza de Bar (the street you continue on to stay on the Camino to Finisterre, not the busy Pombal) is a less "upscale" place that is more a neighborhood joint. They have very reasonable platos combinados and great lentils if you like lentils. All basic home cooking.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Two words: American Pancakes. 3€ and they were wonderful. Poached eggs, bacon and hot chocolate brought the total to 6. Best cafe on Camino, iyam.

Maybe this recommendation will encourage more people to stop by for the "meet up" -- every night at 7!

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ntiago-de-compostela.32183/page-2#post-328700

Though admittedly pancakes are not likely to be high on anyone's list at 7 pm. :)

I was disappointed not to meet any forum members in the Tertulia when I was there a few weeks ago. But let's keep trying, if you're going to be in Santiago and have free time at 7 pm, let the forum know beforehand and maybe others in Santiago will read your note and make their way down to this great little place. Buen camino, Laurie

I was looking for a post of this kind. I tend to rise early and I am hoping Tertulia will be open when I leave Santiago for my trip to Muxia on the 1st of September.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was looking for a post of this kind. I tend to rise early and I am hoping Tertulia will be open when I leave Santiago for my trip to Muxia on the 1st of September.

Dumbria great stop and great albergue
Bella Muxia is one of the best alberques on any camino , Spain or France.
Bar Lorena just down the road [ ask for directions ] has upscale tapas and wine ,
Cant get lost , there is only 2 streets.
It belongs to a lovely German lady who has resided there for decades.
If you have a spare $$ stay there for a night......magnificent food and rooms.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.