• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Show Me the Way!

Frankybaby66

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
Hi all, bit of a dilemma; I know that routes are personal choice, but thought I'd put this out there.
I did SJPDP to Santiago in 2016, Roncenvalles (cunningly avoiding the Pyrenees!) to Santiago in 2017, and Portugues Central route from Porto to Santiago last May,
I am going to get my fix of all things Camino in September this year. I have two and a half weeks - 3 weeks tops to play with.
  • Torn between flying in to Lisbon and walking to Porto (or as near to Porto as possible - I max out at 25km a day; 2 cardiac arrests has slowed me down somewhat!)
  • Flying to Porto and walking to Santiago on Central route again
  • Flying to Porto and walking to Santiago on Coastal Route
I haven't walked to Finisterre/Muxia or done the Variante Espiritual before, so both are possible 'bolt-ons' time (and stamina) permitting.
Main concerns are: Will the Lisbon option be a) Too isolated b) Difficult to keep days within my limits with lack of infrastructure?
If I start on either of Porto -Santiago routes, and I only have time for one of the optionals; Finisterre, or Variante Espiritual?
Not sure about Coastal Route and having to battle my way through people having a day at the coast.
Sorry, bit of a ramble, but am I only one who thinks that using the Forum seems to make the actual Camino seem to be sooner than it actually is! :)

Any input, experiences etc welcomed.
Thanks Frank

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino in September this year. I have two and a half weeks - 3 weeks

Coastal and Variant from Porto are doable in your time frame add rest days if you want!
I walked mid Sept 2021 I took lots of rest days, no crowds at all!
I left Porto on 20th arrived Santiago on the 10th October flew home on 13th (27C on the 12th)
Weather great between 20-27C after a cool start for the whole way except one rain day.
Beaches were empty; but there were enough places open for food,drink and sleeping!
Espiritual Variant was the highlight will walk it again one day. With three weeks you might get to walk Finisterre?
Below are my stages none if i remember were more than 25 k Check on Gronze.
Best of luck with the weather
Woody
#​
PORTO
#​
CABO DO MONDO
#​
VILA DO CONDE
#​
ESPOSENDE
#​
VIANA DE CASTELO
#​
CAMINHA
#​
OIA
#​
BAIONA
#​
VIGO
#​
REDONDELA
#​
PONTEVEDERA
#​
COMBARRO
#​
A ARMENTEIRA
#​
VILANOVA DE AROUSA
#​
PADRON
#​
SANTIAGO

Attachments

• DAY TWO BOARDWALK.mp4
    2.9 MB
  • SEA IN BAIONA.mp4
    10.2 MB
  • FROM MY TABLE COMBARRO.mp4
    4.5 MB
Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Woody, thanks for that. Reassuring about no crowds, although I'm starting a bit earlier than you did (1st September). Might just suck it and see.
By the way did you take the boat option into Padron or did you hike it?
Frank

Hi Frank !
I took the boat and it was worth it!
I had waited two years to walk the Espiritual.
The boat i had seen on YouTube was the ridged speedboat flying through the waves and thought that looks fun!
On the day i took the boat it was the large boat that carries 150 Pilgrims and it was busy but fun!
Combarro (like somwhere out of a Harry Potter book) ,Armentiera and Villa Nova de Arousa were highlights.
Stayed one night in the Hospederia at the Monastery in Armentiera a special experience with the Pilgrim blessing . The Route of Stone and Water is special also.
Woody

Attachments

• GREAT ATMOSPHERE SINGING PORTUGUSE ANTHEM.mp4
    9.7 MB
  • FURTHER UP RIVER.mp4
    3.9 MB
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all, bit of a dilemma; I know that routes are personal choice, but thought I'd put this out there.
I did SJPDP to Santiago in 2016, Roncenvalles (cunningly avoiding the Pyrenees!) to Santiago in 2017, and Portugues Central route from Porto to Santiago last May,
I am going to get my fix of all things Camino in September this year. I have two and a half weeks - 3 weeks tops to play with.
  • Torn between flying in to Lisbon and walking to Porto (or as near to Porto as possible - I max out at 25km a day; 2 cardiac arrests has slowed me down somewhat!)
I haven't walked to Finisterre/Muxia or done the Variante Espiritual before, so both are possible 'bolt-ons' time (and stamina) permitting.
Main concerns are: Will the Lisbon option be a) Too isolated b) Difficult to keep days within my limits with lack of infrastructure?
If I start on either of Porto -Santiago routes, and I only have time for one of the optionals; Finisterre, or Variante Espiritual?
Not sure about Coastal Route and having to battle my way through people having a day at the coast.
Sorry, bit of a ramble, but am I only one who thinks that using the Forum seems to make the actual Camino seem to be sooner than it actually is! :)

Thanks Frank

Of the three you suggest, my preference is the Coastal (the Literal) from Porto. The walk from Lisbon I don't regret but I don't think I'd do it again (and never say never....)

The Portuguese routes from Porto do have the advantage of good infrastructure, so I can understand why you are considering only those, but they have their disadvantages too. I would at least think about some other routes.

I'd consider the Primitivo (first choice), or the Sanabrés, or the Norte from Ribadeo, or maybe even the Madrid. The time frame is right. The Primitivo may be a bit arduous but there are only a couple of days that are really difficult, and they can be skipped using transport. On the Sanabrés start at Ourense, if I had health issues I'd take a taxi out of the valley, and then it is similar to Sarria to Santiago in terms of terrain. Perhaps a bit short, as also is the Norte from Ribadeo (a lovely walk through Galicia, and not difficult). The Madrid is a mostly flat, walk on soft paths - but does have some problems with distance and infrastructure, and can be lonely (and one day of climbing - although a train can fix that).

As with any Camino - it will bring its own pleasures (and difficulties) whichever route you choose. None is "wrong". Buen Camino!

Thanks Frank
Hi Frank,
just a word from our experience on the Coastal route last summer. We only had a few days so just walked part-way from Porto up to the border but the route was wonderful. Lots of boardwalk along the coast and not difficult at all (we were carrying full packs and I’m over 70) and wasn’t crowded either with pilgrims or tourists/beach-goers. Still, little towns along the way so it didn’t feel isolated. Lovely walk!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked out of Lisbon in early September and cannot recommend that option. I propose the coastal for you. Nice cooling breezes, beautiful views, great food.

Reasons to not walk from Lisbon in early September: It is still exceptionally hot with little shade for the first week, at least until Tomar. From Tomar the walk continues in forests but the heat can still be intense. In addition, many commercial establishments were closed for a one or two week holiday during the first weeks of September on this part of the route. It wasn't a critical issue, but was limiting and something to keep in mind.

I met people walking on the route, but not many (1 or 2 a day, I'm a slow and late walker) although I would often meet more people at the hostels at the end of every day.
Bom caminho~!!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back