• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Show me your winter footwear, boots and socks.

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
Please don’t flog me as I know footwear is a personal preference and it’s been discussed to no end.

I’ve always worn trail runners/hiking shoes which have worked great for my three Camino’s. However, I definitely wouldn’t wear them in the Winter.

I’m clueless when it comes to a hiking boot let alone one that will be comfortable while keeping my feet warm and dry in mud and snow.

Please advise with pictures and brands with what boot and sock combo worked best for you.

I appreciate all posts 😎

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wear a mid height La Sportiva hiking boot. It is the same last as my La Sportiva trail runners. Tried to find a photo, but don't think they make that particular style now.😥

For a photo see this post.

Walking late autumn/winter I carried simple sandals for relaxing and wore Decathlon Gore-tex lined hiking boots.
Each pair easily lasted 2 caminos walking from SJPdP to Santiago plus either out to Finisterre/Muxia or down to the Portuguese border at Valenca do Mino. Thus the boots easily covered 2000 km before the sole showed wear. They probably would be ok for 3000 km but for safety sake new boots were purchased every 2 years.... Best of all I never had a blister.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What do you wear when you go on hikes at home in the winter?
At home I don’t go on multiple day hikes in the winter where I would drudge through mud and puddles so I wear a different kind of boot I wouldn’t wear on the Camino. That’s why I’m asking. I’m no stranger to snow though. ❄️ ⛄😁
CC09AB71-92A5-4E2D-9C57-39DD20CA8765.jpeg729DB86F-44ED-4B8E-8D56-726B6BE7AAD4.jpeg20D2121B-3796-4E1F-A63A-F7640CFDD04C.jpegD98E08CA-68ED-45DE-A91D-AD7397D5D5C4.jpeg

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For a photo see this post.

Walking late autumn/winter I carried simple sandals for relaxing and wore Decathlon Gore-tex lined hiking boots.
Each pair easily lasted 2 caminos walking from SJPdP to Santiago plus either out to Finisterre/Muxia or down to the Portuguese border at Valenca do Mino. Thus the boots easily covered 2000 km before the sole showed wear. They probably would be ok for 3000 km but for safety sake new boots were purchased every 2 years.... Best of all I never had a blister.
I like the no blister aspect. Thanks! What’s the sock that people put on first, before their wool sock? I’ve only ever worn a smart wool sock, neary a blister myself. 😊

I have a pair of Keens mid boots which are no longer made- but are probably a precursor to what Keens have as boot trainers now. But boots can be harder to fit than say trail runners- I have a narrow ankle and it took multiple trying on of different boots to find the best fit ( and Keens hadn't entered my head as the had reputation for being wide fitting). But when my current boots end their life I'd probably look at the more trainer boot styles like the Sportiva above or Keens ones.

I have a couple of Bridgedale coolmax liners and a wide selection of different brands of wool socks to go with them for winter hiking at home or camino.

My other comment is to consider some gaiters as well...not a necessity but may be useful

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a pair of Keens mid boots which are no longer made- but are probably a precursor to what Keens have as boot trainers now. But boots can be harder to fit than say trail runners- I have a narrow ankle and it took multiple trying on of different boots to find the best fit ( and Keens hadn't entered my head as the had reputation for being wide fitting). But when my current boots end their life I'd probably look at the more trainer boot styles like the Sportiva above or Keens ones.

I have a couple of Bridgedale coolmax liners and a wide selection of different brands of wool socks to go with them for winter hiking at home or camino.

My other comment is to consider some gaiters as well...not a necessity but may be useful
Gators are definitely on my list. Yes, liners is what I was asking about. Thanks! I’ve always had an arch issue with keens but thanks for the suggestion. 😁

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For Camino - Bridgedale cool max liners; smart wool mid-weight thick socks, Zamberlan ultra lite leather boots.

Off camino and into the hills Scarpa Cat2 or 3 boots; but they’re overkill for trail walking.

For Camino - Bridgedale cool max liners; smart wool mid-weight thick socks, Zamberlan ultra lite leather boots.

Off camino and into the hills Scarpa Cat2 or 3 boots; but they’re overkill for trail walking.
Wow those Zamberlan’s look good but a bit out of my budget. Thanks for the liner and sock idea.

My boots, as you see in my picture. Meindl. I wear them most of the year at home until I change to sandals. They last a long time. I prefer the fit to the shoes of the same brand. Even in the heat, they are just right for my feet.
I use a variety of smartwool socks - whatever design takes my fancy, generally low ankle - even low ones are fine with the boots. I used liner socks on the CF but would no longer bother with those although yes to sheep's wool as a precaution when I detect a hot spot. You are right to check this out, as something will be the right thing for you from so much varied experience.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My boots, as you see in my picture. Meindl. I wear them most of the year at home until I change to sandals. They last a long time. I prefer the fit to the shoes of the same brand. Even in the heat, they are just right for my feet.
I use a variety of smartwool socks - whatever design takes my fancy, generally low ankle - even low ones are fine with the boots. I used liner socks on the CF but would no longer bother with those although yes to sheep's wool as a precaution when I detect a hot spot. You are right to check this out, as something will be the right thing for you from so much varied experience.
You’re right there is a variety to check out. I like the memory foam option in Meindl but from what I can see they’re not available in the USA, I only see UK sizes. Is this right? I’m not able to try them on before I purchase. They do look nice.

I know nothing of memory foam. I buy insoles in the shop when I buy the boots, and the insoles have lasted for two pairs of boots! As for buying without trying on - I would not do that. There are other brands I am sure in your own country that would suit you, so best to pay attention to the peole who name the brands you know you can try on...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You’re right there is a variety to check out. I like the memory foam option in Meindl but from what I can see they’re not available in the USA, I only see UK sizes. Is this right? I’m not able to try them on before I purchase. They do look nice.
Meindl boots are available in the United States. Do an online search and near you to see if anyone near where you live carries them.

I walk in Hoka One One trail runners....Speedgoat 4's with Goretex in winter/rainy season (rainy Portland, Oregon) and the non Gore Tex versions when it is warmer/dryer. Lots of foot problems until I switched to Hoka's a couple of years back....now I never have any more foot worries or issues. Very cushy and stable. Planning a Del Norte trek this upcoming October with a new set of Speedgoat 4 Goretex shoes.

https://www.hoka.com/en/us/mens-trail/speedgoat-4-gtx/1106530.html.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For my winter hiking here I generally wear Salomon Quest 4 boots. They've been a decent balance of warmth, dryness and breathability. Might wear gaiters some days, might not. Depends on the conditions, half-leather need to be kept clean to maintain their performance.

I suppose it depends on the conditions you are likely to hit. Full leather will be a lot better in harsh conditions but half-leather boots will be lighter, breathe a lot better and dry out quicker generally.

If you're likely to see icy conditions then a pair of Yaktrax are worth the extra weight (also good on muddy slopes).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wear my Brooks Cascadias on all my caminos. Now I am walking in November and December and I still wear them. This year I bought these:

They are very lightweight and take up very little room. Really easy to get on and off. Let's see how they work out.
Those are interesting. I'd like to know how they work out for you on your upcoming Camino. :) Which route will you be walking?

Those are interesting. I'd like to know how they work out for you on your upcoming Camino. :) Which route will you be walking?
I am starting on October 22nd on the Aragones. I will walk to Logrono for sure. After that it is up in the air. May go to Madrid and walk that Camino to Santiago. May just stay on the Frances or I may even go to Lisbon and walk the CP again but this time do the coastal instead of the inland route from Porto. I guess the Camino Gods will consume me somewhere before Logrono and show me the way!!! haha But I will try to let you know. Who knows may need them lots or not at all.

Please don’t flog me as I know footwear is a personal preference and it’s been discussed to no end.

I’ve always worn trail runners/hiking shoes which have worked great for my three Camino’s. However, I definitely wouldn’t wear them in the Winter.

I’m clueless when it comes to a hiking boot let alone one that will be comfortable while keeping my feet warm and dry in mud and snow.

Please advise with pictures and brands with what boot and sock combo worked best for you.

I appreciate all posts 😎
Winter has many variations in weather depending on location. What I wear depends on the conditions not the season. Do I expect snow, only rain, temps below freezing, ice, …. So if you can define what you expect to encounter that would help with the answer. 🙂

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am starting on October 22nd on the Aragones. I will walk to Logrono for sure. After that it is up in the air. May go to Madrid and walk that Camino to Santiago. May just stay on the Frances or I may even go to Lisbon and walk the CP again but this time do the coastal instead of the inland route from Porto. I guess the Camino Gods will consume me somewhere before Logrono and show me the way!!! haha But I will try to let you know. Who knows may need them lots or not at all.
What a great plan, the not much of a plan plan Hahaha! :) I hope you have great weather and won't need them but there if you do. Buen Camino!! :)

I’ve hiked in February on the CF starting in Pamplona. When the snow gets heavy on the mountain paths it is can be necessary to stay on the roads as the snow maybe at your knees on higher or the paths. So, really no need for high boots, IMO, but a decent hiking shoe works for me. Other caminos may require different shoes.

Winter has many variations in weather depending on location. What I wear depends on the conditions not the season. Do I expect snow, only rain, temps below freezing, ice, …. So if you can define what you expect to encounter that would help with the answer. 🙂
Thanks! :) I expect to encounter rain, snow, sleet, mud, more rain and ice. Yep, that's about it. Oh and wind, can't forget the wind. I'm a little frightened 😬🥶 Hahahah.

Last edited:
I’ve hiked in February on the CF starting in Pamplona. When the snow gets heavy on the mountain paths it is can be necessary stay on the roads as the snow maybe at your knees or higher or the paths. So, really no need for high boots, IMO, but a decent hiking shoe works for me. Other caminos may require different shoes.
Good to know, thanks! I'm thinking a mid boot, nothing higher than that. There is so much to choose from, actually too many. For me this is the hardest part. What shoes to buy. :)

What a great plan, the not much of a plan plan Hahaha! :) I hope you have great weather and won't need them but there if you do. Buen Camino!! :)
Oh I forgot to mention. Please make a note to write me so I can report back to you in late December. I can't remember what I just ate for breakfast an hour ago. I would like to give you a product rating so please get in touch.

Thanks! :) I expect to encounter rain, snow, sleet, mud, more rain and ice. Yep, that's about it. Oh and wind, can't forget the wind. I'm scared. Hahahah.
Winter has many variations in weather depending on location. What I wear depends on the conditions not the season. Do I expect snow, only rain, temps below freezing, ice, …. So if you can define what you expect to encounter that would help with the answer.
Speaking of Davebugg and my boots. Dave was the one who recommended these boots in the first place. Can I possibly go wrong with a Davebugg suggestion???? ;) :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh I forgot to mention. Please make a note to write me so I can report back to you in late December. I can't remember what I just ate for breakfast an hour ago. I would like to give you a product rating so please get in touch.
I will make a note of it right now, if I don't we may never get the chance to catch up as I already forgot what I had for breakfast. Hahahaha! :)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.