• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

shower/evening foot wear

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yep crocs; wear in the shower, out for a meal, as substitute footwear for walking if needed. Fortunately I've forgotten how unusual they look :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Something with an arch that you could walk in for a day or three if needed. Fit, tread and shower suitable is what matters.
Check out Teva or Keens. Keens fit my clown feet well.

BackDoor Shoes (check out their website) A great alternative to crocs although I wouldn't want to wear them for a days walk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walk in the Spring normally and the evenings can be chilly when going out later on for dinner. Therefore I don't like to use flipflops as I like the coziness of socks. I purchase relatively inexpensive lightweight "crocklike material" slip on sandals that work well in the shower and also with socks. My pair last year were from Walmart. It seems if you bring awesome Keens, etc you would still need a third pair of shower flipflops.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My priority is weight. I understand this isn't a priority for everyone but I'm pretty small, have a tendency to break bones, and I like to carry my pack. I just use cheap plastic scuffs/slides that may or may not be a rip off of these from Crocs http://www.crocs.com/p/crocs-baya-slide/12000.html?cgid=slide-sandals&cid=001#start=7. ;):p;):p
My pair of scuffs weigh 125 g/4.4 oz.

I tried those, but they weren't wide enough for my feet. A good shower and relaxation shoe if one can manage, though.

I love my light weight Tevas. They've been on both the Frances and the Portuguese.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have wide feet and like having arch support, so I took my Chaco sandals, which ended up being more comfortable for walking than my shoes, so I did most of the Camino in those. The authors of the Village to Village Camino guidebook walk in Chacos, too. I loved being able to step in fountains to cool off my feet and not having to remove my shoes when I got to albergues. I could also wear them in the shower. Could add socks to them when it was cold. The most important feature - the ONLY important feature - of any walking sandals is if they fit your feet, so don't just go on anybody's recommendation... see how they feel on you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
i will be walking from leon to santiago in october and want ideas as what i can take for the shower other than flip flops thanks

Aqua socks?

My experience with flip flops was not ideal. Walked CF last May, taking flip flops (w arch support) because I was trying to save weight. I discovered some nights were cooler than expected- flip flops w socks : ( I adapted one pair of wool socks by cutting a slit between big toe & 2nd toe then sewing closed so the flop flop thong fit between my toes. This actually worked OK for cooler weather.
The one day my boots were killing me, I did not fair well walking the last 2 miles into Pamplona in flip flops.
Next time I'll just bring my Teva sandals & cut weight elsewhere!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one day my boots were killing me, I did not fair well walking the last 2 miles into Pamplona in flip flops.
This is the reason I won't take the Xero sandals. Even though they are super comfortable, can adjust everywhere, use with or without socks and can get soaked - I can't walk with a pack using them. Feeling arch pain after a mile or so means I won't take them.

Whatever you plan to take, make sure they are comfortable and you can walk a few miles with your pack on. Everything changes when you add the weight of your pack.

Birkenstock makes a waterproof model. Next time I walk I will bring those. That way I can easily wear socks when it gets colder.

Barefoot in the shower. Lightweight Columbia sandals for afternoon/evening and some walking.

Not recommended ... 30 or so years ago, I went backpacking/camping in Malaga ... the bathroom toilets there were the squatting variety ... the janitor used to clean the toilet using the same mop that he used for the rest of the bathroom ... ewww ... nope, EWWW ... flip flops or aqua socks for me since then ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I took crocs on my first Camino but they take up a lot of room in backpack and are not good for walking if needed in an emergency. The last three Camino's I have taken Teva sandals. Great, non-slip in the shower and dry in a few minutes. Used them in the evenings with socks if it was. Old and also for wading through streams which were quite frequent on the VDLP. Also good arch support and tread.

Another vote for flipflops!

I worry about arch support. I've been doing some research and Vionic seems to come up a lot. I now need to find some locally to try on as I'm hearing the "depends what fits your foot" advice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
i will be walking from leon to santiago in october and want ideas as what i can take for the shower other than flip flops thanks
Check out Teva walking sandals. Water proof and great grip for walking if you need an option to your normal footwear. (think mine are Teva F4's). Took them on Camino last year and they're coming back with me again in September . . .

Not recommended ... 30 or so years ago, I went backpacking/camping in Malaga ... the bathroom toilets there were the squatting variety ... the janitor used to clean the toilet using the same mop that he used for the rest of the bathroom ... ewww ... nope, EWWW ... flip flops or aqua socks for me since then ...
Fortunately, no squat toilets on the Camino now. I've done two Caminos with bare feet in the shower with no ill effect. I'm not sure how much protection flip flops give in a slow draining shower where you are standing in an inch and a half of water.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Tevas, definitely. Barefoot in showers. Last spring the showers and actually all the bathrooms were very clean. Surprised me.

I have taken flip flops on two Caminos for shower only- I take a cheap pair of tennis shoes to wear at night. This year (my third camino) I have not yet decided--I would prefer only two pairs as opposed to three counting my Lowa low cut waterproof hike shoes. I am looking at Tevas.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.