• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shower or drizzle ( April )

magarac

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2023
Good morning !
Need an advice please. I will start my Camino Francés end of March from SJPdP, and hope to finish at Santiago by the end of April. I would expect some amount of rain some/most of the days, but not sure about intensity ( showers vs drizzle ) and frequency ( once or multiple times in a day ) or time ( mornings / afternoons ? ).
I found good info at:
https://weatherspark.com/m/40695/4/Average-Weather-in-April-in-Pamplona-Spain
https://weatherspark.com/m/32567/4/Average-Weather-in-April-in-Santiago-de-Compostela-Spain
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-rain-in-spain.39825/

and I’m trying to figure out what type of rain outfit to wear in combination with warm layers. I have GoreTex over-pants that I can easily pull over the hiking pants without taking shoes off, hope that would be sufficient ? I.e. I would rather avoid hiking whole day in rain outfit if it is dry day. Still need to get good waterproof gloves.

Also, I would appreciate any weather / clothing advice for April in general.
Best,
magarac

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Personally I have never worn rain over-pants - although I do on the motorbike! But not walking.

I have had days of pouring rains and other times the opposite. You can't tell from one year to the next how it will be for you. Except perhaps to add that It Always Rains In Galicia!

The big decision I think is what to wear on the top half. And that may determine if you take the over pants. I did take water proof over pants on the first camino and never have since.

The choice is waterproof jacket v waterproof poncho v Altus waterproof backpack raincoat.

I can tell you from trying all that none is perfect.

Jackets: Look good, double as a warm insulating layer. But once I start walking, unless it is really cold, I quickly get too hot in a jacket regardless of how "breathable" it is supposed to be. It is a pain to take on and off, requires taking a backpack on and off. Also requires a pack cover. Pack straps get wet, sometimes adding to the difficulty of keeping rain from seeping into the top of the jacket.

Ponchos: Plus is that they probably give the most air circulation, don't require removal of a backpack to put on and off, and they give great coverage of body and pack, they stop water from seeping down your back (assuming a hood). I never found a problem with wind, I would thread my backpack belt through the side openings, and cinch the belt over the top of the front of the poncho. Downside is that you might need help to get them on and off, they do have to be very big to go over a backpack, and they don't usually cover the bottom of the arms - I've experienced water creeping upwards from my wrists, a case of rising damp.

Altus raincoat with pouch to cover backpack: Plus is that they open all the way down the front, allowing air circulation, and are very easy to push off without removing the backpack, and can be easily pulled on again (I let mine hang over my backpack if I think there is any chance of rain). They give excellent coverage, including arms (they have set in sleeves, like a normal raincoat) and if long enough (mine is) they cover the legs as well. Bad points - they feel a bit like walking in a plastic bag. I wish they had pit zips and were made of a more pleasant feeling fabric.

What will I take on the next camino? Probably the Altus. But I'm still experimenting with poncho alternatives.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Rain gear is personal preference. Many prefer a poncho, I prefer a rain jacket with pit zips. Some only hike with waterproof pants, some never wear waterproof pants. Some use an umbrella, others won’t. Some use rain gloves and waterproof socks. Others don’t.Some prefer goretex boots, others don’t.

Normally I do a rain jacket and no rain pants no goretex shoes and no waterproof socks or gloves. Umbrella optional. If weather permits I hike in shorts, but my long pants are quick dry material so if they get wet, they dry quickly as I continue to walk after a rain or I hang dry in the albergue. If my socks get too wet I change them mid-day…. But usually they don’t get very wet even when it is raining all day.

But in colder/winter conditions I am more likely to bring all of the above so I do own all of these items. And no - I don’t recommend hiking in waterproof pants all day… just over your clothes when it is actually raining unless you do need them for an extra warm layer and/or wind proofing your legs. I do find ultralight versions of all my gear to the extent possible to keep pack weight down since these items will be carried more than worn.

I walked in September/October and brought a poncho and rain pants. I only wore the pants twice but I was glad I had them as it was raining very heavily. They weren't goretex and didn't weigh too much so I was comfortable with the extra weight to be carried. I loved the poncho for the ease of throwing it on over my pack.

Someone (on a different thread, forget which) recommended a rain kilt (ULA) as a bottom, which made sense to me because it was small (fits in an integrated pocket about size of eyeglasses case), lightweight, easy on/off since it wraps around the waist with Velcro (and you don’t need to take off shoes) and ventilates better than rain pants, so after watching some YouTubes about it, I ordered one and will try not to be too self conscious wearing it, ha! It might also work as something to sit down on if not being worn during rain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ha, never heard of this ULA kilt, so I found info at:
The first review/comment is:
"YES to eye-popping orange rain kilt. Don’t wear this in Pamplona..."
:)

Indeed, it all comes to personal choice and tolerance. I figured this "Altus raincoat" is EU brand, could not find it on US Amazon. I think I'll stop by local REI and see what they have in store.

Many thanks to all comments !
Best

A very variable time of year although you are (in my opinion) correct to anticipate rain. There’s simply no way of forecasting intensity and duration.

Are you able to walk in your chosen solution all day if necessary?

Can you make reasonably easy adjustments if there are sufficient breaks in the rain to justify it?

I know I’m really just rephrasing your original questions. Only you can really answer them.

Have a good time.

I’ve also been interested in finding the Altus but doesn’t seem available in US. It has features I like (fits over your pack, longer sleeves, not too pricey, fairly compact when folded up, etc) that I have not been able to find in local options, including at REI. It seems ideal for Camino, maybe designed for it, not just a doing sports in rain option. There are some other threads referencing Altus on this site - including contacting sellers in Spain to reserve for pickup, depending on your start place. If you’re interested these might contain useful info for you

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’ve also been interested in finding the Altus but doesn’t seem available in US. It has features I like (fits over your pack, longer sleeves, not too pricey, fairly compact when folded up, etc) that I have not been able to find in local options, including at REI. It seems ideal for Camino, maybe designed for it, not just a doing sports in rain option. There are some other threads referencing Altus on this site - including contacting sellers in Spain to reserve for pickup, depending on your start place. If you’re interested these might contain useful info for you
You are right that there are no retailers for Altus in the US.

In SJPdP you can reserve and pick up an Altus here.

In Pamplona You can buy one at Caminoteca

I believe that there is also a store in León that sells them.

Hi, I found this
Anyoo Waterproof Rain Poncho Lightweight Reusable Hiking Hooded Coat Jacket for Outdoor Activities
which looks very much like the Altus. It weighs 760 gms, but it serves the same purpose. Take a look:

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I found this
Anyoo Waterproof Rain Poncho Lightweight Reusable Hiking Hooded Coat Jacket for Outdoor Activities
which looks very much like the Altus. It weighs 760 gms, but it serves the same purpose. Take a look:
I purchased one of the Anyoo ponchos above and it is heavy and large. It was too big for me and I ended up not taking it. My husband might use it this time around. It does zip-up and has buttons and it does cover the pack. The same company sells a smaller version that I purchased and it is perfect for me (5'7" medium build) and it fits over my 30L pack easily. I have yet to wear it in heavy rain. The sleeves are a little short for me though they go down to my upper wrist, but I have long arms. Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4DRVJGD?tag=casaivar02-20

I purchased one of the Anyoo ponchos above and it is heavy and large. It was too big for me and I ended up not taking it. My husband might use it this time around. It does zip-up and has buttons and it does cover the pack. The same company sells a smaller version that I purchased and it is perfect for me (5'7" medium build) and it fits over my 30L pack easily. I have yet to wear it in heavy rain. The sleeves are a little short for me though they go down to my upper wrist, but I have long arms. Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4DRVJGD?tag=casaivar02-20
How much does it weigh?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As my mum, having done 2 camino, says.
If it's raining you'd better be off in shorts, cause legs are easy to dry.

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.