• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shower shoes?

alxis

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Camino Frances May-June 2019
Should we wear flip flops or something in the showers? Or is that something we don't really have to worry about?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Maybe I was lucky - I wore flip flops but not for the shower. I think I did once or twice.

If you can spare the additional weight, I would advise -yes.

Some of the shower floors in some albergues leave a lot to be desired in terms of cleanliness if you are a late arrival.

Alternatively, you could practice at home to take "hand-stand showers". :rolleyes:

Buen (feet-fungal-free) Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Footwear for the shower is a personal thing. My guess is that if you are asking then you should take something. If you're a germophobe *definitely* take flip-flops, if you are using a communal shower in a gym/swimming pool and would normally wear flip-flops take flip-flops. If you're staying in private accommodation/hotels I wouldn't bother. If you've always gone barefoot in public shower spaces and it has never occurred to you that some people wear people flip-flops in a communal shower/ you never worry about this kind of thing don't take them!

Athletes foot is not something you want to attract to your feet while on the Camino, plus, what are you going to wear once you get to the Albergue? You're required to remove your shoes at the entrance and leave them at the entrance, you don't want to walk on that dirty albergue floor and trash your socks or walk barefoot, this is where a cheap pair of flip flops will do the job fine.

I took flip flops to use in the shower then wore them around the town after walking. Their soles were soft so they were great to air my feet but also to give them a break from my hiking shoes.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I have never done it and have found that most albergues are pretty clean, at least when they first open for the day. Some people do though, so its personal choice. If you want to and want to save weight you can get some all plastic flipflops which would dry almost instantly after a shower. I had some like this which I used for the evenings and bought in Decathlon for less than €5.

I had sandals for albergues that dried quickly.... so I used them in the shower whenever I wanted.
But more often I did not use them in the shower but just went barefoot.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I guess I must be a germaphobe because I wear flip flops in the albergue showers and they also sit on the floor by the bottom of my albergue bunk in case needed for a midnight bathroom run. I would never choose to walk barefoot in the albergue, then slip my dirty foot bottoms back into my sleep sack. :eek:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Definately take jandels for shower and when you take your boots off at the end of the day . I used Teva’s but they were not always dry by the next day and it was hard to keep feet and between toes dry at times . Important component of not getting blisters is clean and dry feet and that is sometimes difficult with those little towels that don’t allow you to dry yourself well.

Nothing wrong with wearing flip flops that I wear in the shower out in town, what makes them disgusting?
Albergue shower floors aren't exactly the most sanitary surfaces, especially when they don't drain quickly.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Should we wear flip flops or something in the showers? Or is that something we don't really have to worry about?
Won't go into yes/no debate over flip flops in the shover because that's really exclusively your decision but if you decide to do so be carefull not to slip. Flip-flops can be lethal on wet surface!!! (I use them otherwise on Caminos)

Yes, for two reasons, one being protection against fungus and the second being safety on slippery surfaces.

Don’t forget there are shops in to buy most things along the way so if you need something remember you are not in really remote areas .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love my Xero (Z-Trail) sandals as they weigh less than flip flops, they don't flap as I walk, they can double as shower or beach shoes, and they can be used in the evenings for walking around town. Check them out.....

Although they cost $79 US as compared to $5 Aus for thongs......love

Although they cost $79 US as compared to $5 Aus for thongs......love
Yep. They sounded great so I looked them up. It was disappointing to find them for a whopping $79 US. I guess I'll stick with Croc sandals for around $20. They now make many attractive styles that weigh very little.

As you can see, there is a variety of experience and opinion here in the forum. Please allow me to add my experience.

I get foot fungus infections fairly easily. I also contact bronchial problems fairly easily. So, I counter the first by always wearing flip-flops (the cheap ones) in any shower. The later issue is addressed by staying in private rooms in commercial lodgings where available.

As regards shoes or footwear more broadly, I wear mid-height boots (Keen Targhee II) and pack a pair of sturdy outdoor sandals (Ecco). The boots support me during the day, The sandals are for evening and rest day wear, as well as post-Camino, at Santiago. The flip flops are my potentially expendable method to avoid getting foot infections.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Perhaps I am just one of the lucky few who choose not to wear footwear in the showers. In all my years of backpacking and staying in hostels, I've never had foot fungus and neither have i knowingly passed on any foot nasries.

Three Caminos and never wore footwear in the shower. I have sandals for the evenings, but don't wear them in the shower. If I have to get up to use the bathroom at night I usually just go barefoot.
Same here! Never had any fungal issues - also 3 times....

I love my Xero (Z-Trail) sandals as they weigh less than flip flops, they don't flap as I walk, they can double as shower or beach shoes, and they can be used in the evenings for walking around town. Check them out.....
These look great - thanks for the tip.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Flip flops and the like are not necessary for the showers. Yes, some floors are worse than others but if you use common sense you are not going to pick cup some fungal disease where your toes curl and fall off. Leave them behind unless you want them to wear around at the end of the day.

I have plastic slip ons (not flip flops so I can wear with socks) but an option is to carry a very light small travel towel and stand on it while showering.

Attachments

• IMG_20181211_092637.jpg
    IMG_20181211_092637.jpg
    750.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Flip-flops are multi-purpose, but seasonally limited. What I got instead, because mine was a fall Camino ending in colder December, was a pair of Crocs knock-offs at one of the Chinese shops along the way. They're unbelievably light weight and easily strapped on the outside of my pack. They make great shower shoes, but if your feet get blistered or just sore as heck from walking and you desperately want something gentle that you can still walk around town in on the evenings or just to wear around the albergue, these are great.

Yes! I’m not a germaphobe but cheap flip flops were a must for me. Some albergues varied in cleanliness, and we pilgrims also have varying degrees of hygiene, so at the end of the day wearing flippies made me feel a little better. I just stashed them in a side pocket on the outside of my backpack.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

We brought our hiking boots, plus a pair of TEVA sandals, which we used to give our feet a break from the boots in places like “La Meceta”. So these were our shower shoes, we used them, and since they Only have the straps made out of material it was easy to dry, we hung them outside the backpack away from our clothes, but we saw others wrap them in plastic and put inside pack. I hope this helps! Buen Camino!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've noticed that many of those who have responded here that do NOT have footwear for the showers are women. I can attest that many of my fellow MALE pilgrims have very poor aim when to comes to using the toilets. As a result I don't want to venture into the toilet area in the middle of the night barefoot . . .

I can't wear flip flops - the thong between my toes irritates within a few minutes. I found an inexpensive pair of lightweight (9oz) "water" shoes that drain and dry very quickly. While I wouldn't want to walk between villages in them, they were quite suitable on pavement in town in the evenings and most of the couple of days I spent in Madrid post Camino.

Hi, I may be repeating previous advice here. I used to bring flip flops for evening wear and shower use but on colder evenings when socks are needed my crocs weigh slightly more than flip flops. It's so nice to let air at your feet after wearing boots all day.

Flip flops, sandals or crocs are all good you can also wear them around the auberge and town to give your feet a break. I love my boots and wear them all day but carry a pair of sandals for use around where I am staying

My vote goes to slip-on croc sandals. Weigh almost nothing, can wear in shower, non-slip and can wear with socks if necessary.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Having showered in the Army for 30 years I always wore thongs and never got tinia in my life. Just put them in the side pockets and throw them on when you are half way through your day’s walk whilst you are airing your feet as well

throw them on when you are half way through your day’s walk whilst you are airing your feet as well

They won't read this Mick but that the best advice anyone commencing a camino will receive.
Every 3 hours HRH does without fail.

I'm bringing Crocs. Recently bought a pair and can't stop wearing them.
As long as you follow Mick's advice Anthony [ 2 above ] then blisters free and an easy walk.
Crocs in the shower and to walk around the villages

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Flip-flops 1st camino, lightweight crocs for the 2nd and 3rd. Sticking with the crocs for the next camino too, as can wear them with socks around town as well as in the shower and going off to the wc at night. Yeah, the aim is pretty bad in those unisex wc.

My feet are not prone to fungi or infections but just in case I did wear my Xero sandals in some showers (municipals & questionable showers, but not in higher-end or private albergues). The Xero sandals were obnoxious to get in and out of (they weren't the flip-flop style) and were too thin to be comfortable for my poor feet in the evenings. Next time I'll take crocs.

My feet are not prone to fungi or infections but just in case I did wear my Xero sandals in some showers (municipals & questionable showers, but not in higher-end or private albergues). The Xero sandals were obnoxious to get in and out of (they weren't the flip-flop style) and were too thin to be comfortable for my poor feet in the evenings. Next time I'll take crocs.
I also tag my crocs on the outside of my recksac for easy access. So I when sit down for coffee/beer/feet soak in a stream near my day's destination I have refreshed feet on arrival. I keep a small absorbant cloth in an outer pocket to dry my feet. Ideal is a microfiber dishcloth.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also tag my crocs on the outside of my recksac for easy access. So I when sit down for coffee/beer/feet soak in a stream near my day's destination I have refreshed feet on arrival. I keep a small absorbant cloth in an outer pocket to dry my feet. Ideal is a microfiber dishcloth.

Ahhh sounds lovely! On one stretch of the Meseta where you can choose to walk along the highway or walk on the overgrown path in the woods, I walked in the woods. It was a blisteringly hot day and I had some tendonitis in my ankle. But I took my time and I'd stop now and then to soak my feet in the stream -- so wonderful! Really helped my ankle. I just used my camp towel to dry off but having a microfiber cloth would be handy.

For evenings I hated my Xero sandals so much; I might as well of had lead planks on my feet. I envied the Croc-wearing pilgrims; I imagined them walking around with fluffy clouds on. I almost bought a pair in Léon but couldn't justify the price when I paid so much for my Xeros and could get Crocs a lot cheaper at home. Oh well - next time!

Superlight luggage could
Superlight luggage can have plastic bag shoe protection( like on airport security points) or simple 2 plastic bags on barefoot in the shower or toilet ( i used this on long flights too) but i would never go barefooted. Guys who have bigger luggage, of course is best flip flops that you use later in city walk

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.