• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Showering and changing/washing clothes...how often?

keeps the bed bugs away.
Yep...I have been bitten by the mozzies a few times and haven’t had malaria once but...the reaction is sufficient to end up in accident and emergency for a powerful injection of antibiotics in the area where the sun doesn’t usually shine!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Why do you need permethrin in your clothes?? It's not a malaria carrying mosquito infested jungle trek.
keeps the bed bugs away.
I think the point was that bed bugs are not flying around biting you while you walk, unless they have hidden in your clothing in the albergue. It is easy to isolate your clothes during the night to protect them, and then isolate your night things while you walk, so you don't need to have permethrin on your clothes. Treating your sleeping things makes some sense, but treating walking clothing is not necessary.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
....ah, the joy of occasionally staying somewhere that provides a towel; shower in the evening and the morning. Amazing what a little deprivation can do to your sense of appreciation!!
It certainly changed my perception of luxury

I will be walking my first Camino in April. I plan to hike for about 2 weeks from Porto to Santiago. From what I've read, it seems that a lot of people shower and wash their clothes pretty often on the hike. I've been on week-long hikes without any showering and just one change of clothes. For the Camino, I was thinking that it would be much more convenient to not shower and change my clothes regularly, maybe just once or twice in the 2 weeks. Washing clothes every day seems like a huge hassle, and I would be worried that things drying overnight. I know it's ultimately up to preference...but am I crazy (or gross) for thinking this??

Wash yourself and you clothes at the end of every day, for the sake of your fellow pilgrims if nothing else. You can wash both at the same time by hitting the showers fully clothed if you're really pressed for time. As for drying time, buy quick-dry gear (especially Merino wool) and you'll be fine. You can also take a small clothesline that you can string up indoors in case it's raining outside. AND put some carabiners on your pack and you can hang your clothes off those so anything damp can dry as you walk.

Buen Camino :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can wash both at the same time by hitting the showers fully clothed if you're really pressed for time.
I don't understand this, unless of course you just walk out of the shower and let your clothes dry on your body. o_O:D That would save time, I suppose, but peeling wet clothes off surely takes longer than removing dry ones before your shower.

I don't understand this, unless of course you just walk out of the shower and let your clothes dry on your body. o_O:D That would save time, I suppose, but peeling wet clothes off surely takes longer than removing dry ones before your shower.

I never did it myself, but I met people along the way who did. Obviously you’d take them off, dry yourself and change into dry, clean clothes once you’re finished in there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just wondering if beg bugs prefer a smelly pilgrim or a washed one??
Any experiment before?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

You’re right, it would take more time and faff wouldn’t it! Also it seems to me that neither clothes nor body would be thoroughly clean afterwards.

But really, really dirty clothes, like my trousers after I'd fallen in the mud that time, can be put on the floor of the shower for the first rinse (and I stomped quite thoroughly on them while showering) for a pre-rinse before they're carried IN A BUCKET TO AVOID WETTING THE FLOOR to the washing facilities...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If the Albergue has washing machines then share the machine load with other pilgrims. Saves money, saves energy.

Sometimes hospitaleros or the owners will wash a load for you for a small fee. Again share loads.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.