• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Showing passport in an albergue

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016; Mansill de las Mulas to Finisterre/Muxia 2017; Aragones 2018; Suso/Yuso, Meseta 2019
When registering in an albergue I was always asked to show my passport in addition to my credencial. I felt reluctant to pull my neck wallet out of my shirt to get my passport. Is there a better way of handling this that I have not thought of? Perhaps I could show a photo copy of my passport that I would keep separately with my credencial?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When registering in an albergue I was always asked to show my passport in addition to my credencial. I felt reluctant to pull my neck wallet out of my shirt to get my passport. Is there a better way of handling this that I have not thought of? Perhaps I could show a photo copy of my passport that I would keep separately with my credencial?

I exactly did this too. Copy with credencial in one ziplockbag. Don't see why it would not work.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

What I do is transferring my passport from my money belt (where it lives in a ziplock back) to my fanny/bum/cangaroo back on my last stop before the albergue. Copies are accepted in some, but not all alberguea, especially the Xunta ones in Galicia do have signs stating "Original passport - No Copies"! Buen Camino, SY

PS It really isn't a big deal, if you travel anywhere in Europe and stay in a hotel or similar you nearly always have to show some form of official ID ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was asked to produce the original passport on a few occasions, usually in private albergues that have a special machine that scans the passport. Usually a copy will suffice

Davey

I kept passport, credencial, and wallet in the top pocket of my pack while walking. Whenever the pack came off the first thing ... always ... was to move passport and credencial to shirt pocket and wallet to pocket. All items were kept in ziplocs to protect them from moisture. No rooting around in obscure places when the items were needed. I found it helped maintain awareness of where my important stuff was at all times.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My passport is where my Credential is , in a ziplock back. It's not in my pack ,it's on me.
Wish you well , Peter.

It's an arcane requirement, so deal with it. Like several other posts have said keep you passport and your credential in a small plastic bag in your vest or pants pocket. Problem solved.

My passport is where my Credential is , in a ziplock back. It's not in my pack ,it's on me.
Wish you well , Peter.

Mental note to myself : maybe on my next Camino be less paranoid and not make copies of every card / document I have...:D Will make it easier too finding the original when really needed...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Something I am considering for the next time I renew my passport is to also get a US passport card, a national ID card. It cannot be used for most international travel but it can be used in lieu of a passport book when travelling by car between the US and Canada (me) or Mexico (you). If I get one, on the camino I would take both forms of passport. The passport book that I need to use to get me to and from Europe would be kept in a really safe place and the card could be kept with the camino credential. I know that I would have to pull out the passport book from time to time because the card might not be recognized for what it is but the card still might be worth it.

BTW, you don't need to wait for passport renewal time to get the card.

Here are some links:
https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Passport_Card
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prac...2366-us-passport-card-id-foreign-country.html

Something I am considering for the next time I renew my passport is to also get a US passport card, a national ID card. It cannot be used for most international travel but it can be used in lieu of a passport book when travelling by car between the US and Canada (me) or Mexico (you). If I get one, on the camino I would take both forms of passport. The passport book that I need to use to get me to and from Europe would be kept in a really safe place and the card could be kept with the camino credential. I know that I would have to pull out the passport book from time to time because the card might not be recognized for what it is but the card still might be worth it.

BTW, you don't need to wait for passport renewal time to get the card.

Here are some links:
https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Passport_Card
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prac...2366-us-passport-card-id-foreign-country.html
You are over complicating a very simple process. The new passport books are much more sturdy and more compact with less pages. The identity cards most European carry are great to speed up the process to pass through a security line but I doubt any American ID card would pass muster. I'm not sure what your point is?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm not sure that it can properly be described as arcane - here is current UK advice on Spain
"Hotels have a legal duty to register the passport details of tourists on check-in"
BTW, I'm a ManU fan and I still agree with you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You are over complicating a very simple process. The new passport books are much more sturdy and more compact with less pages. The identity cards most European carry are great to speed up the process to pass through a security line but I doubt any American ID card would pass muster. I'm not sure what your point is?
I don't know why a US passport card wouldn't be accepted??
This is what they look like

passport card.jpg

Carried all my valuables including my passport in a ziploc bag inside a zippered pocket of my Pacsafe tummy tote. It is an extremely secure pack as the the waist band and the body of the pack are slash-proof, the clasp requires both hands to release and the zippers can be clipped to the pack - tough for pickpockets. This was on my waist at all times except in the shower where I placed it in a plastic bag on an S-hook in the shower with me (yes, I even wore it at night). This made accessing my passport as well as a whole lot of other things like my phone/camera and snacks very easy.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-574/Venturesafe-100-GII-Anti-Theft-Hip-Pack

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As well as my passport I carry a colour photocopy of the front 2 pages of the passport (double-sided). Laminate the photocopy. It’s a perfect size to slip in my credential ready if requested.
In 99% of albergues it has always been sufficient. Only in Ourense have I been asked to produce the original passport.

I've been a hospitalera for years, and I help to run two albergues. The US passport card would be perfectly acceptable at any albergue. Passports or national IDs are required by the Guardia Civil these days; they help to track bad pilgrims as well as illness outbreaks, "disappeared" pilgrims, and the usual tourism stats, too.

What I have done for the past 5 years or so is make a good color copy of the front passport pages.
I trim them and fold them.
I have them laminated.
They now are very much like the EU identity cards that hospitaleros are used to seeing. They are always accepted by albergues, hotels, pensions, etc.
I have never had them question or rejected.
Obviously, they cannot be used for any official custom or government purposes.
I can then keep my passport tucked away in a secure waterproof area...but always accessible if needed.
It works!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For national security reasons, Spanish and European police request from all places that house travellers to keep a register and a copy of an ID document. Usually, this is the ID card for Europeans (we have an ID card with a number that identifies us and that we use for nearly everything) and passport for foreigners. There's no danger to hand over your passport for a minute. But if you have a valid ID-card from another country and you prefer to show this document, there shouldn't be any problem. With a copy you may have problems, as public albergues may be instructed to demand originals. Remember that Santiago was on level 5 security alert this summer (=maximum) and authorities are making huge efforts to guarantee general safety. A US identity card should be accepted as it identifies you and makes you traceble, but in case of doubt people at the albergues prefer not to have problems with the police and ask for what they have been instructed to: the original passport.

You are over complicating a very simple process.
My view of a simple process is: arrive at albergue, take out wallet, take out card, hand over card, take it back and put it back.

The complicated process is what I did do: arrive at albergue, pull shirt out of pants, pull up secure pouch on strap-like belt, unzip pouch, pull out book-like passport (without spilling spare cash, cards, etc.), remove passport from plastic bag, open up passport, hand over passport and then reverse the process.

That nuscience is just one reason why I love my fanny pack! Much easier to get at it at my fingertips.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Carried all my valuables including my passport in a ziploc bag inside a zippered pocket of my Pacsafe tummy tote. It is an extremely secure pack as the the waist band and the body of the pack are slash-proof, the clasp requires both hands to release and the zippers can be clipped to the pack - tough for pickpockets. This was on my waist at all times except in the shower where I placed it in a plastic bag on an S-hook in the shower with me (yes, I even wore it at night). This made accessing my passport as well as a whole lot of other things like my phone/camera and snacks very easy.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-574/Venturesafe-100-GII-Anti-Theft-Hip-Pack
I have an over the shoulder antitheft purse, but didn't know they came in a fannypack style. Awesome!

Never seen one and all I can say is good luck! Although it does look like a European ID card
Maybe TomA will chime in on this discussion.

OK Don, as requested, here I am "chiming in" on this thread. I have used both the Passsport card and the passport. I carry both, just-in-case But, then again, I am very much a "belt & suspenders" sort of guy...

I would NOT rely on a copy of your national passport. A copy of a passport is only good if your original gets lost and you need to gain access to a US consulate or embass to request an emergency replacement.

You will still need government-issued photo ID, like a driver license to prove WHO you are. This can occur anyplace at anytime.

A copy of a national passport proves nothing on its own. It is only suggestive of who you MIGHT be.

My national passport & pilgrim credential ride in a Lok-Sak 4" x 7" heavy duty ziplock in one of my cargo pockets. My passport card rides with my EU Bank Contact/ ATM card in a separate "Butterfly Wallet" in another pocket. Cash is in a separate, cash-only wallet...yup, in yet another pocket...I can be somewhat obsessive about security matters... I like the REI "Sahara" line of two-zip convertible cargo pants. They are available for women & men.

Just FYI, I have been traveling internationally for 40 years, in all parts of the world. I find that spreading the assets around is a wise idea.

FYI, NOTHING of any real value rides in my rear hip pockets. That is where my Buff and small microfiber hand towel ride, one in each. I make extensive use of my front pockets and cargo pockets.

If I use a "fanny" pack, or something that serves that purpose, it ALWAYS rides in FRONT, a "gut bag" if you will. This also applies to a shoulder bag. I always shift the bag to the front where one arm can ride atop it. I am particular to the 16 liter, zip top, Sea to Summit "Sling Bag."

I hope this helps

Thanks Tom. The multiple pocket is always a good idea, I like front pockets because I think that a pickpocket won't go there. While I was in West Africa for 4 years whenever I had to go to any capitol city I also carried a bogus wallet with a few notes, expired credit cards and expired passport in it. If I was held up I would have gladly handed it over and had a good laugh when the perp realized what he stolen from me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mental note to myself : maybe on my next Camino be less paranoid and not make copies of every card / document I have...:D Will make it easier too finding the original when really needed...

We make copies(scans) of everything of an official nature for identity purposes and travel and then created a special folder in our email acct. so that if needed we can always go somewhere, open the folder and print out a copy.

I have used both the Passsport card and the passport. I carry both, just-in-case

My national passport & pilgrim credential ride in a Lok-Sak 4" x 7" heavy duty ziplock in one of my cargo pockets. My passport card rides with my EU Bank Contact/ ATM card in a separate "Butterfly Wallet" in another pocket.

Thanks, Tom. I'm wondering if the passport card is actually useful for you. Since you show your passport book with your credential it looks like you mainly use it for backup such as if your passport book got stolen and you wanted to show the embassy that you were you.

Thanks Tom. The multiple pocket is always a good idea, I like front pockets because I think that a pickpocket won't go there. While I was in West Africa for 4 years whenever I had to go to any capitol city I also carried a bogus wallet with a few notes, expired credit cards and expired passport in it. If I was held up I would have gladly handed it over and had a good laugh when the perp realized what he stolen from me.

When traveling as a tourist, I carry a "throw down wallet." This is a very cheap wallet with several dummy plastic or card stock credit cards (the type you get in the mail). I add a few US one dollar bills for effect.

This wallet rides in a rear hip pocket, where a man tradionally carries a wallet. If accosted, this wallet gets tossed one way, while I exit quickly in the other direction.

I only had to use it once in all my years of traveling. But when I needed it I was glad I had it.

Of course, this is not needed on Camino. Just use common sense and leave most of your wallet contents at home. Only carry what you KNOW you will need.

I hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks, Tom. I'm wondering if the passport card is actually useful for you. Since you show your passport book with your credential it looks like you mainly use it for backup such as if your passport book got stolen and you wanted to show the embassy that you were you.

Showing the US Passport Card when possible is a lot less conspicuous than flashing a US National Passport. As you may have noticed, a lot of people around the world are not fond of us for any number of reasons. If they are loooking for a victim, or just a scapegoat, their interest is increased when they see the blue booklet.

My professional training, and my learned behavior over the decades is to try to travel low key, or "under the radar" without drawing attention to the fact that I am a US Citizen.

Bringing the card and passport is more about options and flexibility, rather than weight. The card weighs a nil amount. However, it has its uses.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Bringing the card and passport is more about options and flexibility, rather than weight. The card weighs a nil amount. However, it had its uses.
Thanks again Tom. One of the reasons I am thinking of getting the card is that I remember back in the day when only a driver's license was needed for US/Canada border crossings and the idea of now having to have a passport for this irks me. With the card I can fool myself into thinking that I'm not using a passport.

Also, I noticed that many albergues now note which document the number they write down refers to - DNI (identity card) and Pass for Passport, so they are well used to getting shown both types from different pilgrims. Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm an Australian. We Aussies have been advised by our Government/ Police force over many years, to ensure that Passports, credit cards and these types of ID, shouldn't be taken out of our sight. That situation can, but may not always, lead to Identity Fraud, which is more and more common these days. Therefore, I know that we were worried when they were taken out the back, out of our view. This occurred in a few places. In comparison it appears that in other countries, its common/ the law. So I can understand how for certain nationalities this practise is concerning.

This whole conversation is so helpful. Thank you all so much for sharing.

Oh...I forgot to ask about keeping a low profile as a US citizen? I didn't put my APOC patch on my patch for this reason. Overkill? Or wise?

Oh...I forgot to ask about keeping a low profile as a US citizen? I didn't put my APOC patch on my patch for this reason. Overkill? Or wise?

Overkill, I would say. (Edited). In any case, the badge will provide you with an opening to tell people what place you're from, the local APOC chapter etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh good. I kind of wanted to use it. I may get a forum one as well. That'll be 3 Camino patches then, including Camigas. :)

Oh good. I kind of wanted to use it. And I'll take all the sympathy anyone wants to throw my way at our new president, since I'm not a fan. :p I may get a forum one as well. That'll be 3 Camino patches then, including Camigas. :)
I'm a proud American and I'm attaching an American flag to my pack. Just as soon as I find a patch that can be glued. No reason to keep a low profile. It's not like you're traveling to Yemen :)

I'm going to England to visit Canterbury and Westminster abbey directly after leaving Spain. I'm considering it an extension of my Camino. I'm not worried about scary stuff...but pickpockets? Yes. I'll be watching out for that for sure.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Probably overkill. The folks who might wish you harm will be looking for the passport, NOT the APOC patch.

I have an APOC patch on my rucksack, along with my forum patch and several other signifying the various Caminos I have done. The APOC patch is just one among many.

I hope this helps.

I'm a proud American and I'm attaching an American flag to my pack.
Many decades ago I took a long trip that involved a lot of hitchhiking. To grab attention I had a bandana with small flags of the places I visited sewn onto it. I would drape it over my pack when waiting between rides. By far, the conversational piece turned out to be this flag:
Flag_of_Hawaii.png

Last edited:
The folks who might wish you harm will be looking for the passport, NOT the APOC patch.

Well sure. But the APOC patch pretty much alerts anyone around that I also have an American passport. :) But since y'all think its overkill I'll probably add it. More patches is better than less, right? lol

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

If you want to keep a low profile as an American, you are going to have to do more than not have the APOC patch. You are going to have to leave the fanny pack at home, not talk loudly in public, not point with your index finger, not use your speaker phone, not eat or drink something like a soft drink while you walk, not smile at strangers, not . . . well you get the picture. The fact is that most Europeans know you are an American before you even open your mouth.

If you want to keep a low profile as an American, you are going to have to do more than not have the APOC patch. You are going to have to leave the fanny pack at home, not talk loudly in public, not point with your index finger, not use your speaker phone, not eat or drink something like a soft drink while you walk, not smile at strangers, not . . . well you get the picture. The fact is that most Europeans know you are an American before you even open your mouth.

There are lots of Americans who won't use a fanny pack as well, fwiw. :) And yes, I knew a lot of this. My mother is British. She's the one who told me, "You'll peg yourself instantly in England as an American if you wear tennis shoes with jeans."

And Rick Steves also tells Americans to keep their voices down in Europe in his books. :p

My quote button didn't work so I had to go old school to add to your response Robert!
To be sure the fanny pack is the first clue, especially if it carried on the belly. Then you have the white "gym shoes" and socks (esp. among tourists) and if that isn't enough, a Jansport or North Face backpack and gear is a guaranteed give away. We Americans would stand out in a crowd of "Where's Waldo" plain and simple.
I can be sitting at a sidewalk bar at the Biarritz marche getting bashed and smashed by my best friends for slaughtering their dear language when someone points out, "Hey isn't that one of your countrymen?" The folks with camera around their necks and face stuck in tour maps come to mind, missing what is going on around them and not living in the minute; it reminds me of NPR character, Mr. Obvious!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My quote button didn't work so I had to go old school to add to your response Robert!
To be sure the fanny pack is the first clue, especially if it carried on the belly. Then you have the white "gym shoes" and socks (esp. among tourists) and if that isn't enough, a Jansport or North Face backpack and gear is a guaranteed give away. We Americans would stand out in a crowd of "Where's Waldo" plain and simple.
I can be sitting at a sidewalk bar at the Biarritz marche getting bashed and smashed by my best friends for slaughtering their dear language when someone points out, "Hey isn't that one of your countrymen?" The folks with camera around their necks and face stuck in tour maps come to mind, missing what is going on around them and not living in the minute; it reminds me of NPR character, Mr. Obvious!

Oh Lordy...I'm definitely going to be careful to heed the advice of "when in Rome." Lucky for us, the Camino is well marked so hopefully no need to stick my face in a map.

Let's truncate this thread. Someone should have answered the OP with "NO."
Original passport/Euro ID card (Brits, big question) and your credential in a plastic bag in an easily accessible place on your body. It stays with you all of the time, even in the shower.

The
Oh Lordy...I'm definitely going to be careful to heed the advice of "when in Rome." Lucky for us, the Camino is well marked so hopefully no need to stick my face in a map.
The only time I stuck my face in a map was when I was lost on the Portuguese, Ingles and Aragones, more than once. My immediate question was where the f**k am I after an hour of the sun being somewhere in the universe it should not have been.
BTW, the Michelin guide maps is one of the best because should you get off route it shows all the roads within 5 km of the Camino. Brierley does not do that.

The

My immediate question was where the f**k am I after an hour of the sun being somewhere in the universe it should not have been.

Now you sound like me! We moved rurally and I am used to knowing where I am based on where the ocean is (I learned to drive in So CA). Now I am surrounded by cornfields and when I get on the rural roads which pretty much ALL have 3 different names, this is what I am usually thinking... :D

I'm a proud American and I'm attaching an American flag to my pack. Just as soon as I find a patch that can be glued. No reason to keep a low profile. It's not like you're traveling to Yemen :)
Ditto. My American Flag is firmly attached to my pack as well. Someone else can fill the low profile boots.

Well sure. But the APOC patch pretty much alerts anyone around that I also have an American passport. :) But since y'all think its overkill I'll probably add it. More patches is better than less, right? lol
Eve,
I have my APOC patch on my bag. Actually several people thought it was a logo from a California basketball team. Only a few recognized it as an APOC patch.

€83,-
Once again...
All reference to politics in the forum is against the rules.
Posts containing references to the American election outcome will be deleted or edited...
The discussion concerning the acceptance/safety of Americans on the Camino is allowed within the forum rules.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino 2002, I drank Coca-Cola at nearly every meal, I've since decaffeinated, everytime the pretty red can was in hand, Euros would say: "You are so American".

Camino 2002, I drank Coca-Cola at nearly every meal, I've since decaffeinated, everytime the pretty red can was in hand, Euros would say: "You are so American".

I had not thought about it but I did not really see many other nationalities drinking Coke very often. The price alone would keep it down. Wine and coffee are about 1/2 the price.
Europeans are more likely to be drinking an orange drink like Kaz.

I'm looking forward to the experience of meeting people from many places. I love that I can converse with Camino friends from all over the world.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't think the patch thing is exclusively American.
Of course not. And I find the fellow pilgrims that make me wince most are not from somewhere else, but my own country. I suspect there are some who want to present our nation in a good light when we travel, and some who are insensitive to the offence they cause by their more ideosyncratic behaviours. It am sure those from the US or anywhere else will be the same. Be yourself, and be a great representative of your country.

I love when tongue-in-check banter remains so....

Nice to know there are still a few of you out there who can get the joke without the aid of emojis and smiley faces, because as everyone knows, Americans often have the best sense of humour of all (but not the driest, that's us).

Nice to know there are still a few of you out there who can get the joke without the aid of emojis and smiley faces, because as everyone knows, Americans often have the best sense of humour of all (but not the driest, that's us).
Sorry, but don't give yourself airs. I am on the side of those who thought it was more rude that arid. If it was meant to be funny, accept that it might have fallen flat!

I had not thought about it but I did not really see many other nationalities drinking Coke very often. The price alone would keep it down. Wine and coffee are about 1/2 the price.
Europeans are more likely to be drinking an orange drink like Kaz.

I'll take wine every day over soda.

I have removed one of the posts because it contains an attack on a particular group of people. If you want to insult your own nation, make it clear that you are attacking yourself, which is fair enough. I think this post was doing that, but that was not stated and the poster's nationality is not obvious. It simply came out as prejudice and generalisations.

I asked for ice in a glass often, to accompany Coca-Cola. Often, I was told, "it's cold". Um, somehow that was never the point--oh well.

I made a photo copy of my passport and walked last fall and carried it with my pilgrim's credentials. I had to show both at every albergue or pension I stayed at. I only showed my original passport at the airports.

Sparrow, please do not even worry about this. Consider yourself checking into a hotel anywhere overseas and follow the same procedure. Just make sure you ALWAYS keep valuable items in a particular location. It's kind of like always wearing your watch (at home) on the same wrist. You know where it is at all times. Buen Camino! You are in for the trip of lifetime...many ups and downs, literally and figuratively!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Elizabeth-o, Thank you for your words of encouragement! So many of us planning our camino are anxious about so many things, it can be hard to just take a deep breath and allow the spirit to guide us.

For national security reasons, Spanish and European police request from all places that house travellers to keep a register and a copy of an ID document. Usually, this is the ID card for Europeans (we have an ID card with a number that identifies us and that we use for nearly everything) and passport for foreigners. There's no danger to hand over your passport for a minute. But if you have a valid ID-card from another country and you prefer to show this document, there shouldn't be any problem. With a copy you may have problems, as public albergues may be instructed to demand originals. Remember that Santiago was on level 5 security alert this summer (=maximum) and authorities are making huge efforts to guarantee general safety. A US identity card should be accepted as it identifies you and makes you traceble, but in case of doubt people at the albergues prefer not to have problems with the police and ask for what they have been instructed to: the original passport.

Thanks all for this thread about passports and ID cards. I think I will take opportunity to take my European ID card instead of passport. UK don't have ID cards, but I have both my Latvian passport and ID card. Now I plan to leave passport at home and fly from UK to Biarritz with ID card and carry it with me along EHIC health card and travel insurance card. All together in one place. Sorted.

Thanks to all for advice where to keep /hide personal documents along the way. Planning the trip as advancing well.
Thanks,
Sol.

I'll take wine every day over soda.

Indeed, it is not an either-or situation. There is the famous Spanish potion, calimatxau (other spellings are around), which is a mix of red wine and coca cola with, if you're being fancy, some slices of lemon. My Spanish friends tell me it is beloved of adolescent Spanish males who, I was told, are extraordinary judges of that which is truly elegant in bars.

€149,-

This is tricky. I feel the credencial is losing importance and that it - to be honest - has no legal significance. In most places along the camino frances (I have walked it twice) they only ask you for the passport which is a standard procedure in hotels and hostels all over the world when the staff assumes you are a foreigner. If you want a stamp in your credencial you will have to ask for one.

. By far, the conversational piece turned out to be this flag:
Ah, that's the one I grew up with! So I'm happy to see it here, Rick. Thanks.
I purposely have no flags on my pack--though if I did it I guess would be one of those.

I'm looking forward to the experience of meeting people from many places. I love that I can converse with Camino friends from all over the world.
It's one of the best things about the Camino, the connection with our common humanity. AND our diversity. All at the same time. From space there are no boundaries but we humans make rather a lot of them--and the wonderful thing about the Camino is that it's a community where those labels are less important. This virtual albergue is a warm-up for that, Eve--you'll have a wonderful time. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
It's one of the changes I've noticed since I first walked the Camino in 2001. When we got our first credentials in the Pilgrim's Office in SJPDP the first page was filled in by the volunteers with for all our details, including full name, nationality, address and ID or passport numbers and validity. From then on, we were never asked to show our passport, the details were simply copied from the front page of the credential. I've noticed that many people do not complete that front page - (they should btw - its very frustrating finding a nearly full credential with no way of tracing the owner) and it would be tedious for the volunteers to have to do it with the numbers now walking. So it is not surprising that increasingly the source documents are required.

to be honest - has no legal significance.
It never has had any legal significance. It attests that you are a pilgrim on a pilgrimage with Christian sentiment. Xunta and parochial albergues require you have one to stay in their albergues. Private albergues set their own policies. Red Albergues have established a policy for all their members, though there is variation.

The Pilgrim’s Credencial or accreditation is the document given to pilgrims in the Middle Ages as a safeguard. Today there is an official Credencial model distributed and accepted by the Office of Pilgrimages of the Diocese of Santiago.
  • The Credencial does not generate any rights to the pilgrim. It has two practical purposes: 1) access to hostels offered by the Christian hospitality of the Way, 2) serve as certification in applying for the “Compostela” at the Cathedral of Santiago, which certifies you have made the pilgrimage.
  • The “Compostela” is only granted to those who make the pilgrimage with Christian sentiment: devotionis affectu, voti vel pietatis causa (motivated by devotion, vote or mercy). And it is only granted to those who make the pilgrimage to reach the Tomb of the Apostle, doing in full at least the last 100 kilometres on foot or horseback, or the last 200 km by bike or 100 nautical miles and last km on foot.

Back