• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shuttles or buses that take cyclists and their bikes

AdaR

Wannabe Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2015 biked CF; 2017 Portuguese by foot, bus, train (injury).
Please don't judge me, but I am just trying to arm myself with plenty of options.
On September 8th, I will leave Pamplona for SdC, on a rented bike; along with my son and his wife, two young, strong cyclists. We are allowing 18 days for the journey, which is a reasonable pace for my fitness level. However, the mountains and plains of Spain may be bigger than me. In my mind, I have been telling myself that I could always catch a bus and meet the young ones in the next town. But is that true?
Are there buses or shuttles that will transport a pilgrim and her bike along the Camino Frances?
I did find an old thread stating that local trains used to accommodate bikes, fully assembled. And buses would take bikes if boxed up. Is that still the case?
Anyone aware of shuttle services that might do this?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
18 days allows plenty of time to cycle Pamplona to SdeC. I did SJPdP to SdeC in 12 days on a loaded touring bike in May.
In Galecia, Monbus transport bikes with the front wheel removed. Alsa, the long distance bus line, will also transport bikes if they are in a bike bag.
I don't know about local bus services in Castile/Leon as I never used them.

Have courage, it's not easy but very doable!

I have taken my fully loaded bike on many trains in Spain and France - usually when mountains loomed! Staff are always helpful - unlike in the UK!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Please don't judge me, but I am just trying to arm myself with plenty of options.
On September 8th, I will leave Pamplona for SdC, on a rented bike; along with my son and his wife, two young, strong cyclists. We are allowing 18 days for the journey, which is a reasonable pace for my fitness level. However, the mountains and plains of Spain may be bigger than me. In my mind, I have been telling myself that I could always catch a bus and meet the young ones in the next town. ?
Hi AdaR I too am an older rider, departing Pamplona around 5th Sep and I have set a goal of taking around 20-22 days (inc rest days at Burgos & Leon) to reach Santiago. Yes the maps indicate there are hills (some are tough climbs - just get off and walk - I will if I have too!). From my research I think that once you reach Burgos you have around 5 or 6 days of easier riding. Yes there are hills after Rabanal (the climb to the Cruz de Ferro) but by then you should be a more "bike fit" to tackle the hills. Buen Camino :);)

Hi AdaR I too am an older rider, departing Pamplona around 5th Sep and I have set a goal of taking around 20-22 days (inc rest days at Burgos & Leon) to reach Santiago. Yes the maps indicate there are hills (some are tough climbs - just get off and walk - I will if I have too!). From my research I think that once you reach Burgos you have around 5 or 6 days of easier riding. Yes there are hills after Rabanal (the climb to the Cruz de Ferro) but by then you should be a more "bike fit" to tackle the hills. Buen Camino :);)
Thanks Saint Mike, for the reassuring words. I am feeling better about the plan to ride, especially since I found no transportation options. Our route includes rests in Burgos, Leon, and a retreat at Monte Irago Monastery in Rabanal. The climb after that has me a bit worried, but we will take it slow, and I will walk when I have to. I am a reasonably strong hiker, so that I can do, though the bike pushing will add a new dimension. Funny, on my recent training rides, I have intentionally pushed my bike up a bit further than I could ride just for the fun of it. Didn't realize what good training it might be.
So our paths may cross. I start on 9/8, aiming to get to Santiago on 9/25 or 9/26.
Will you be posting on the forum enroute?

So our paths may cross. I start on 9/8, aiming to get to Santiago on 9/25 or 9/26.
Will you be posting on the forum enroute?
Hola Ada - yes I hope to post, as and when I have wi-fi. I think I am going to be in Santiago around 21 or 23 and after a day or so push to to Finnisterre and be back in Santiago by 27 or 28. So maybe we can meet up for a Camino meal. Cheers for now; Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My sister and I are in our sixties and also cycling in September. We plan to pack as light as possible, go at a slow steady pace and walk when he need to. After Burgos there is the Monte de Leon and we will give ourselves two days for the ascent....then it's easy to SdC.

I'm quite sure you'll cover all the ground in 18 days but in the event that you do need transport, Alsa buses will take a bike for 10 Euro. They do need to be covered but don't need to be in a bike box or bike bag. Black bin bags taped together are fine. I've seen cyclists do this on Alsa many times.

Hope you're having a great time. Very jealous!

Re bikes on Buses. Did not transport my bike on the bus while doing the Camino, but after reaching SDC went on to Fistera and then Muxia and took the bus back to SDC ( seems to be par for the course at that point I think everybody is ready for the bus!). Was concerned about being able to put the bike on the bus so checked with various sources and all said no problem and even though the bus was full it was not a problem, no bag etc was needed. This was with Mono bus. Also used Monobus later to go to A Coruna and Ponteverdra for side trips while in SDC again no problem until the return journey from Pontevedra. On that leg the bus was pretty full (it was a holiday) and the hold had a fair amout of luggage in it and the driver would not let me transport my bike without it being packaged. After some anguish, talked to someone in the bus station office who came out told me to take the front wheel off and then grabed some cardboad from a dumpster and semi-packaged my bike for me. I was then able thank goodness to get it on the next bus.
Moral of the story: at least for Mono Bus generally no problems putting the bike on the bus, but if its a holdiday or the driver is having a bad day be prepared to have to package the bike up somehow. A roll of packaging tape and a keen eye for hunting out some make shift packaging will help.

I was never charged extra to put the bike on the bus.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back