• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sicilian Camino ?

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018
Good morning fellow pilgrims !

I just arrived home from a trip to Sicily where I climbed Mt. Etna. (Great experience).
While there on the island I stumbled across way markers for the Camino Magna Via Francigena. When I went to Sicily I had no idea there was an established Camino there.:eek:o_O I later did some further research and found this beautiful camino traversing the island.
I would suggest if you are short on time, looking for a scenic and easy camino you might want to check this one out.
This is a beautiful island hiding a secret camino with very nice people and fantastic food !

Buen Camino !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Magna Via Francigena in late April/early May from Palermo on the north coast to Agrigento on the south coast. A 200 km 9 day crossing that has only just been reopened a year ago after centuries sitting dormant. Greek, Roman, Frank and Arab history abounds! It was quite amazing with beautiful green, mountainous landscapes covered with flowers. It was as quiet as the Invierno (though more difficult) with lovely Sicilian villages essentially unchanged for centuries. The food was amazing and the people along the way very kind and supportive. This is an area of Sicilia that sees almost no tourism and is essentially untouched, if you know what I mean. The accommodations are mostly small family run B&B's and our hosts went out of their way to show us their area and towns when we arrived. I've never experienced such hospitality on Camino, except in Japan on the Shikoku 88 Temple Walk. Loved Sicilia!! A refreshing change and I highly recommend to those who like something unique, a bit challenging and fresh.:cool: A new route will be opened next year along the north coastal mountains of Sicilia and I'm already thinking about it! And Bob from LA, it's not an "easy" camino. Short, but more difficult than the Camino Frances and many others. Buon Cammino!!DSC07950.jpg
DSC07924.jpg

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We're going to do this next month; any other resources or POIs please? Mille Grazie!

Just what I need, another camino to dream about. I have spent about 3 weeks on Sicily and absolutely loved every second, so this would be a fabulous walk. Looks like good info on the web, such as http://www.visitsicily.info/en/the-magna-via-francigena/

http://www.magnaviafrancigena.it/tappa/?lang=en

@High Endeavours, since you said 9 stages, I am assuming you followed the "tappas" listed above. Do you have a list of the places you stayed?

What is so appealing about this route is that it absolutely takes you where the tourists just never go. Even with a long visit to Sicily (by car), we essentially did a circle around the coast, popping to the interior on occasion to visit the big attractions like Agrigento, Piazza Armerina, Segesta, baroque towns, etc. But it was always out and back from the coast more or less. This route must just be wonderful! Palermo is one of my all time favorite cities, so if you go, plan to spend at least three or four days there first!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We received a pair of free credentials from the volunteers at the Magna Via Francigena site, donations upon arrival in Palermo next month. Mille Grazie!0817180915~4.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wish that the camino will be everything you wish and hope for.

And selfishly I hope you'll write about your camino in Sicily. Haven't even walked the first camino yet myself, but already put down Sicily on my list ;).

Buon Cammino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wish that the camino will be everything you wish and hope for.

And selfishly I hope you'll write about your camino in Sicily. Haven't even walked the first camino yet myself, but already put down Sicily on my list ;).

Buon Cammino.
Mille Grazie! My wife is our camino/travel blogger: www.USbyus2016.com

:cool: Bookmarked it immediatley!

Will you blog while you're walking or summarize after your pilgrimage?

Wendy usually blogs each night, like last night for our arrival she wrote a short one. Thank you for following along.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are no services, at all, on this cammino. You must carry all food, all water, everything (tho day 1 there was a pannini shop at the sanctuary at mid point/ 12k). There are no restaurants open on Monday in Corleone. There are no restaurants open on Tuesday in Prizzi.

Everyone here is lovely and gracious and thrilled about the prospect of pilgrims coming through. It is extremely affordable compared to Spain and Portugal. The views are breathtaking. Sheep and cows vastly outnumber people. This is a very arduous cammino, no flats, just up one mountain, down the other side, up the next, for 25k each stage. Gorgeous scenery. Just very different from Iberia.0925181209.jpg

Last edited:
When you say services are non-existent ... are there at least shops in each town to stock up on for the next day?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I loved all the gorgeous photos on your blog of your time in Sicily. It truly is a beautiful island (where my grandparents were from), but I was slightly confused as I didn't read anything relating to this being a walking pilgrimage. I was wondering if you walked the route on the map you provided or if you ended up doing the stages by transportation.

So my friends. What do we do when life throws us lemons? Yes - we make lemonade! No camino for me this year so I am going to start planning a new adventure for 2021: the Alps to the Mediterranean [763 miles], and then across Sicily [120 miles - their new camino] with my five Cosa Nostra camino buddies. Just the planning alone will keep me sane - and the thought of such a beautiful hike through the whole length of Italy, ending with a reunion with old friends - marvellous! I hope you all find something that you can focus and hold on to and get through this. Stay safe!

Good for you, Vince! I wish I had your enthusiasm and energy! I plan to keep all my notes, stages and lodging information for my detained Camino and hope to do it in the fall or next spring.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So my friends. What do we do when life throws us lemons? Yes - we make lemonade! No camino for me this year so I am going to start planning a new adventure for 2021: the Alps to the Mediterranean [763 miles], and then across Sicily [120 miles - their new camino] with my five Cosa Nostra camino buddies. Just the planning alone will keep me sane - and the thought of such a beautiful hike through the whole length of Italy, ending with a reunion with old friends - marvellous! I hope you all find something that you can focus and hold on to and get through this. Stay safe!

Now that sounds like an outstanding trip !

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.