• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sick... any suggestions?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Good people... I'm not sure anyone can help but a problem shared and all that...

A few days ago I became sick. I'm not alone, several pilgrims have been ill. We've been told that locals are also going down like flies with a sickness bug.

I've rested up in Salamanca for a couple of days and thought I was better but i was sick again last night... now on day 4. We moved on via the bus today to El Cubo... we just felt like we needed to move on... and Salamanca rooms are scarce over this weekend.

However... we're here and I still feel rubbish. We're thinking of moving on to Zamora tomorrow by bus and resting up there. I hate skipping sections and it feels like ages since we walked... but I feel a bit pants and I'm not really able to eat without nausea.

Any experienced Via folk care to offer suggestions for a plan?

We're on a schedule so each day we stop is a day lost... all thoughts welcome.

:oops:o_O:(

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm so sorry you are ill. I can't advise about which sections to skip, but I can say you should not feel bad about skipping any. Your health is the important thing, and pushing yourself when you are ill will just make things worse. Grandmotherly advice for your care: rest, plenty of clear fluids, no caffeine:eek: or alcohol:eek::eek:...if that goes OK, toast, crackers, bland foods. no dairy except yogurt. If this has been going on for a while, or if you are weak/dizzy, or have a fever or pain, see at least a pharmacist if not a physician. (But I think you know all that) If it were me, I'd look ahead to a city that I'd like to visit, or seems large enough to have medical care/pharmacy, bus/train/taxi there, find a pleasant place to stay, and focus on enjoying the city and resting.
I hope you are better soon

I would suggest to stay in Zamora (there's a hospital in Zamora if you needed it) till you are recovered. Once you are recovered, visit Zamora (it's a nice city) and once you've visited the city, take public transport to wherever you should be according to your planned schedule and continue with the route. If things went really bad and you needed to go back home from Zamora, connections with Madrid are good enough as well as connections with Santiago de Compostela and some others.

Let's hope you are soon healthy enough as to continue walking! Best whishes!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good people... I'm not sure anyone can help but a problem shared and all that...

A few days ago I became sick. I'm not alone, several pilgrims have been ill. We've been told that locals are also going down like flies with a sickness bug.

I've rested up in Salamanca for a couple of days and thought I was better but i was sick again last night... now on day 4. We moved on via the bus today to El Cubo... we just felt like we needed to move on... and Salamanca rooms are scarce over this weekend.

However... we're here and I still feel rubbish. We're thinking of moving on to Zamora tomorrow by bus and resting up there. I hate skipping sections and it feels like ages since we walked... but I feel a bit pants and I'm not really able to eat without nausea.

I'm so sorry you are ill. I can't advise about which sections to skip, but I can say you should not feel bad about skipping any. Your health is the important thing, and pushing yourself when you are ill will just make things worse. Grandmotherly advice for your care: rest, plenty of clear fluids, no caffeine:eek: or alcohol:eek::eek:...if that goes OK, toast, crackers, bland foods. no dairy except yogurt. If this has been going on for a while, or if you are weak/dizzy, or have a fever or pain, see at least a pharmacist if not a physician. (But I think you know all that) If it were me, I'd look ahead to a city that I'd like to visit, or seems large enough to have medical care/pharmacy, bus/train/taxi there, find a pleasant place to stay, and focus on enjoying the city and resting.
I hope you are better soon

Doctor or health centre, rest until better, then bus or train ahead and pick up from there. Alternatively, continue from where you are once you are better, return to finish next holiday. Don't try walking on until you are fit.

As I remember from previous posts about VdlP the stretch between Salamanca and Zamora isn't really interesting. But it's up to people that really walked it to say.
To give my two cents. In case of upset tummy and not exactly knowing what is causing it I would try with enough water intake (added some vitamins and minerals, maybe even SuerOral - powder you can buy in Farmacias - to prevent dehydration), clear beef or chicken soup (enough salts and some fat to keep you going through the day when not walking), yoghurt (probiotic/bioactive?),...
And I would definitely go for orujo blanco shot. One thing my father teached me when he was working in Lybia in 60's. Three shots of the simplest (like no sugar or colour added) brandy/schnaps etc. before each meal does wonders.
Hope you'll get better soon. Camino after Zamora is stunning!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Most sickness bugs don't last more than a few days. Rest your stomach with thin fluids. small volumes frequently initially eg150ml hourly, drunk over 30minutes. You can increase volumes as you respond over 24 hours. If not vomited for 24hrs try a little soup. and if ok move up to toast, crackers etc. Avoid large volumes. Avoid dairy products. If the vomiting returns drop down to fluids again. Avoid greasy and spicy foods. If you are still running a fever see a doctor. From the story it is probably viral. Any blood in diarrhoea see a doctor. If you are up to walking, try 5/6 miles and rest or maybe stop. Repeat the next day. It will pass and you have more resilience than you know. It is not an ego trip, taking the bus is humbly accepting the situation. Contemplate.

I'm normally a very healthy person, but when I've walked the VdlP I've come down with some very nasty stomach bugs. The last time I walked I had three separate bouts. I agree with all the advice given so far, especially that your health is far more important than satisfyingly the need to walk every day. Things will get better with rest and care and you'll be back to walking.

I am sorry to hear this. Have you been able to visit a doctor or discuss your symptoms with a pharmacist? They may be able to recommend ways of obtaining temporary relief from the symptoms that you are suffering. Of course, you might also be told to rest, which might not be great for your schedule, but might be good for you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ok, if it so wide spread (pilgrims and locals) see a doctor and follow his/her advice. Once you feel better, skip ahead and continue walking. Skipping stages by bus (dragging yourself and backpack to bus station, sitting in bus, finding place to stay ect) is NOT resting. Buen Camino and speedy recovery, SY

Thanks for the ideas folks... I really do appreciate it.

At first I thought it was a 24 hour thing so when I started to feel better I thought ... yeah - all good now. Other pilgrims were saying the same so I suspect I rushed things. Last night I was back to square one... posible my own silly fault.

I've been sticking to just liquids today and had some light veg soup for dinner that the lovely albergue owner made for me... to be honest I wanted to say no but she went to so much effort and said it would be good for me... I just hope she's right!

We'll take the bus to Zamora tomorrow and wait it out... as someone said moving around ain't a lot of fun. If I still feel the same way on Monday, I will seek further advice.

I'm really grateful for the ideas... I feel a bit of a whimp and just want to shake it off and I guess Im not doing what i would do at home (ie rest/sleep). I keep thinking I'll be fine... its just not obliging! but i'm glad I asked you all... thanks very much for the help.

If you are in a good and caring albergue - Just stay there! What is the reasoning behind taking the bus to Zamora tomorrow if you are not feeling 100%? Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So sorry that you're sick @LesBrass. I can't offer any advice about the Via de la Plata, but having come down with a similar bug on the Primitivo, I feel your pain! It's horrible being sick on a Camino, especially when recovery is slower than you'd like. I took a rest day (36 hours in bed) and then skipped a stage by taking a taxi to see a doctor in the next place. I needed one more rest day after that, which drove me a bit crazy at the time!

These things take their course, but that's no consolation when you're stuck in bed, feeling disconnected from the Camino and feeling bad for your walking partner. But it will pass and you'll hopefully be walking again very soon.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

PS - I survived on Aquarius (the full sugar version) and Maria biscuits during my sickest days.

If you are in a good and caring albergue - Just stay there! What is the reasoning behind taking the bus to Zamora tomorrow if you are not feeling 100%? Buen Camino, SY
She's meeting someone in Ourense on 31st if I remember correctly from her previous posts. That's why so eager to walk/skip the Via, to be on time.

I was enjoying your occasional posts @LesBrass and am very sorry to hear you are sick. I'd be visiting a hospital or doctor if the symptoms persist and your body does not cure itself - it may be more than a virus or 24 hour bug. You may need treatment of some sort. Take a native Spanish speak with you, if there is one around. Its important for the doctor to get all the information to make a proper diagnosis.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the ideas folks... I really do appreciate it.

At first I thought it was a 24 hour thing so when I started to feel better I thought ... yeah - all good now. Other pilgrims were saying the same so I suspect I rushed things. Last night I was back to square one... posible my own silly fault.

I've been sticking to just liquids today and had some light veg soup for dinner that the lovely albergue owner made for me... to be honest I wanted to say no but she went to so much effort and said it would be good for me... I just hope she's right!

We'll take the bus to Zamora tomorrow and wait it out... as someone said moving around ain't a lot of fun. If I still feel the same way on Monday, I will seek further advice.

I'm really grateful for the ideas... I feel a bit of a whimp and just want to shake it off and I guess Im not doing what i would do at home (ie rest/sleep). I keep thinking I'll be fine... its just not obliging! but i'm glad I asked you all... thanks very much for the help.

Reading this at home, and I feel every inch a whimp with this bug that keeps on returning! Don't blame yourself for rushing it or anything, all is probably due to this particular bug. I was sick last week, got back on my feet and now I'm down again. It took me most of the afternoon to summon courage and energy to go shopping for the weekend. I finally managed, mainly because I have a car.... ;) So as for walking any distance, with or without a backpack, I don't know how you do it and I surely would not manage.
If you are in a nice, quiet place where you have some privacy, please stay there until you have recovered! Bugs don't care about anyone's schedule, nor are they affected by determination or the Camino spirit.

I became sick at the end of my Camino. Chills, fever, d.... and emisis. I had heat exhaustion and an intestinal infection. I finally saw a Doctor in Madrid the two days before my flight home. I was put on three different Meds...bed rest...lots of fluids. I was well enough two days later for my flight home. Another time early in Vigin food poisoning from a bad tortilla. Take care...don't push it if your unwell. See a Doctor...they are truly a friend to the Pilgrims.
Buen Camino

No advice just wanting to send you my sympathy & hope you recover soon.
Suzanne :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most sickness bugs don't last more than a few days. Rest your stomach with thin fluids. small volumes frequently initially eg150ml hourly, drunk over 30minutes. You can increase volumes as you respond over 24 hours. If not vomited for 24hrs try a little soup. and if ok move up to toast, crackers etc. Avoid large volumes. Avoid dairy products. If the vomiting returns drop down to fluids again. Avoid greasy and spicy foods. If you are still running a fever see a doctor. From the story it is probably viral. Any blood in diarrhoea see a doctor. If you are up to walking, try 5/6 miles and rest or maybe stop. Repeat the next day. It will pass and you have more resilience than you know. It is not an ego trip, taking the bus is humbly accepting the situation. Contemplate.
When you are eating little ,you need to replace electrolytes,so put dioralyte or seuroral powder in all your drinks at half the reccomended strength for treating diorrhea,(instructions on packet).

Thanks again for all support and suggestions. I survived the night so a good 12 hours without problem. Had a little toast for breakfast and will wait it out for a few hours here before deciding what to do. I'm tired and feeling a bit beaten up... but certainly better than I have been... although I'll remain cautious as I thought that before.

I will visit the pharmacy... electrolytes would be a good idea. I haven't been drinking a lot so I will keep on top of this today. I also had some gaviscon last night and that really helped with the nausea. I'm really hopeful now that if I'm careful for the next 24 hours maybe I'll be through the worst.... but will heed the advice... we did think yesterday that my eyes were a little yellowish... I wonder now if that was dehydration... they are more normal this morning... fingers crossed I'll be back to rude health asap.

Many thanks again... I'll keep you posted xx

I don't want to frighten you, but if your eyes were "a bit yellowish" go and see a doctor immediately. That isn't a typical sign of dehydration, but of involvement of the liver. I hate to create panic, but it could be a hepatitis, so please!, go and see a doctor ASAP! Buen Camino, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Another 'get yourself to a doctor' plea from me. It's a very simple process for EU residents. If you aren't fluent in Spanish, use google translate (or something similar) to explain your main symptoms. The doctor will take it from there and give you a full examination. Good luck.

Dear folks... what a difference a day makes. I am very pleased to say that the difference now is like night and day. I've not been sick in 24 hours and whilst a bit weary I no longer feel ill... and colour is returning to normal. I've eaten little and often and made sure I stayed hydrated.... I feel so much better and everso slightly relieved.

We'll decide in the morning what action next... see how I feel after a good night's sleep.

THANK YOU all again for words of wisdom... it is great to have such a massive support team.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola @ LesBrass - really great to hear that you maybe on the mend. May I suggest that instead to walking on from current local - take a bus to Zamora and stay there for the night. If all is "well" then you can resume - but do a re-assessment of that schedule. From memory of the guide books there are more places to stay from Zamora westward - virtually none of those 30+ km days. Buen Camino

Saint Mike is right about the places to stay after Zamora, and the alternative transport options are better as well. I'm 3km from the cathedral right now, if you want a stop 20km before Santiago I can recommend bar Rios at Ponte Ulla, cheap, clean, and good food, which you should be ready for by the time you get there.

If your eyes were a bit yellow, that's jaundice. Hepatitis A is the usual food poisoning hepatitis but there are other organisms that can present similarly. It is a notifiable disease though so go to the doc for a blood test. There are normal conditions that can increase bilirubin and cause eg Gilberts syndrome which is harmless but may mean you need caution with some medications. Usually happens when you get sick and dehydrated.
Otherwise from my days long ago of working on a paediatric gastro ward... Electrolytes are good (and Aquarius is isotonic - great excuse!) and you lose Potassium with vomiting and diarrhoea. Fruit is your friends eg bananas. Something starchy with not too much fibre. Boiled potatoes, chicken minus the skin is also good. A good gastro strips the gut somewhat and this tends to affect your ability to process dairy and fat the most. When you do get back to solids, soups and stews are probably your best bet.
I was reading an Australian blog post (Marg from Perth) today and her English friend came down with a similar lurgy. They think she got it at the Hotel Asturias near the Arco de Caparra. So you probably have caught it north of there with probably a 24-48 hour incubation.

I was reading an Australian blog post (Marg from Perth) today and her English friend came down with a similar lurgy. They think she got it at the Hotel Asturias near the Arco de Caparra. So you probably have caught it north of there with probably a 24-48 hour incubation.

:rolleyes: I think I am Maggie's English friend... we're walking together :D

I am feeling good now... thank goodness... but many thanks for the advice (which I hope I won't need)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think that if so many have the same bug it is not Hepatitis A as it has a fairly long incubation period. With Hepatitis A you wouldn't feel like crawling out of bed, never mind walking! Worth having it checked out if things don't improve. Obviously though it could be something similar which has temporarily affected liver function. If it helps keep off greasy food and suck oranges.

Good morning, sorry to hear about the illness. Always remember your A B C - apples, bananas and carrots and looooads of fluids. Don't let the bus rides get you down, rather get better so that you can enjoy the rest of the walk. Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After 16 days of walking (plus another three days to explore Salamanca and Zamora) I've finished my walk on the Vía de la Plata and am now continuing on the Camino Sanabres. If anyone's...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back