• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sick on Camino...on train to Leon

Owensr23

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 CF
2018 CP
4/29/2022 Primitivo
I'm currently on a train heading for Leon. I've been very fatigued for a couple days. Tested negative for covid still would like some medical care. I'm an American so what is the best way for me to see a doctor in Leon.

I booked a hotel for the next two nights.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry to hear you are unwell, but I think you’re in luck heading to Leon.

A few years ago I got very sick in Leon. I was in a lot of pain and the owner of our hotel suggested going directly to the hospital. It’s behind the cathedral. They are very good with pilgrims. One of the first questions they asked - are you a pilgrim? The clothes were a giveaway no doubt. A lady appeared who was a sort of pilgrim liaison person, she spoke many languages. Couldn’t have been more helpful. I was given excellent attention, tests, prescriptions etc.

The lady translating for us also asked about my insurance - in a positive way - and gave all the info I would need to claim for expenses.

Even if you don’t need hospital attention, I’m sure they will help you and point you in the right direction.

Hope you have the same positive experience and a speedy recovery. 🙏

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
PS @Owensr23 on reflection, I hope my memory is serving me well about location behind the Cathedral. Maybe it’s not behind, but it was very nearby. I’m sure someone - or your phone or Office de Tourisme - will point you in the right direction. 😎

Very nearby indeed!

Wish you a quick recovery @Owensr23 !
I stayed in this hotel. Nice if you prefer more luxury and /or privacy.
My room had a view on the cathedral and the clinic.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very nearby indeed!

I had x-rays and stitches at the HM hospital in A Coruña, then had them removed at the HM hospital in Santiago. Both hospitals had an English speaking liason person who was super helpful. I also appreciated being able to pay at time of service and knowing the cost instead of receiving a bill months later. I was given all the forms that I would need to file for reimbursement from my insurance company.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Feel better sweet pilgrim!

I was given all the forms that I would need to file for reimbursement from my insurance company.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I've been wondering about the possibility of getting sick and needing medical care and how to deal with insurance. Did you (or anyone else with the same experience) submit the bills to your private insurance or did you have special travel health insurance? Any issues either way?

The reason I ask is that I leave in two days but have not purchased supplemental health insurance. Not sure if it's too late now, but perhaps I'll look into it if that's the route you went and had a good outcome.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've been wondering about the possibility of getting sick and needing medical care and how to deal with insurance. Did you (or anyone else with the same experience) submit the bills to your private insurance or did you have special travel health insurance? Any issues either way?

The reason I ask is that I leave in two days but have not purchased supplemental health insurance. Not sure if it's too late now, but perhaps I'll look into it if that's the route you went and had a good outcome.
In my case I had medical cover under a travel insurance policy. I paid the bill in Leon with my credit card. The hospital gave me all the paperwork I would need to claim on my insurance. I notified my insurer of brief details of the incident within a day or two - as was required by the policy. And that I would be making a claim. And I did that some weeks later. If you are claiming for something that’s covered by the policy, and you use a reputable insurer, it should be straightforward. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I filed a claim with my regular health insurance, which paid most of it, then submitted a claim for the balance with my travel insurance who paid the rest. It's not too late to buy travel insurance. I got a good plan with AXA through Squaremouth.com.

Very nearby indeed!

I must have been reading your mind. After arriving in Leon I went to the hospital you recommend. I had tests and got needed prescriptions. I also booked rooms in the motel you recommended. My room has a view of the hospital and the cathedral.

Great minds think alike.
My US insurance will pick up the charges

20220504_172720.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good luck! Always a bit grim getting sick
overseas. Feels worse than at home! Spain has top notch facilities and hotels. Often a case of resting but keep professionals close at hand!

are you generally and usually in good health? If yes, then don't worry....you will be fine.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very nearby indeed!

I can second this recommendation.. view from my balcony to my surprise was the Emergency Dept entrance will hidden in the ancient city wall

Attachments

• FF0C6EE3-C554-4D97-BD0C-756932BD16C2.jpeg
    FF0C6EE3-C554-4D97-BD0C-756932BD16C2.jpeg
    938.1 KB · Views: 18
I agree, the hospital near the cathedral was amazing. (I'm not sure if it is HM?)
I was travelling with a friend who became sick and spent 3 days there. They were very friendly and helpful. Using her insurance was a breeze and she was in a room that had opening windows and 2 beds. They offered me a bed to stay with her :)

I STRONGLY encourage you to get travel insurance!! I used mine in Burgos in 2019. I had to pay bills up front at the hospital but it was easy to get reimbursed once I was home.
By contrast - a friend’s mother travelled to Spain earlier this year. She did not buy trip insurance and fell very ill while visiting her son. Had 3 surgeries over a few weeks, and ultimately died in the hospital. Now her family is struggling to pay the bills for the hospital stay, surgeries, etc. Turned a terrible situation into an even worse one with a lasting financial impact on the family.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.