• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sickness cutting the walk short

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Today would have been our 46th day walking. Those who follow us on the Camino live know that we only go about 16-18 km per day. Most of last night and into this morning Phil has been violently ill. I am suspecting a serving of fish he had for supper. I will go to the pharmacy when it opens to see if I can get an anti-emetic and something for the diarrhea. In the meantime we are just a few days walk from Santiago so I may take him there for treatment if he does not get better. We are in any case ending the walking. Will take a cab to our next point later this morning and will see how things go from there, but he'll be in no shape to walk for a few days. He weakly tried to protest, but he can barely stand and gave in after one sentence. Will still go to Santiago, but won't get the compostella this time. Things happen...We've had a wonderful time and can come back to finish another year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Let's hope the pharmacy has something that will restore Phil's health very quickly.
An almost completed Camino is better than one never attempted and as you say, you can always return and complete your Camino another time.
Best wishes

Today would have been our 46th day walking. Those who follow us on the Camino live know that we only go about 16-18 km per day. Most of last night and into this morning Phil has been violently ill. I am suspecting a serving of fish he had for supper. I will go to the pharmacy when it opens to see if I can get an anti-emetic and something for the diarrhea. In the meantime we are just a few days walk from Santiago so I may take him there for treatment if he does not get better. We are in any case ending the walking. Will take a cab to our next point later this morning and will see how things go from there, but he'll be in no shape to walk for a few days. He weakly tried to protest, but he can barely stand and gave in after one sentence. Will still go to Santiago, but won't get the compostella this time. Things happen...We've had a wonderful time and can come back to finish another year.

All my sympathy for you both and healthy recovery.

No Compostela maybe but if you want you can ask for the Certificad de Distancia....Really something to consider.
http://www.catedraldesantiago.es/en/node/492

Ultreia!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
... I will go to the pharmacy when it opens to see if I can get an anti-emetic and something for the diarrhea. ...

Sorry to hear that and wishing speedy recovery. Just a quick word of caution. Stopping the body to get rid of what made him ill isn't a good idea, try to get some of these re-hydration sachets (salts and minerals) in the pharmacy and if symptoms last longer then 24 hours and/or get worse, call a doctor. Buen Camino and again Speedy Recovery! SY

Thanks all for the well wishes. The woman at the bar spoke German so was able to tell me that one of the three Pharmacies would be open for emergencies. I knew my German would come in handy!

I went to the pharmacy with the flashing green cross and did a pantomime with the pharmacist through his office window. Got all supplies and back to the hotel room.

We'll let something take effect and pack up to be on our way to Arzua where we have a reservation.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
So sorry to hear that - wishing your husband a very speedy recovery.

And well done on completing 45 days of walking! Glad that you both had a wonderful time and I hope you enjoy your time in Santiago.

lets hope that it is only a 24hrs bug...all the very and well done tor the 45 days of walking...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@J Willhaus Sorry to hear about what happened to your husband. May he be well soon.

You may not have a Compostela to proof your achievement but you know what, you both walked the Camino. That truth, neither the paper nor illness can take away from both of you. Buen Camino.

Update:
We took a cab to Arzua. I had made a reservation at the Hotel Suiza yesterday because it was on the far edge of town and would give us a kick start for Day 47.

We were allowed to check in early because Phil looked so bad. The owner kept apologizing for the small room and offered to move us later when a bigger room was clean. Phil climbed into bed and has been asleep now for 3 hours. Stomach symptoms have abated for now and he managed to drink part of a bottle of rehydration mix. He wanted something with fizz so he also drank part of a 7 up.

Looking now at ways to get into Santiago tomorrow. Our hotel there seems to have plenty of rooms. Will think about the bus to Muxia and Finister since we will have a bit more time now.

@J Willhaus

Hi So sorry re your husband being poorly... here's wishing hime a speedy recovery.. As the others said, very well done to both of you on your 45 days of walking!!

Buen Camino and best wishes! x

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When my girlfriend had the same problem on our 2014 Camino, she was able to settle her stomach problems by drinking a mixture of half water and half fresh orange juice with a tea spoon of salt. With two days of rest in a nice quiet Hotel, that drink allowed us to continue our Camino on to Santiago.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The body dictates, doesn't it? I ran into people on both times I walked the Camino who had to cut things short due to health issues.

I am so relieved that you are a nursing professor and know exactly what to do. You must be such a comfort to your husband.

When my girlfriend had the same problem on our 2014 Camino, she was able to settle her stomach problems by drinking a mixture of half water and half fresh orange juice with a tea spoon of salt. With two days of rest in a nice quiet Hotel, that drink allowed us to continue our Camino on to Santiago.

JP,
The hotel owner's wife made Phil a slurry of fresh apples, lemon, water, and just a tiny bit of sugar. What a lovely couple and so concerned. He's taken a little of the Apple mixture and drank a bit more rehydration mix. He seems to have a mild fever. He's slept most of the day. I was trying to get him on a BRAT diet but they had no bananas. Toast and rice did not sound good to him so for now the Apple slurry will be enough. He is able to chat a little about possible plans tomorrow. The bus to Santiago goes through town about 6 times a day on Saturday. If he is up to it, I'll change our Santiago hotel reservations and we'll go in tomorrow. I have checked and they appear to have plenty of rooms.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, just wondering if it happened to be at the restaurant adjacent to the Albergue de Caminantes because in October of 2014, we stayed at the Albergue (nice Albergue) and ate at the restaurant. My friend had the fish and became violently ill during the night.
Linda

You have my complete empathy. I came down with severe GI issues a few days from Santiago also. It was incredibly frustrating to be so close and get sick. It started in Palas del Rei - I had a bad night of it, but nothing terribly severe, so I thought I had just eaten something bad and gotten rid of whatever it was. I decided I could walk that day - we'd just see how it went, but I think we only made it about 5km before I was done. We took a taxi to Melide and holed up in a hotel there for 2 nights to recover. Then we continued on from there, made a short day into Arzua and got to Santiago in another couple days.

Such an unfortunate turn of events, @J Willhaus--I'm sorry that this has happened, so close to Santiago. But it doesn't take anything away from what you've done so far. Kudos!
I'm not a medical professional but because I live a lot in SE Asia, I've had lots of experience with all manner of GI bugs. Once the worst is over, it always surprises me how quickly I can go from not being able to stand the thought of food to being ravenous--and from being as weak as a kitten to being on my feet again. 24 hours can make a huge difference. So hopefully once the two of you get to Santiago, Phil will be more his normal self again.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So so sorry to hear as it was on that final stage in 2013 that my body finally gave up, went to the hospital at Azura who quickly put me in a cab straight to the hospital at Santiago de Compestela where I was layed up for 8 days with Chronic renal failure, but the doctors and nurses were great. I was lucky and for my effort as I was walking ill from the Messeta till I could go no further (silly me) but I was awarded a Compestela because sometimes its the effort that is the prize, so don't give up hope God moves in funny ways sometime. Went back in 2014 and back again this Sept. Buen Camino keep safe.

Hi, just wondering if it happened to be at the restaurant adjacent to the Albergue de Caminantes because in October of 2014, we stayed at the Albergue (nice Albergue) and ate at the restaurant. My friend had the fish and became violently ill during the night.
Linda
I sympathize with anyone who suffers from gastrointestinal upset on the Camino, particularly when it is so severe that one cannot continue. But please be cautious about suggesting a particular establishment might have been the cause just because it was the last place that one ate. Symptoms may take 24-48 hours to develop. If you didn't go to a medical centre or the like and provide a stool sample for testing so that authorities could trace the source of this, you really have no idea where it came from.

And while I cannot comment on the case of your friend, I would observe that many simple hygiene measures like hand washing before food consumption after walking in agricultural areas don't seem to be widely observed on the Camino. I'm as guilty as others, even though I do carry a small bottle of hand santizer.

Linda
No, it at the restaurant with the Hostel Sony.

I sympathize with anyone who suffers from gastrointestinal upset on the Camino, particularly when it is so severe that one cannot continue. But please be cautious about suggesting a particular establishment might have been the cause just because it was the last place that one ate. Symptoms may take 24-48 hours to develop. If you didn't go to a medical centre or the like and provide a stool sample for testing so that authorities could trace the source of this, you really have no idea where it came from.

And while I cannot comment on the case of your friend, I would observe that many simple hygiene measures like hand washing before food consumption after walking in agricultural areas don't seem to be widely observed on the Camino. I'm as guilty as others, even though I do carry a small bottle of hand santizer.

Thanks for the reminder. As a nurse I've been appalled at the general lack of sanitation supplies in bathrooms etc. I also carry hand sanitizer. The people at Hostel Sony were very nice. I don't blame them for what happened. I do think this was just an unfortunate incident. Phil is improved and thinking of having some toast for breakfast. He slept most of the last 24 hours. I did not realize how nearly sick I was myself. Had a sore throat for several days and enjoyed resting while he slept.

We're off to Santiago this morning on the bus. Will try to get to the sea Monday and Tuesday. We have no disappointment in the turn of events other than the discomfort of illness. I'm sure we'll be back to finish in coming years. I had thought a 50 day Camino would give us plenty of time and it did, but 45 days is a long time to live out of a backpack. I don't think I would choose such a long route in the future.

But please be cautious about suggesting a particular establishment
However...

On one arrival in Santiago, a fellow pilgrim greeted us in Praza Obradoiro with "did you get sick after eating the eggs yesterday?" The answer was "yes!" That pilgrim had admired my walking partner's sunny-side up eggs and ordered them. My companion had started throwing up violently an hour after the meal, and we stopped at the next accommodation so he could rest, rehydrate, and recover. Fortunately, it was just a day out of Santiago, so he was able to stumble along the next day. I called the restaurant and told them the story. I do not know what they did about it. On very rare occasions, it is possible to confirm food poisoning, and this was one of them. Even with nearly certain knowledge of the source, I will not name the restaurant because I have eaten there a half-dozen times and know it to be a well-run facility. It is hard to know when a batch of eggs is contaminated, so it probably is wisest not to eat the nearly raw eggs of Spain! It is as much a pilgrim responsibility as it is a restaurant responsibility.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think in general food poisoning takes between 2 - 8 hours to manifest. The most common culprits are e. Coli, salmonella, and staph aureus. We spoke to another pilgrim here who also became very ill in Melide and lost 2 days travel. Phil is still not 100 percent. He is resting now after standing through the pilgrim mass. He took some toast this morning along with some Apple puree and a cup of hot tea.

I am a little disappointed at the whole spectacle of the square with all the tourist shops, etc. We did see the two women that I commented on in another post under crime on the Camino. The were less successful today at pulling off the deaf/mute gig and were getting no takers just outside the cathedral. I was surprised with the police station so near that they had not been already chased off.

I had a friend who arrived by bus who made a similar comment about Santiago, but I think it feels very differently when you walk into the city. Do take the time to visit the food market in the early morning, and I recommend a tour of the roof of the Cathedral - it gives a very different perspective and you see the building as it was originally.

The body dictates, doesn't it? I ran into people on both times I walked the Camino who had to cut things short due to health issues.

I am so relieved that you are a nursing professor and know exactly what to do. You must be such a comfort to your husband.
She is a comfort to me. Today I had my first solid food.

The Camino has been a strengthening experience for me. Although we cut it short, we will be back to complete it another time.

Phil

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We are in any case ending the walking. Will take a cab to our next point later this morning and will see how things go from there, but he'll be in no shape to walk for a few days. He weakly tried to protest, but he can barely stand and gave in after one sentence. Will still go to Santiago, but won't get the compostella this time. Things happen...We've had a wonderful time and can come back to finish another year.

I had a similar experience except it was my ankle which finally packed it in. The most disappointing part was seeing the expression on the other people's faces we had been sort of walking with. They seemed astonished (and felt empathetic) when I told them in Santiago - "I didn't make make it."

I looked at it this way. I was grateful to have experienced such a great experience and see Spain in way that was not possible otherwise. To me - the compostela is a piece of paper and symbolizes the experience. I am not worried or bothered by not having a piece of paper when in fact I did experience it. Nor will I let this prevent me from doing it again.

Finally it took almost 18 months of therapy to recover. I regretted not stopping sooner and dealing with it.

This was a long winded post saying that I think you are wise to come back and deal with your health first.

Buen Camino!

Mark

All my sympathy for you both and healthy recovery.

No Compostela maybe but if you want you can ask for the Certificad de Distancia....Really something to consider.
http://www.catedraldesantiago.es/en/node/492

Ultreia!
Just a short epilogue to the story. Yesterday we were stopped by pilgrims asking the way to the pilgrim office. We had not thought to find it as we did not qualify for a compostella.

We decided to better help others we should know the location. When we arrived the line was short and there was a large sign advertising the certificate of distance in several languages. We decided to wait in line and ask about it.

Standing there with all the pilgrims waiting we felt so humbled by their accomplishment. All walking with a limp or resting against a wall, etc. When it was our turn we sheepishly asked about the certificate of distance. The young man took our passports, looked at them, and asked pointedly why we had stopped walking at Melide. We told him briefly of Phil's illness and he said "Well of course you will both also receive a compostella!" We stood there dumbfounded and Phil asked why. The young man simply said "because you have walked" and referred to our passports.

We went immediately to the chapel to pray feeling humbled and unworthy of this unexpected gift. Today we are off to Muxia by bus for two more days rest before going home. Thank you SabineP for this suggestion.

With the right intent (and a little help), all things are possible... humbled by the Compostela, yes, but certainly worthy - both of you.

(I know, I know.. there are rules but...)

Because you have walked... a simple phrase yet now with so much more meaning...

Go Well

Just a short epilogue to the story. Yesterday we were stopped by pilgrims asking the way to the pilgrim office. We had not thought to find it as we did not qualify for a compostella.

We decided to better help others we should know the location. When we arrived the line was short and there was a large sign advertising the certificate of distance in several languages. We decided to wait in line and ask about it.

Standing there with all the pilgrims waiting we felt so humbled by their accomplishment. All walking with a limp or resting against a wall, etc. When it was our turn we sheepishly asked about the certificate of distance. The young man took our passports, looked at them, and asked pointedly why we had stopped walking at Melide. We told him briefly of Phil's illness and he said "Well of course you will both also receive a compostella!" We stood there dumbfounded and Phil asked why. The young man simply said "because you have walked" and referred to our passports.

We went immediately to the chapel to pray feeling humbled and unworthy of this unexpected gift. Today we are off to Muxia by bus for two more days rest before going home. Thank you SabineP for this suggestion.

Something similar happened to me in 2012, after I stopped walking in Melide (then continued from Santiago to the coast). It taught me new lessons about grace and humility, and also that when you're aligned with your heart and your intention is true, sometimes rules don't matter so much. I'd given it up to the universe to decide, then completely let go of expectations and outcome. It reminded me of the saying that sometimes it's permissible to follow the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law (I knew how many hundreds of kilometres I'd already walked, and my pilgrim passport reflected that). I'm thankful you were blessed in this way also! And you have two days in Muxia as well! Wow, well done! :)

Rachel

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are in Muxia now at Bela Muxia. Wonderful restful place. About 1 percent of the Camino traffic or less. Lovely quiet place unhurried and tranquil.

I loved it at Bela Muxia, so friendly and welcoming and peaceful! And I collected all three of their stamps in my passport. :)

@J Willhaus

Wowwww.....! So happy for you that you both managed to get the Compostela! You both so deserve to too.....! Well done, and best wishes for the rest of the Camino journey and beyond!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
"Well of course you will both also receive a compostella!" We stood there dumbfounded and Phil asked why. The young man simply said "because you have walked" and referred to our passports.

We went immediately to the chapel to pray feeling humbled and unworthy of this unexpected gift.
My eyes got damp when I read this post--it's a joy to read, thank you @Jillhaus.
And unworthy?? Hardly. The volunteer at the Pilgrims' Office was so right.
Best wishes to you both!

Last edited:
I had a friend who arrived by bus who made a similar comment about Santiago, but I think it feels very differently when you walk into the city. Do take the time to visit the food market in the early morning, and I recommend a tour of the roof of the Cathedral - it gives a very different perspective and you see the building as it was originally.
I took part of your recommendation and took the roof tour. It was wonderful. Our guide was great in explaining the history of the cathedral that was really visible from the roof as well as the local area around the church. Later we walked further from the cathedral and the atmosphere did change. Thanks for your recommendation.
Phil

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
She is a comfort to me. Today I had my first solid food. The Camino has been a strengthening experience for me. Although we cut it short, we will be back to complete it another time. Phil
Hola Phil glad to see you are (virtually) up and about. Now come clean - you were actually trying to lose weight, but rather over did it (a little). Cheers for now.:):):)

So glad to hear as I said in my previous post to your problem, do not give up as God does work in funny ways. I am so glad for you.

Hola Phil glad to see you are (virtually) up and about. Now come clean - you were actually trying to lose weight, but rather over did it (a little). Cheers for now.:):):)
Well I had hoped to lose a bit but the large pilgrim meals, a bit of wine, and of course the cold beer after a long walk, I had to do something. Just wish there was an easier way. I don't recommend this form of dieting for weight loss. I'm still am not 100%.
Phil

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I must say my tears welled when you were able to get your compestella's. There is much genuine compassion. It is also nice to see you are from the same neck of the woods..
Keith

I'm so sorry for your camino being interrupted by illness. But I'm glad that you are now better and have received your well deserved compostelas.

Congratulations.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back