• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Side Trip: Best Route/Method to Gaztelugatxe

FSP

Time of past OR future Camino
CF-2013
CP-2016
Fin-2016
Norte-2018
Muxia-2018
I start the norte in September and want to take time to make a side trip to see Gaztelugatxe. It is too far off the official route and I think the alternate routes to incorporate it into my walk. Is it best visited from Gernika or Bilbao, or another typical stopping point. Would you recommend a bus, tour or a cab to get there. I'd like the flexibility to avoid the crowded times of day if that is likely that month.
Thank you,
Frank

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is an hourly bus from Gernika to Lamera https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Guernica-Basque-Country-Spain/Gaztelugatxe, and a bi-hourly bus from Bilbao to Bentalde https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Bilbao/Gaztelugatxe. From either you have the options of walking or finding a local taxi.

I would recommend walking from Gernika and continuing along the coastal route to Bilbao which will take about three to four days depending on your pace and obviously is influenced by how time-bound you are for your camino. The 'rest-day' bus-trips from either point are the viable alternatives. Avoiding the crowds? You would need to avoid week-ends and check the Cruise-ship docking schedules for Bilbao.

Happy planning

It is worth the trip which ever route you take, enjoy!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.