• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Side trip to Marqués de Riscal

Margaret Butterworth

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
Earlier this year there was some discussion about visiting the Marques de Riscal winery at Elciego, north of Logrono. I made this side trip in September and can now pass on this useful information. I left Logrono on a 10.00 am bus from the bus station. The fare was 1.6 Euros. I reached Elciego, after a wonderful scenic drive, in plenty of time for a tour of the winery in English at 12.00 pm which cost 12.00 Euros for 1.5 hours, including a film of their operations and views of the outside of the Gehry-designed hotel. We tasted 3 of their wines afterwards, but I still prefer their entry-level "Proximo" which I buy in Australia all the time! Next day, I walked to Laguardia - 6kms uphill - and stayed in this very interesting town, popular with tourists with cars. I took a bus back to Logrono the following morning at 10.20 am. There are more buses to and from Laguardia than Elciego. It was a very relaxing weekend away from the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for your detailed report. Lots of good information, and especially gives those of us who repeat the same Camino something new to check out next time around!

I had hoped to visit Marques de Riscal and also Campo Viejo in Logrono. However I walked into Logrono the day their yearly wine festival began. People from all over Spain were there. You are picturing people daintily tasting fine wines in bodegas? No, it was thousands of people in their 20s drinking wine mixed with Coca Cola, throwing up in the street and squatting to piss in the gutters. I got the very last bed (number 80) in the municipal albergue. I believe the private albergues were renting to tourists coming to the festival? Later I talked to pilgrims who tried taking a taxi to the next towns, but they were all booked up, too. Quite the party. I postponed my winery crawl till next Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you want to do a side trip to La Rioja wineries I HIGHLY recommend the town of Haro and the Bodegas Lopez Heredia and Bodegas Muga. You won't regret it!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.