• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Side trip: wine tasting at Marqués de Riscal

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
I'm starting the Camino from Pamplona on Sept. 12th. When I reach Logroño, I plan to take a taxi (or hitch a ride) to the small town of Elciego about 25 k. to the northwest to do a tour and wine tasting at the Marqués de Riscal bodega. http://www.marquesderiscal.com/indexeng.php
I like their wines and it's one of the oldest wineries in Rioja. Also will have the opportunity to check out the amazingly unique hotel designed by architect Frank Gehry. I saw it from a distance from somewhere last time I was on the Camino and had no idea what it was, situated in a very small, modest village. Won't be staying there for $500 a night, though.
Has anyone else here been there?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yes. But on our regular holidays. To be recommended. And also to visit the winery, no hotel.

I visited there once a couple of years ago, the design is a bit like a smaller version of the Guggenheim in Bilbao. The hotel has a terrace overlooking the countryside where you can have lunch or a glass of their wine. Hope you are able to go!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In Logrono I was able to wine taste within fifty meters of my hostal! In Spain you never have to go far to find wine or pig products...:)

The oldest vines in Spain are said to be near Cacabelos -- Mencia vines producing for nearly 500 years. I asked for a Mencia bar pour in a bar in Cacabelos and was kindly informed that it was my only choice, though they had several different bottles.

In Logrono I was able to wine taste within fifty meters of my hostal! In Spain you never have to go far to find wine or pig products...:)

The oldest vines in Spain are said to be near Cacabelos -- Mencia vines producing for nearly 500 years. I asked for a Mencia bar pour in a bar in Cacabelos and was kindly informed that it was my only choice, though they had several different bottles.

Oh yes, you can taste wine other places. But I want to see the actual bodega. Like a different kind of pilgrimage :) From Google Earth, it looks like the vineyards go on forever outside this little town.

It's a beautiful building! We were there just vacationing several/many years ago and had a fantastic lunch up in one of the restaurants. (I want to say something like 65E fixed price menu with like 6 courses. Definitely a splurge!) After the meal they invited us to retire to a lounge upstairs (I'm remembering it as almost a library with big comfortable leather chairs and sofas) with gorgeous views to enjoy our coffee (or was it a digestif?!). Afterwards, we went down to the bodega and didn't do a tasting, just looked around the shop and bought a bottle of wine. I had just started collecting wooden wine boxes (the ones that hold 3 bottles) so I asked about buying one and they just gave one to me. How lovely they were! Hope you enjoy the visit - it's a one of a kind place, for sure!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am very keen to do this myself, so please post all info! We drink a lot of their "Proximo" wine on a weekly basis: a bargain from Dan Murphy here in Perth.

I'm starting the Camino from Pamplona on Sept. 12th. When I reach Logroño, I plan to take a taxi (or hitch a ride) to the small town of Elciego about 25 k. to the northwest to do a tour and wine tasting at the Marqués de Riscal bodega. http://www.marquesderiscal.com/indexeng.php
I like their wines and it's one of the oldest wineries in Rioja. Also will have the opportunity to check out the amazingly unique hotel designed by architect Frank Gehry. I saw it from a distance from somewhere last time I was on the Camino and had no idea what it was, situated in a very small, modest village. Won't be staying there for $500 a night, though.

I'm totally jealous. There is nothing quite like seeing the bodega and tasting the wine in situ. It is likely you will be able to taste vintages and reservas not available in local bars in the Barrio. Enjoy. Que aproveche!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have not been yet but it's up there on my to do list. You can get a look inside the cellars if you look at a TV series Called Spectacular Spain presented by Alex Polizzi season 1 episode 1 on You Tube
Alan

Also featured in this episode is a segment about tapas in Logrono, especially on Calle Laurel or "elephant walk". Previously, I had always walked straight through Logrono but next time I'll be spending more time there! Thanks, Alan, for recommending this series.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Also featured in this episode is a segment about tapas in Logrono, especially on Calle Laurel or "elephant walk". Previously, I had always walked straight through Logrono but next time I'll be spending more time there! Thanks, Alan, for recommending this series.
Yes Margaret definitely worth spending some time on Calle Laurel ( La Trumpa ) it was the highlight of Logrona for me absolutely amazing Pintxos / Tapas and really decent wine just two of the many I had
Alan

Attachments

• IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
I hope the lady in that TV show isn't there. How annoying!
Oh, and while in Logrono, I will also visit the Campo Viejo winery (my house brand)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes I have and had lunch there which was wonderful! You can take a cab, about 25-30 euros per trip, about 20 mins ride. Booking recommended.

IMG_4178.JPG I'll add- make a reservation, and don't just go wandering around. On a non-Camino trip we were driving from Barcelona to Haro saw the building from the road and decided to stop. Wandered the gardens for a bit and at some point ended up in "working" area (see above photo). We had one of those "hmm, this doesn't seem right" moments, and as we were trying to make our way back out security came by to make sure we were doing just that.

But it is a unique building in lovely setting.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the suggestions! I hope to see several wineries I didn't see last time, and also that wine museum. Last year I came upon a very interesting small wine museum in the Bierzo region that was on the Camino. I stopped at a couple of bodegas for wine tasting and found that the trekking pole loop on the outside of my Osprey pack was also perfect for carrying a wine glass for tastings and the slanted side pocket fits a bottle of wine.

Attachments

• bierzo.jpg
    bierzo.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1
found that the trekking pole loop on the outside of my Osprey pack was also perfect for carrying a wine glass for tastings and the slanted side pocket fits a bottle of wine.

@JillGat I like your style!! That's my kind of camino!! :D:D:D I do have a set of plastic wine glasses that would totally work dangling from my pack!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@JillGat I like your style!! That's my kind of camino!! :D:D:D I do have a set of plastic wine glasses that would totally work dangling from my pack!

Yes, I just bought one of those plastic wine glasses that is very realistic and doesn't negatively affect my snooty, snobby wine-drinking experience as much as a plastic coffee cup does. It may be a hassle and it's possible I will abandon it, but I am going to bring it. I hate having crap tied to the outside of my pack, but I kind of like the look of this accessory.

I'm also bringing a very lightweight wine preservation bladder, made by Platypus. Last year I found that it is much cheaper to buy a bottle of wine (you can often get good wine for $4EU a bottle) than to buy individual glasses of wine in cafes. But, believe it or not, sometimes there isn't someone there to help me finish the bottle and I can't drink a whole bottle myself (I mean, I *could*, but not and walk 15 miles the next day). I hate to waste it and so there may be times when I want to save some for later.

@JillGat Looks like the perfect accessory to me! The wine in Spain is so wonderful - love your idea of the wine bladder. Perfect for a picnic lunch with last night's leftover wine. Love it!! "Con pan y vino se anda el camino!". Cheers!!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.