• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Side trips and thoughts of campgrounds in Hondaribia and San Sebastian

Abigail Kelly

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago/Fis/Muxia 2017
A Coruna/Santiago 2017
Portuguese Coastal/Variante Espiritual 2019
Hi just a quick few questions and your thoughts, please :) Has anyone done an overnight trip to either Mundaka from Guernica and Lekeitio from Deba? I will have a bit of extra time so would like to stop and smell the roses along the way:) I think there is a campsite in Lekeitio as it's quite expensive there. Also, has anyone camped on the campgrounds in Hondarribia or San Sebastian? Suggestion really welcome. Thank you so much

Abi

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, I wish I could help with the camping questions, but I did want to say that I remember Lekeitio as a pretty fishing village. I realize that a lot has undoubtedly changed since I was there with my family in 1994 (!) but at that time there were little shacks lined up along the fishing port with grills going. Each one had one or two picnic tables. A fisherman would bring in a fish, the attendant would slap it on the grill, wine would be served up and down the table and we’d all enjoy the delicious result. There were also some big refrigerated trucks waiting at the docks — when a boat came in, the fish went straight to the truck and off it went to Madrid, where it would be served in a restaurant that night or sold in the market the next morning. At least that’s what they told me. Ah, the nostalgia of it all!

ANYWAY… I don’t know Mundaka, but I think you would enjoy Lekeitio.

We stayed in Mundaka on a regular holiday.
I only remember the place because during high season we seemed the only two odd ones out not having a tanned body and a surfboard...😉🤭
Foodprices of course always very reasonable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, I wish I could help with the camping questions, but I did want to say that I remember Lekeitio as a pretty fishing village. I realize that a lot has undoubtedly changed since I was there with my family in 1994 (!) but at that time there were little shacks lined up along the fishing port with grills going. Each one had one or two picnic tables. A fisherman would bring in a fish, the attendant would slap it on the grill, wine would be served up and down the table and we’d all enjoy the delicious result. There were also some big refrigerated trucks waiting at the docks — when a boat came in, the fish went straight to the truck and off it went to Madrid, where it would be served in a restaurant that night or sold in the market the next morning. At least that’s what they told me. Ah, the nostalgia of it all!

ANYWAY… I don’t know Mundaka, but I think you would enjoy Lekeitio.
I think I will have to go to Lekeitio now as I seem to have stirred a nice memory there :) Thank you for that.

There are two campsites near Lekeitio, but neither of them very close to the village, both up a big hill (and the road can be quite busy). I have stayed in one of them a few years ago, but with car and large frame tent. It was nice, with a fantastic sea view! But unless they advertise a hiker/cyclist tariff, Spanish campsites can work out quite expensive.
Lekeitio is a special village, with a pretty island in the bay. It had bus services to and from Guernika, I remember.
Enjoy your trip!

There are two campsites near Lekeitio, but neither of them very close to the village, both up a big hill (and the road can be quite busy). I have stayed in one of them a few years ago, but with car and large frame tent. It was nice, with a fantastic sea view! But unless they advertise a hiker/cyclist tariff, Spanish campsites can work out quite expensive.
Lekeitio is a special village, with a pretty island in the bay. It had bus services to and from Guernika, I remember.
Enjoy your trip!
Thank you for that info I will check out the campsite there to get a better feel.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.