Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Side trips or detours

Davisinlp

Past OR future Camino
May 2016
I will start my walk on May 13th, which of the alternate routes on the camino Frances are the ones that should not be missed?

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Magnets
A

Anemone del Camino

None, unless you see posts for them as you walk, then all. They will only be a few 100s meters away. Anything further is gping to be quite a burden on your feetees.

Camino Magnets
Camino walkers love this gripping, intriguing, mystery with history novel.
Past OR future Camino
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
Heading into Burgos, shortly after crossing the AP-1, Brierley presents an option. We took the paved route going past the airport (Brieley's grey route) and stayed at the Hotel Buenos Aires in Villafria and used the bus that stops right there to visit the city for an afternoon and the next day. In the long run this kept us off lots more pavement and uninteresting walks. When we continued our camino we walked back from the hotel for about 45 minutes to the optional spot of the day before and then took the Brieley yellow route to Castanares and from there took Brierley's green route across the Rio Arianzon. We then followed the river along its south bank past Burgos until it met up with the camino again at Puente Malatos. We then stayed at Hotel Puerta Romeros just beyond. It is at the spot where in the movie "The Way" the kid hands Martin Sheen his pack.

From Leon to La Virgen was unenjoyable but I really liked the walk from there to Vilar de Mazarife (Brierley's green route.)

Peg and I are backpackers and enjoyed the hill route (Brierley's green route) out of Villafranca del Bierzo despite the added work of the ascent and descent. The weather was good though with no wind or heat either. It had nice views and part of it goes through chestnut groves. This is the hill route (Ruta Pradela) to the north of the marked camino, not the one to the south (Brierley's purple route.) Carry extra water.

ELHS220

Past OR future Camino
Francés - 2015, 2017
Norte (Oviedo Costa) - 2018
Finisterre/Muxía - 2018
Norte - (2019)
Beware Brierley's recommended route out of Villafranca del Bierzo. That is one heck of a climb. The road route is no-where near as trafficked as the good man implies.
I took that high road and rate it a "bummer." Other than a nice view of Villafranca at the very beginning, it was very desolate with little to see. I didn't come face to face with anyone else. I also ran out of water. There is NOTHING!

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino walkers love this gripping, intriguing, mystery with history novel.

ERICAST

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2013)
Camino Frances (April 2016)
Heading into Burgos, shortly after crossing the AP-1, Brierley presents an option. We took the paved route going past the airport (Brieley's grey route) and stayed at the Hotel Buenos Aires in Villafria and used the bus that stops right there to visit the city for an afternoon and the next day. In the long run this kept us off lots more pavement and uninteresting walks. When we continued our camino we walked back from the hotel for about 45 minutes to the optional spot of the day before and then took the Brieley yellow route to Castanares and from there took Brierley's green route across the Rio Arianzon. We then followed the river along its south bank past Burgos until it met up with the camino again at Puente Malatos. We then stayed at Hotel Puerta Romeros just beyond. It is at the spot where in the movie "The Way" the kid hands Martin Sheen his pack.

From Leon to La Virgen was unenjoyable but I really liked the walk from there to Vilar de Mazarife (Brierley's green route.)

Peg and I are backpackers and enjoyed the hill route (Brierley's green route) out of Villafranca del Bierzo despite the added work of the ascent and descent. The weather was good though with no wind or heat either. It had nice views and part of it goes through chestnut groves. This is the hill route (Ruta Pradela) to the north of the marked camino, not the one to the south (Brierley's purple route.) Carry extra water.
I took the route Pradela as well and plan to again this year. I prefer being away from the roads.

marbuck

Past OR future Camino
Condom to Pamplona April 2016.
Le Puy to Condom France - April-May 2015.
Roncesvalles to Santiago April - May 2014
Finisterre to Muxia May 2014
Eunate and Samos. Neither should be missed.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads