• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Siena to Rome September 2018

Sainttam

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sarria to Santiago, march 2017), Portuguese (Valenca to SDC September 2017).
Im walking with a mate starting in Siena on September 4th, getting into Rome on the 17th (we are having a couple of rest days along the way to enjoy the local wine, pizza and culture ).

Anyone else planning to walk in September?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi: A friend and I will be doing that same section, but we will be out there in late June/early July. Don't ask me why we picked what might be the hottest time of year. I don't have an answer for that. Once I am home, I'll likely do a brief write up of how it went in order to keep the info on the Forum current. Enjoy your journey!

I look forward to reading about your walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Im walking with a mate starting in Siena on September 4th, getting into Rome on the 17th (we are having a couple of rest days along the way to enjoy the local wine, pizza and culture ).

Anyone else planning to walk in September?
You will be way ahead of me. I start from Great Saint Bernard Pass on 29 August... Enjoy!

You will be way ahead of me. I start from Great Saint Bernard Pass on 29 August... Enjoy!
I'd love to have the time to do all that, will have to wait a few more years until I retire. Since it's a long time until September, I've decided to head out to Italy in April and walk from Pietrasanta to Siena.

I'd love to have the time to do all that, will have to wait a few more years until I retire. Since it's a long time until September, I've decided to head out to Italy in April and walk from Pietrasanta to Siena.
You are lucky just to be able to 'pop over' to Italy for short stints! I envy you! Happy walking.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm looking at walking from San Gimignano through to Rome but in May 2018 - precisely to avoid the summer heat (which has been particularly intense the last couple of years).
Bon Camino
Suzanne

I will be walking from Siena to Rome in September. But few days after you. I will arrive in Siena on the 9th and will start walking on the 10th. Btw, does anyone know accoglienza Santa Luisa in Siena? Do I need to book it ahead? It would be my first night unless anyone has any good advice for Siena to stay overnight?

Its a pity you start the week after me, the friend i was going with has had to pull out on Doctors orders it wouldve been nice to have company. The place you mention in Siena, ive never heard of. Im not doing the walk as a Pilgrim so im not staying in Pilgrim accommodation. I booked through Booking.com and Siena has proved to be a bit expensive but i got a place at a reasonable rate. Enjoy your walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will be walking from Siena to Rome in September. But few days after you. I will arrive in Siena on the 9th and will start walking on the 10th. Btw, does anyone know accoglienza Santa Luisa in Siena? Do I need to book it ahead? It would be my first night unless anyone has any good advice for Siena to stay overnight?

I read one pilgrim blog which reported santa Luisa to be nice. it's in the southern part of siena. I think it's prudent to reserve in advance, it's a convent.
convento santa Luisa (11bb, HP donativo), via san Girolamo 8, 0577/284 377 suor Ginetta, drs+r, shower, wc, B 7h, D, ®!, all year -22h15.

pilgrims reported this pilgrim accommodation right in the centre to be very nice, too:
ostello Casa delle Balie = s Maria della Scala (25bb, BB €18), vicolo san Girolamo 2, 0577/286 300, 347/613 7678, 5dr in three locations (vicolo san Girolamo, via Fusari, piazza Duomo), shower €0.50/4min (exact change!), wm+dm, @+wifi, incl. bedlinen, ®!, Oct15-Mar15 10h-16h30+20h-22h, closed Feb?, closed Dec24-25, check-in Mar16-Oct14 11h-17h30 on piazza Duomo 2 (TO) + 19h-21h on vicolo san Girolamo.

Thank you Caminka!
Nice to hear from you as I will be using your accommodation list on the way :). Good job.
Btw - from your vast know how - it looks like they offer blankets almost everywhere? I am planning on having only light liner with me instead of sleeping bag.
Thank you again :)

Thank you Caminka!
Nice to hear from you as I will be using your accommodation list on the way :). Good job.
Btw - from your vast know how - it looks like they offer blankets almost everywhere? I am planning on having only light liner with me instead of sleeping bag.
Thank you again :)

that's really cool! :)
if you will have time to post any comments, that would be most helpful.

from what I've read on various blogs and seen from various photos, there are blankets, usually. but there may be an odd exeption just where you least expect it. there's usually a solution on hand.
I'm a cold sleeper so I always carry my light sleeping bag - and don't need to worry about the blankets!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi caminka, thank you again for your reply. But.... I have changed my mind regarding the way. My final decision is Assisi to Rome. I am in a bit of trouble regarding accomodation on that way but I just cannot miss Romita di Cesi and Fra Bernardino. Pace e Bene :)

I'm sure you'lle have a nice time, regardless.

from what I've read about various st franis routes, there are also various accommodation types, not all of which are accessible to everyone, if one is not subscribed to a particular organization. I find this very odd for a pilgrim route, but there you go.

How is your walk going? I’m currently in Bolsena, having 2 nights here. I’ve seen around 20 people max on the VF, most Italian, 2 mom and daughters from USA, one Frenchman and a couple of Germans. One on the Americans said they’d met another Scotsman but I’ve not met him.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry I missed this comment. I had 42 different types of tech issues while walking and could not access me emails and just about everything else. Walked into Rome on Thurs 20 Sept and happy to have had the experience and happy to have the experience done! It was amazing, but much harder than a camino and much harder than I expected. How did you find it? Mel

Well done on completing your walk. Of what I did to on my 2 visits I had 2 hard days. First was from a Pietrasanta to Lucca, too far for a first day. I got lost twice and got several blisters. The walk to Radicofani I found hard going too, partially because I was feeling ill most of the day.

I got soaked and twice in one day in thunderstorms as my “waterproof” jacket that has served me so well in the past isn’t waterproof anymore . Had to walk 2 days in same clothes as I wore in the t-storms as my bag was still in Sienna.........long story.

I enjoyed it though, beautiful scenery, some amazing old towns. Already booked to do from GSBP to Pavia next August, just wish I could’ve done it all at once like yourself.

Once again, we’ll done on completing the VF.

I'm looking at walking from San Gimignano through to Rome but in May 2018 .....
Suzanne
Best laid plans of mice and men ;). My May Camino didn't plan out; but I'm leaving tonight and starting in Lucca. :cool:

€149,-
Well done on completing your walk. Of what I did to on my 2 visits I had 2 hard days. First was from a Pietrasanta to Lucca, too far for a first day. I got lost twice and got several blisters. The walk to Radicofani I found hard going too, partially because I was feeling ill most of the day.

I got soaked and twice in one day in thunderstorms as my “waterproof” jacket that has served me so well in the past isn’t waterproof anymore . Had to walk 2 days in same clothes as I wore in the t-storms as my bag was still in Sienna.........long story.

I enjoyed it though, beautiful scenery, some amazing old towns. Already booked to do from GSBP to Pavia next August, just wish I could’ve done it all at once like yourself.

Once again, we’ll done on completing the VF.

Thanks so much. It was quite the walk! Hard to be at home now and not pulling on the backpack everyday.

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.