• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sign deletions

Status
Not open for further replies.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Does anyone know why the word “Castile” has been crossed out on so many of the sign posts on the Camino Frances, leaving just the words “and Leon” visible?

The “comunidad autónoma” (a regional subdivision of Spain) is Castilla y León. There is a movement in León that seeks independence from Castilla, that is, they want to be their own “comunidad autónoma.” Castilla y León is made up of a bunch of Spanish provinces, León being one of them. It seems to be a movement that is supported by most/all of the major political parties in León. so this is much more than graffiti by a small band of people on the fringe. But I don’t know too much about the origins of the whole debate.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Does anyone know why the word “Castile” has been crossed out on so many of the sign posts on the Camino Frances, leaving just the words “and Leon” visible?
You’ll know when you cross the border because the crossing out is reversed and ‘Leon’ deleted.

In parts of Wales the English version is defaced, in Corsica it’s common to see the French variant deleted; back in the day when anyone could even be bothered writing Londonderry on a sign it rapidly became Derry (or free Derry) and so on and so forth.

Given that you’re from Scotland I’m surprised that you wouldn’t have recognised a bit of inter-community friction when you saw it?

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As far as I understand it, Leon wants to be separate from Castilla y Leon but the issue is not about more autonomy from the central state, which is the issue with Galicia, the Basque Country and Catalonia.

I've read a bit about history and former kingdoms but usually these contemporary issues (in Europe) are primarily about today's money and today's economic questions - who gets too much of the taxpayers' money and who does not get enough or who pays too much into the common coffers of a country and so on. However, I know too little to understand the current issue of Leon (I understand that it is primarily Leon who wants to break away). I must admit that I paid little attention to it all when I walked.

Not to mention Galicia . . .

View attachment 128523

(Genuine question to Moderators: have we relaxed our rule on "political" statements?)
You (and I, and others) are not commenting on or promoting any point of view; simply illustrating factually things which exist. IMHO, of course.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
(Genuine question to Moderators: have we relaxed our rule on "political" statements?)
No.

You (and I, and others) are not commenting on or promoting any point of view
Agreed. I think the OP's question has been answered, without anyone taking a political position, so thank you to all.

Probably further discussion would get into politics, so I'll close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back