• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sign for Camino Inglés spotted on the Cornwall Coastal Path (UK) somewhere near St. Ives.

MarkyD

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 31/08/2018 - 20/10/2018
A friend of mine recently sent me this photo (see below), which made me wonder why such a sign would be put on the Coastal Path in Cornwall, UK.
Does anyone have an explanation for this? Is there a rogue "stuck in the UK" pilgrim putting signs up and inventing a new Camino Inglés in England?

Attachments

• IMG-20220703-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220703-WA0002.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 105
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A friend of mine recently sent me this photo (see below), which made me wonder why such a sign would be put on the Coastal Path in Cornwall, UK.
Does anyone have an explanation for this? Is there a rogue "stuck in the UK" pilgrim putting signs up and inventing a new Camino Inglés in England?
The signs are legitimate. This is the St Michael's Way a genuine Camino route. In non-Covid times you could get a credential and stamps. I don't know if that is available again yet. The route starts in Lelant and takes you to St Michael's Mount with a choice of direction at the end. It is a delightful one day walk and marked on OS maps as well as with signs along the way. I enjoyed walking it last year with the Confraternity of St James UK. Highly recommend joining this group who are great supporters of the Camino. They plan to walk it again in mid September.

I've seen them around the Reading and Burghfield area, and the route continues to Southampton. Oddly enough the first time I saw one was when I was out on my bike on the same day that I'd booked my plane tickets to walk the Primitivo.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It all ties in with the odd status of the Camino Ingles branch from A Coruna. Although A Coruna is the historical starting point for the medieval Camino Ingles that route is well under 100km and so those who choose that route are not eligible for a Compostela under the modern rules. The cathedral agreed a compromise where those who could show that they have already walked a minimum of 25km on a pilgrim route in their home country could receive a Compostela after walking from A Coruna rather than Ferrol. The Camino Society Ireland have been specially active in promoting this "loophole" in the Compostela rules and it forms the basis of their "Celtic Camino" concept. The Cornish route also makes use of this special exception.

I've seen them around the Reading and Burghfield area, and the route continues to Southampton.
Another recent attempt to revive a historical connection between pilgrimage in England and Galicia. For several centuries Reading Abbey was the home of a relic believed to have been the hand of St James and therefore it was a centre for pilgrimage in England. So Reading was considered an appropriate starting point for a pilgrim route leading to the ferry ports on the south coast.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've seen them around the Reading and Burghfield area, and the route continues to Southampton. Oddly enough the first time I saw one was when I was out on my bike on the same day that I'd booked my plane tickets to walk the Primitivo.
The route runs from Reading to Southampton, and is St James's Way. Plenty of information is available via The Confraternity of St James. I believe it's a legitimate part of the Camino Ingles.

Hi I live in Co. Durham there are the same signs starting in Gainford to Piercebridge they go on but haven't yet followed further Looked very new.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Spotted this shell sign cemented into wall on seafront at St Mawes, Cornwall
1656946543453.png

while looking for the Holy Well (just around the corner)

Attachments

• 554006_9723c680[1].jpg
    554006_9723c680[1].jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 58
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Also saw one on the Coast to Coast route in Yorkshire.

Another recent attempt to revive a historical connection between pilgrimage in England and Galicia. For several centuries Reading Abbey was the home of a relic believed to have been the hand of St James and therefore it was a centre for pilgrimage in England. So Reading was considered an appropriate starting point for a pilgrim route leading to the ferry ports on the south coast.

I know this is an old post but I have a question -- I have read different things about whether one can walk St. Michael's Way (which is less than 25 km) and then from A Coruna (75 km) and get a Compostela. The website for St. Michael's Way says yes, but other websites (and your post) indicate that you need a solid 25 km from the UK. Anyone know which is correct?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Anyone know which is correct?
The Confraternity of St James website suggests that walking 25km of any route with a reasonable Jacobean pilgrimage connection should qualify and they cite some UK examples. You could probably add a few km on to the St Michael's Way to reach the 25km minimum.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back