• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Signage from SJPP to Orisson

StFina

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, June 2012
CF, July 2012
CF, September 2016
Camino Primitivo, May 2017, followed by Camino Frances, late May, 2017
I am walking solo this summer from SJPP to Burgos. Some people commented that the signage from SJPP through Roncesvalles is sometimes hard to find. Are there maps available at the Pilgrim Center in SJPP? Any comments on applicable signage? I did walk the CF from Burgos into Santiago, with no problems. - Thanks - Steve

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Pilgrim Office in SJPdP has available a simple but adequate sketch map showing both the Napoleon and Valcarlos caminos as well as important turns and landscape features.

If you're leaving St Jean in the summer, you will have about 200 of your 'new best friends' to help guide you ....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am concerned because I won't start walking until around 10:30 in the morning. Not sure if there will be many pilgrims at that time. - Steve

The Pilgrim Office in SJPdP has available a simple but adequate sketch map showing both the Napoleon and Valcarlos caminos as well as important turns and landscape features.
It will be easier to read than this copy:
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-svGxhA7_KV0/V8KZrku0VKI/AAAAAAAABVw/XGAaTyD2He8tIt9jE17LkW312QKSgpe_QCLcB/s640/img-a2aaf%5B1%5D.jpg

[The following was added by an edit done on March 23, 2017]

A bigger and clearer picture of the Pilgrims' Office handout map of the two routes from St. Jean Pied de Port to Roncevalles, "Les Ports de Cize" can be found at http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/local/cache-vignettes/L600xH850/img-a2aaf.jpg

And for another plus, this map is on the Pilgrims' Office website, http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/

For more information (in French) see
http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/les-...commune,68/St-Jean-Pied-de-Port-Roncevaux,145

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Along these lines....just curious about the difference in the two routes. I am planning to take the Napoleon, but is there a reason to consider Valcarlos? I will be leaving in mid September. Recommendations?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Along these lines....just curious about the difference in the two routes. I am planning to take the Napoleon, but is there a reason to consider Valcarlos? I will be leaving in mid September. Recommendations?

This thread will provide many reasons to choose the Valcarlos alternate.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpp-to-roncesvalles-–-in-praise-of-the-lower-route.16075/

Furthermore the Valcarlos alternate is the only route open from 1 November until 1 April

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It just occurred to me that one place along the Route Napolean (the high route) that people have complained of getting lost is at the Col de Lepoder when the climb is over and you head down to Roncevalles. The regular camino crosses the road and heads down into the woods. There are many who find it too steep and slippery and missed the sign pointing out the alternative (which is actually that road that is crossed.) It isn't that the sign is obscure, the problem is that you have to be able to read Spanish or Basque. @Felipe has a picture of the sign at this forum titled "Col de Lepoeder, Navarra, Spain."

The link to the picture is: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...riant-to-roncesvalles-by-ibañeta-chapel.5686/

His description is:
When you arrive at Lepoeder you can go straigth and by the forest way (scenic, but very steep), or turn right by the easier paved road to Ibañeta chapel, and then a final short path to Roncesvalles. This is indicated in the signpost as "Alternativa suave" (meaning "soft")​

This link will pinpoint the approimate location of the sign:
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=43.025937,-1.296043&z=17&t=h

On the map that is handed out at the Pilgrims Office in St. Jean there is a warning for this steep path and they wish to send you along the alternate. You can see a picture of the Col de Lepoeder sign to the left of their Danger sign at the top of the map. Also you can see their red route for the camino takes a sharp right here.

Here is the copy of their map that I posted earlier: Link

Here is another picture of the area (Sorry, links to this do not work. You have to cut and paste):

maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/streetview?size=640x450&heading=0&location=43.025385,-1.296521&fov=60

In that picture we are on the road and on the left we see a hiker in red on the camino. The camino is going downhill at that point and will cross the road to the sign on the pole and the upright stone marker. The trail to the alternative camino has already been passed by the walker in red. Not a problem. He can take a right when he gets to the road and he will meet with the alternative camino shortly.

I remember being told at the Pilgrim's office to stay right, and that's what I did. I started to get a little concerned, because I was walking alone at that point, and didn't see anyone ahead or behind me. There were a few people walking in the other direction though.

I am walking solo this summer from SJPP to Burgos. Some people commented that the signage from SJPP through Roncesvalles is sometimes hard to find. Are there maps available at the Pilgrim Center in SJPP? Any comments on applicable signage? I did walk the CF from Burgos into Santiago, with no problems. - Thanks - Steve

We walked from SJJP to Santiago with no maps, no phone, no anything, just a watch. You will have no problems and as some have mentioned there are always ... always those along the Way to help !!! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As you exit Saint Jean Pied de Port through the old arch, take the left fork in the road at the intersection and just walk UP!

Follow either the red over white stripe GR 65 postings, or the yellow arrows. If you come to a fork in the road, you generally take the one that goes UP...usually left..but this IS France...(sic)

At about 8 km you will come to Refuge Orisson. You cannot really miss it as it is the only substantial stone two-story building in sight. It is on the right about 1 km AFTER the Hunto albergue.

The typical walking time is about 2.5 - 3 hours from St. Jean. However, and as they assign even reserved bunks on a FIFO basis, arriving earlier rather than later is better.

Besides, on a clear day, the panoramic views from the deck across the road are stupendous! Admiring the view, while meeting new friends and sampling the local vin rouge (you are still in France), while working on your sun tan, is not at all a bad way to cap off your first day. If you arrive much after noon - 13:00, you might find yourself assigned to a less desirable bunk room or even the overflow tents out back.

Bear in mind that the climb from St. Jean to Orisson is the steepest incline over the ENTIRE Camino Frances. It is only 8 km, about 5 miles, but it IS quite steep. This said, there will be others walking, and huffing and puffing along side you.

Later on, after you are more acclimated, there will higher climbs and longer ascents, but none is as steep as that first bit.

To be truthful, there IS a 12% grade just as you cross into the province of Palencia, but that is a long, steady 1 km climb, and you have been walking for two to three weeks already, so you should not be daunted. Just keep this in its context and you will be fine.

I hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back