• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Significance of burning personal items at Finisterre

D

Deleted member 90306

Hey Pilgrims,

What is the significance of burning personal possessions when reaching the end of the world at Finisterre?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey Pilgrims,

What is the significance of burning personal possessions when reaching the end of the world at Finisterre?
It demonstrates that the person is easily led into accepting modern inventions as 'tradition' and their complete disregard for the environment and the safety and wishes of local people in their willingness to satisfy their own selfish desire for a "spiritual" photo-op.

Last edited:
@Bradypus Do not mock this ancient tradition, which surely dates from the early 1980s, and is intended to provide a ritual of the completion of the journey to the ends of the earth, and the death of the underclothing and boots which brought one there. Such spiritual cleansing is of great meaning to the post-Franco pilgrim.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Bradypus Do not mock this ancient tradition, which surely dates from the early 1980s, and is intended to provide a ritual of the completion of the journey to the ends of the earth, and the death of the underclothing and boots which brought one there. Such spiritual cleansing is of great meaning to the post-Franco pilgrim.
I appreciate your response. I should have also added, what were the origins/traditions of burning possessions at Finisterre. So this is the answer I was looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My underclothing and boots are very likely to be near death and/or possibly ripe with unwanted life at the end of a 900+km Camino. But I can think of less environmentally hazardous ways of marking their demise than cremating them along with a hectare or two of Galician hillside. https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...onte-do-cabo-fisterra/0003_201808C25C2997.htm

Purification ritual . Starting life afresh/new.

the burning is not acceptable now. For health, fire reasons.

entering the ocean is.

Before you enter the ocean, please, please make sure you do this at a safe beach and NOT at the Cabo, for example. This part of the coast is not known as the Costa del Morte for nothing ...
BC SY

There's a place on the cathedral roof in Santiago where a guide told us that pilgrims burned their clothes. The Finisterre tradition is modern.

I've always wondered if medieval pilgrims had burned their clothes, what would they wear as most probably had only one set of clothes - what they were wearing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've always wondered if medieval pilgrims had burned their clothes, what would they wear as most probably had only one set of clothes - what they were wearing.
They used their newly acquired scallop shells as a substitute for a loincloth - tying it on with strips of dried kelp collected at the full moon on the beach at Muxia - and walked home wearing only that. After walking so many miles to get to Santiago they were road-hardened and didn't need clothes anymore.

I thought it was because Galicia was even wetter in past times and dry kindling and wood was unavailable. So one day medieval pilgrim 1 said to pilgrim 2 "Oi Brian, if you was going to get rid of that rag of a cloak I could use it to start a fire". And so a tradition was born.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Pilgrims,

Hey Pilgrims,

Hey Pilgrims,

without giving away too many details: a 40 something (perfectly nice) guy told me that he burnt the name of his one-time girlfriend, who is now married to another guy, has 2 children and lives in a city on a different continent, My Camino Amigo thought it would help him expunge her from his heart!!1 Go figure.

without giving away too many details: a 40 something (perfectly nice) guy told me that he burnt the name of his one-time girlfriend, who is now married to another guy, has 2 children and lives in a city on a different continent, My Camino Amigo thought it would help him expunge her from his heart!!1 Go figure.
Whatever works for him but that's a stretch and he really needed to get over it ;)

It demonstrates that the person is easily led into accepting modern inventions as 'tradition' and their complete disregard for the environment and the safety and wishes of local people in their willingness to satisfy their own selfish desire for a "spiritual" photo-op.
Whoo, Bradypus, dial it back a bit.
I agree that it is not good for environment, neither the human nor the ecological, but I understand the need to put a final cap on what was, hopefully, an amazing experience for the walker.
Personally, I couldn't imagine burning my items at the end of my Camino. They had been my closest companions for weeks and weeks and had seen me through too many adventures to count. If I could now hang my boots off my rear view mirror of my car, I would.
Anthropomorphism, anyone?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I appreciate your response. I should have also added, what were the origins/traditions of burning possessions at Finisterre. So this is the answer I was looking for.

All traditions have to start some day. There was a time when some old Roman sniffed when hearing of Christmas as a new invented holiday. It is a tradition now and makes sense.

Yes, it’s a modern “tradition” that is a hazard to health, safety, and the environment. Instead of burning, I donated my clothes to a secondhand shop and used my boots as planters for succulents to always be reminded of my journey and that everything is connected.

Attachments

• C576089B-5AD2-4887-9A70-C69002243BEF.jpeg
    C576089B-5AD2-4887-9A70-C69002243BEF.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 4

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.