A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Significance of stone circle (menhirs) near Atapuerca

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2014, 15 & 16 Camino Frances
2017 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Primitivo (Sept.)
I have been trying to determine the significance of a group of 6 stone menhirs located between Ages and Atapuerca. There is a single stone menhir very close to Attapuerca which I gather marks the spot of the Battle of Atapuerca in 1054, but I can't seem to find any reference to the stone circle in my attached picture.
Anyone? IMG_0586.JPG

Advertisment

Tincatinker

Staff member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
Hmm, can't find this on any of the usual antiquity sites. Where exactly is it? It doesn't resemble any of the classic mamoas which makes me wonder if its a (relatively) modern construct. There appears to be plaques on each of the stones, or at least modern square-cut recesses, what were they about? It would be unusual to cut prehistoric monuments to affix explanatory plaques.

Purky

The Dutch guy
Camino(s) past & future
Breathe properly.
Stay curious.
And walk a camino.
There is a lot going on with menhirs in that area: search for 'dolmen atapuerca': the Atapuerca Mountains apparently are a treasure trove when it comes to Neolithic culture. Your photo reminded me of Avebury (near Stonehenge, UK), with similar stones and stone circles. The significance is unknown, but plenty of theories.

2015-07-30-16.30.30.jpg

Tincatinker

Staff member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2017 Camino Portuguese
Hmm, can't find this on any of the usual antiquity sites. Where exactly is it? It doesn't resemble any of the classic mamoas which makes me wonder if its a (relatively) modern construct. There appears to be plaques on each of the stones, or at least modern square-cut recesses, what were they about? It would be unusual to cut prehistoric monuments to affix explanatory plaques.
The stones are located slightly more than halfway from Ages to Atapuerca. They are a field adjacent as you walk down the paved road to Atapuerca.
They may be relatively modern in origin as I agree it is unlikely ancient stones would be defaced with bronze plaques.

Advertisment

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2017 Camino Portuguese
Camino(s) past & future
'
The implication is that this is indeed a modern construct una megalito moderno y falso.
Well spotted :)! I wonder whether this is the result of an event called "levantamiento de menhir a modo prehistórico" which takes place in the area? If so, the stones and their location are late 20th/early 21st century. If you google for these words, you find a bunch of articles and images. The stones are dedicated to persons or groups involved with the Atapuerca discoveries.

Tincatinker

Staff member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
Thanks Kathar1na! I'd had a ghost of a memory of an 'Atapuerca Memorial'. Time to get Google working for its rep again ;)

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Here in Wales there are a lot of modern stone circles. Until fairly recently it was the custom to build one each year near the site of the National Eisteddfod - the main Welsh-language cultural festival which has a lot of "druid" ceremony attached. This event moves to different towns around the country each year. These days they use portable and lightweight fibreglass rocks to build a temporary circle instead :)

Rick of Rick and Peg

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
The stones are located slightly more than halfway from Ages to Atapuerca. They are a field adjacent as you walk down the paved road to Atapuerca.
I found the spot was near 42.373593,-3.499205 but I couldn't find any trustworthy page on the web that said what they were for or what was written on the plaques. I stopped and read them but I just can't remember what they said.

Anniesantiago

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route. 2018 will be Camino #14.
Here in Wales there are a lot of modern stone circles. Until fairly recently it was the custom to build one each year near the site of the National Eisteddfod - the main Welsh-language cultural festival which has a lot of "druid" ceremony attached. This event moves to different towns around the country each year. These days they use portable and lightweight fibreglass rocks to build a temporary circle instead :)
My Welsh friends and I decided many of those old "magical stone circles" might be nothing more than sheep pens.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés Sept. 2017
Camino Portugués Apr-May 2019
I found the spot was near 42.373593,-3.499205 but I couldn't find any trustworthy page on the web that said what they were for or what was written on the plaques. I stopped and read them but I just can't remember what they said.
The article referenced by Kathar1na talks about how difficult it was to move and place such heavy stones, but doesn't say where they were moved from. So the "levantamiento de menhir a modo prehistórico" means that they are erecting and placing these stones to make it look like a prehistoric site, but it really isn't. It says that each one has a plaque that bears the name of the individual or group associated with excavating arqueological sites in the area. The blogspot dated July 2012 indicats that the "megalitos modernos" refers to the fact that they are indeed modern, and that none of the megaliths are natural. The 4 false ones are the dolmens pictured beneath the megaliths, because they are simply reproductions. One of them was placed by the village priest.

Last edited:

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016

Pruden

Pilgrim of life
Camino(s) past & future
October 2012 Camino Francés Sarria /Santiago.
November 2013 Camino Francés
León to Sarria
June 2014 Camino Francés San Juan Pie de Port to Logroño.
November 2016 Camino Frances ,Logroño to León.
I think is a modern work made to signal the area where very old digging are taken place , I'm talking about something that happened about maybe 800,000 ago!
Call the Sima de los huesos , ancients human beens and prehistoric animal, discovered when a train was going to be crossing the are to carry minerals!

marylynn

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
2011-12-14-15-16-17-18 CF
2013 Arles/Aragones
2015 & 2017 Hærvejen DK
When I first encountered these standing stones in 2011, I assumed they are associated with the ethnology/archeology museum on the other side of the road and were probably moved from another site. There is also a sign and a 'sculpture' near the stones. The ethnology museum in Burgos is well-worth a visit.
2011 Atapuerca.jpg 2011-05-23@09-05-38 to BURGOS.jpg

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

Advertisement

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 84 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 141 26.5%
  • June