• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Significance of stone circle (menhirs) near Atapuerca

• Thread starter Deleted member 56069
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56069

I have been trying to determine the significance of a group of 6 stone menhirs located between Ages and Atapuerca. There is a single stone menhir very close to Attapuerca which I gather marks the spot of the Battle of Atapuerca in 1054, but I can't seem to find any reference to the stone circle in my attached picture.
Anyone?IMG_0586.JPG

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hmm, can't find this on any of the usual antiquity sites. Where exactly is it? It doesn't resemble any of the classic mamoas which makes me wonder if its a (relatively) modern construct. There appears to be plaques on each of the stones, or at least modern square-cut recesses, what were they about? It would be unusual to cut prehistoric monuments to affix explanatory plaques.

There is a lot going on with menhirs in that area: search for 'dolmen atapuerca': the Atapuerca Mountains apparently are a treasure trove when it comes to Neolithic culture. Your photo reminded me of Avebury (near Stonehenge, UK), with similar stones and stone circles. The significance is unknown, but plenty of theories.

2015-07-30-16.30.30.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hmm, can't find this on any of the usual antiquity sites. Where exactly is it? It doesn't resemble any of the classic mamoas which makes me wonder if its a (relatively) modern construct. There appears to be plaques on each of the stones, or at least modern square-cut recesses, what were they about? It would be unusual to cut prehistoric monuments to affix explanatory plaques.

The stones are located slightly more than halfway from Ages to Atapuerca. They are a field adjacent as you walk down the paved road to Atapuerca.
They may be relatively modern in origin as I agree it is unlikely ancient stones would be defaced with bronze plaques.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The implication is that this is indeed a modern construct una megalito moderno y falso.
Well spotted :)! I wonder whether this is the result of an event called "levantamiento de menhir a modo prehistórico" which takes place in the area? If so, the stones and their location are late 20th/early 21st century. If you google for these words, you find a bunch of articles and images. The stones are dedicated to persons or groups involved with the Atapuerca discoveries.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Here in Wales there are a lot of modern stone circles. Until fairly recently it was the custom to build one each year near the site of the National Eisteddfod - the main Welsh-language cultural festival which has a lot of "druid" ceremony attached. This event moves to different towns around the country each year. These days they use portable and lightweight fibreglass rocks to build a temporary circle instead :)

The stones are located slightly more than halfway from Ages to Atapuerca. They are a field adjacent as you walk down the paved road to Atapuerca.
I found the spot was near 42.373593,-3.499205 but I couldn't find any trustworthy page on the web that said what they were for or what was written on the plaques. I stopped and read them but I just can't remember what they said.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here in Wales there are a lot of modern stone circles. Until fairly recently it was the custom to build one each year near the site of the National Eisteddfod - the main Welsh-language cultural festival which has a lot of "druid" ceremony attached. This event moves to different towns around the country each year. These days they use portable and lightweight fibreglass rocks to build a temporary circle instead :)

My Welsh friends and I decided many of those old "magical stone circles" might be nothing more than sheep pens.

I found the spot was near 42.373593,-3.499205 but I couldn't find any trustworthy page on the web that said what they were for or what was written on the plaques. I stopped and read them but I just can't remember what they said.

The article referenced by Kathar1na talks about how difficult it was to move and place such heavy stones, but doesn't say where they were moved from. So the "levantamiento de menhir a modo prehistórico" means that they are erecting and placing these stones to make it look like a prehistoric site, but it really isn't. It says that each one has a plaque that bears the name of the individual or group associated with excavating arqueological sites in the area. The blogspot dated July 2012 indicats that the "megalitos modernos" refers to the fact that they are indeed modern, and that none of the megaliths are natural. The 4 false ones are the dolmens pictured beneath the megaliths, because they are simply reproductions. One of them was placed by the village priest.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think is a modern work made to signal the area where very old digging are taken place , I'm talking about something that happened about maybe 800,000 ago!
Call the Sima de los huesos , ancients human beens and prehistoric animal, discovered when a train was going to be crossing the are to carry minerals!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I first encountered these standing stones in 2011, I assumed they are associated with the ethnology/archeology museum on the other side of the road and were probably moved from another site. There is also a sign and a 'sculpture' near the stones. The ethnology museum in Burgos is well-worth a visit.
2011 Atapuerca.jpg2011-05-23@09-05-38 to BURGOS.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back