• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Significant change to the Camino Ingles is coming

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Hola

I'm currently on the route. I have no material changes to report on the Coruña arm of the Camino Ingles.

On the route from Ferrol there are one or two minor updates which have already been mentioned - the closure of the Hotel Palacete in Betanzos etc. There is also now a highly efficient luggage forwarding service run by the Correo -the Post Office . The hotel Garelos is opening apartment style accommodation in Betanzos and will send me details.

The major change which I understand has been agreed by Xacobeo and the Heritage Department is the re-routing of the way to Hospital de Bruma so that it follows a slightly shorter and much less arduous path. The route will no longer pass the Bar Julia.

I must stress that this new way has not yet been waymarked. When it is opened I will go out and produce new walking notes.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola,
Is it possible to check the prices for the Correos service Johnnie? We saw a sign saying the minimum charge was 16€ for up to 20kgs, but as the various accomodation had made arrangements do they have a special price? We didn't ask although we considered it from Betanzos as we would have bought a bag to send on - so as to still have 2 but light packs.
It will be good to have a slightly different route but sad for Bar Julia, although they obviously cater for the locals rather than just pilgrims. Hopefully it will not bypass the new cafe-bar at Presedo which is really good.:)
Buen Camino

There are leaflets available along the way. The system is simple - email mimochila@correos.com or call 606618341 to order the service. Put the money in the envelope provided and leave it with your luggage to be collected. The correos have an arrangement with Albergues and hoteles to secure the luggage until collection.

I have just spoken with the correos to confirm: the maximum weight of any item of luggage should be no more than 20kgs

Cost: 5 euros per item for one etapa. 4 euros If you book 5 etapas or more.

This service is available on all routes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Johnnie, that is good service at a good price. We had decided to continue carrying our packs but did see the large group in the Garelos putting their bags together for collection. Next day, while we were having breakfast, they came at 7.30 for the bags - to the shock of the would be users, but I think it did say on the envelope (which Terry read at Meson Novo) that bags should be ready by 7.00am.:) or :( or even :eek:.

Bar Julia meal last week was fab and uphill was hardly too strenuous. Pepe at the new Euro 6 Xunta de Galicia albergue near the old Mercado in Benatzos was great! A kitchen with utensils, two microwaves but no hob. Fab mattresses and general design. A lovely town with some exceptional art nouveau buildings and street lamp lights. Also look out for the statue of the two Garcia brothers, returned after making their fortune in Argentina - one of them is showing off that new invention, the PHONE!

Another small but significant change that we found in Betanzos.
The sello with Santiago on his horse is now in the Church of San Domingo, in the plaza opposite the Information Office. Open at about the same times as far as we could see, also for Mass.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I so enjoyed Bar Julia and the hike uphill. It really was not too strenous ! And if a walker finds it too strenous, it is possible to sit Down and catch your breath by the trailside. And there is an option of getting a taxi from Bar Julia. I hope the "old" route will be marked as an optional or alternative route.

Thank you, Johnnie Walker, for your update.

Done that up hill after Bar Julia last week, it was fab, it should stay as an alternative to any changes made. We went on and stayed in O Meson Novo one of the best places to stay on the Camino Ingles.

The one place that would need some attention is the very steep but short scramble near the top of the bank, just before the top of the hill. We commented that a few 'steps, cut into the bank with a simple log facing to prevent erosion or slippage would be good. It is unlikely to happen though if the route is changing, but I put it out as a suggestion if the route is still marked as an alternative - a good idea especially if the new route means more road walking. The track up through the woods, though difficult in some ways is kind to the feet. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Camino Ingles in May 2015.

I unexpectedly used the Correos service to forward a duffle bag, which I stuffed to the max after several days of suffering with a too heavy pack...it was 5 euro a day. They were highly reliable and the one day where they screwed up, they fixed it promptly and even called me to personally apologize.

I'm sorry to hear about the change in the route.....I found the walk from Bar Julia to Bruma to be not nearly as bad as I expected.

The route From Bruma to Siguero was MUCH harder....my hardest day of the whole time I walked from Ferrol to Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia.

I found it harder walking DOWN the hill from I think it was from Olveiroa to Cee(?), the last steep, downhill part, wherever it was, seemed to last forever.....

Hola,
Is it possible to check the prices for the Correos service Johnnie? We saw a sign saying the minimum charge was 16€ for up to 20kgs, but as the various accomodation had made arrangements do they have a special price? We didn't ask although we considered it from Betanzos as we would have bought a bag to send on - so as to still have 2 but light packs.
It will be good to have a slightly different route but sad for Bar Julia, although they obviously cater for the locals rather than just pilgrims. Hopefully it will not bypass the new cafe-bar at Presedo which is really good.:)
Buen Camino
It was only 5 euro. Well worth it.

Hola

I'm currently on the route. I have no material changes to report on the Coruña arm of the Camino Ingles.

On the route from Ferrol there are one or two minor updates which have already been mentioned - the closure of the Hotel Palacete in Betanzos etc. There is also now a highly efficient luggage forwarding service run by the Correo -the Post Office . The hotel Garelos is opening apartment style accommodation in Betanzos and will send me details.

The major change which I understand has been agreed by Xacobeo and the Heritage Department is the re-routing of the way to Hospital de Bruma so that it follows a slightly shorter and much less arduous path. The route will no longer pass the Bar Julia.

I must stress that this new way has not yet been waymarked. When it is opened I will go out and produce new walking notes.
PS-I walked the Ingles route in May and wanted to advise you of two things I noted....there is a planned/proposed new albergue in Fene. I didn't take pics, but there was a building on one of the main streets with a sign and a diagram of the planned development project.

I also found the way markers were very poor in Mino. I had a difficult time finding my way out of town. The one marker I found was a spray painted arrow to the albergue. Luckily, the extremely nice lady in the tourist office there helped me on my way.

Also coming out of Finsiterre to Muxia---I had to stop 3 or 4 times befire I got on the right way--it's easy to get confused and find yourself on the way back to Finisterre instead of on the Muxia route. JMHO.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We were in Miño on market day, which partially obscures the signs in the plaza. The right hand fork of Rúa Pardineiro goes out to the main road and the albergue/restaurants etc, the left hand fork goes to the main road at the crossroads. Next morning coming up from the albergue you can retrace your steps or , if you came up the right fork, keep to the main road which goes round a bend and reaches the crossroads. The locals pointed us to the right hand fork, the guide takes you up the left hand fork to cross or turn right onto the main road. this might be easier as next day you can just retrace your steps.

Yes, Johnnie W has confirmed the price of the Correos bag transport. We did not have a 'send on' type bag so did not check the price of the service at the time but did see a general Correos package list when there posting cards, which was why we asked about pilgrim rates.

Hola!

We're currently staying in Hotel Garelos in Betanzos tonight after 2 nights in albergues, sadly with a lot of snorers. Apart from that we enjoyed them.

We're planning to split the route between here and Bruma into 2 and were thinking of stopping at the albergue at Presedo but would people recommend Meson Novo instead?

We can recommend the Casa Betanzia by the river just over the bridge for paella, tortilla Betanzos and pimentos. We had no trouble with signs in Miño this morning, just delicious churros at the chocolateria just off the Camino on the main road (red building) and were seranaded by a local band for the Festa of Peter and Paul today.

Burn Camino!

Hola

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Moominmamma - I think this may be too late to help but Meson Novo is beyond Bruma. You can stay there to split the stage if you have booked a room. Don Antonio will then pick you up and return you next morning (Casa Julia or Leiro) to complete the walk. The albergue at Presedo naturally breaks the stage and the new cafe-bar is about 1km further on (does breakfast). We had a good meal in the cafe and stayed 2 nights at Meson Novo. If you do not want to stay in the albergue at Bruma, however you split the stage, then we can highly recommend the Meson Novo, truly lovely people and very comfortable rooms.

Hi, can anyone confirm if the new route at Bar Julia is currently in place?

I start my Camino in 10 days and plan to stay at Meson Novo, splitting the stage at Bar Julia with Antonio collecting us.

How exciting that you are waking again! Buen Camino!!! My understanding is that the new route won't be official, and marked, until next year.

€149,-
Hola

I'm curious why you mentioned the Hotel Palacete in Betanzos is closed. As I have been looking for hotels along the Camino Inglés I see that it is in fact open. Now you have me wondering as I am looking for a room in Betanzos.
Thanks,
Ray

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Palacete; good to hear it has re-opened, even if erratic, Johnnie. The tourist office told us that it was hoped that there would be new owners and it would be sold as 'a going concern'. (May 2015)
After our experience I would suggest that it is best to phone the Palacete and not rely on an internet booking (as Johnnie says it is erratic). We had booked through Venere successfully, tried to phone to advise arrival time and found the phone was cut off. Phoned the tourist office who gave us the number for the Garelos and were able to book the last available room. Betanzos was very busy the first night and we heard of folk who had been booked into the Palacete and had aborted their camino(s) as they could not find any accomodation except in Santiago itself.

Last edited:
We stayed at the Palacete in June 2014 and it was very nice, with a mini-fridge too. I see on their social media that Garelos has also recently opened some new accommodations, which they are calling "apartamentos turísticos Torre 21". Not sure on the price point, which I don't see listed on their website.

Hi. I wonder if anyone has further updates on the Hotel Palacete in Betanzos? Our group has bookings with them for next June - (2017), do you think we should be worried about them still being open? Many thanks. Sheena

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hopefully the problems for the Palacete are in the past as it has re-opened with, I believe, new owners.

However we always phone ahead to the next night's accommodation, if pre-booked, so that they know we are still coming and also give an approx arrival time. That was how we picked up the problem at the Palacete in 2015. If there is a problem with any hotel at least you have a chance to find somewhere else. If you have @JohnnieWalker 's guide I think you should have telephone numbers including tourist offices where they exist.
With plenty of information etc and a booking I would not worry, but do a check nearer the time if you would feel happier.

Hopefully the problems for the Palacete are in the past as it has re-opened with, I believe, new owners.

However we always phone ahead to the next night's accommodation, if pre-booked, so that they know we are still coming and also give an approx arrival time. That was how we picked up the problem at the Palacete in 2015. If there is a problem with any hotel at least you have a chance to find somewhere else. If you have @JohnnieWalker 's guide I think you should have telephone numbers including tourist offices where they exist.
With plenty of information etc and a booking I would not worry, but do a check nearer the time if you would feel happier.

Thanks Tia Valeria.
That's a very good suggestion. Yes, we will have copies of Johnnie Walkers Guide with us, and we'll have our itinerary which contains all necessary contact details, so we should be covered.
Only wish we going sooner!
Sheena.

CAMINO INGLÉS - ROUTE CHANGE

I've just heard that the anticipated change to the route before Hospital de Bruma /Mesón do Vento has now been implemented. I'm told that the route no longer passes over the "hill" at the Bar Julia and that new signage is in place. I'll get out there soon to produce new walking notes for the CSJ guide.

Buen Camino

John

€149,-
CAMINO INGLÉS - ROUTE CHANGE

I've just heard that the anticipated change to the route before Hospital de Bruma /Mesón do Vento has now been implemented. I'm told that the route no longer passes over the "hill" at the Bar Julia and that new signage is in place. I'll get out there soon to produce new walking notes for the CSJ guide.

Buen Camino

John
I think we will get first info on re-routing already tomorrow from @Purky who is staying tonight in Presedo with his son.

If it is more road walking rather than up 'that hill' on track then I suspect it will actually be harder on the feet. Will the old route be signed as an alternative?
Glad we walked when we did as many of the new routes (where-ever) seem less attractive than the old and often miss out on the much needed cafe-bars as they by-pass them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wish I had read this thread yesterday evening! I thought I had made some mistakes navigating the Ingles from Presedo today (which might still be the case), but there is definitely something up with the signage.

Up until the cruceiro the waymarking looks to be the same as directions in Johnny's guide. So we were still guided uphill after Bar Julia. Hard to forget...

After the cross I got caught up in conversation, so didn’t pay attention to the guide. Followed wooden boards with yellow arrows instead of stone markers, mainly on tarmac, to a main road (lots of big trucks!).

Turned left and almost instantly found Bar Casa Avelina. Still no alarm bells, but excellent coffee. After we left the bar and continued on, signage was weird, so I turned to the guide. And found I wasn't in it anymore.

The lady at the bar instructed us to follow the main road (first passing the exit sign of As Travesas, then an electric station on the right) and turn left at the terrain of Codisoil Repsol.

At this stage we met up with an Australian couple who told us that they saw stone way markers in this area being removed and replaced with wooden markers with a yellow arrow painted on.

After the left turn at Repsol some stone markers appeared again, but with pink paint covering the shell. They seemed to be in sync with the wooden markers and led us to the Bruma albergue through wooded and agricultural area.

Since I was talking with my son and the Australians, my focus was not with the route, I'm sorry to say. His step-counter on his smartphone logged about 15 km, so that is 2 km less than the guide tells me this stage should be. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Ah, when we got picked up at Casa Julia to be brought to Meson do Vento, the car route went by Bar Avelina. So it sounds like the new route joins up with the camino from Coruna a ways before it did before. Thanks for the live update @Purky !
We too were driven along that road. If it is the new route IMO it is lethal. Interesting that @Purky walked past the cruceiro after Casa Julia as I thought that the new route was going to bypass Casa Julia and the hill up to Vizoño. It will be interesting to see what @miguel_gp and @JohnnieWalker find when they walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I thought that the new route was going to bypass Casa Julia and the hill up to Vizoño

Yes, me too. Makes me wonder if they are still in the process of changing it and are working their way back towards Vilacoba. It's probably not like road construction where they do it at night! Ha! :p

I will be there on Tuesday so can check if it has, although I may still walk the hill for old times sake. It must go uphill at some point though!
I'm afraid I need to eat a bit of humble (Galician) pie. JW pointed out to me earlier that I won't be there at all on Tuesday cos I'm walking the Coruna arm. Got my routes mixed up :oops:

Be wary if you use any of the maps of the Ingles I have produced. Who knows where you'll end up ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From reading Purky's description of what was passed and then ending up at Bar Avelina and comparing with the map it would appear that this was just a missed (or intentionally rerouted) left hand turn from the traditional Ferrol route resulting in crossing between the two arms of the Ingles in As Tresvasas rather than after it.
It is a shame if the re-routing is to take you up to As Tresvasas and the main road (although good for Bar Avelina's weekly income) as it will take out a section on much quieter roads and a forest track. It is difficult to work out where the route may change before Casa Julia and "the hill" to make it better. Certainly doesn't look like it would be as direct. I'll see what if anything I can find out next week.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola

Is anything further being done about the misleading waymarker 7km after Sigueiro? I guess you will cover this in your guide but in the field?

I walked from Sigüeiro to Santiago today and had been warned to look out for the false arrow at around 7km, but everything was pretty clear and the arrow that used to point left and right now looks faded on the right-hand part. I didn't notice a misleading stone waymarker, although some of the forested trails could have used more arrows/ markers at a few of the junctions.

On Thursday when I walked from Casa Julia to Bruma the route still followed John and Miguel's directions, although I was a bit confused by the wooden signposts with arrows where it looked like concrete waymarks previously had been. Perhaps by Friday when @Purky walked they had significantly updated the trail to change it! Amelia at Casa Julia did mention they were trying to re-route the path to include more bars and places to stop for refreshment and that her restaurant would no longer be on it. If that's so, it will be sad as hers was the best raxo I've ever had in Galicia.

For those who are walking from Sigüeiro to Santiago, do stop at Hotel Castro and walk around to their front entrance to use their bathrooms (super welcome) and have a drink in their posh cafeteria. I paid 1,50€ for an Aquarius with a tapa of mixed nuts - a great price. It was a nice and surprising break!

Last edited:
Is this 7km thing at the point where the newer route heads right and then very quickly left through the trees and under the railway bridge. At this point, if it is recognisable?
https://goo.gl/maps/HVh73R6Cjw92
The old route went left back to the main road and there are probably some businesses that would rather it had stayed that way.
The new route is much nicer though ;)
So if I understand correctly they are rerouting the Camino after Presedo to more road walking and involve more bars etc. (but at the same time exclude Bar Julia!!!), OTOH on the stretch after Sigueiro they rerouted it to a less road walking and excluded a bar on a main road??? Don't really get that :eek::confused::confused: Something stinks here.

Hi Faith, congratulations on completing your Camino Ingles. I hope that you enjoyed it? Interesting that you passed Hotel Castro. This is actually on the old route (the one that runs mostly on or parallel to the N550) so umless there is a genuine diversion in place it seems that there may be arrow wars going on. If you check the Google map link I posted and use the streetview arrow to turn right you'll see a car and trailer. Follow the arrows and the car will turn left. As it does so you see the way mark stone and this is pointing the direction of the new route.
If you turn left instead the road will take you up to the N550 and eventually to Hotel Castro. Both routes should end up at Cafe Poligino ;it is just that the new one is much quieter and less dangerous.

Hi Faith, congratulations on completing your Camino Ingles. I hope that you enjoyed it? Interesting that you passed Hotel Castro. This is actually on the old route (the one that runs mostly on or parallel to the N550) so umless there is a genuine diversion in place it seems that there may be arrow wars going on. If you check the Google map link I posted and use the streetview arrow to turn right you'll see a car and trailer. Follow the arrows and the car will turn left. As it does so you see the way mark stone and this is pointing the direction of the new route.
If you turn left instead the road will take you up to the N550 and eventually to Hotel Castro. Both routes should end up at Cafe Poligino ;it is just that the new one is much quieter and less dangerous.

Hi Mig,
Thanks! I did enjoy it very much, especially the first few days.

The back of Hotel Castro was on the wooded path which I think is the new route? I did not enter it from the road, but from the woods, and had to go up a few stairs and around to the front entrance. Does that seem to be consistent with what you're saying?

See you soon!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Faith,
I'm pretty sure that you were on the old route. It did pass behind the Castro and then came back to the main road and ran parallel with it (within metres) on a dirt track before turning right to skirt an industrial estate. Castro is the building bottom left under the "F" of Formaris. The line marked in green is the new route so too far behind the hotel to be the path you were on I believe.
It makes no difference other than to show that there may still be an issue with the signposting at the "7km" point. There are no facilities on the new route until cafe Poligino which is where the two meet up again anyway so if you gotta pee go left!:oops:

Screenshot_2017-07-15-22-03-21.png
...and yes, see you very soon. :)

Uff well that's concerning Mig because everyone seemed to be taking the wooded path that led behind the Castro! I do remember the dirt track parallel to the road that then turned right toward the poligono.

You'll need to check it out when you're walking it in a few days and keep us posted. The arrows did seem pretty clear and straightforward the whole way today (although I could've used more of them at times) so it's a bummer we all got that off the track.

We're glad you and John care so much about these details to give us the best information! Thanks! :)

It is not a wrong way, just a different way.I walked it a number of times before the new route was put in place and I assume that the new route was designed because there were a number of places where you were on or very near the main road. I remember walking it in Oct 2011 and it was still quite dark at about 8 in the morning. Main road was not the most comfortable place to be! It is also not very pretty once you get past Castro and the Poligino starts to loom large.

Maybe @JohnnieWalker has a better idea as to whether this is legitimate or not but I will take a look next week. I'll pee in Sigueiro as well so I can go right ;)

I have walked this way a few times and the last couple of times it had changed at the end. It does not take you over the river Sionlla and through O Barral as in the JW guide. It has more or less gone back to the old route by the back of the hotel, it also follows the main road for a bit then goes up a hill until you come out at café bar Poligono. I found it hard to place where it had exactly changed because the way marking was fine. It is more or less as it was in one of the earlier JW guides.

7 kms from Sigueiro

A couple of years ago the route was changed 7 kms from Sigueiro to take it away from the main road to a much more pleasant way to the outskirts of Santiago at the Café Bar Polígono.

This change meant that the route no longer passed by the Hotel Castro. This precipitated an "arrows war" and indeed even the granite marker was moved back. So turn Left to the Hotel Castro and walk by the main road or turn Right then first Left for a quieter way to the Café Bar Polígono a couple of kms further on. All described in the new edition of the CSJ guide.

A pilgrim friend, Jol, (1/2 of the Australian couple that @Purky also met and referenced above) was a day behind me on the trail during the Casa Julia - Bruma stretch. He sent a photo of the truck they saw on the Camino that was removing the concrete waymarks with a hydraulic arm. Jol gave me permission to post here as I thought you'd all get a kick out of it. This was last Friday:

Caminotruck.jpg

Changes in action!

I don't what you all think about the changes that are afoot, but they should be alternative routes for those who want to miss the beautiful hills.

I especially don't like those changes which will take you on or close to the very busy main roads.

Why is there always the urge to fix what isn't broken?

I'm sure that as this route becomes more popular extra facilities will open, but I would be very sad to see the CI over developed like the Camino de Frances. It is a beautiful natural Camino as it is.

I am very glad I got to walk the old route recently. I knew there were changes planned, but wanted to walk the hill and thoroughly enjoyed it. Will it be possible to walk it still, or is the path being moved because the area is being closed off in some way?

There's also some local controversy about the change, as reported today in La Voz de Galicia:

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...o-genera-controversia/0003_201707H20C6994.htm

This morning I heard from a local friend who lives on the route just past Leiro. He reports that the path now turns right at the church, rather than going (kinda) straight. As a result, he actually isn't on the route any longer either.

A pilgrim friend, Jol, (1/2 of the Australian couple that @Purky also met and referenced above) was a day behind me on the trail during the Casa Julia - Bruma stretch. He sent a photo of the truck they saw on the Camino that was removing the concrete waymarks with a hydraulic arm. Jol gave me permission to post here as I thought you'd all get a kick out of it. This was last Friday:

View attachment 35046

Changes in action!

That picture explains why the Xunta clears a path wide enough for a vehicle -- so they can come through and pick up the mojones that they placed a few years ago and now want to put somewhere else.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back