• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Signs of Camino in Toulouse

jgpryde

Time of past OR future Camino
St.Jean-Santiago (2017)
Spending a couple days exploring Toulouse and I came across this yellow arrow very near the bus station. Camino or coincidence?

IMG_4482.JPG

Today I visited the Musée d'Histoire de la Médecine. It is housed in Hótel-Dieu Saint-Jacques which, in the 13th century, was originally a major hospital for pilgrims coming from all over Europe towards Santiago. Thus, the sculpture of St. James over the main entrance.

IMG_4613.JPG

My Camino keeps coming back to me.

B.C.

- jgp

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Toulouse is on the Arles Route, that crosses into Spain over the Somport pass and is one of the four classical pilgrimage routes in France. Just keep walking and Buen Camino, SY

There are yellow arrows marking the Via Tolosana, however they are few and far between. I needed a guidebook with detailed turn instructions to leave Toulouse, and even then became lost several times! Red and white balises also marked the route. I did get to see a lot of Toulouse suburbs while getting lost; very interesting.;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I lived in Toulouse some months, and loved it. Very charming place, with kind people and great food.
Some months ago I wrote A pilgrim's guide to Toulouse and put it in the "resources" section of the forum (it includes the link to detailed maps of the paths through the "Ville Rose"). Comments and amendments are welcomed.
As for signposts, they are of two kinds: the red and white GR strips, and the specific blue and yellow "stars" of the Saint James way, usually placed high, besides the urban signposts. Notice that they do not follow the same way into Toulouse.
upload_2017-6-23_20-25-53.png
I did not see yellow arrows, but I was walking quite distracted by the lovely "peniches" or houseboats in the Canal du Midi. And it was raining...
This is the option I recommend (the Canal, not the rain...)
There is an interesting note (in French) about the diversity of the "Chemin" signposting in France.

Last edited:
Some months ago I wrote A pilgrim's guide to Toulouse and put it in the "resources" section of the forum (it includes the link to detailed maps of the paths through the "Ville Rose"). Comments and amendments are welcomed.
As for signposts, they are of two kinds: the red and white GR strips, and the specific blue and yellow "stars" of the Saint James way, usually placed high, besides the urban signposts. Notice that both does not follow the same way into Toulouse.
There is an interesting note (in French) about the diversity of the "Chemin" signposting in France.

Felipe,

Wow, this is all really interesting information. I should have searched here before I arrived.

I'm off to Montpellier for a couple days now. Thanks for this reply just the same.

Best,

Jason

This post has me conjuring a Camino from Toulouse...conveniently on a train line...but why not begin in Arles (I ask myself!?) starts with a dream and desire.... bon Chemin

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did not see yellow arrows, but I was walking quite distracted by the lovely "peniches" or houseboats in the Canal du Midi. And it was raining...
That route takes you around the airport to the north through Pibrac to Leguevin. It is very convoluted. There also is a more direct route marked south of the airport directly to Leguevin (also through Pibrac), but also convoluted in the residential neighborhoods to avoid restricted access highways. It is a VERY hard city to exit, and the route entry from the southeast bypasses the interesting parts of Toulouse as it heads for the Pont Neuf, so an overnight stay is necessary to see the historic sites. The subway to Pibrac would have avoided all of it, but I was not aware of that option at the time!:)

. There also is a more direct route marked south of the airport directly to Leguevin (also through Pibrac), but also convoluted in the residential neighborhoods to avoid restricted access highways. It is a VERY hard city to exit, and the route entry from the southeast bypasses the interesting parts of Toulouse as it heads for the Pont Neuf, so an overnight stay is necessary to see the historic sites.:)
That's why you need an extra day in Toulouse:)
Yes, leaving the city is not a particularly pleasant walk; so, I included transportation options to Pibrac. Notice that it is not subte; it is a train stop. Pay attention, because it is not announced and the train gives you only a few moments to descent.
Actually, the train stops also in Brax-Leguevin, which is closer to Leguevin (and its albergue); I did not mention it because, well, it is not in the Camino proper:rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.