• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Signs that your Camino is close

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh boy is this thread timely! Today the 10-day weather forecast covers St. Jean Pied de Port for my arrival there! Estoy muy emocionada!

Tomorrow: housecleaning, haircut, leg wax, weigh the pack, and *take some things out, weigh it again* (repeat from * to * until it feels light enough or it's time to go to the airport).

For those keeping score at home, €25 Euros in notes (two tens and a five) weigh 20 grams. Euro coins totaling €4.45 weigh 78.9 grams. Hmmmm.....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Believing and then reneging on the belief that the training has been enough. Dreaming about missed flights (always figure it's good to have an anxiety dream that "covers" that possibility). We're 25 days away from our flight to Paris enroute to SJPP. God only knows what to expect b/n now and the actual departure. ;)

When I move the backpack to the living room, and the cat insists in sleeping over it until my departure, so I can have a furry jacket for my Camino.

I don't wax my legs (good point, though), but taking off the nail polish and cutting nails very short is a last-night preparation as well.

Oh boy is this thread timely! Today the 10-day weather forecast covers St. Jean Pied de Port for my arrival there! Estoy muy emocionada!

Tomorrow: housecleaning, haircut, leg wax, weigh the pack, and *take some things out, weigh it again* (repeat from * to * until it feels light enough or it's time to go to the airport).

For those keeping score at home, €25 Euros in notes (two tens and a five) weigh 20 grams. Euro coins totaling €4.45 weigh 78.9 grams. Hmmmm.....
I think you need to pack a calculator to know how much more/less you are carrying every day!

I don't weigh my bag any more as I know it weighs 2.6K. So I quite miss the daily packing/weighing/unpacking ritual.

To all those nervous nellies out there I am so excited for you I know you will find Peace Buen Camino I wish I was walking this year. But 2016 will come around, is it here yet.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
hm --- interesting question - and my response also surprised me: The camino never feels not close.
the departure date might be some time off - that's a different issue. But the camino always does feel close. I keep meeting pilgrims (not the ones I've met on the camino) but who walked other routes and times, and we connect ...with great ease. quite marvelous indeed.
And soon, when in the UK for 14 days, godwilling, other encounters with pilgrims will come about that i am looking forward to mucho. such a blessing.

thank you for asking this question - made me realize in another form just how deeply the camino has become part of my life.... or as I call it: "has pitched its tent underneath my skin' - always there.... (same with some people i cherish ....and who have pitched there tent under my skin ;-) their presence is always there/felt ... as much as the camino/spirit of the camino.)
on a practical level --- i suppose it's when i'd start to created lists w/ checkmarks next to words/sentences :rolleyes:
buen camino -

cant match the leg waxing but DID shave the skull:) AND started speaking spanish to my favourite barrista in the cafe i use! she being Polish and me being Irish the results are pretty predictable :) But the best bit is having gone on line and done the online check-in and printed off the boarding pass, one gets up in the middle of the night just to have a peek at it n then sneak back to bed mangling one's mirth lest the white coated ones come and getcha!

the malingerer
:rolleyes:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Leaving a week from today and start my Camino shortly after !! So excited and nervous ! Did I train enough I ask myself? Is my pack to heavy, should I re-evaluate everything again? Do I know enough Spanish to get by?? How do I see all the things I want to see?? Experience all the things I want to experience. How do I find the path that diverts from the most used one and then find my way again? I don't want to rely on one guidebook because there are so many other ways and places and things ...... lol
For those of you who live with relatively easy access to Spain some of the answers are that you will do it "next time" etc. but when you have to travel 1/2 way around the globe you want to do it all now in case there isn't a next time available.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Forget the leg waxing, I'm getting a hair cut and going to the dentist! Because I'm not taking any pictures of my legs..... :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm with you on this one! Plus worried about that new ache in my hip and learning new yoga stretches!
Believing and then reneging on the belief that the training has been enough. Dreaming about missed flights (always figure it's good to have an anxiety dream that "covers" that possibility). We're 25 days away from our flight to Paris enroute to SJPP. God only knows what to expect b/n now and the actual departure. ;)

I'm trusting all will be well! That I've trained enough, That no one will care if my legs are hairy, That I have time to be slow if I need to so my knees and hip will be fine. That I will meet fantastic people and see what I was meant to see. Trusting the process. But acknowledging that I'm nervous and have no idea what will happen and that my biggest challenge is letting go! !

"Interviewing" the special stones you have been collecting to accompany you to see which one is 'the' one and very sad to say .... weighing them!:eek::rolleyes::p
I nearly forgot the stone! So i was leaving in the dark at 3am on way to airport scrounging around the driveway with my iPhone as atorch to find one! I'm I transit right now!

I nearly forgot the stone! So i was leaving in the dark at 3am on way to airport scrounging around the driveway with my iPhone as atorch to find one! I'm I transit right now!
did anyone collect stones before a certain film or book was released? after all u will be standing on millions of the damn things! my favourite piece of lunacy at the moment is counting my euros by candlelight and i have three weeks to go!:)
the malingerer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm trusting all will be well! That I've trained enough, That no one will care if my legs are hairy, That I have time to be slow if I need to so my knees and hip will be fine. That I will meet fantastic people and see what I was meant to see. Trusting the process. But acknowledging that I'm nervous and have no idea what will happen and that my biggest challenge is letting go! !
I can assure you on one will care if your legs are hairy.... :)

Find my travel wallet and make sure I have Passport, Euro's, Medical insurance card, travel credit card, travel ATM card and Spanish phone.

When my mind says "Enough already" with the planning and angst. Feet are saying "Let's go". Nine days to go though.
Today is 9 for me too. Unfortunately my 91 year old Mom fell in the bathroom last night. Luckily only slight bruising but cause for concern that she is going through one of her "Unsteady on her feet" patches after her pain killers have been changed. Still, we normally get the dosage right in a few days after a change so all being well I should still manage lift off.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks Tia. I expect it will be OK. We go through these episodes quite often and I have never had to postpone yet. We have come close to doing so and no doubt it will happen one day. Let's just hope not this time as I am really looking forward to revisiting the Ingles.

Today is 9 for me too. Unfortunately my 91 year old Mom fell in the bathroom last night. Luckily only slight bruising but cause for concern that she is going through one of her "Unsteady on her feet" patches after her pain killers have been changed. Still, we normally get the dosage right in a few days after a change so all being well I should still manage lift off.
Thoughts are with you. My mother is 95 and although she is stable, it tugs that I will be so far away. I hope all resolves for your mother quickly.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just got my "Camino Cut" today...shorter than my hair has been for a long time.

It's okay, it will grow back. Wish I could say that about mine.:rolleyes:

Thoughts are with you. My mother is 95 and although she is stable, it tugs that I will be so far away. I hope all resolves for your mother quickly.

This rings close to home for me. We just moved my 93-year old Dad into a care center. I'm close with my Dad. If he could tell me, I know that he'd want me to finish my Camino regardless of what happens with him.

This rings close to home for me. We just moved my 93-year old Dad into a care center. I'm close with my Dad. If he could tell me, I know that he'd want me to finish my Camino regardless of what happens with him.
He will be close to you always. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for your kind thoughts people. Hard time for you Tom and you have my sympathy. I occasionally drop into a heavier care mode than normal and dread when it becoming a more permanent state. But hopefully we still have some quality time ahead together. May the Camino ease your pain and guide you forward.

When the stiffness in my left achilles tendon goes from a 'it will be all right' to 'what are those excercises again?'
Ooohhh, this hits quite close to "the bone"....my (quiet for years) Morton's neuroma has begun to make trouble again. Less than 3 weeks to deal with it before we launch. Am surmising it may be boot related a/o that my feet already have begun lengthening as a result of all the training distance with loaded pack and boots. Fingers crossed for both of us. Buen Camino.

Well my trip only came together less than 2 weeks before my departure date, so I've gone from being disappointed that I wasn't going to make it again this year to full on GO! GO! GO! Went out to replace some of my worn gear last night, got my camino haircut yesterday (decided to go with a totally crazy faux-mohawk style because it's meant to be messy - no fussing or styling needed - plus shaved sides = way cooler!), still haven't bought my travel medical insurance (eek!) or my train ticket down to Paris (double eek!). I know my training wasn't enough because I just did occasional hikes (but 20km on the flat is pretty easy for me now so that's much better than last time). I'd say I'm in more of a panic than a relaxing and letting go. I'll just be so relieved to actually get to St. Jean!

€60,-
We're one week away! Having felt like "forever" it's now realistically close at hand--our first Camino! Feeling excited and simultaneously newly calm. What will be will be. A few days ago in a grocery store far from our own home, I saw a woman with a Camino t-shirt and just blurted out a hello to her. We had a wonderful conversation and I felt an immediate kinship and an inkling of what it must feel like to be part of such a community of souls. Buen camino to you Tara.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.