• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Silk liner or sleeping bag, sun hat or umbrella?

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
I'm currently looking over my stuff and don't know if I shall bring my light sleeping bag (440 g) or a silk liner (151 g) for Mozarábe/VdLP/Sanábres in September/October. I guess I'll be fine with the liner in mid Spain in September but how for the northern parts in October? I have brought the sleeping bag on my previous caminos and mostly slept on top of it except for Foncébadon in September where I was freezing a lot.

I have a sun hat but I'm considering a cap+ sun umbrella (that I attach to my backpack) instead. What would you recommend? Will I risk so much sun/heat that an umbrella is necessary or is it just dead weight?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm currently looking over my stuff and don't know if I shall bring my light sleeping bag (440 g) or a silk liner (151 g) for Mozarábe/VdLP/Sanábres in September/October. I guess I'll be fine with the liner in mid Spain in September but how for the northern parts in October? I have brought the sleeping bag on my previous caminos and mostly slept on top of it except for Foncébadon in September where I was freezing a lot.

I have a sun hat but I'm considering a cap+ sun umbrella (that I attach to my backpack) instead. What would you recommend? Will I risk so much sun/heat that an umbrella is necessary or is it just dead weight?

The bag vs liner decision can be looked at by how you compensate for being too cold or too hot during its use; ie can you comfortably wear extra layers when you are a bit too cool?

The umbrella is a multi-tasker. It can be used to replace a rain jacket/pack cover or poncho. That will save a bit of weight. Or if not a weight saver, would not add any weight. :)

Personally, I use a wide brimmed hat that can absorb water. If it gets very hot, I carry extra water and periodically soak the hat. If one takes an umbrella, then one is schlepping it on each stage.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It gets cold from Salamanca onwards, and October can be wet and cold so we always take a compact sleeping bag and layer up with merino top and leggings if need extra warmth. Albergues do have blankets but they tend to be acyrlic (for washing I presume) but I don't like them.

Do take a hat, even with an umbrella you still need a hat. I use a towling/linen bucket hat with a brim wide enoug to shade my nose and ears. Can dunk it in water to cool down, doesn't mind being squashed or sat on, and if it's cold it also helps keep m head warm.

The bag vs liner decision can be looked at by how you compensate for being too cold or too hot during its use; ie can you comfortably wear extra layers when you are a bit too cool?

The umbrella is a multi-tasker. It can be used to replace a rain jacket/pack cover or poncho. That will save a bit of weight. Or if not a weight saver, would not add any weight. :)
Exactly what Dave wrote.

I have kinda of taste for Southern Caminos and am also thinking of purchasing hand-free umbrella. A lot of sun, scarce shade, hot...
Anyway @BeatriceKarjalainen you are Scandinavian and I guess not easily cold so I would suggest a liner. Nights on Sanabres might be a little bit colder but I think nothing you can't survive with putting on additional layer of clothes.

Buen Camino!

That is a personal choice, I suppose. An umbrella, may provide added protection from sun and rain, but once it gets windy, they are added wait. I bring a bonnie hat with neck protection and a base ball cap. The Bonnie hat is used for hot weather and sun. If it’s very hot I wet the entire hat, and let the sun dry it...then I re-wet it as needed. The baseball cap with an attached chord I used under my rain hood to protect my eyes from the water.

I also bring lite plastic eye (glass) protectors to protect my glasses and eyes from wind and rain. They are 10 dollars in Lowe’s. If it’s sunny, I use a large pair of sunglasses over my own eyeglasses. Those plastic construction worker glasses worked brilliantly in 75km winds last March. I experienced little Pebbles hitting the glasses, but my eyes were completely protected whereas I saw others trying to shield their eyes with their hands. They also provide an extra layer of protection from pollen. My eyes do not burn and they do not fog up my glasses.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will bring my rain jacket and pants and rain cover for the bag, prefer that plus a cap/hat if it is windy. As the rain jacket + a fleece is my upper extra layer.

I think I'll try to hike with one of my umbrellas to see how It feels as I walk quite fast. I have a Outdoor research hat with rain cover, it has a quite wide brim. Used it on Camino Inglés in a light drizzle.
IMG_20130914_083853.jpg

But I looked at the Arc'teryx Sinsola Hat as it has a smaller brim in the back so it doesn't touch the backpack.

An autumn camino south to north is troublesome as It sounds like I'll start out in blazing sun and end up in a freezing cold. I'm not so interested in carrying merino leggings etc in the heat. I hike in long skirt (carry a pair of zip pants also) so it mean I might need to buy some stuff on the road.

Have to think some more about liner vs sleeping bag. As I don't really know what to put on, pants and the fleece?

That is a personal choice, I suppose. An umbrella, may provide added protection from sun and rain, but once it gets windy, they are added wait. I bring a bonnie hat with neck protection and a base ball cap. The Bonnie hat is used for hot weather and sun. If it’s very hot I wet the entire hat, and let the sun dry it...then I re-wet it as needed. The baseball cap with an attached chord I used under my rain hood to protect my eyes from the water.

I also bring lite plastic eye (glass) protectors to protect my glasses and eyes from wind and rain. They are 10 dollars in Lowe’s. If it’s sunny, I use a large pair of sunglasses over my own eyeglasses. Those plastic construction worker glasses worked brilliantly in 75km winds last March. I experienced little Pebbles hitting the glasses, but my eyes were completely protected whereas I saw others trying to shield their eyes with their hands. They also provide an extra layer of protection from pollen. My eyes do not burn and they do not fog up my glasses.
I have both glasses and sun glasses (with prescription) with with me. A cap is usually enough to protect the eyeglasses from rain or just stumble in blindness for a while :) I will not use the umbrella for rain I prefer rain clothes for that as it can be windy.

Take the silk liner and the sleepingbag and the rainhat.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will bring my rain jacket and pants and rain cover for the bag, prefer that plus a cap/hat if it is windy. As the rain jacket + a fleece is my upper extra layer.

I think I'll try to hike with one of my umbrellas to see how It feels as I walk quite fast. I have a Outdoor research hat with rain cover, it has a quite wide brim. Used it on Camino Inglés in a light drizzle.
View attachment 45343

But I looked at the Arc'teryx Sinsola Hat as it has a smaller brim in the back so it doesn't touch the backpack.

An autumn camino south to north is troublesome as It sounds like I'll start out in blazing sun and end up in a freezing cold. I'm not so interested in carrying merino leggings etc in the heat. I hike in long skirt (carry a pair of zip pants also) so it mean I might need to buy some stuff on the road.

Have to think some more about liner vs sleeping bag. As I don't really know what to put on, pants and the fleece?

I use a baseball-type cap with an attached 'sun flap' or cape in back. Doesn't bang on the pack and provides great sun protection. When not needed, the flap just tucks inside the hat.

If I would do it during this time, I will take a silk liner till Salamanca, then go to the huge Decathlon there to buy a very light weight, very inexpensive, indoor bag, which I have seen Spanish pilgrims used on the VDIP and in all of its stores; use them both if needed when it will get very cold on the Sanabres. By the way, along the way, Merida has a big one out of the city center, Caceres has a small one in the city center. I found this store has items only a portion of the prices of REI in US or other outdoor stores in other countries. It is a good place to restock for cold weather clothes instead of bring them at the very beginning.

The poly liner I bought only cost about 8 euros.

As for the umbrella, it was super helpful for me, but the first day out of Salamanca one bone was broken by the wind. This was the German made one, has both hands free and regular version sold in Amazon. I found the wind was a bit too strong at certain sections afterwards. I even considered buying a puncho since I did not bring a rain jacket, or a pair of rain pants, only a bag cover. A bag cover is must even with an umbrella. In the end, my umbrella broken one more time, fortunately I had avoided any heavy rain.

For the earlier windless section on tbe VDIP, I may consider MontBell, a Japanese company, ultra light trekking umbrella, lighter and more compact than the German one, can order it online.

I had a wide beam MontBell hat, too. I like their products.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Personally, I use a wide brimmed hat that can absorb water. If it gets very hot, I carry extra water and periodically soak the hat. If one takes an umbrella, then one is schlepping it on each stage.
I do the same with my hat. You could wear a thin scarf under it to add to the shade to your cheeks and neck. I carry my local rugby club flag as it also doubles for other things (like for an awning when resting/picnics etc.)
I have walked in the north a lot in September but not in October. I always manage with a silk liner but then again I "run hot" as a rule anyway. I think that it depends on your personal warmness as to whether you are OK with it. You can always put a coat/blanket over it or wear more inside it.
Weight is weight!

If I would do it during this time, I will take a silk liner till Salamanca, then go to the huge Decathlon there to buy a very light weight, very inexpensive, indoor bag, which I have seen Spanish pilgrims used on the VDIP and in all of its stores; use them both if needed when it will get very cold on the Sanabres. By the way, along the way, Merida has a big one out of the city center, Caceres has a small one in the city center. I found this store has items only a portion of the prices of REI in US or other outdoor stores in other countries. It is a good place to restock for cold weather clothes instead of bring them at the very beginning.

The poly liner I bought only cost about 8 euros.
Thanks for that, good to know that I can restock on the way. It might be the best option if it gets cold. I live high up in the north so I'm pretty used to cold but I don't like to freeze :)

As for the umbrella, it was super helpful for me, but the first day out of Salamanca one bone was broken by the wind. This was the German made one, has both hands free and regular version sold in Amazon. I found the wind was a bit too strong at certain sections afterwards. I even considered buying a puncho since I did not bring a rain jacket, or a pair of rain pants, only a bag cover. A bag cover is must even with an umbrella. In the end, my umbrella broken one more time, fortunately I had avoided any heavy rain.

For the earlier windless section on tbe VDIP, I may consider MontBell, a Japanese company, ultra light trekking umbrella, lighter and more compact than the German one, can order it online.

I had a wide beam MontBell hat, too. I like their products.
I'll bring my rain gear as usual and the backpack cover, they are a part of my standard equipment. In my case the umbrella is considered only for sun protection. I had no problem with attaching my ordinary umbrella to my backpack with a velcro strap and tucked under my breast strap. Byt it weights 240 g so I have been looking at the Montbell UL umbrella https://euro.montbell.com/products/disp.php?cat_id=14073&p_id=1128551 as I read this post about size and reflective coting or not https://www.thehikinglife.com/2016/01/review-montbell-ul-trekking-umbrella/. But it is quite expensive (as all UL stuff). Did you use the umbrella for sun or rain?

I do the same with my hat. You could wear a thin scarf under it to add to the shade to your cheeks and neck. I carry my local rugby club flag as it also doubles for other things (like for an awning when resting/picnics etc.)
I have walked in the north a lot in September but not in October. I always manage with a silk liner but then again I "run hot" as a rule anyway. I think that it depends on your personal warmness as to whether you are OK with it. You can always put a coat/blanket over it or wear more inside it.
Weight is weight!
I also soak my hat/cap when It is warm but if you walk in heat with very few options for water for long distances you might not want to spend your water on that? I always bring a silk vail/scarf that I can use for some shade in the neck as well. When walking to Sahagún I had it as a turban soak in water now and then.
IMG_20130824_132933.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Take the silk liner and the sleepingbag and the rainhat.
And an umbrella and the rain gear and then hire a mule t carry it all. I want to keep my stuff as light as possible to be able to bring my way to heavy camera. And I have some back problems that restrain me from carrying to much. So no...

For rain I have my rain jacket, my question was about sun shade. Is it worth to carry an umbrella instead of a sunhat.

And an umbrella and the rain gear and then hire a mule t carry it all. I want to keep my stuff as light as possible to be able to bring my way to heavy camera. And I have some back problems that restrain me from carrying to much. So no...

For rain I have my rain jacket, my question was about sun shade. Is it worth to carry an umbrella instead of a sunhat.
I meant the sunhat instead of the umbrella

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But why carrying both silk liner and the sleeping bag? This is btw the sleeping bag I use https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/helium-solo-regular so I really hope I don't need both at the same time, less than 14 C indoors?
I think this sleeping bag is waaay to warm (for me personally - hot) for Sept/Oct anywhere in Spain. Also a lot of albergues do have blankets but there's this thing about the blankets that they can be a hiding place for bedbugs ;)

My trekking umbrella, Euroschirm, is very light already, with UV coating can be both for sun and rain, much lighter than a regular umbrella, people hike PCT use it, but as far as I know Montbell is the lightest and most compact. This regular Euroschirm is longer than my backpack, Osprey Tempest 40, length wise.

By the way, silk liner + the very light bag that I mentioned from Decathlon, possibly for 20C, not for outdoor use, seemed still be lighter than a regular sleeping bag, unless you get a really expensive ultra light bag. Maybe you can go on to their website to take a look. I was very surprised about the weight and low price when a pilgrim showed it to me. I had never shopped at this chain store before and did not know much about its products till this Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm currently looking over my stuff and don't know if I shall bring my light sleeping bag (440 g) or a silk liner (151 g) for Mozarábe/VdLP/Sanábres in September/October. I guess I'll be fine with the liner in mid Spain in September but how for the northern parts in October? I have brought the sleeping bag onapmcy prereatervious caminos and mostly slept on top of it except for Foncébadon in September where I was freezing a lot.ler

It's always a little dicy during season transitions. If you are bit of a gambler, take a silk liner as alburges generally have blankets if the weather turns chilly. If you prefer greater certainty, go with a light weight bag. A hat is a personal preference. I took both but ended up waring my ball cap for 9/10's of the journey.

The umbrella is a multi-tasker. It can be used to replace a rain jacket/pack cover or poncho.
I use an umbrella, but I also bring a poncho. There is no way that an umbrella can provide the same amount of protection from the rain as a poncho, especially sideways windy rain.
For sleeping I use a silk liner, and this tiny superlight down blanket from Montbell https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1124593 Tucked inside the silk liner it adds just enough extra warmth. This combo weighs just around 350 grams.

I know what you mean about the north south thing, doing the walk over Autumn means why you avoid the heat you are on the cusp of weather change so do end up needing flexibility with your wardrobe. So don't write off merino, it's not the heavy old wool long johns of the past. We use lightweight merino both on the farm and on the Camino, slips in nicely under your summer clothes and extends their use to cope with the cold. Also useful under your rain pants or as warm layer when you go to bed. We use the no stink icebreaker merino as its fine and non scratch, but there are brands to try. Have a great walk, may see you out there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know what you mean about the north south thing, doing the walk over Autumn means why you avoid the heat you are on the cusp of weather change so do end up needing flexibility with your wardrobe. So don't write off merino, it's not the heavy old wool long johns of the past. We use lightweight merino both on the farm and on the Camino, slips in nicely under your summer clothes and extends their use to cope with the cold. Also useful under your rain pants or as warm layer when you go to bed. We use the no stink icebreaker merino as its fine and non scratch, but there are brands to try. Have a great walk, may see you out there.

I do wear merino t-shirt (icebreaker) and a long-sleeve (silk/merino blend from Houdini, the best) and I own a lot of merino long johns but I can't really see myself adding that extra weight during the south part of the walk.

Lightweight merino wool is the best for the heat!
I prefer bare legs under the skirt if it is hot.

I think this sleeping bag is waaay to warm (for me personally - hot) for Sept/Oct anywhere in Spain. Also a lot of albergues do have blankets but there's this thing about the blankets that they can be a hiding place for bedbugs ;)
As I said previous I usually sleep on top of it :) So I might leave it at home this time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Silk liner and broad brim Tilly have worked well for me on two Caminos, 2012 and 15 both in Oct.

For this year's CI I took a Boonie hat with a legionnaire flap but ran a wire inside the rim so I could fashion it into a rain gutter

1534344250242.png

It poured with rain for the whole of one day and I was steamed in my Altus raincoat.

Next time I'd go the same way but "kilt up" the skirt of the Altus so it's more like a jacket and leave the hood down.

I will be on the Mozarabe/Via de Plata/Sansbres starting in late August from Alemeria. I am bringing a silk liner (which I have on three other camino), a broad brimmed hat, and an umbrella for both sun and rain. Hope to cross paths on the way to Santiago

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I was cold on the Sanabrés in June (from Salamanca in fact) so I would take a sleeping bag.
The cap and the umbrella is a good combination ....I take those when I know it is going to be very hot.... But in Sept/Oct.? Hard to tell as the weather is pretty crazy at the mo... Personally I would just take the sun hat and a light rain jacket...

After finishing my Norte last summer, I would say: (insert Godfather voice here:) take the sleeping bag, leave the umbrella.
A hat (with a wide brim, or better -IMHO- a baseball cap and milti-funct. bandana/tube bandana) is more than enough.

After finishing my Norte last summer, I would say: (insert Godfather voice here:) take the sleeping bag, leave the umbrella.
A hat (with a wide brim, or better -IMHO- a baseball cap and milti-funct. bandana/tube bandana) is more than enough.
I did Norte 2016 in July/August and I slept on top of the sleeping bag almost all nights. One night I was totally out of energy then I needed the sleeping bag and a blanket.

I have used a cap and a scarf or my sunhat on my other caminos but I might end up in much warmer weather with long stretches without shade in southern Spain in mid September. I did have 42 C at my first day on Norte and remembering dining into shades as much as I could between Biarritz aand Irún. So I more want to hear from people who has walked the Via de la Plata or Mozarabe as the conditions are a little bit different from the northern caminos. I did have some sunny days on the Meseta that might be similar to long stretches without shade I guess.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was cold on the Sanabrés in June (from Salamanca in fact) so I would take a sleeping bag.
The cap and the umbrella is a good combination ....I take those when I know it is going to be very hot.... But in Sept/Oct.? Hard to tell as the weather is pretty crazy at the mo... Personally I would just take the sun hat and a light rain jacket...
But will it be to warm from Almería to Salamanca? Bringing liner and buy a sleeping bag in Salamanca?
The weather charts for southern Spain says still a lot of sun and warm weather in the middle of September. This walking from summer weather to fall in 6 weeks is hard to pack for :-/ I might skip the idea of an umbrella and buy myself a sleeping bag on the way. Well well still over 20 days to decide and check the weather forecasts.

So I more want to hear from people who has walked the Via de la Plata or Mozarabe as the conditions are a little bit different from the northern caminos. I did have some sunny days on the Meseta that might be similar to long stretches without shade I guess.

Fair enough, it rained 60% of my way from Hendaye and Ribadeo. On the days in between it was fiendishly hot, so I got the worst of both. My poncho was my most valuable and most used item of clothing after my trusty socks, and I'll never try doing a camino without one. On the hot days, I did exactly what you mentioned and got out of the heat - an umbrella would have been an energy-sapping mission to hold and I can't imagine trying to walk with one. A friend of mine did VdP and basically said everyone was up at 4am and done by 11 to avoid the heat in August.

If you decide to go the route of a liner, be sure you like the feeling of silk on your skin. Otherwise save yourself the money and just treat one of your ordinary duvet covers with permethrin.

Buen Camino!

Fair enough, it rained 60% of my way from Hendaye and Ribadeo. On the days in between it was fiendishly hot, so I got the worst of both. My poncho was my most valuable and most used item of clothing after my trusty socks, and I'll never try doing a camino without one. On the hot days, I did exactly what you mentioned and got out of the heat - an umbrella would have been an energy-sapping mission to hold and I can't imagine trying to walk with one. A friend of mine did VdP and basically said everyone was up at 4am and done by 11 to avoid the heat in August.

If you decide to go the route of a liner, be sure you like the feeling of silk on your skin. Otherwise save yourself the money and just treat one of your ordinary duvet covers with permethrin.

Buen Camino!
I have had my share of rain om the Inglés and Primitivo. Had some on Norte as well But I walk in rain gear or just get wet if it is still warm (but with sealskinz in my feet). The umbrella would not be in the hand, it would be attached to the backpack. Getting into shade is the best but if there isn’t any shade for 30 km? Up 4 and walk 3-3.5 h in darkness well then I could stay home instead and just wait for the winter when the sun only gets up for one hour or so ;-) so no thanks that is not a solution I prefer. I also walk long days as I tend to walk 25-40 km/day.

I have used my silk liner on travels before so that is not a problem. And my sleeping gown is a big silk scarf used as a sarong. A duvet cover is more than twice the weight of my sleeping bag so no it will not be an option for reducing weight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

This is a personal call. Since you have a Camino under your belt, you know silk liners are ideal for warmer climes into October. If you are leaning towards a liner, I think you are safe knowing alburge's have blankets for chillier nights. Take a ball cap or sun hat and leave the umbrella home so your hands are free. Tally-Ho!

Getting into shade is the best but if there isn’t any shade for 30 km? Up 4 and walk 3-3.5 h in darkness well then I could stay home instead and just wait for the winter when the sun only gets up for one hour or so ;-) ...

You're the one who asked what people on VdP do...;)

A duvet cover is more than twice the weight of my sleeping bag so no it will not be an option for reducing weight.

Where the heck did you find a sleeping bag that light??? My fleecy winter duvet covers run at around 380g...

I also must admit, as someone with so much Camino experience, having done 2+ already, I'm confused as to why you're asking these kinds of questions. You've done a Norte, so you're probably well versed in both high heat and freezing/wet conditions. That knowledge should be enough to help you decide. In the end, all other experiences and opinions shared here are theoretical since no one can predict the conditions you will have nor how your body and spirit will match them.

I'd say go with your gut and plan an extra 70-100€ into your emergency budget in case you need to swap out equipment on the way.

This is a personal call. Since you have a Camino under your belt, you know silk liners are ideal for warmer climes into October. If you are leaning towards a liner, I think you are safe knowing alburge's have blankets for chillier nights. Take a ball cap or sun hat and leave the umbrella home so your hands are free. Tally-Ho!
Hands will be free if umbrella is fastened on the backpack :). Yes I lean towards bringing silk liner and buy a sleeping bag if necessary.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You're the one who asked what people on VdP do...;)

Where the heck did you find a sleeping bag that light??? My fleecy winter duvet covers run at around 380g...

I also must admit, as someone with so much Camino experience, having done 2+ already, I'm confused as to why you're asking these kinds of questions. You've done a Norte, so you're probably well versed in both high heat and freezing/wet conditions. That knowledge should be enough to help you decide. In the end, all other experiences and opinions shared here are theoretical since no one can predict the conditions you will have nor how your body and spirit will match them.

I'd say go with your gut and plan an extra 70-100€ into your emergency budget in case you need to swap out equipment on the way.
Hav never seen a fleecy duvet cover the once I have home are around 1 kg my sleeping bag (comfy to 14 C) is 440 g.

Well I asked for advice from people who as walked south to north as there is a climate change on the way when doing it Sept-Oct. I got the info in this thread that there will be a large sportsware store in Salamanca and I didn’t know that. That would probably be a good place to get the warm stuff needed (if needed).

I have walked all my caminos in summer some of CF was in September but still warm and have had approximately 5-6 days of rain (but there was no question about rain at all in my OP) in total and I froze in Foncebadon in the “yoga barn” at the albergue and I froze on Norte after a day with almost no food and a long distance walked (wrapped my self up in sleeping bag and 2 fleece blankets). So with that experience I was leaning to just silk liner but I also know that at some point I’ll reach Galicia in the end of October and thought I might need my sleeping bag then but carrying in for 1000 km first for that need? Regarding the umbrella I wanted advice from those who has an experience of long days in blazing sun with no shade, will it be better than just a sun hat /cap. As I have only experienced a day or so under such condition and didn’t have an umbrella with me to test how much it actually lowers the temperature and if it reduce your speed a lot. I guess blazing sun doesn’t come with strong winds at the same time but I don’t know as I have never been to southern Spain.

Here is a newbies 2 cents worth.
I am leaving for my 1st Camino, the Frances in 2 weeks :eek: and have decided to take a broad brimmed hat and an umbrella, I have rigged some ties to fit it to my pack straps so it will be hands free. I do not do well in the sun even with good sunnies and a hat. I also think it will be handy in light rain.
For sleeping I'm taking a silk sleep sak (100g) and a down quilt (400g) we will be walking into mid October and to me there are few things worse than trying to sleep when you are cold.

Ever since I discovered the beauty of a reflective trekking umbrella, rain kilt and dirty girl gaiter from people who hiked the Pacific Crest Trail, as well as hiking shoes, I adopted the trekking umbrella and hiking shoes, have not had the chance to use the other two, but would considered it for primitive. No route on the camino is harder than PCT through hike from the unforgiving desert at the Mexico border to the cold wet Canadian border, if it works there, it is really tested.

I would not use this trekking umbrella hiking in the pacific north west, however, Southern Spain or any where with potential 35+c degree, I would not go without. The real temperature on the exposed shadeless dirt road definitely was a few degree higher than the forecasted temperature. The constant shade provided by the umbrella, on the contrary, reduced the temperature by a few degrees, I could sit down any time, any where I needed without looking for a shade which was hard to find and it also reduced my need of water consumption significantly. Last but not the least, it was also handy using as a cover at roadside restroom stops. The benefits of it totally justifies carrying this <200gram for me.

Another option is using a really cheap regular folded umbrella in the south and leave it behind at Salamanca or anytime it gets broken. Same method to attach to the backpack for hands free.

Also can consider rain kilt, rain jacket and bag cover combination to replace poncho and rain pants. The rain kilt was much lighter than a pair of rain pants, maybe only 3 Ozs, can't remember.

As for getting up at 4am on the VDlP in summer, the day light was around 6:30-6:45am for July/Aug. Have met people leaving at 5am, definitely not daily. Have not heard or met one left at 4am. The hottest time of the day is around 4pm to 6pm, from 6am to 4pm you got solid 10 hours.

In addition, if one leaves at 4am, probably will not get any service before 10am, that is 6 hours without a cafe or shop, even if there is one there. I remember on the Frances, if 10km without any service, it was a big deal. On the VDlP that is very common, even 15km without service is not uncommon.

Lightweight umbrella a must. I use it often both from the sun ( remembering cloudless shameless days around Merida and the few days after Salamanca) and the rain ( always walking into SdC in October plus plus).

Lightweight umbrella a must. I use it often both from the sun ( remembering cloudless shameless days around Merida and the few days after Salamanca) and the rain ( always walking into SdC in October plus plus).
That's shadeless thanks spellcheck :)

Ever since I discovered the beauty of a reflective trekking umbrella, rain kilt and dirty girl gaiter from people who hiked the Pacific Crest Trail, as well as hiking shoes, I adopted the trekking umbrella and hiking shoes, have not had the chance to use the other two, but would considered it for primitive. No route on the camino is harder than PCT through hike from the unforgiving desert at the Mexico border to the cold wet Canadian border, if it works there, it is really tested.

I would not use this trekking umbrella hiking in the pacific north west, however, Southern Spain or any where with potential 35+c degree, I would not go without. The real temperature on the exposed shadeless dirt road definitely was a few degree higher than the forecasted temperature. The constant shade provided by the umbrella, on the contrary, reduced the temperature by a few degrees, I could sit down any time, any where I needed without looking for a shade which was hard to find and it also reduced my need of water consumption significantly. Last but not the least, it was also handy using as a cover at roadside restroom stops. The benefits of it totally justifies carrying this <200gram for me.

Another option is using a really cheap regular folded umbrella in the south and leave it behind at Salamanca or anytime it gets broken. Same method to attach to the backpack for hands free.

Also can consider rain kilt, rain jacket and bag cover combination to replace poncho and rain pants. The rain kilt was much lighter than a pair of rain pants, maybe only 3 Ozs, can't remember.

As for getting up at 4am on the VDlP in summer, the day light was around 6:30-6:45am for July/Aug. Have met people leaving at 5am, definitely not daily. Have not heard or met one left at 4am. The hottest time of the day is around 4pm to 6pm, from 6am to 4pm you got solid 10 hours.

In addition, if one leaves at 4am, probably will not get any service before 10am, that is 6 hours without a cafe or shop, even if there is one there. I remember on the Frances, if 10km without any service, it was a big deal. On the VDlP that is very common, even 15km without service is not uncommon.
Thanks for your informative post. I have a rain kilt but I have used the trousers on the camino as I hike in skirt (long) and like that I know that I have some wind protection for the legs in my backpack if needed. The same for a rain jacket that I can use in cold evenings with the fleece under it. A long wide skit is also good for roadside restroom cover but an umbrella is surely a good shield. I have a small umbrella that weights just 156 g with open diameter of 75 cm from panel to panel and 89 cm from rib to rib so It might be to small. Montbell UL that some recommends is 88 cm and their chrome version is 98. None of the light versions of umbrellas seems to be available to Sweden if not ordering from US or from Switzerland and then I also get VAT and Customs fees on the price :-/

Gaiters are great but I walk in sandals and have gore-tex socks in heavy rain.

Thanks for the info about the wake up time, 6-7 seems more reasonable than 4 :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
- an umbrella would have been an energy-sapping mission to hold and I can't imagine trying to walk with one. A friend of mine did VdP and basically said everyone was up at 4am and done by 11 to avoid the heat in August.
!

It is dark at 4am! People did that too on the CF this year and it wasn’t even hot :oops:
Enough to put you off albergues for life! :D
If the weather forecast is still for high temperatures, then I’d take the umbrella. It does make a big difference, I don’t think I could have walked without it on the VF last July/August. I used it when it rained too (didn’t bring the poncho to save weight). My only concern is when you’re in a thunderstorm..... mmm
And buy a sleeping bag when it gets cooler?
Sorry I cannot be of more help, I’d be in a dilemna too :)

As I have only experienced a day or so under such condition and didn’t have an umbrella with me to test how much it actually lowers the temperature and if it reduce your speed a lot. I guess blazing sun doesn’t come with strong winds at the same time but I don’t know as I have never been to southern Spain.

An umbrella -when in strong sun and high temperatures - makes ALL the difference.
I used mine in strong winds too and it held up great.
I am not sure if it slows you down, not once you’re walking.... You just have to stop and put it up but I got quite used to doing it whilst walking ;)

@BeatriceKarjalainen
I walked the VdlP from October 3 to November 21 last fall. It was very hot from Seville to around Salamanca: high temperatures in the mid 30's every day. You may meet higher temperatures starting in September. My Tilley hat was adequate for protecting my head from the sun and I used a 600 g. sleeping bag (open or zipped) every night, with the addition of a blanket one or two nights on the Sanabres. I never use a silk liner, since my uncomfortable experience of a borrowed one when I was walking in New Zealand a few years ago: tied up in knots so I could hardly move. I had good rain gear: jacket, rain pants, a pack cover, but very little rain fell. The pants doubled for an extra warm layer over my walking trousers. I do not think that blankets were available every night in the Sanabres albergues and I would not want to just have a silk liner for warmth, unless you carry or purchase warm clothing to wear inside your silk liner to keep warm at night. However, I think that your general speed of walking will be a definite advantage, as the difference in temperatures between when you start in the south and when you arrive in Santiago will not be as significant as for someone who takes longer on the journey. Buen camino.

@BeatriceKarjalainen
I walked the VdlP from October 3 to November 21 last fall. It was very hot from Seville to around Salamanca: high temperatures in the mid 30's every day. You may meet higher temperatures starting in September. My Tilley hat was adequate for protecting my head from the sun and I used a 600 g. sleeping bag (open or zipped) every night, with the addition of a blanket one or two nights on the Sanabres. I never use a silk liner, since my uncomfortable experience of a borrowed one when I was walking in New Zealand a few years ago: tied up in knots so I could hardly move. I had good rain gear: jacket, rain pants, a pack cover, but very little rain fell. The pants doubled for an extra warm layer over my walking trousers. I do not think that blankets were available every night in the Sanabres albergues and I would not want to just have a silk liner for warmth, unless you carry or purchase warm clothing to wear inside your silk liner to keep warm at night. However, I think that your general speed of walking will be a definite advantage, as the difference in temperatures between when you start in the south and when you arrive in Santiago will not be as significant as for someone who takes longer on the journey. Buen camino.
Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.