• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Silk liners...

Salpal

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk Coastal Camino in May 2020
Hi all,

Can you please give me advice in terms of silk liners.......mummy or rectangular?

Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I use a mummy one - never felt my feet or legs being constricted, and less fabric = less weight, even as little as silk liners weigh.

I personally prefer rectangular. WIth silk, the added incremental weight will be very small.

My biggest issue, because I am a chunky guy, is that silk liners tend to cling to you as you try to slide in and out. If you need to get out of the bag to use the toilet in the night, it is a problem.

The ideal liner IMHO would be a rectangular silk sack with a two-sided "L" shaped zip to separate fully and easily. Not finding one of these after several years of searching, I did find what I think is the next best thing.

Presently, I always bring with me on any Camino, a rectangular microfiber liner I obtained here:

I stay in rented commercial lodging as much as I can, but occasionally need to use an albergue. That is my one major 'what if' item that I always take. It compresses into a one-gallon / three-liter ziplock bag and is always at the very bottom of my rucksack.

It has a full separating zip, is machine washable, and I even used it as a very large towel in one instance. Two such liners can be mated to form a double sleeper for a couple. Plus, you cannot beat the price. This vendor is; however, located in the US.

Hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all,

Can you please give me advice in terms of silk liners.......mummy or rectangular?

Thanks
Silk liner in mummy shape because it is very light, comfortable and compressible. I bought mine at Mointain Equipment Co-op, a Canadian company.

Silk liner in mummy shape because it is very light, comfortable and compressible. I bought mine at Mointain Equipment Co-op, a Canadian company.

J have carried and used a silk liner for years. Never, I repeat never, did it ever dawn on me there was different shapes! :) Cant blame the dotage on this one and never has any store selling me this item ever informed me of different shapes! A whole new world has opened up and now with the prostate problem I can go to the loo as often as I like without shrieking and cursing my way out of the damn thing! Good job I use private rooms as often as I can, eh? :)

Yours aye, the Malingerer.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've used both types on camping trips and unless I'm sleeping in colder temperatures I always prefer a rectangular shaped liner (and sleeping bag) for the extra foot room. Many liners of both kinds, however, don't have any provision for opening down one side - which makes getting in and out of them difficult. So consider one like the Alps liner linked above that has zippers or some kind of closeable opening down the side.

I find silk liners comfortable but like t2andreo I also find them difficult to get in and out of, due to my manly bulk :) A few years ago I discovered a polyester liner by The Friendly Swede which is less "slippery" and uses Velcro tabs on one side to secure the liner closed. It's quite roomy and has a pillow insert, which is very nice to have as well. I see now that it's also now offered in a microfiber version which supposedly feels more like cotton sheets - and at 8 1/2 oz (250 g) it's still relatively lightweight and compact. Given the low price (under $20 USD), I may order a new one for my Camino next year.

Edit: The microfiber version is 17 oz / 500 g, which is on the heavy side. Still, it's lighter than a full-on sleeping bag if, like me, you'll be walking the Camino in the early fall when temperatures will still be relatively warm.

Last edited:
Rectangular / double is better, it is tough getting in and out and they rip easily. The wide one can be used as a bed sheet and pillow cover, very handy.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all,

Thanks
I use a double on, as I like to move my legs. Much easier to get in and out of too.

I solved the problem of the silk sleep sack getting tangled around me and the difficulty of getting in and out by attaching elastic straps that keep my home made sleep sack in place on the mattress. It also has a long zipper down the side.
Details are in this thread

What a wonderful idea! Seems like a great project to practice my sewing/serging skills between now and my Camino next fall ... unless of course you've decided to start taking orders? :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was telling my son about 42 nights of struggling to get in and out of my silk liner that had no zipper, getting up in the night and then giving up trying to get back into the liner and he looked at me and showed me that you sit on the bed, put your feet in and stand up, pull it up over you and then lie down on the bed. To get out of it, just stand up and it falls to the floor. I didn't figure that out over 42 nights! (Just a warning that standing up on the top bunk might not work very well!)

I had a rectangle silk liner and I have continued to use it on other caminos now that I know how to get in and out of it!

What a wonderful idea! Seems like a great project to practice my sewing/serging skills between now and my Camino next fall ... unless of course you've decided to start taking orders? :)
I have sold about a half a dozen. I have two completed and available now. Also Costco down blankets cut in half with ties to attach to the silk sleep sack.
The price of silk has gone up quite a bit, so I don't know if I'll be making more.

^^^I had one made this year based on this trecile's description. Overall, I was very happy with it. But I made changes to her design, some of which were not a good idea. I'm going to have another one made for spring and will incorporate a couple of new design features.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Also useful as a neck warmer!

I have sold about a half a dozen. I have two completed and available now. Also Costco down blankets cut in half with ties to attach to the silk sleep sack.
The price of silk has gone up quite a bit, so I don't know if I'll be making more.
Are the two available now spoken for?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Depends how you sleep. I usually sleep with one leg straight and the other bent, which is impossible in a mummy liner. So it's a rectangular one for me!

Even though I'm just 1,58m (5foot 2, I think), I sleep curled like a ball, so rectangular it is.

I use a rectangular silk liner. On my first Camino I did experience a bit of difficulty getting in and out. On my second Camino I attached two strips of elastic. One at the corners at the top and one at the corners at the bottom. These loops went under the top and bottom of the mattress. This keeps the liner flat and in place so it is easier to slide in and out of. The weight of the elastic is negligible. To keep my liner closed I attached three pieces of velcro spaced along the opening. I am very happy with the result.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi We are on the Camino and wanted to warn our fellow travellers to stay away from O MUINO camping/ bungalow Park. They have signs on the road from Mougas saying pilgrim breakfast available...
I seem to recall reading somewhere that some of the Hotels or Pensions may have pilgrim rates that are lower than what you see on booking.com? If this is true how common is this and do you...
Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hello fellow Pilgrims☺️ I am planning to do the my first Caminho ( Portugese coastal route) in September. I have been reading in various posts that you can ask for a pilgrim’s discount for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back