• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Silk sleep liners vs Cheap liners?

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I have always taken a fairly lightweight sleeping bag on my April/May caminos and have been very happy, but now I'm going in June for the first time. I have read many opinions on using sleep sacks/liners and they seem to get high reviews here on the forum and the ones mostly mentioned are silk. I looked on Amazon and silk are running $50-70 US. I see many others in the (don't laugh) $15-20 range, but are not silk. I'd like to hear some pros and cons of each. Can I still get a good night's sleep in a cheap one?
I've always envisioned getting all twisted up in such a flimsy "sack" and since I tend to toss and turn, I figured these sleep sacks/liners were not for me. I also do not like the "slippy, sweaty feel" of certain fabrics. Looking forward to hearing some opinions. Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you purchase one, you can modify it by turning into a sleeping quilt-sack. Or, buy the yardage of whatever material feels good to you, then add a zipper so that you may either zip it up or leave it open like a quilt.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We bought several varieties at different price points with the silk version being the most expensive. Overall, I’d say you get what you pay for: cheaper ones had weaker stitching, no zipper, weighed more, etc. Also, non-silk ones had significant static issues.

Is it worth paying 3x the amount for silk? Totally depends upon your budget.

Not exactly a much cheaper option but having lost my silk liner I found this Coolmax liner which I really liked. Even in August it didn't get too hot and the real advantage over silk for me was that it had some stretch to it, I always felt very constrained in my silk liner.

On my last Camino I used my husband's silk sack. It is extra long and has stretchy panels down the side. I loved it. I could pull it right over my head (and keep the cooties out) and toss and turn and twist to my heart's content. In the past I've been through a couple of sick sacks that have not coped with my night-time gyrations and given way at the seams, or even torn across the fabric.

The cheap artificial silk does not breath the way real silk does, and it also weighs more. If I was looking for something cheaper than silk I'd rather have cotton. Sea to Summit also make a silk/cotton mix which I think would be comfortable, and which is about a third cheaper than all silk.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Silk all the way. Smaller, lighter and drys so much quicker and readily available from Kathmandu stores.

I made 3 silk sleep sacks, sandwiched in each other Pinned at bottom. If hot, I put most layers under me, if cold, most on top! Mix and match. Un pin for washing! This is my 2nd camino using this creation, rather than a sleeping bag. A happy pilgrim.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have always taken a fairly lightweight sleeping bag on my April/May caminos and have been very happy, but now I'm going in June for the first time. I have read many opinions on using sleep sacks/liners and they seem to get high reviews here on the forum and the ones mostly mentioned are silk. I looked on Amazon and silk are running $50-70 US. I see many others in the (don't laugh) $15-20 range, but are not silk. I'd like to hear some pros and cons of each. Can I still get a good night's sleep in a cheap one?
I've always envisioned getting all twisted up in such a flimsy "sack" and since I tend to toss and turn, I figured these sleep sacks/liners were not for me. I also do not like the "slippy, sweaty feel" of certain fabrics. Looking forward to hearing some opinions. Thanks!

Silk liner no brainer. Have to tie it down it’s so small and easy to get lost. Lasts forever if minded and keeps nasties at bay. Then snug in your light sleeping bad. Buen Camino

Thank you for all the opinions. You've all answered my question and given me lots to think about. I will say, it seems the overall consensus is that silk is "all it's cracked up to be". If I do invest in one, I will go with the stretch sides for 10 bucks more.
However, I am pretty frugal, so the jury is still out for awhile longer. :)

I bought the really cheap liner from overseas on e-bay and it was fine for my 42 day walk in 2015. I will take it again this year. Things I didn't like about it - it is hard to get in and out of - and I can't have my feet sticking out. Things I liked - it is small, light and fit in a sandwich baggy. I cut up a sleeping bag last time and took just enough that fit inside the liner to keep me warm. This year I bought a down blanket that I will take with me. The fake silk liner dried in no time, so I was able to wash it when I arrived in the afternoon, and have it dry for bed that night. My fake silk liner, ear plugs and eye cover weighed less than 5 ounces (138 gm)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I vote for silk. Silk is light weight, warmer than synthetic, packs very small and most important bedbugs don't like it. Also I took the Cocoon brand on the PCT and it survived 5 months of almost daily use so it is durable. Probably better for the planet too but I am totally guessing on that.

I bought my silk liner from Treksilk in VietNam. It cost $32'including shipping to the USA. That was in 2015 so it might cost more by now but still probably a bargain.

I have a faux silk type liner made from synthetics. It cost about 5 euro, is very well made and durable and rolls up into its stuff sack to about the size of a soda/beer can. I don't know why, but it is very warm for its weight and reflects/traps body heat well. I found it perfect for summer, warm weather Caminos (and it weighs less than 500 grams).
A good friend gave it to me 2-3 years ago.a6f1b3b2-b05e-4b48-bf12-f34055a13afd_1.b1188f2ae190eff725c4494b61280c60.jpeg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm extremely happy with my Cocoon silk mummy liner. Breathes well, dries fast (I tend to sweat) and weighs very little. I've found it well worth the money.

Kanga what brand of silk liner has the stretchy sides? thanks

Just to be a contrarian, I prefer the microfiber liners from:

www.alpsmountaineering.com.

The rectangular sleeping bag liners are generously sized, have a full separating zipper, are machine washable and are very small and lightweight when packed. Plus, they only cost about USD 30.

This liner is also available as a mummy shape.

They are not as small or as light as silk, but the full zipper is a HUGE advantage to this Peregrino. I need to be able to get out of the bag 4-6 times nightly.:eek:

Hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Another option, that weighs about 700 grams and is inexpensive (20-40 euros I suppose) is to take a surplus military poncho liner and have a zipper/velcro/snaps attached along the side to make a fairly warm sleep system for the cooler months on the Camino. It has a rating I would reckon like a summer sleeping bag, one season.
We had them in the army and we loved them. I had one stitched permanently up the side, a bit more than 3/4 of the way up. It is very roomy and can be put in a stuff sack about the size of a 2-liter bottle, or less.
Here's a photo of one from the net. They come in many colors besides tan.
sku4172insert1.jpg

I'm opting for the "Trecile" sack - Costco down throw inside my silk liner, best of both worlds.

The liner is now 17 years old and still first class despite having been borrowed by both daughters on long distance travels. It has a pocket at the top you invert and fill with a pillow or soft clothing (indeed it works well with the down throw) and is washed by hand in Woolite liquid detergent.

My younger girl wants it left to her in my will (the older one wants my Tilley hat) - they'll both have a long wait!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bedbugs don't like silk.
LOL....
I do believe that is a misconception. Is there any scientific backing to that one?
I actually met a very nice group on the Camino once, of who 2-3 of them had silk bag liners that were green in color I believe. They said that they had heard that bedbugs will not get on green silk cloth, ha ha.

LOL....
I do believe that is a misconception. Is there any scientific backing to that one?
I actually met a very nice group on the Camino once, of who 2-3 of them had silk bag liners that were green in color I believe. They said that they had heard that bedbugs will not get on green silk cloth, ha ha.
I use silk liners camping and where others are having issues with critters in their sleep gear, I store my gear in my silk liner and have never found any bugs. I don't know if it scientific or not but it works for me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I use silk liners camping and where others are having issues with critters in their sleep gear, I store my gear in my silk liner and have never found any bugs. I don't know if it scientific or not but it works for me.
Hmmm, I have used a bright red poly-synthetic liner and never found any bugs...ever. I may be on to something. Could it be that scarlet poly is the bane of las chinches? lol

Hi, im getting ready to start my walk on April 6 in Pamplona, i am planning on staying in inns and the like BUT what if i find the albergues appealing and decide thats the way i want to go? Do i need a sleeping bag or silk liner? Would i be able to purchase one along the way? I dont want to carry one along if I dont wind up using it. Thanks for your input, I've gotten lots of valuable info on this forum

I used a Sea to Summit silk liner May 24 to June 22nd 2016.
It was fine except for 2 cold nights during which I couldn’t sleep due to the low temperature (Roncesvalles and Viloria del Rioja). April 5th might be a bit chilly for a silk liner. They often have pilgrims blankets available but that might be a source of the cooties mentioned above. One other thought is that silk liners are very thin. Thinner than a bed sheet, however, they wash and dry easily. If you like the feeling of something heavier on your skin at night you might consider a light weight 600gm sleeping bag. I used one in mid May 2017 on the San Salvador and Primitivo and it was fine.

Jamie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Along these lines--I am finishing up the Camino starting on May 1 from Ponferrada, I really do not want to take a sleeping bag which I have taken in late fall and early spring before. I have a a Sea to Summit Coolmax liner that I plan to take. Can I get by without a sleeping bag? Thanks and Buen Camino

You can get by.
On cold nights make sure the bunk room windows are closed and use a pilgrim blanket. Don’t go to bed wet or sweaty.

Jamie

Walking the Sanabres from Ourense in early October as well. My last Camino VdlP 6 years ago (spring 2012) I took an equatorial sleep bag (single cotton on one side, light insulation on the other). The majority of the walk was colder and rainy so I needed some insulation on top. Too many albergues had mattresses wrapped in vinyl which meant that a thin cotton sheet between me and it caused a significant amount of sweating ... I would not do that again! My solution was to buy a cheap fleece blanket to augment my bedding, and much of my sitting around in unheated albergues as well!
This time we are day packing w luggage forwarding and staying in pensions and hotels so bedding will be provided ... however that many nights in rural hotels can expose one to bed bugs in my experience so maybe a liner might be a wise choice even for that!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ebay has silk sleeping bag liners in many jolly colours at £8 including postage. That would be < $8 if postage is the same to USA as to UK. I haven't bought one yet, but when I carry all my stuff I will - prob get 2 in case one tears.

Resurrecting this thread since the topic\theme seems to fit
Someone while being well-minded gave me a Cabella's Gift Card. Not the place I was planing to use to get my Camino gear, nor there is one immeidately in vicinity of my home (closest is about 60 miles which means I am not going to drive that far)
None-the-less, I have some $$$ to spend and started looking at the catalog. Came upon this:
BassPro Eclipse

Not silk and quite cheap, but..... will it do the job?
Obviously I am not worried about keeping warm in cold weather while on the trek (May-June), but the rest?
Will it (possibly, hopefully, et al) keep the critters away?
Is it 'light enough' to meet the approval of 'weightwatchers' at 2lbs 4oz (just slightly oiver 1kg)?
Will I need to periodically wash it because its fleece (or is it moot inasmuch as I would have to wash the silk one as well)?

not too happy about it not having its own packing bag or something to make it more compact but IMHO that wold be slightly minor stacking up to above other questions

So, thoughts, suggestions Fellow Members?
Much obliged

Is it 'light enough' to meet the approval of 'weightwatchers' at 2lbs 4oz (just slightly oiver 1kg)?

Seems awfully heavy to me. My combination of my tiny down blanket plus homemade silk sleep sack and pillow case weighs less than a pound, and is a lot more versatile.
Will I need to periodically wash it because its fleece (or is it moot inasmuch as I would have to wash the silk one as well)?
I rarely wash my silk liner while I'm on the Camino, except if I'm concerned that I may have been exposed to bedbugs. Then the more important factor is putting it in a hot dryer for half an hour.
Will it (possibly, hopefully, et al) keep the critters away

No liner, silk or otherwise will repel bedbugs, even if treated with permethrin. While permethrin can kill bedbugs with prolonged contact, it does not repel them nor kill them on contact.

I would use that Cabela's gift card to buy Camino clothing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I would use that Cabela's gift card to buy Camino clothing.
thanks Therese
I do believe that my Camino clothing is pretty much done.
not that i am taking it all with but I have
6 pairs merino outer socks
4 pairs Injinji
2 pair convertible pants
2 micro fiber t-shirt
1 long sleeve shirt
1 north face jacker
1 poncho
Brim Hat and a Corps-d'Afrique one

working on footwear (there is a thread i started about a week ago)

At 11oz this is a better option from cabellos

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200304-080518.png
    Screenshot_20200304-080518.png
    800.9 KB · Views: 14
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello.I took a cotton bag liner in Sept/ Oct 2019.We did sections of the Norte and the French Way.
I would go with silk next time May or Sept 2020.The silk bag is much lighter to carry. Every hostel i stayed at had blankets.Many times it was too warm to sleep in a bag re small rooms and other pilgrims.If you get cold then layer.Practice with your bag full when training.

I gave a very lightweight sleeping bag and do not like cramming it in its own sack it came in...Instead I roll it up and easily stuff it in a one gallon zip lock bag and sit on it to get the air out on my bed before closing the zip...asy peasy!
I also treat the outside of my sleeping bag with Permathrin before leaving home...no bugs yet.

€46,-
Not knowing your physical size, I’d think that that liner is a bit small at 32” wide zipped up. Plus fleece in May/June will likely be way too warm unless you usually sleep “cold”. At 2lbs, that’s also awfully heavy compared to alternatives. As for the cheaper, non-silk liners, sometimes they create an immense amount of static while in use that you end up being in a clingy ball of electricity that would awe even Tesla!

But who am I to judge? I lost my liner on Day 1 of walking and ended up using two plain old cotton sheets for the next 42 days of my Camino! 😂

Well, Cabela's sells a variety of footwear too. 😊
True ... but I only have 1 GC from Cabella's at rather "low" monetary amount vs. numerous other ones I got from REI and Amazon, so I tend to think that my footwear will come from either\or :)

I think I very well might go with @easygoing 's suggestion - it also 'fits the budget' so to speak

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
...sometimes they create an immense amount of static while in use that you end up being in a clingy ball of electricity that would awe even Tesla!
Yeah... probably dont want to be the source of electricity when the rest of Albergue is trying to sleep in relative darkness.
Bugs Bunny I aint ;)
Yankee Doodle Bugs (see 1:24 - 1:59)

€60,-
Hi Doug
nothing more but simply stating a fact that a good number of folks say\plead\whatever not to use it while others say that you almost have to
No disrespect to anyone is intended; look at it as a 50/50 'chance to get it right...or wrong' i.e. Go figure

In someway, slightly confusing (yes I can understand the need to protect myself and at the same - what if my bunk neighbor happens to have an allergy?) which is why I included the 2 memes in my post.

Hope that explained it ✌👋🙏

For 50 more dollars you can save 6 oz. But that's almost $10 an ounce so I would go with my first recommendation if you're trying to watch your money. The silk one is also available at Cabela's

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200304-130420.png
    Screenshot_20200304-130420.png
    571.4 KB · Views: 6
@easygoing

thanks Sharon (I presume?)
I actually did follow your 1st suggestion and that liner was placed on order couple of hours ago. I think for the $$$ it will do just fine and, as I posted above, 'fits the budget' (i.e. falls within the GC amount)

€46,-
I purchased my synthetic sleeping bag liner at Wal-Mart for less than ten dollars. In its stuff sack about the size of a beer can. Kept me warm and comfortable on three Caminos.

Hi Doug
nothing more but simply stating a fact that a good number of folks say\plead\whatever not to use it while others say that you almost have to
No disrespect to anyone is intended; look at it as a 50/50 'chance to get it right...or wrong' i.e. Go figure

In someway, slightly confusing (yes I can understand the need to protect myself and at the same - what if my bunk neighbor happens to have an allergy?) which is why I included the 2 memes in my post.

I agree that there is a wide variety of opinion expressed here, and some of it appears to be remarkably ill-informed.

And the rub is that you are likely to make one of several types of errors. The first is if you haven't been bitten, that you assert to the effectiveness of any treatment you did, or disclaim that any treatment was needed if you didn't treat your gear. Neither conclusion is justified. You just might have been fortunate enough not to have slept anywhere with bedbugs, and treatment or non-treatment wasn't the issue.

The second is more complex, and that is that if you do get bitten having treated your gear, claiming the treatment is ineffective. Permethrin and other members of the family are insecticides, and not insect repellants. They will kill a significant proportion of most bed bug populations within several minutes, but it is a real possibility that this time will not be short enough to prevent them having a last supper. What you will have done is interrupted their breeding cycle and reduced the risk of them hitching a lift (alive) with you, not of using you for a final feed.

I understand that the permethrin molecule binds quite tightly to treated fabric. If you have soaked or sprayed your gear beforehand and let it dry, there is little if any risk to others. Very little is transmitted through the skin, and it doesn't evaporate. So unless your bunk neighbour has special rights to be inside your sleeping bag with you, they won't be at much risk.

It would be a quite different situation were you to try to apply a spray treatment in a dormitory, when the permethrin is still in solution and you could get a higher level of contact transfer while it is drying, as well as the prospect of over-spray onto beds, bedding, other peoples gear etc. Not necessarily a good thing to even think of doing.

If you don't like to use 'synthetic' compounds, that's a personal choice, and there are natural pyrethroid alternatives. It appears that these wash out much more quickly than permethrin, and should be re-applied more frequently. Or one might choose not to treat at all.

In all of that, it is advisable not to let treated gear, like a sleeping bag liner, come into contact with moist areas of your body, such as genitalia, and eyes, nose and mouth. Sleeping naked and covering your face with treated gear should not be considered if you have treated your sleeping gear, Similarly, underwear should not be treated at all, only outerwear garments like trousers, shorts and shirts.

Last edited:
Hi Doug

When Permathrin dries, it is entirely dry, nonsticky and odorless!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OK, so looks like I can be proactive and do it, I guess, before I even left home?
How much of it do I need? (i.e. will 9oz spray can do the trick or do I need more)?
Should I perhaps spray some of my clothes (underwear not counting)
Will I need at some point on Camino to reapply (i.e. do i need to lug it with me)?

As far as "sleeping naked" :oops: ... why I never slept naked in the sleeping bag even when comfortably ensconced in the privacy of my own tent...never mind a communal albergue 😁

OK, so looks like I can be proactive and do it, I guess, before I even left home?
How much of it do I need? (i.e. will 9oz spray can do the trick or do I need more)?
Will I need at some point on Camino to reapply (i.e. do i need to lug it with me)?

As far as "sleeping naked" :oops: ... why I never slept naked in the sleeping bag even when comfortably ensconced in the privacy of my own tent...never mind a communal albergue 😁
This is the one we get from Amazon. It will do the exterior of up to 3 sleeping bags or liners. I hand a temporary clothesline outdoors, hand the items and spray on a nonwindy day. You can save your leftovers to use on your "next" Camino.😉

EDIT...I forgot to add that we spray our backpacks, too, and sometimes I spray an additional Dollar store poly fitted sheet, weighs almost nothing and I toss it afterward, but do not spray the matching pillowcase.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-03-05-11-04-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-03-05-11-04-49.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

I like this large aerosol can of Sawyer Permethrin spray.

I spray my sleep sack, inside my backpack, and all of my cloth stuff sacks. If bedbugs get inside my pack I want them to be in contact with permethrin treated surfaces long enough to kill them, so I'm not transporting them to the next albergue, or to my home.

Thank you ladies - so yes either one you suggest is bigger than 9 oz (Chrissy's is 24 and Therese's - 18)
I'll be sure to get one of those and spray away....

I cant wait.... only 438 DAYS 09 HOURS 22 MINUTES 59, 58, 57, 56.... and I can start spraying 😁

I know that I mentioned treating clothing in my earlier post, but that was only to be complete about this matter. Where there is a daytime or evening threat from insect attack, treated clothing would be one measure. But mosquitos etc are not the issue here. Bedbugs are nocturnal, and attack while one is sleeping. I suppose if one planned to sleep in one's walking clothes, treating them might add some protection. But I don't, so I wouldn't be treating my clothing.

I don't have the details at my fingertips, but wash-in treatments generally claim to be far more durable than spray-on products. The wash-in that I use claims to be effective for 50 washes, more than enough for most caminos. The other estimate I have seen is six months before re-treatment is recommended.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Package arrived safely today. Didn't open it yet but looks very nice in its small little bag
I shall hope that it will perform up-to-par!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.