• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Silk Sleeper Mummy Optimistic? - Route Info Advice?

bd250

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPDP 2004, Le Puy to SJPDP 2006, SJPDP 2009, Sevilla (Sanabrés) 2010, Lisbon 2011, Henaye/Irun 2012, Salamanca (Sanabrés) 2013, Sevilla (via Camino de Torres) 2014, Col St. Bernard-Rome 2015, Le Puy (via Norte & Primitivo) 2016
Hi all,

Following various Caminos (undertaken while studiously avoiding the northern coast – weather, topography – basically, making it easy on myself :wink: ) – I’ve run out of options – It’s got be the ‘del Norte’ this summer – prep under way.

Concerning my prep for this route, my enquiry comprises two issues:

1. Temperature/Sleeping Bags - On this subject, I’ve become accustomed, over recent walks (Plata, Portuguese) to using a ‘silk sleeper mummy’ – for the obvious weight advantage – as my sole sleeping bag (wearing a top, in addition, if needs dictated).

I’m hoping that somebody with some experience of walking this (Norte) route in July/August may be able to advise me as to the suitability (or lack thereof) of using such a ‘silk sleeper’ on this route, during this time.

Any such advice gratefully received.

2. Route Info – I’ve just purchased and received the two CSJ guides for the route, which appear (as I’ve come to appreciate, expect and respect), very detailed in their advice… and, in addition to these, I intend to make use of Eroski maps. Further to these, if anybody has any useful tips on route info/resources, these would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance… BD

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi BD

I walked from Santander in June/July 2010, I found the nights quite cold on the coastal strip and the interior of Galicia, not all the albergues are heated. I go on the Norte again next week and will be taking a lightweight sleeping bag and silk liner, if I had gone in July I might just take only a liner and maybe something to wear under it like leggings, light gloves and a pair of socks.

I use Eroski as well for tips, albergues and they have just started to update the profile maps for each section, however I still find Gronze gives better outline maps and intermediate distances, the written descriptions of each etapa give details of the variants and compares them as well to the main route.
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/camino-del-norte.htm

Good luck

Mike

Mike…

Many thanks for the very helpful reply. I’ve already begun to research lightweight sleeping bags :? - an unfortunate reality of the northern climate I suppose - can't be avoided (unless I wait a century or so, and let CO2 do its thing).

Also, I’ve had a look at ‘Gronze’, and I reckon that it’ll be a very useful addition to my ‘on-the-route’ info.

Once again, thank you mate… much appreciated…
BD

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked part of the route (Irun-Oviedo) in late June/July 2009 and brought only a liner. It was fine. I was never cold. I brought pages from the Eroski site and the CSJ gude. I didn't find the CSJ guide useful and ditched it enroute using only the Eroski guide.

Thank you Viajero,

Interesting - no night-time chills with just a liner? ATM, I'm tending to err on the side of caution and bring a lightweight bag (660g) - would rather not, obviously.

Surprised by the CSJ guide remark - did you find it inaccurate or just unnecessary?

Thanks again... BD

Hi,
I can't remember if I used blankets at albergues on top of the liner or if it was just warm enough at night. I tend to remember it being warm enough to just use the liner wihtout a blanket but I can't remember. I don't remember it being hot in the evenings but nor do I remember it being cold. As the the CSJ guide: It was rather detailed in descriptions of the route, where to turn, markings, etc. but as the trail was well marked, the descriptions did not seem necessary. The eroski guide seemed to provide more information on location of albergues, distances, etc.

Thank you once again Viajero (and sorry for the long delay in saying so – I’ve not been back to the forum for some time)…

I’ve sought out as much info as seems available re silk sleeper Vs. bag (130g Vs. 660g), and am still none the wiser. Yesterday, I emailed Lifeventure to enquire as to the suggested comfort range for my sleeper but, whatever the response, I do seem to recall a couple of slightly chilly nights with this on the northern stages of the Via de la Plata and, this being the case, perhaps it may be wise to play it safe and go with the bag… I just have a natural aversion to carrying the extra weight.

I’ve now downloaded, minimised, combined and printed maps from Gronze, Mundicamino and Eroski (should tide me over :) ). Regarding accommodation though, I found a link on these forums to a scanned (PDF) copy of “Norte_Accomodation_distance”, but (without offence to the uploader – sincere thanks) this was of poor quality. Does anybody know of another link to this (or a similar) document?

On a totally unrelated matter, the top that I’ve worn for many Caminos has gone well beyond its ‘sell-by date’, and I’m researching a replacement. Any advice regarding fabric / manufacturer / model of suitable warm weather, long-sleeved hiking tops would be much appreciated. I have located a silk top, which I believe might be a good choice, but this is available in black only, and I am concerned regarding the light / heat absorption implications of this colour choice. As stated, any advice welcomed.

Cheers… BD

Hi there, as a gear nut I thought I'd chime in. I'm a big fan of Icebreaker, who make 100% merino wool hiking gear. Very breathable, blocks the sun, soft, dries quickly, and never - never - gets stinky. There's really nothing better.
http://us.icebreaker.com/on/demandware. ... ?Locale=en

My midlayer is the Patagonia R1 pullover. Very light and warm for those early AM starts or a chilly evening. Probably all I'll bring for my Nortes in July/August.

As another newbie (previous Camino’s have been with accommodation booked) is it acceptable to telephone ahead, on the day, to get details about albergue occupancy (or even book ahead).
I’m starting from Irun on June 5 this year so watch out for me!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@David Hobson yes, it is quite acceptable, if they take bookings. Private facilities do, but the public albergues usually do not. On the Norte, where is can be a distance between albergues, you have lots of alternative accommodation in airbnb, pensions, casa rurals, small hotels. We only ever booked ahead on the same day, or occasionally the day before. We tended to use booking.com, although if you can find the telephone number and can book direct it saves the proprietors the booking site fees. Often when they know it is for a pilgrim they will give a special rate, or throw in something extra, like breakfast, but they cannot alter the rate if you have used booking.com.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.