• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Silly Christmas Tradition

Juspassinthru

in our minds, we're vagabonds, you and I
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2017, Inglés 2019, Aragónes 2024
While I know we’d rather be reading or writing about something more topical, this year has not allowed for many tales from the Camino or epic sock or trekking pole finds or failures.

So, I thought I’d share a different tale, my silly Christmas tradition.

For over 25 years now, it started when my daughters were young, every Christmas I’ve worn the same mis-matched pair of socks. It’s become so ingrained in my family that I’m asked by my far flung family if I’m wearing them to which the answer is, of course, YES.

It always makes me smile, especially this year.

1608913630030.jpeg1608913630030.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Slightly off topic - a New Year's Eve tradition in my family. During my career, we relocated to Geneva, Switzerland in the mid-90s. Each Christmas, we celebrated at our home, then the next day, headed to Spain with our three kids for 7 to 10 days. We mostly stayed in paradors. The first winter vacation we stayed at the wonderful parador in Cuenca. There is an excellent restaurant in the parador, but the dinner meal was not served until late night and was quite expensive. We walked across a very scary bridge (over a gorge) into town and looked everywhere for an open restaurant. The entire town was locked down. Then we "discovered" an open Chinese restaurant. We had an excellent dinner there. The next two years when we travelled to Spain after Xmas, on Christmas eve, we asked the concierge where the local Chinese restaurant was located. Since returning to the US in 1998, we've gone to a Chinese restaurant each New Year's Eve. A great tradition for our family ! Bob

Slightly off topic - a New Year's Eve tradition in my family. During my career, we relocated to Geneva, Switzerland in the mid-90s. Each Christmas, we celebrated at our home, then the next day, headed to Spain with our three kids for 7 to 10 days. We mostly stayed in paradors. The first winter vacation we stayed at the wonderful parador in Cuenca. There is an excellent restaurant in the parador, but the dinner meal was not served until late night and was quite expensive. We walked across a very scary bridge (over a gorge) into town and looked everywhere for an open restaurant. The entire town was locked down. Then we "discovered" an open Chinese restaurant. We had an excellent dinner there. The next two years when we travelled to Spain after Xmas, on Christmas eve, we asked the concierge where the local Chinese restaurant was located. Since returning to the US in 1998, we've gone to a Chinese restaurant each New Year's Eve. A great tradition for our family ! Bob
Exactly on topic BCB, great tradition.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
While I know we’d rather be reading or writing about something more topical, this year has not allowed for many tales from the Camino or epic sock or trekking pole finds or failures.

So, I thought I’d share a different tale, my silly Christmas tradition.

For over 25 years now, it started when my daughters were young, every Christmas I’ve worn the same mis-matched pair of socks. It’s become so ingrained in my family that I’m asked by my far flung family if I’m wearing them to which the answer is, of course, YES.

It always makes me smile, especially this year.

View attachment 89874View attachment 89874
This post is so touching to me, and so glad you shared it!!!! So sweet and just perfect!!!
Merry Christmas!

My dad used to wear a special bright red vest over the years worn only on Christmas day while growing up and into my adulthood until his passing. My two brothers now take turns wearing it and it evokes such warm and fuzzy memories on our Christmas gatherings until 2020.

When my sons were small 8,6,4 they taught their grandma to dance the Macarena which she loved. For Christmas that year we bought her a motion activated gorilla that played and danced the song. We still have it 25 years later and it goes through n a place of honour under the Christmas tree. It is set off by the front door opening and closing, a shoe dropping or even someone laughing loudly. My sons (now men) groan and roll their eyes every year when it goes off but we all appreciate this silly reminder of a beloved mum/grandma

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Several years ago, we had the privilege of living in Spain followed by a time in Italy, and our daughter was the lovely age of 6-9 then. Our first day-after-Christmas in Spain, my daughter and I went to a large department store to make an exchange, and we were stopped in our tracks to see an elaborate stage with a “king's messenger” sitting on a large throne while a long line of children waited to sit on his lap to share their wishes. This is how we first learned about Three Kings Day which is when Spanish children receive gifts, on Epiphany when the Magi visited the Christ child.

Flash forward to our time in Italy. There, the tradition is for La Bufana (a witch) to fly through the night before Epiphany to deliver packages to all children. There’s a backstory that involves the Three Kings. It was another new, stopped-in-our-tracks experience to see toy witches everywhere in the Christmas markets in Italy.

So, our daughter’s birthday is January 6 – Epiphany. Beginning while living in Spain and then Italy, we’ve incorporated these traditions for her birthday. Each year she receives a gift from mom & dad, another wrapped in gold paper from the Three Kings, and another wrapped in brown paper from La Bufana. It is a warm and wonderful tradition for all of us.

Last edited:
We have had a very odd tradition for decades. We get visited by the Underware Fairy who places gifts under the tree for opening on Christmas Eve. The gifts always contain..... well underware, usually goofy or otherwise humorous. We open gifts on Christmas Eve with everyone in attendance and the gifts from the UF (as she is known in our family) are always an expected fun moment. It was especially fun when my daughters got married and their new husbands got their first visit from the UF and now my grandkids look forward to these little packages of smiles.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My dad used to wear a special bright red vest over the years worn only on Christmas day while growing up and into my adulthood until his passing. My two brothers now take turns wearing it and it evokes such warm and fuzzy memories on our Christmas gatherings until 2020.
@Camino Chrissy, my father died earlier this year so you’re recollection of your father in his red vest really struck home. If we ever wonder what our legacy may be, it’s these small memories that I hope last forever. I hope my daughters and grandchildren remember my socks and maybe, continue it as their silly Christmas tradition when my days are done. Thanks for your story.

I hope this year you can find an open Chinese restaurant or at least take away.

I hope this year you can find an open Chinese restaurant or at least take away.
Each year Peg and I invite about a dozen friends over for Christmas dinner and to share our tree. A good number are Jewish and one is Chinese. He has for a long time arranged with a restaurant in Chinatown for the traditional Jewish Christmas Eve dinner for the rest. We have finally figured that we have things under control and have joined them the last couple of years. This year all found a takeout that delivered (except Peg cooked) and we ate together on Zoom. Not as good but the parking was easier.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Each year Peg and I invite about a dozen friends over for Christmas dinner and to share our tree. A good number are Jewish and one is Chinese. He has for a long time arranged with a restaurant in Chinatown for the traditional Jewish Christmas Eve dinner for the rest. We have finally figured that we have things under control and have joined them the last couple of years. This year all found a takeout that delivered (except Peg cooked) and we ate together on Zoom. Not as good but the parking was easier.
Let’s hope the Zoom part of your tradition is one and done.

Just catching up on this now. My adult silly tradition? Sherry while cooking, and visiting neighbours in between... the visiting part stopped when we moved away from one house but I stick to the sherry part. Speaking of vodka, which we were not - anyone in Dublin who would like a bottle, just pm me. It can be handed over near EPIC... it was in a hamper and it will gather cobwebs in our house. Nothing asked in return.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back