Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Silly questions about the camino

CarriePhoto

So, I'm thinking of a spur of the moment trip beginning of July 2014 to do the Camino Primitivo. Sounds silly, but I watched a movie about it and been doing massive research since and feel like the camino is calling me. I have some free time, so I am thinking of just going for it.

I'll be doing it alone. Reading everyone's account, I don't think I should be nervous about that, but wanted to hear other people's take on that. I'm decent at Spanish and should be able to get by without a major problem. I'm in decent shape and have most of the necessary equipment already. It seems like there are good, friendly people that take this route so I'm nervous, yet excited.

Typical questions. I'll be walking mid-July to end of July. I'm a little concerned about overcrowding but am willing to stay at private pensions if I need to. And of course curious about the weather. Fleece needed?

For sleeping, do most people have sleeping bags? or sleeping sheets? sleeping sheets and a blanket? I haven't seen towel on the list of people's inventory, are they provided after showering?

Food and water? seems like its more lacking on this walk, I'm thinking I should always have some sort of snack with me for the middle areas. Same with water? How much water is feasible to carry for a day's walk?

And of course, this is probably silly, but do you normal hiking rules apply about going the bathroom in-between towns? I would think it would be necessary during some of the longer stretches, but I was curious about hearing people's experiences and haven't see any written.

How bad are the bed-bugs? Everyone having issues with them?

And then final tips. What's the one thing you wish you did on your walk that you didn't do?

Thanks!
Carrie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
All questions have been discussed often in the forum and different pilgrims often have different views, but briefly... nervous / excited is normal. If you are flexible, there is always a place to sleep. Just remember that a last option may be to take a taxi to another town to find a bed and return the next day to restart your walk. Very few people have to do that but it is an option. It can be cold walking in the mountains. A fleece would be useful, particularly for the evenings. I am certain that a sleeping liner is enough, my wife is certain that she needs a sleeping bag. It all depends on how cold you feel. I haven't done that Camino so I am not sure about food / water but on the Camino Frances, I drank a fair bit in towns and only needed to carry a 750ml bottle. I usually bought fruit, nuts, dried fruit, tinned tune or sardines in markets (or whatever) in the evening which I used the next morning for breakfast or mid-walk snacks. PLEASE, if you really have to use the trail as a toilet, do so well away from it and be as considerate as possible. Common sense should prevail. Bed bugs? I saw one although I saw two other people who were bitten. I did use a Permethrin treated liner though.

So, I'm thinking of a spur of the moment trip beginning of July 2014 to do the Camino Primitivo. Sounds silly, but I watched a movie about it and been doing massive research since and feel like the camino is calling me. I have some free time, so I am thinking of just going for it.
Good for you!
I'll be doing it alone. Reading everyone's account, I don't think I should be nervous about that, but wanted to hear other people's take on that. I'm decent at Spanish and should be able to get by without a major problem. I'm in decent shape and have most of the necessary equipment already. It seems like there are good, friendly people that take this route so I'm nervous, yet excited.
Nothing to worry about.
Typical questions. I'll be walking mid-July to end of July. I'm a little concerned about overcrowding but am willing to stay at private pensions if I need to. And of course curious about the weather. Fleece needed?
Lodging generally shouldn't be an issue if you are flexible. If you normally need a fleece in the height of summer, it probably wouldn't hurt to bring one; one the other hand, a lightweight wind jacket was sufficient for me in May/June.
For sleeping, do most people have sleeping bags? or sleeping sheets? sleeping sheets and a blanket? I haven't seen towel on the list of people's inventory, are they provided after showering?
Some use light bags, others quilts or blankets, and still others use sleeping sacks/liners. You'll need to bring a towel (look for a small, lightweight backpacking towel).
Food and water? seems like its more lacking on this walk, I'm thinking I should always have some sort of snack with me for the middle areas. Same with water? How much water is feasible to carry for a day's walk?
I would carry 1-2 liters water as a rule in between stages (others choose to carry less), but be sure to hydrate in towns and then top off while walking. I definitely carried snacks, such as nuts, chocolate, hard cheese, dried fruit, etc.
And of course, this is probably silly, but do you normal hiking rules apply about going the bathroom in-between towns? I would think it would be necessary during some of the longer stretches, but I was curious about hearing people's experiences and haven't see any written.
I carried a very lightweight titanium trowel for purpose of digging a cathole. I also carried tissue packs as a more convenient option to TP.
Never had a problem, but walked earlier in season and was vigilant in lodging selection. Also, permethrin treated bottom sheet and backpack.
And then final tips. What's the one thing you wish you did on your walk that you didn't do?
Started and stopped earlier in the day so I had more time to explore.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just be aware that by July the temperature in Lugo is regularly above 30C.

Thanks!
Carrie

Hi Carie,

You'll find information and many answers relating to your questions, reading through many of the excellent posts in the Camino Primitivo section of the forum.

I walked the Primitivo the last week of July / first week of August 2013. Accomodation was generally not a problem. Only two albergues along the way were full. The municiple in Berducedo was full but there was room in the private albergue. The albergue in Castro was full due to a youth group booking, but there was a small hotel with lovely rooms. It was a chance to have a nice treat after a couple of very arduous days.

There were some very hot days but generally I found the heat of the day to be bearable. There were some cool evenings and I was happy to have a light weight fleece jacket with me. I was lucky to have only 1 day of heavy rain and 1 day of drizzle.

Most people have either a sleeping bag or liner. I had a very light weight sleeping bag which was great. You will need your own towel. A quick dry, technical towel is best.

I had no problems with bed bugs and did not hear of any during this camino.

Very important to make sure you have enough water at all times and it's a good idea to have some food on hand. Cereal bars or chocolate - some fruit. The amount will depend on the length of your daily stages and what kind of facilities are available on the stage. You'll be able to find more specific daily stage information in various guides and on the forum.

Wishing you all the best for your camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
As others have said you will need a towel and either a sheet/liner or a light sleeping bag. I would suggest long sleeved shirt and zip off trousers if you have them. This would give some protection from the sun, or be good if it is cool. You can always roll sleeves up, zip off trouser bottoms etc. A light fleece, I would say yes. Waterproof of some sort - probably a poncho rather than a jacket as it is more versatile, lighter, packs flatter and would also protect your pack.
If you use the bars along the route you shouldn't need to go elsewhere - however if you are drinking enough and need to wee then carry the toilet paper out with you. Small plastic food bags - use for food and then keep for rubbish which can all be disposed of later.
Carry plenty of water - if it weighs heavy then drink some of it - better than risking dehydration.
Buen Camino

Hi, Carrie,
Welcome to the forum! As I always tell my students, the only silly questions are the ones you don't ask.

I've walked the Camino Primitivo twice now, always alone, but always meeting people on the first day. Mid July will be getting busier, but I don't think you have to worry about the real bed crunch until you hit August. In mid August, I've heard now over several years, the Camino Primitivo is pretty well saturated and unable to absorb all the pilgrims. But in July, I think the combination of albergues and private pensiones and hotels will meet the demand without much problem.

I usually carry about 1 1/2 liters and have never had a problem with running out. There is one long stretch after Borres with no towns or water for nearly 20 km, I think, at least if you take the Hospitales alternative.

I think you've gotten great answers to your questions, but I just wanted to add to the chorus -- go go go go go. It's a beautiful camino. I hope you are not bitten by any bed bugs, but I'm pretty sure you will be bitten by the Camino bug! Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks to everyone for responding. The information has been helpful.

I bought my ticket today and off I go in mid-July. Very exciting and nervous and can't believe I'm actually going to do it.

I have one more question. I'm guessing most of the albergues/private/hotels along this route don't accept credit cards and only take cash. (Maybe that's not true for hotels around Oviedo, Lugo and Santiago). So only euros, right?

I'm just trying to plan out how much cash to have with me.

Laurie, I'm doing a bit of combination of your two routes - your information has been very helpful. I've built in a rest day in Lugo and an extra day in case things come up. So I'm giving myself 14 days to walk. I'm thinking that is plenty of time.

I decided to only use a sleep sheet and have it treated with bedbug stuff, just in case. Hopefully it will be enough in July. I figure I can wear more clothes to bed if its not. Did anyone bring a small blow-up pillow or do most places have them?

Thanks again for the information. This forum has been very, very helpful and a good place to get excited about the trip.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don't carry a large amount of cash!

Use ATMs along the route. Most people draw only about 300 euro at a time max.
Like all things there is danger of thieves on the Camino and you should only have what you need.

Be sure to notify your bank that you will be using the card in Spain so the do not shut it off.
The best plan is to have two cards on different banks so you can still operate if one card gets held.

There are several threads on the subject of cash and ATMs.

All the albergues have pillows (possible exception is Leon). Since I have the blow up pillow from the flight, I use it as well. You may need to request a blanket in the summer.

If you have a Mastercard then you can check the location of ATM's easily before you even leave home. The same is probably true for Visa. They are not in every town/village. As Grayland says there are several threads with plenty of information about cards.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back