• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Silnylon stuff sacks for packing your gear

Americanperegrino

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct 2012
May 2016
This has probably been posted before, but.
I use a system of silnylon stuff sacks to hold my clothes/etc when I back pack. Silnylon is an extremely lite weight and tuff nylon that is treated with silicon making it virtually waterproof. I use various sizes/colors to hold everything that goes inside my pack. I use one bag for clean clothes, one for dirty clothes, one for my jacket, one for my toiletries, one for electronics, one for first aid, etc. Nothing goes into my pack that isnt in a stuff sack.

So, what do these stuff sacks do for me? First; they organize my pack. I'm a guy, which is to say that I'm a mess when it comes to clothes, packing, organization, and most other things. No more mixing of dirty smelly clothes with clean clothes. No mixing of damp clothes with dry clothes. No more dropping my nice dry clean underwear on the shower floor because I was trying to balance them on the little nail inside the shower. Second; Now I have a shower bag..actually three. When I go to the shower I carry 1 bag with clean clothes, 1 bag to stuff my dirty clothes into(treated inside and out with permithrin), and my toiletries in my third bag. All these can be hung inside the shower if I need to.

This system also keeps everything inside my pack dry in the rain. When I load my pack, I always point the opening of the sylnylon bag down. Any water that gets past my packs rain cover and makes it into the pack now has to get past the sylnylon sack. I've been in extremely heavy rain and have never had anything in the sylnylon sack get wet.

The sylnylon sack works great as a wash basin for clothes. After all its a waterproof bag. I have used mine as a wash basin for clothes and me.
http://www.rei.com/product/781500/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-stuff-sack

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I use dry bags when I ride my motorcycle and they work great. But, they are really heavy. Do you have lite weight dry bags?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I, too, love my silnylon stuff sacks and am happy to carry a few extra grams so that I can know exactly where everything is. I use ones with the foldover top so they can be sealed if I want. (Then I point the opening up so it is easier to get the air out and compress the bag!) They also make the decontamination process much easier in case of the dreaded you-know-whats. I haven't used them as wash basins, but the idea is great. Once I was in an albergue with no wash basin available to soak my blistered foot. I could have used one of those bags!

I trust the simple roll top sealing of my Snugpak dri-saks over drawstring closure or any zip-loc type bag which closure wears out with repeated openings.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back