• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SIM Card El Camino del Norte and El Camino Primitivo

Susan Watson

Watsons go Walkabout
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023 -Camino del Norte /Primitivo/Finisterre
Hi, My husband and I are planning our very first (and hopefully not last) Camino commencing on 25 May from Irun along the del Norte and then breaking off to complete the Primitivo. Can anyone advise the best place in Irun to get a SIM card and also the best type to get which gives as wide a coverage as possible along both routes. We fly from Perth in Australia to Paris and then will take the TVG from Paris to Hendaye before commencing our walk. Any info would be much appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Susan!!

Nice election of Camino! I am sure you will enjoy it a lot!!

You will find lots of shops with mobiles.

Just to mention one with most main brands:

The Phone House
C/ Almirante Arizmendi, 9
Teléfono: +34 943090278

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

Hi, My husband and I are planning our very first (and hopefully not last) Camino commencing on 25 May from Irun along the del Norte and then breaking off to complete the Primitivo. Can anyone advise the best place in Irun to get a SIM card and also the best type to get which gives as wide a coverage as possible along both routes. We fly from Perth in Australia to Paris and then will take the TVG from Paris to Hendaye before commencing our walk. Any info would be much appreciated.

Susan,

Welcome to the forum!

For more on walking from the Hendaye rr station over the international foot bridge to Irun see the posts/links in this
earlier thread.

Also see
these posts.

Since you may be walking from the Hendaye gare to Irun do stop at the small bar/resto Chez Alain on the way at 11 ave d'Espagne. They are most friendly and do a very good daily menu for 13.50 euros. If you wish you can even take a shower for free! The place is a routiers or truck stop but in no way hyper macho. I loved it autumn 2015. See more here--
http://restoroutier.free.fr/fiche_64_hendaye.htm

Bon chemin and Buen camino to both of you !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We had Orange phones which had good coverage on the Norte (started from Santander) and the Primitivo.
Sometimes it can work out cheaper to buy a simple PAYG phone and voucher top-ups as they often come with a given number of starter minutes/texts. Smart phones - then SIM might be the better option.
With either option if these come with a 'pack' you need to remember to follow the instruction to stop the pack, especially if you have loaded more money, as the pack will auto-renew and deduct the money from credit.

Last edited:
Susan,

Welcome to the forum!

For more on walking from the Hendaye rr station over the international foot bridge to Irun see the posts/links in this
earlier thread.

Also see these posts.

Since you may be walking from the Hendaye gare to Irun do stop at the small bar/resto Chez Alain on the way at 11 ave d'Espagne. They are most friendly and do a very good daily menu for 13.50 euros. If you wish you can even take a shower for free! The place is a routiers or truck stop but in no way hyper macho. I loved it autumn 2015. See more here--
http://restoroutier.free.fr/fiche_64_hendaye.htm

Bon chemin and Buen camino to both of you !
Thank you so much for the information and your good wishes. Yes we are planning on walking from Hendaye gare to Irun and as we will be arriving around lunch time will definitely put Chez Alain on our itinerary. Spending many years in country Australia truck stops are part of our way of life when travelling.

We had Orange phones which had good coverage on the Norte (started from Santander) and the Primitivo.
Sometimes it can work out cheaper to buy a simple PAYG phone and voucher top-ups as they often come with a given number of starter minutes/texts. Smart phones - then SIM might be the better option.
With either option if these come with a 'pack' you need to remember to follow the instruction to stop the pack, especially if you have loaded more money, as the pack will auto-renew and deduct the money from credit.
Thank you for the information Tia, I will have a smart phone so will look at the SIM and the tip on stopping the auto-renew.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Susan!!

Nice election of Camino! I am sure you will enjoy it a lot!!

You will find lots of shops with mobiles.

Just to mention one with most main brands:

The Phone House
C/ Almirante Arizmendi, 9
Teléfono: +34 943090278

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!
Thank you Lirsy
It is nice to have an actual address we can look up and go directly to.

San Sebastián will have a very wide selection of phone shops to choose from. It is just one day (or 2) away from Irun.
There are several threads discussing SIM cards. I am on my phone at the moment and not easy to search and link the threads.
Maybe someone can point you to a recent discussion.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi there
I too am doing the Norte after staying on Paris for a week. Can you please tell me about the TVG - is it the train?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.