• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SIM card for France and Spain

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
We're walking from Switzerland, following the via Gebennensis to Le Puy-en-Velay, then to SJPDP, crossing to Hendaye/Irun on the Voie Nive-Bidassoa, to walk the Camino del Norte to SDC.
We were thinking of getting a French SIM card at the start of our trip, and keep it for the duration of our walk, as apparently there are no surcharges for roaming.
However, posts on this forum seem to indicate that rates in Spain are better than in France, so should we get one SIM card for France, and then another one for Spain?
Thank you in advance for any opinion/advice/information/suggestion/recommendation.
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a French prepaid SIM card and use it till it runs out of data and credits, once you cross into Spain, you'll no longer be able into a store and top off credit to a French SIM card unless you set up an online account to do so, if you can set up an account, you'll be able to keep your French SIM card for the whole trip.
Spain has some really great prepaid SIM cards with data deals that are cheaper than French phone providers.
Here is a link for prepaid SIM cards with data. http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Europe

The easiest way I know of is to buy a SIM card from a major company like Orange while you are in France. You will be able to keep using it across Spain and save the effort of getting a new card later. Sounds like a great trip, Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just tried to buy an orange sim card in Paris today, hoping to also use it when we start the Norte next week. But the only deal available (and I tried two different stores) was 40 Euros for only 2 weeks. Way more expensive than I paid in Spain last year. Settled on a Lycamobile card for 20 Euros for a month, and just hoping it also works in Spain.

Just tried to buy an orange sim card in Paris today, hoping to also use it when we start the Norte next week. But the only deal available (and I tried two different stores) was 40 Euros for only 2 weeks. Way more expensive than I paid in Spain last year. Settled on a Lycamobile card for 20 Euros for a month, and just hoping it also works in Spain.

If you can please let me know how the Lycamobile SIM works for you. I'm considering the same option for my Chemin LePuy this summer.

Many Thanks,
Gary

If you can please let me know how the Lycamobile SIM works for you. I'm considering the same option for my Chemin LePuy this summer.

Many Thanks,
Gary
Worked fine in Paris and on train down to Spanish border. 4g speeds. Didn't work, though, in Spain, but it sounds like you'll just be in France.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Worked fine in Paris and on train down to Spanish border. 4g speeds. Didn't work, though, in Spain, but it sounds like you'll just be in France.
No good reason I can think of why a French SIM would not work in Spain. Are you sure that you had international roaming enabled on your phone?

That does sound a little odd that it doesn't work in Spain. Hope that changes for you. I'll be in France, Spain and Italy on my trip this summer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.