• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SIM card for Spain and Portugal?

LynneR

Time of past OR future Camino
CF '16, '18
If I get a SIM card in Portugal, will it also work in Spain? I should add I have never used a SIM card and the whole idea of messing with my phone makes me nervous. In the past I have used my Verizon international plan, but I want to be both economical about usage costs and safe while traveling alone.
Also, will I be able to download maps, use internet, text, etc with a SIM card? (apologies for my lack of knowledge!!)
Thanks for you help!
Lynne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A SIM card bought in Portugal will work in Spain. EU roaming rules mean that you pay the same rates - set by the Portuguese company - in both countries. You will be able to download data of any type. The cost of doing so is set by the phone company. You can shop around for a tariff that gives you the balance of calls, SMS messages and data that you need.

Edit: I've just read a recent post from someone saying that a Portuguese SIM they bought did not allow roaming in Spain. Worked for me but others seem to find otherwise. It is worth checking specifically with the Portuguese seller that the SIM and tariff do include international roaming.

Last edited:
A SIM card bought in Portugal will work in Spain. EU roaming rules mean that you pay the same rates - set by the Portuguese company - in both countries. You will be able to download data of any type. The cost of doing so is set by the phone company. You can shop around for a tariff that gives you the balance of calls, SMS messages and data that you need.
thank you for the info, we got vodaphone SIM cards @ Porto airport. so far, so good... we've began our 1st ever Camino today, because of time & our love for the beach, we decided on the Camino Portuguese, Coastal route... we are loving the culure, the people & the Country... 2.5 years in the planning & all worth it! Rob & Marcy Downing~
2 stamps & counting... Camino baby!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The EU SIM must work everywhere in the EU directive doesn't take effect until sometime this July.

It is possible to get SIM cards that cover voice and text alone and others that work only for data. Check that what they sell you has all three.

If you have data then you have internet access. Connect to wifi when available though to reduce your data connection usage.

If I get a SIM card in Portugal, will it also work in Spain? I should add I have never used a SIM card and the whole idea of messing with my phone makes me nervous. In the past I have used my Verizon international plan, but I want to be both economical about usage costs and safe while traveling alone.
Also, will I be able to download maps, use internet, text, etc with a SIM card? (apologies for my lack of knowledge!!)
Thanks for you help!
Lynne
If you have a mobile phone; you have a SIM card. The SIM is your phone’s identity to the mobile networks. It (not your phone) has your ‘phone number’; for example.

Replacing your current SIM with another - in this case for Spain and Portugal - gives your phone a new identity and a different basis for paying to access the mobile networks. You’ll also have a different phone number until you replace your original SIM

It does not change the general functionality of your phone; its contacts list; whatever apps you have installed, and so on.

If you have a recent phone it is possible that you may be able to use an eSIM. I may not live long enough to coherently explain that; so I’ll not try.

If you’re concerned; I’d strongly suggest going to a physical network providers shop with real people who can help you in the first big town you come to. (Vodafone would be my preference). Let them sort it out for you.

I’d strongly suggest going to a physical network providers shop with real people who can help you in the first big town you come to.
Good idea but do this at home too before you go. Go to a store that sells SIMs for the network that you use, tell them what you will be doing and ask them if they could show you the same things that a network provider in Europe would do.

This would be the time to ask if your phone is locked. That means that a flag has been set in your phone by your network provider so the phone will not work with any other provider. Your provider may do this if you bought your phone from them at a discount. To get their money back for the discount for a period of time they require you to stay with them. If you are visiting another country and ask really nice they may unlock the phone for you so you can use a SIM from another country.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Some of the very cheap SIM cards sold in Portugal are aimed at tourists who only spend two weeks in Portugal and then go home. These SIM cards don't work in Spain.

Ask when you buy the SIM card, "will this SIM work for data and voice in Spain?"

Ask the store that you buy the SIM from to install it for you AND ask them to turn on Roaming.

If roaming is not turned on then even if your SIM could work in Spain, it won't.

If you will need to recharge the money on your phone plan before you return home then do this before you leave Portugal because sometimes it is difficult to do once you leave the country. Sometimes there is no problem putting more money into the phone account from Spain but it would be unfortunate to find out the hard way if you had already left Portugal.

If you have problems once you have left Portugal then you could simply buy another, Spanish, SIM but it is usually convenient to only have to buy one SIM.

Save your original SIM card somewhere safe because you will need it again when you return home.

Thanks for you help!
Lynne
Got a 10 gig sim card in Porto on May 2 for 20€ have posted pics and used for googlemmaps and research like I was at home in the states .. it was only good for 30 days and to date I've used just over 3.5 gig... Have completed the Camino in SdC and now traveling across Spain... Fear not, you'll be fine..

Thanks for you help!
Lynne
US international plans are a total rip-off. Buy a SIM card and plan in Portugal or Spain or elsewhere in the EU. You will have service throughout the EU. Your roaming data limits will be lower than in the country where you bought the SIM/plan. Example: my Italian plan gives me 60 GB of data in Italy but only 6 GB roaming throughout the EU. I pay 10 euro per month. Forget Verizon.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Please read this.
I bought a tourist vodaphone card in Madrid and it was easy. cheap and came with unlimited data. The catch was it was only good for 26 days. I tried to top up the card and while vodaphone took my money, the card was not updated. I lost an additional 20 euros because I did not understand it was only good for 26 days. It was the tourist card- great value and I should have bought two.
Remember if you pull your sim card out, you need have a place to store it... I lost mine. The problem with that is if someone pops it in their phone, they have access to your second factor authorization options... I had to cancel my phone and get a new sim card when I got back home in north america. They are so small and easy to loose.
I also recommend using the code protection on your sim card. You need to put the right number before the card becomes active. Just another security feature. I recommend using the whatsapp with your new phone number and all your pals will know to contact you. If you loose the card, the new user will need that code to activate the card...great protection.
Good luck- the camino provides but you have to get your own cell card.
Buen camino

Edit: I've just read a recent post from someone saying that a Portuguese SIM they bought did not allow roaming in Spain. Worked for me but others seem to find otherwise. It is worth checking specifically with the Portuguese seller that the SIM and tariff do include international roaming.
I got a SIM card in France, but it worked only for a limited time. I then got one in Spain. I didn’t have any problems. I would get one in Spain, it will be the safer bet.

I just use my normal T-Mobile account with no international plan. I get free data (at 2.5g speed), free texting and .25 a minute calling. I use Wi-Fi when available for larger downloads and WhatsApp for us calls. The rate is for local calls, not international to home, etc. T-Mobile is part of Deutsch Telecom i believe. Another option is to get a local SIM card. I have 2 sims in my phone, an Apple XR. 1 is an electronic sim and the second is physical. I use the second for Verizon in the rural areas of the states. You can turn off or on either line. When I did the Camino there was Wi-Fi everywhere it seemed. I’ve been in the EU for 5 weeks and bumped my charges by $10. Hope this is helpful.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I get my sim from https://simcard.spainsur.com/ its sent to you at home and activated when you insert and turn on the phone. Best to do that when you land.
You are limited when roaming under EU laws, so if you buy a Portugues card, you are limited when in Spain. If you buy a Spanish card, you are limited in Portugal. Where do you think you’ll be when you hit your limit?
My card comes with 25GB & 300 minutes. More than enough for two weeks of walking with mapping, reserving ahead, and pack transport. Only 10 EU to top up if I butt dial a bunch of people.

I just use my normal T-Mobile account with no international plan. I get free data (at 2.5g speed), free texting and .25 a minute calling. I use Wi-Fi when available for larger downloads and WhatsApp for us calls. The rate is for local calls, not international to home, etc. T-Mobile is part of Deutsch Telecom i believe. Another option is to get a local SIM card. I have 2 sims in my phone, an Apple XR. 1 is an electronic sim and the second is physical. I use the second for Verizon in the rural areas of the states. You can turn off or on either line. When I did the Camino there was Wi-Fi everywhere it seemed. I’ve been in the EU for 5 weeks and bumped my charges by $10. Hope this is helpful.
Correction 2G speeds

US international plans are a total rip-off. Buy a SIM card and plan in Portugal or Spain or elsewhere in the EU. You will have service throughout the EU. Your roaming data limits will be lower than in the country where you bought the SIM/plan. Example: my Italian plan gives me 60 GB of data in Italy but only 6 GB roaming throughout the EU. I pay 10 euro per month. Forget Verizon.
We travel on business alot and using an international from our provider works well we can call and recieve calls from anywhere in the world and have access to the internet while walking. It is worth the $45 per month.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I land in Porto or Madrid I go into a store at the airport, ask for a SIM card for how long I’m staying, hand them my phone and let them put in the new SIM card. Put my Canadian SIM in a safe place, pay and I’m off. 5 minutes tops, 4 Camino’s and has worked every time.

Got a 10 gig sim card in Porto on May 2 for 20€ have posted pics and used for googlemmaps and research like I was at home in the states .. it was only good for 30 days and to date I've used just over 3.5 gig... Have completed the Camino in SdC and now traveling across Spain... Fear not, you'll be fine..
Did you happen to find a store at the airport? Or in the city?
Thanks for your advice!!

When I land in Porto or Madrid I go into a store at the airport, ask for a SIM card for how long I’m staying, hand them my phone and let them put in the new SIM card. Put my Canadian SIM in a safe place, pay and I’m off. 5 minutes tops, 4 Camino’s and has worked every time.
Excellent to know this. Thanks. When and how do you get your SIM card back into your phone at the end?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Heading to Portugal soon to walk the coastal route. Do you remember where in porto you purchased your sim. Is there a particular brand name for your sim ...safe travels

We just got back from a month in Europe. We, like you, understand that it was EU strict rules that a card in one country allows roaming everywhere. That was, in fact, the case during our travel in previous years. Not this time. I urge you and others to deal only with the providers. There are other companies that offer cheap cards that have very limited use. Be sure you know what you are getting and have them not only install the SIM, but also register it (this can be complicated) and then test it to your satisfaction.

I'm not sure how what seemed to work so easy and well in the past has somehow been messed up.

Thanks for your advice!!
Vodafone is one of the biggest players in Portugal. Have used one of their "pay as you go" phones for years now. Great service and their stores are everywhere, including the airports

Lisbon

1653457089949.png

Porto:

1653457413834.png

Bom caminho!

As for Spain, I don't know the players, having never set up a mobile (cellphone) there, but this article may help:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for your advice!!
It would be very unusual for an airport not to have at least one mobile phone shop and in the bigger airports there are multiple phone shops.

Someone mentioned Vodafone in Portugal. I use Vodafone in ANZ and Spain. While these companies share a name they are separate.

One of the things that I like about Vodafone (and it may apply to other large companies) is that:
1 I can top up my phone over the Internet using my credit card. This is very convenient for me.
2 In Spain, as you would expect, the Vodafone website is in Spanish. However, they have an option to switch to English for most things that are commonly needed.

Excellent to know this. Thanks. When and how do you get your SIM card back into your phone at the end?
Either you or someone else puts your original SIM card back in the phone for you.

If you have plenty of time at the airport before flying home then you might like to ask one of the customer service people in one of the airport phone shops to put your original SIM card back in for you so that you have a working phone when you get back to your home country.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Either you or someone else puts your original SIM card back in the phone for you.
Be especially careful if your phone takes a nano-SIM (most recent models do). It is vaguely similar in size and shape to a micro-SD memory card which may also be fitted in the same carrier frame. The sockets in the carrier frame have different shapes which should make it very hard to replace the cards in the wrong positions. But my wife once managed to fry a SIM card by mixing up the SIM and memory cards then forcing the carrier back into the phone!

Someone mentioned Vodafone in Portugal. I use Vodafone in ANZ and Spain. While these companies share a name they are separate.

One of the things that I like about Vodafone (and it may apply to other large companies) is that:
1 I can top up my phone over the Internet using my credit card. This is very convenient for me.
2 In Spain, as you would expect, the Vodafone website is in Spanish. However, they have an option to switch to English for most things that are commonly needed.
One of the things the long article says is that expats, and other foreigners, like Vodafone in Spain just *because* it is in so many other European countries, including Portugal and the UK, and thus it's relatively easy to move its account from country to country. It seems it's not the biggest player in Spain, but the biggest player among English-speakers.

I hope you don't mind me jumping into your thread with a question — I wasn't concerned about getting a SIM card before reading this thread, but now I'm not sure. Is getting a SIM card in Spain worth the trouble if your carrier offers SMS, voice and data for an additional $10 US/day with a max of $100 US/month? Is it far less expensive and easy to get a SIM for Spain? I'm almost positive my phone is locked and it wouldn't be as easy as just popping in a new SIM card like in the "old days."

Thanks for you help!
Lynne
I purchased a Portuguese SIM card at the airport and asked them to put it in my phone I think it was a 30 day plan and had enough data to do everything I needed from looking up accommodation to using my GPS pretty much every day.

Is it far less expensive and easy to get a SIM for Spain? I

I'm a Brit and walked the Via de la Plata earlier this year. On arrival in Malaga I paid €20 for a pre-paid SIM with 30GB of data plus calls and text messages. This was valid for a month. It took less than 10 minutes in an Orange shop in a mall. I used WiFi where possible and I did not come close to using my full data allowance. Far cheaper than your $10 per day suggestion.

Save your original SIM card somewhere safe because you will need it again when you return home.
Agreed.

Another important reason to very carefully save your original SIM card is to prevent others from employing it to conduct telephonic activities for which they would not easily be held accountable but you probably would be (because the card was issued to you):
to steal your identity,
to access prohibited types of online data, or,
to make free (for them) telephone calls.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Be especially careful if your phone takes a nano-SIM (most recent models do). It is vaguely similar in size and shape to a micro-SD memory card which may also be fitted in the same carrier frame. The sockets in the carrier frame have different shapes which should make it very hard to replace the cards in the wrong positions. But my wife once managed to fry a SIM card by mixing up the SIM and memory cards then forcing the carrier back into the phone!
As a good friend tells me almost weekly you (or more precisely, his wife) can get the key fob of a 3-series BMW into the dashboard slot in a Porsche Cayenne if you use your foot to literally kick it in ‘because it’s a big tight’.

You can’t get it out again without a big bill from the dealer.

The first time that I got a SIM card I was told that after the initial 28 days I should go to a Vodafone store to renew the plan . The next year I specifically asked what I should do if I was no where near a Vodafone store on day 28. The very nice and helpful lady at the store gave me a number to call with a recorded message in Spanish that asked what I needed, the answer being "renovar beneficios". Then I was asked "Quiere renovar beneficios?" So, when I needed to renew I was at a bar near Finisterre that accepted payment, my account was immediately credited, I made the phone call and the phone was "back to new". I was so afraid that I would miss something but it all worked perfectly!

Thanks for you help!
Lynne
Feel uncomfortable? When at home purchase the cheapest Simm card you can find, less than $20. Practice. This will also confirm that you phone is unlocked.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In the past I have used my Verizon international plan,

Feel uncomfortable? When at home purchase the cheapest Simm card you can find, less than $20. Practice. This will also confirm that you phone is unlocked.
The OP uses Verizon at home and Verizon uses the CDMA protocol (it likely also supports the GSM protocol or else the phone wouldn't work well or at all in the EU). Both AT&T and T-mobile use the GSM protocol that is in use in the EU. I suggest that a trial SIM swap be done by buying a T-mobile SIM. If it works then the phone must be unlocked because it can use different networks and we know for sure it supports GSM.

Currently T-mobile has a prepaid plan for $10.

Although there are other network providers most will piggyback off the major providers. When performing a test I would prefer controlling as many variables as I can so I would pick from only T-mobile or AT&T.

Last edited:
Erm ... don't make it complicated. The OP, @LynneR, wrote in an older post that she has an iPhone. If this is still the case, then there are very simple steps to a) open the Sim tray, take the Sim card and put it back in (just to know how it is done) and b) to check under Settings whether the iPhone is locked or not - there is an item called Network Provider Lock or Carrier Lock. If it says No SIM restrictions, it is unlocked.

Also, it will work in Europe.

Debated about getting a SIM card but I don't speak enough Spanish that I would be making any phone calls. So much free WIFI that I never really regretted not getting the SIM card after five weeks in Spain. And of course not being totally independent helps to interact more with others.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is at link below a table of the international compatibilities of various models and sub-models of Apple iPhones. If I understand the table correctly (it is quite possible that I do not), not every iPhone will function correctly in every country.

Just a thought ...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Possibly, but the first paragraph of that site states:
"Find the iPhone that’s right for your country or region."
Still irrelevant. The OP does not want to buy the newest fanciest iPhone. She wants to buy a second SIM card in Portugal or Spain for the phone she already owns.

“Also, it will work in Europe” was a light-hearted remark. I start to regret that I wrote it.

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind me jumping into your thread with a question — I wasn't concerned about getting a SIM card before reading this thread, but now I'm not sure. Is getting a SIM card in Spain worth the trouble if your carrier offers SMS, voice and data for an additional $10 US/day with a max of $100 US/month? Is it far less expensive and easy to get a SIM for Spain? I'm almost positive my phone is locked and it wouldn't be as easy as just popping in a new SIM card like in the "old days."
It is up to you to decide.

Last time I was in Europe I stayed for 11 weeks and so on your US option that would have cost me US$300 versus the €45 that I paid for a Spanish SIM. I always buy an unlocked phone and so I have no issues with unlocking it.

It is up to you to decide.

Last time I was in Europe I stayed for 11 weeks and so on your US option that would have cost me US$300 versus the €45 that I paid for a Spanish SIM. I always buy an unlocked phone and so I have no issues with unlocking it.
Thank you! Knowing the pricing for a SIM card and service in Spain is very helpful!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for you help!
Lynne
Am on the Camino Portuguese.. NOT WORTH IT..
Stick with your own provider… big hassle getting a SIM and then 2 GB data … which gets gobbled up as soon as you start finding the tracks / Albergues/ WhatsApp etc
Very Best Wishes
Capt Bonnie

Am on the Camino Portuguese.. NOT WORTH IT..
Stick with your own provider… big hassle getting a SIM and then 2 GB data … which gets gobbled up as soon as you start finding the tracks / Albergues/ WhatsApp etc
Very Best Wishes
Capt Bonnie
Everyone will reach their own conclusion about which is better. But I disagree that it’s a hassle. So long as your phone is unlocked, getting a prepaid SIM card is very easy, and no plan that I know of is limited to 2 GB of data. If you buy it at a company store, the staff will insert the card and help you get your bearings. I always tape my US sim card to the inside of the back cover of my passport to make sure it arrives with me when I return home.

Vodafone’s plans are very reasonable and offer large amounts of data and phone calls. The 20€ plan below offers 300 GB and unlimited national calls. The 15 euro plan offers 100 GB and 800 minutes of international calls plus some national calls. A little research will bring you to the plan that works best for you.

If you use your tracks with offline maps, there is no data consumption to follow tracks. In fact, I usually turn off my data except when I specifically want to use it, since wifi is everywhere. But with the amounts offered in these plans, that wouldn’t be necessary.

One thing I learned, from a very helpful Vodafone employee in a store about 7 days out from my starting point, was that it’s important to check to see which apps you have authorized for data consumption. He found that I had my App Store authorized to use data, and concluded it was the primary culprit in eating up data because it automatically updates all your apps if you don’t limit it to wifii.

Some may prefer to stay with their home plans, and I know some providers offer free data overseas or other perks, but the SIM card option is cheap.

630373F5-9C08-4A3C-8ABF-88C272007F53.png

€83,-

I even used Vodafone when I was working in the Middle East. It's everywhere! Like you said, one big company, but each country is a separate entity.

Thanks for you help!
Lynne

We travel on business alot and using an international from our provider works well we can call and recieve calls from anywhere in the world and have access to the internet while walking. It is worth the $45 per month.
Thanks for you help!
Lynne
Avoid Orange France. You cannot recharge with a credit card issued outside of France. Expensive rubbish!!?

After 3 Camino’s, dont understand all the fuss about SIM cards. Simple to purchase … the sell will install for you and you’re off. as far as a different phone number … send it to my emergency contact and that it. Works in wherever you tell them you need it for. And I found Orange to be just fine. But heh … if you want to use your home providers international plan, more money to them

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is that 10 uero for a month or 12 month term? Also where did you purchase this? Thanks in advance

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back