• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SIM card Madrid Airport

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Flights booked for arrival at Madrid International airport. Limited research tells me that BetelPhone is just outside the arrivals area in T1.

BetelPhone website has a form that can be completed in advance with flight arrival times…indicates SIM card will be waiting upon arrival. Vodafone and Orange plans are available…don’t see anywhere on form where one chooses so assume the plan is chosen in BetelPhone store.

Seems like it should be a fairly easy relatively quick process. Am I missing or misinterpreting something important?

I would be leaning towards Vodafone…Camino Salvador and Primitivo are planned.

Merci

Guy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's the one.
I ordered from them for my trip starting May the 10th.
Had the Orange sim delivered in the States(Florida😜).
Everything went according to their advertisement.
Excellent and friendly service.
Enjoy!

Canuck appreciate the reply…have a few questions if you don’t mind. Did not pick up from the BetelPhone website that delivery to home address was an option. I understood filling out the online form facilitated the process upon landing in Madrid…sim card waiting at BetelPhone so….

You have the SIM card pre-trip. Questions…

What was the process for ordering and choosing prepaid plan? Orange vs Vodafone? Do you insert SIM card yourself upon landing in Madrid and how is the plan activated?

Sorry…I know these are real basic questions however that is my level of knowledge at this point.

Thanks

Guy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Canuck appreciate the reply…have a few questions if you don’t mind. Did not pick up from the BetelPhone website that delivery to home address was an option. I understood filling out the online form facilitated the process upon landing in Madrid…sim card waiting at BetelPhone so….
The delivery was an option on their site. Available only in the USA.
The phone booth is closed for the time being. The option is to have the sim waiting for you on landing. Extra cost of 20 euros?. They will ask for the necessary info to have someone waiting for you on arrival.
You have the SIM card pre-trip. Questions…

What was the process for ordering and choosing prepaid plan? Orange vs Vodafone?
You have all the options on their site when ordering.
Do you insert SIM card yourself upon landing in Madrid and how is the plan activated?
After receiving the info from you, they activate the sim. The person meeting you will help setting it up in your phone. No worries.
Sorry…I know these are real basic questions however that is my level of knowledge at this point.
Don't be sorry, be happy.
Cheers.
Thanks

Guy

Flights booked for arrival at Madrid International airport. Limited research tells me that BetelPhone is just outside the arrivals area in T1.

BetelPhone website has a form that can be completed in advance with flight arrival times…indicates SIM card will be waiting upon arrival. Vodafone and Orange plans are available…don’t see anywhere on form where one chooses so assume the plan is chosen in BetelPhone store.

Seems like it should be a fairly easy relatively quick process. Am I missing or misinterpreting something important?

Merci

Guy
Orange worked fine for us on the Salvador and Primitivo, but so did Vodaphone for others. Not to worry.

So....I have a SIM card from Orange that I used in September 2021
I removed and replaced with my older SIM upon my return home.
Does anyone know will the ORANGE SIM card from last year Still work if I switch it with my home card , Since it did Still have time ?
Or do I have to set up with a New card an company again ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So....I have a SIM card from Orange that I used in September 2021
I removed and replaced with my older SIM upon my return home.
Does anyone know will the ORANGE SIM card from last year Still work if I switch it with my home card , Since it did Still have time ?
Or do I have to set up with a New card an company again ?
If you haven’t topped it off to keep the account active, which I think you must do every 6 months or so, the phone number will have been given to someone else. You will need a new card. At least that is what I understand.

Limited research tells me that BetelPhone is just outside the arrivals area in T1.

Back to a more basic question about getting a SIM card in the airport. My understanding is that these are not official Vodaphone, Orange, or Movistar outlets but a broker, and that the charges are higher, but I am totally unsure about that.

I remember some earlier discussion about buying SIM cards in the airport and my definite impression was that it was recommended that they be bought in an actual store run by the provider. It seemed like you were going to get better customer service that way if things got messed up along the way, but I have no first hand experience. I have always just bought a SIM card in a Vodafone store in my starting point city. Anyone with better info?

I remember some earlier discussion about buying SIM cards in the airport and my definite impression was that it was recommended that they be bought in an actual store run by the provider.
Thanks Laurie…I will be transferring within the airport so not much time to find an actual store. A little higher cost is ok for me…comment about potential service issues a little more of a concern.

Guy

Thanks Laurie…I will be transferring within the airport so not much time to find an actual store. A little higher cost is ok for me…comment about potential service issues a little more of a concern.
As I said, I am not sure about service issues at all. I was suggesting not that you leave the airport to buy the card, but rather that you wait till you reach your destination city and buy it there. Any of the obvious camino starting points will have multiple options. I usually google one out ahead of time and know where I will go — this past camino it was at the Vodafone in León, which is right across from the Gaudi building.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As I said, I am not sure about service issues at all. I was suggesting not that you leave the airport to buy the card, but rather that you wait till you reach your destination city and buy it there. Any of the obvious camino starting points will have multiple options. I usually google one out ahead of time and know where I will go — this past camino it was at the Vodafone in León, which is right across from the Gaudi building.
Thanks…appreciate the suggestion…good to have a very practical alternative to airport pickup.
Guy

I landed at the Madrid airport on Easter Sunday, a week ago. At Terminal 1 I saw a convenience store with a poster on the window that said Sim Cards. I went in and bought an Orange sim card from a very helpful woman who told me that the Camino was the best experience of her life (except for her sons). She helped me open my phone and insert the card. I have been using it without any problems for the past week.

Merci

Guy
5 caminos since 2016 and I always get an orange mundo SIM card at Madrid airport. Clerk will handle all set up and switching. Last year I bought 20 gigs per month for 2 months for I think 50 euros, even though I booked 35 days. In the past the only way to top up that card was at an Orange store that can only be found in the larger cities. Paying a bit more was worth not having the top up hassle where you can still wait over an hour at the store. News stand top ups did not work, nor could anyone, including Parador personnel, figure out how to top the thing up on line. Vodafone might be more user friendly, but I could not find a vendor for them open in Madrid airport.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
5 caminos since 2016 and I always get an orange mundo SIM card at Madrid airport. Clerk will handle all set up and switching. Last year I bought 20 gigs per month for 2 months for I think 50 euros, even though I booked 35 days. In the past the only way to top up that card was at an Orange store that can only be found in the larger cities. Paying a bit more was worth not having the top up hassle where you can still wait over an hour at the store. News stand top ups did not work, nor could anyone, including Parador personnel, figure out how to top the thing up on line. Vodafone might be more user friendly, but I could not find a vendor for them open in Madrid airport.
Would appreciate knowing where you buy the orange mound SIM card at Madrid airport. So far have heard of 3 possible locations...2 outside T1, 1 T2. Sounds like you found a easy place to deal with...that's what I am looking for as well.

Thanks

Guy

Would appreciate knowing where you buy the orange mound SIM card at Madrid airport. So far have heard of 3 possible locations...2 outside T1, 1 T2. Sounds like you found a easy place to deal with...that's what I am looking for as well.

Thanks

Guy
Come through passport control and into the main area. It is very close to the information point. I was just there and now at gate to Pamplona, and sorry I didn’t get the name of the place. Now cost is 35 euro for 20 gigs, but leftover data is transferable to the next month. I use wifi hubs whenever convenient, so 20 gigs will last me the 35 days. I often use my own data when albergue wifi gets slow with a lot of pilgrims using it

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.