• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sim Card Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaminoJoy123

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello chatty Camino people who use some technology...

I'm thinking about getting the Orange Tourist Sim plan.

One site explained: it's 30 days; 35 Euros; 6GB data; at 4G speed; 30 mins voice. Assuming this includes unlimited text, right? Texting is how people make plans and keep in touch in the modern world right? Or does no one bother with texting on Camino? (Can't find the link for this version of the plan now)

On another site it said only 3GB data (navegación por internet) and then they throttle your speed if you go over.

What is the real deal on data for Orange tourist package?

How much data do people remember using in a month in Spain? What is realistic? You don't really need GPS on Camino Frances, but you might be surfing the web to look up whatever. You might still jump on youtube.

You get a new Spanish number, right? Do people have trouble remembering their new number?

What happens to my current contacts and my notes on my iphone after I put in the the new Sim card in Spain?

Is the language of my phone going to change to Espanol with the new sim card in it?

Are there cards with better deals than Orange?

I didn't understand the whole thing about texting BONO HOLIDAYS. What is that?

Can you tether the iPhone to another Apple device while using Orange?

Suppose I stay in Spain a week or two longer, but not four full weeks more. I'm supposed to pay the full $35 monthly fee again?

I got the info for the Orange tourist pack here:
http://tiendaonline2.orange.es/tarifas/tarjeta/sim-holidays?pst=1

There's a rumor that after you return to the states and put your old sim card back into your older model iPhone, whap, it won't work. What's the truth? (Say, for an iPhone 5 something)

Let's assume the phone works.

If I enter contacts or make notes while using the Spanish sim card, and then I put in my old sim card upon returning to the states, can I still access the contacts and notes from the time in Spain? Will I still be able to see the record of the calls I made in Spain?

I apologize, but my Spanish language ability no es bueno.

Thank you. Looking forward to learning about the experience of others.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have a Spanish Orange SIM card purchased a few years ago and pulled out and re-used each Camino. I have simply no idea how it works or what I get! But it works for phone calls, SMS and internet. I top it up every now and then in a supermarket.

I have always used Vodafone. For about 10E you get a couple of gigs of data. It can be topped off for 5 to 10E when you need more, and it does not expire in 30 days. I usually have to add money once during 30 days. It has phone minutes for Spain, but anything across the border costs a lot of money. I think SMS is included, but I rarely use it.

Yes, I have to work to memorize the phone number. Since it is the lead number for Contacts, it is easy to retrieve.

I swap the chip with a T-mobile pay-as-you-go account. My iPhone 5 is unlocked, so there is not problem freely swapping chips. If you phone is not unlocked, you won't be able to use a new SIM chip.

I can access all the data that I synch to the iCloud. I think that some things you put into an iPhone are stored on the chip, some things are stored on the phone, so I don't know what you will be able to retrieve when your return home. Put the Spanish chip back in, and you should be able to retrieve everything you added.

I don't take a second Apple product to Spain, so I don't know about tethering.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Some feedback in bold ;)

One site explained: it's 30 days; 35 Euros; 6GB data; at 4G speed; 30 mins voice. Assuming this includes unlimited text, right? Texting is how people make plans and keep in touch in the modern world right? Yes, but mostly I would say WhatsApp. Or does no one bother with texting on Camino? (Can't find the link for this version of the plan now)

On another site it said only 3GB data (navegación por internet) and then they throttle your speed if you go over.

What is the real deal on data for Orange tourist package? The people in the shop can explain this to you

How much data do people remember using in a month in Spain? What is realistic? You don't really need GPS on Camino Frances, but you might be surfing the web to look up whatever. You might still jump on youtube.
1 GB is enough for email checking, chatting on WhatsApp and looking up stuff on the internet.
3 GB is enough if streaming music and randomly watching a youtube video
6 GB is more than enough for additional GPS and continuously watching videos on youtube

You get a new Spanish number, right? Do people have trouble remembering their new number? If you use this number to call, note it down. If you use WhatApp, your older number will stay the same

What happens to my current contacts and my notes on my iphone after I put in the the new Sim card in Spain? Nothing, still in your phone :)

Is the language of my phone going to change to Espanol with the new sim card in it? No

Are there cards with better deals than Orange? Same mas o menos - you might save 5 EUR, but in the end competition is high and therefore mostly the same deals

I didn't understand the whole thing about texting BONO HOLIDAYS. What is that? No idea - Google?

Can you tether the iPhone to another Apple device while using Orange? Depends how you want to tether. e.g. via Bluetooth, than this is another connection and independent from Orange

Suppose I stay in Spain a week or two longer, but not four full weeks more. I'm supposed to pay the full $35 monthly fee again? Mostly those touristic sim cards don't work after their life time, you most likely have to buy a new one.

There's a rumor that after you return to the states and put your old sim card back into your older model iPhone, whap, it won't work. What's the truth? (Say, for an iPhone 5 something) Yes, it's a rumor

If I enter contacts or make notes while using the Spanish sim card, and then I put in my old sim card upon returning to the states, can I still access the contacts and notes from the time in Spain? Will I still be able to see the record of the calls I made in Spain? Yes, absolutely. This data saves on your phone, not the sim card

I have always used Vodafone. For about 10E you get a couple of gigs of data. It can be topped off for 5 to 10E when you need more, and it does not expire in 30 days. I usually have to add money once during 30 days. It has phone minutes for Spain, but anything across the border costs a lot of money. I think SMS is included, but I rarely use it.

Yes, I have to work to memorize the phone number. Since it is the lead number for Contacts, it is easy to retrieve.

I swap the chip with a T-mobile pay-as-you-go account. My iPhone 5 is unlocked, so there is not problem freely swapping chips. If you phone is not unlocked, you won't be able to use a new SIM chip.

I can access all the data that I synch to the iCloud. I think that some things you put into an iPhone are stored on the chip, some things are stored on the phone, so I don't know what you will be able to retrieve when your return home. Put the Spanish chip back in, and you should be able to retrieve everything you added.

I don't take a second Apple product to Spain, so I don't know about tethering.

Right on! You've got the old iphone 5! yeh mine is unlocked. you go back and forth to spain and norteamerica with no problemo.

A few questions because I really don't grasp what data exactly is in the cloud, and what is on my phone's permanent hardware Chip, and what is on the removable SIM Cards.

When you were in Spain, all your US contacts and your notes were still available on your phone? Even if you turned off cell data and wifi?

And you did not bring a second Apple device, so you did not "sync" two apple devices, although you may have "signed into" the cloud. Correct? But how does signing into the cloud happen when your phone number is new, and phone number is a backup in case of typo while signing into the cloud account?

And when you put the US card back into the phone, your Spanish contacts and your Spanish notes were still available? Or did you sign into the cloud? And of course your US phone contact list and notes and everything was still fine after you put the US chip back in?

I'm focusing on things like contacts and notes and records of calls, because they look like they could get lost, but photos have a different solution.

Or is this a travel phone only ?

When you were in Spain, all your US contacts and your notes were still available on your phone? Even if you turned off cell data and wifi?
Yes.

But how does signing into the cloud happen when your phone number is new, and phone number is a backup in case of typo while signing into the cloud account?
I think I had to sign into Apple once; then everything synched.

And when you put the US card back into the phone, your Spanish contacts and your Spanish notes were still available?
No such thing, I don't think. Phone calls I made were listed when the SIM chip was in.

And of course your US phone contact list and notes and everything was still fine after you put the US chip back in?
Yes.

Mostly, but I do have the T-Mobile account.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Some feedback in bold ;)

One site explained: it's 30 days; 35 Euros; 6GB data; at 4G speed; 30 mins voice. Assuming this includes unlimited text, right? Texting is how people make plans and keep in touch in the modern world right? Yes, but mostly I would say WhatsApp. Or does no one bother with texting on Camino? (Can't find the link for this version of the plan now)

What is the real deal on data for Orange tourist package? The people in the shop can explain this to you

1 GB is enough for email checking, chatting on WhatsApp and looking up stuff on the internet.
3 GB is enough if streaming music and randomly watching a youtube video
6 GB is more than enough for additional GPS and continuously watching videos on youtube

You get a new Spanish number, right? Do people have trouble remembering their new number? If you use this number to call, note it down. If you use WhatApp, your older number will stay the same

What happens to my current contacts and my notes on my iphone after I put in the the new Sim card in Spain? Nothing, still in your phone :)

Is the language of my phone going to change to Espanol with the new sim card in it? No

Are there cards with better deals than Orange? Same mas o menos - you might save 5 EUR, but in the end competition is high and therefore mostly the same deals

I didn't understand the whole thing about texting BONO HOLIDAYS. What is that? No idea - Google?

Can you tether the iPhone to another Apple device while using Orange? Depends how you want to tether. e.g. via Bluetooth, than this is another connection and independent from Orange

Suppose I stay in Spain a week or two longer, but not four full weeks more. I'm supposed to pay the full $35 monthly fee again? Mostly those touristic sim cards don't work after their life time, you most likely have to buy a new one.

There's a rumor that after you return to the states and put your old sim card back into your older model iPhone, whap, it won't work. What's the truth? (Say, for an iPhone 5 something) Yes, it's a rumor

If I enter contacts or make notes while using the Spanish sim card, and then I put in my old sim card upon returning to the states, can I still access the contacts and notes from the time in Spain? Will I still be able to see the record of the calls I made in Spain? Yes, absolutely. This data saves on your phone, not the sim card

Excellent info! Gracias! You're so smart. Isn't it amazing I can even get through the week when I am this dumb?

But hey, the word is tethering on Apple devices fails under Orange. Even though, yes, bluetooth ought to be independent of Sim cards.

Mostly those touristic sim cards don't work after their life time, you most likely have to buy a new one.
Very good information from Fritzi, except my experience with Vodafone and Lebara was that at the end of the 30 days you can prepay an additional amount at any of the authorized dealers, and continue to use the phone, with same SIM and number. The charge rates for calls and data may be different from the 30-day deal. When you first get the phone, ask about this.

And definitely load Whatsapp before you go to Spain. When I lived there ‘all’ my Spanish friends used it to communicate. And the benefit is that now you can make phone calls from it using wifi.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Right on! You've got the old iphone 5! yeh mine is unlocked. you go back and forth to spain and norteamerica with no problemo.

A few questions because I really don't grasp what data exactly is in the cloud, and what is on my phone's permanent hardware Chip, and what is on the removable SIM Cards.

And you did not bring a second Apple device, so you did not "sync" two apple devices, although you may have "signed into" the cloud. Correct? But how does signing into the cloud happen when your phone number is new, and phone number is a backup in case of typo while signing into the cloud account?

And when you put the US card back into the phone, your Spanish contacts and your Spanish notes were still available? Or did you sign into the cloud? And of course your US phone contact list and notes and everything was still fine after you put the US chip back in?

I'm focusing on things like contacts and notes and records of calls, because they look like they could get lost, but photos have a different solution.

I took my unlocked iPhone 5 in 2013, I bought a Orange prepaid SIM card with data when I landed in Madrid, the only thing that changed is that my iPhone 5 is on Orange with a Spanish number. All my contacts, apps, notes, and photos are stored in the iPhone itself not the SIM card.

When it comes to signing in to iCloud, know your login and password, email it to yourself and also your notes, (hopefully your iPhone is set up with a passcode.)

I switched back to my US SIM card once I landed in the US and was only able to retrieve voicemails, no texts since the US SIM card wasn't in my iPhone for the time I was in Spain.

Don't worry about losing contacts, notes, and records of calls, as long as you keep up with the iCloud backups, they will be saved in the cloud.
I didn't have to use wifi as much so I had wifi turned off most of the time which was a big mistake, I was in Burgos, I realized that all the photos I took were not backed up along with new contacts, so I had to plug it in and connect to wifi and go to settings > iCloud > iCloud backup and clicked back up now, it took several hours for all those photos to upload to the cloud which was a pain, if I had done it every night, iCloud would have had to upload just my newest photos and other recent items.

I have used several SIM cards in my old iPhone 5, T-Mobile US, Telcel Mexico, Orange ES, SMART Philippines, Globe Philippines, and AT&T, never had any issues switching SIM cards from any of them.

A great tip, I take a strip of tape and tape my US SIM card and SIM removal tool (paper clip) to the back of my drivers license so I don't lose it and I can easily switch back once I get to the US.

Orange doesn't have the best coverage, Vodafone is the better carrier and has a better deal for €15 with their tourist SIM and it renews itself the next month provide you top off with another €15 before the 28th day.
https://www.vodafone.es/c/particulares/es/tienda/movil/tourist-in-spain-vf/

I'm new to this forum and the website, so hope you don't mind me joining the thread. I've also posted this to an older thread from 2012.

I'm Australian and will be arriving in Spain then walking the Camino from Portugal. After that I cross back to Portugal and yes - not a very well planned trip, but had some constraints.

My question relates more to data - which Spanish SIM will give optimal use of data in both Spain and Portugal? I'm thinking 3 GB for a 5 week period will be plenty. I expect to make some calls but data is the main consideration, as I will be travelling alone for much o the journey so need Google maps.

I appreciate all tips! Many thanks!

May I post a question about Lefrench SIM? I will be in France before and after my Camino. Can see on their website they will post out their SIM free. Has anyone used this company?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.