• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SIM CARD that works in BOTH France AND Spain

ELHS220

Time of past OR future Camino
Last: FRANCÉS-2023
Please excuse my ignorance, but here goes…..

Is there a “prepago” SIM card that will work in both France and Spain, or do I need to get one in each place?

I arrive in Madrid on May 5. On May 8, I have to be in SJPP where I will be a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office from May 9 to May 23. On May 24, I will start the CF and will be back in Spain until July 21.

I would “like” to be able to get a card in Madrid that would also work during my two-week volunteer stint in SJPP.

If no such thing exists, I will probably just get a second card for my time in France.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get one in any EU country that is neither France nor Spain.

Silly "roaming" rules mean that calls elsewhere to the EU from the country where you obtained your sim card are paid calls, whereas calls from other EU countries are free.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm going to buy my sim card in Sweden and I will be able to use it in any EU country so I'm thinking it will be the same if you buy one in Madrid.
How exciting that you will volunteer at the Pilgrims office. I will see you there on May 13th :)
All the best
Ann

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm going to buy my sim card in Sweden and I will be able to use it in any EU country so I'm thinking it will be the same if you buy one in Madrid.
How exciting that you will volunteer at the Pilgrims office. I will see you there on May 13th :)
All the best
Ann
Great! Say “hello” if you see me!

Great! Say “hello” if you see me!
He's the one in blue. :)

18465.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Is there a “prepago” SIM card that will work in both France and Spain, or do I need to get one in each place?

I arrive in Madrid on May 5. On May 8, I have to be in SJPP where I will be a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office from May 9 to May 23. On May 24, I will start the CF and will be back in Spain until July 21.

I would “like” to be able to get a card in Madrid that would also work during my two-week volunteer stint in SJPP.

If no such thing exists, I will probably just get a second card for my time in France.
in 2019 I used Vodafone while traveling in Spain, France & Italy
my understanding that Orange (as already mentioned by other Esteem Members) is just as good

My Respects on your volunteering at SJPdP - Good Lord Willing, see you come May 20th!

Your Spanish card will work in France too. Anywhere within the E.C. for that matter.
Be sure to set Roaming on "ON"

Buen Camino

Hi, I had the same need. On arrival in Spain I bought a sim from one of the shops that sell all that gear. They sold be a Vodaphine sim and told me it would work all over Europe either I’d not know how to adjust the settings on my phone or it’s actually not true. I was recommended Orange but my Spanish is virtually nonexistent so I took what I was given.

Even though it didn’t work in France I was only without mobile reception for 2 days and the wifi in the auberge met my needs.

EU SIM cards work throughout the EU. Buy one in France and it will work in Spain and vice versa. You may have few GB of data though. Bon voyage.

Your Spanish card will work in France too. Anywhere within the E.C. for that matter.
Be sure to set Roaming on "ON"

Buen Camino

Hi, I had the same need. On arrival in Spain I bought a sim from one of the shops that sell all that gear. They sold be a Vodaphine sim and told me it would work all over Europe either I’d not know how to adjust the settings on my phone or it’s actually not true. I was recommended Orange but my Spanish is virtually nonexistent so I took what I was given.

Even though it didn’t work in France I was only without mobile reception for 2 days and the wifi in the auberge met my needs.
@Rick Heath - as @Gerald Hazelebach said above - you need to set Roaming on ON (I fell victim to that once as well...and then you learn ;))
Good luck

Save the time and effort by switching to Google FI cell service. It has worked for me seamlessly in over 30 countries including France, Spain, Dubai, Morocco, Israel, Jordan and more.

I'll look for you at SJPP Pilgrim Office on May 10 when I start Camino Frances...and will look at buying the Orange simcard too

Save the time and effort by switching to Google FI cell service. It has worked for me seamlessly in over 30 countries including France, Spain, Dubai, Morocco, Israel, Jordan and more.
I'm a fan of Google FI, even overseas, but I feel that I must warn that its cellular data is expensive. Wifi is generally available though so you may not need it. If you get into airplane mode and then turn on wifi you can call overseas for cents per minute.

I'm a fan of Google FI, even overseas, but I feel that I must warn that its cellular data is expensive. Wifi is generally available though so you may not need it. If you get into airplane mode and then turn on wifi you can call overseas for cents per minute.
At $10 per gigabyte it is cheap. Verizon was $25 for 250 megabytes.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
At $10 per gigabyte it is cheap. Verizon was $25 for 250 megabytes.
Google FI is intended to be used in the US where its data is rather expensive in my opinion. FI is allowed to be used overseas for short periods of time and, with some exceptions, you can be cut off for extended use overseas. So you have to balance what may be your somewhat expensive use at home with your overseas savings.

On my last camino my phone had a dual SIM capability and so I bought an Orange plan to get cheap data doing the day and in the evening I used FI and wifi to get cheap calls home.

Never had a problem using any SIM card in any part of Western Europe (mainland) or the Western Part of Eastern Europe.

I have T-Mobile for my phone service in the states and it worked on the Camino in 2018. I didn't change my sim card. When landing in Madrid the phone got a message welcome to Spain. When landing in Biarritz a message appeared welcome to France. It would great all across Spain to Santiago de Compestella then to Muxia and Finnistere.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
my understanding that Orange (as already mentioned by other Esteem Members) is just as good

My Respects on your volunteering at SJPdP - Good Lord Willing, see you come May 20th!
Looking forward to seeing people from the forum.

Looking forward to seeing people from the forum.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.